BURNCO Rock Products Ltd Employee Reviews

Worst run company I've ever worked for!!!!!!
Corporate Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2018
This company has no regard for its employee's, you are literally just a number and if you don't work your butt off and drink the company kool-aid you are fired on the spot. They have no work-life balance and expect tons of overtime. They grossly underpay and expect you to be grateful for just being there. The people are very negative and constantly complain but everyone just accepts this as the norm and management doesn't take any interest in anyone but their bottom line. If you like being worked to the bone and not being appreciated then this place is for you.For everyone else stay far away- TOXIC STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENT!!!!
Cons
Everything!!!
Great atmosphere and coworkers
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2019
I enjoy working here. I find it to be a team oriented place and I really enjoy my co-workers. They are actively working on improving the culture and you can feel the change happening.
Pros
Co-workers, team environment
Cons
Long hours, pay isn't great and some old school managers still around.
Zero respect for workers
Ready mix driver (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 November 2018
Management in red deer is not good one second you are awesome next your fired for not fitting in would not recommend unless you want to be fired just befor your probation period
Pros
None known
Cons
Poor management
Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB16 November 2018
Everyday is different
Good Management
Fun atmosphere
Interesting products
Good staff discounts
Physically demanding job which was nice. Was able to get into very good shape working here.
Worst Job
Skid Steer Operator/Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 July 2018
Management was terrible, poorly run, rude to customers when they have little knowledge of product, chooses the staff they like and plays favouritism with the yard worker whose been there longest. Treats u like trash with little pay. Had I’d know this going in wouldnt even have taken the job. They know your seasonal so they can just do whatever they want with u.
Pros
Not working there anymore
Cons
Not a good company to work
Aggregate Plant Helper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2018
Workplace culture is worst. Low pay and too physical. Not much to learn and no growth. Work location is not accessible to transit, too remote. No enjoyable part of the job.
Productive and Fun
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2018
Awesome place to work, great management. Continuous learning opportunities. Had many employee get together to show appreciation for had work during the summer
Burnco landscape center calgary
Burnco landscape center (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 September 2017
Was great starting out but over time they only hire school kids so they dont have to pay as much going into the fall is the worst becuase they think they can run the place with 3-5 guys you are nothing but an expense to burnco you are not a person to burnco you are just money if your not making burnco money you are not apart of burnco the management system for the area is never around they allow bullying by management 40-50 year old men holding their waists to a bunch of 15-19 year olds pre sad place to work once you get the experience sart pay is 14 hourly good luck getting a raise youll have to sell your soul b4 you get a cent from burnco landscape center Toxic toxic place
Pros
Some of the staff are awsome but also get treated poorly
Cons
Good luck getting your breaks when you want if you take your lunch its frowned upon toxic enviroment
Management and supervisors inmature
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB20 May 2018
Worked for the company for 17 years, was no work balance at the first few years and the last few years there was no security. They would lay people off and take months even up to 6 before bringing you back even though they promised to bring you back sooner. Management don't care about anything other then their wages. Management needs to take some courses on bullying in the workplace.
Pros
Managment
Cons
Wage
Poor Managment
Pant assistant (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 August 2017
When hired, was told they like to hire within and help employees learn and advance, after 7 years I've seen nothing but outside hires and layoff of long term employees. If you're hired to do a job, that's the job you will be doing forever if you choose to stay. No advancement.

Good pay, but not above average by much.

Long hours depending on position, some don't get enough hours.

Hard to balance work and life

Great employees

Too much micro management and old school "management buddy system"
Pros
Okay pay, Good employees
Cons
Managment, moral is extremely low. You're nothing but an expense

Want to know more about BURNCO Rock Products Ltd?

Ask a question
High stress
Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 February 2018
Long hours, high stress, terrible management when i worked there. Ive heard its changed alot over the last few years for the better. Which is good because it was bad
Not bad but not good
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2018
Lots of drama due to a union environment other than that it would be a good place to work..would go back if I had the chance. Good wages and benefits. Good parts room.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Poor upper management
Great pay and benefits, poor management, seasonal employment
Ready Mix employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2016
Every day at work is different. Concrete gets delivered to many different sites with many different specifications. It is very much a construction culture where the hours are feast and famine. This makes it difficult to lead a balanced life. You are expected to work very long days in the summer and risk layoff or intermittent work in the winter. The pay and benefits rival the best in the industry.

Management is very disappointing and has create a very negative downturn in the job culture. Many employees are seeking new work because of the lack of integrity and ignorance displayed by middle management. Upper management is not quite so toxic, but they are disassociated with the corporate culture and are either unaware or unconcerned with the direction middle management is taking the workforce.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Seasonal hours, noisy and dirty work.
Old School Management
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2014
This company and its sister company Tricycle would be great if the management was into the now, fostered more team environment, was less controlling (in particular the boss lady) and was more open to a work hard/play hard balance.

Culturally it is a very "stuffy" environment and the management creates a lot of their own politics which in turn set employees up to fail.
Pros
Good pay/benefits, company gym
Cons
Extreme Politics / Poor Management
I like the work Ethic
Cement Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
It was a great opportunity to work with Burnco for as many years as I did. I like the work environment and the team in general. I learnt lots of skills including being organized and planning your job in such a way that provides success.
Strong potential as a model employer going forward
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 July 2016
I worked with some amazing people while I was Operations Manager at this business in Edmonton. I liked the executive and respected upper management. Not everyone felt the same way and I had to endure some very poor culture from my immediate supervisor. There was also some misguided people at head office that ran with the slimmest of facts; making judgements before truly understanding the whole story, or respecting the intuition and experience of my reports.

From what I understand, it has improved significantly now that my supervisor has gone. And I'm glad. This means a new future for the company. With possible changes in the general attitude with HR going forward and the improvement of culture from abusive and micro managed, to more of a team environment; this company may do much better going forward than they have in the past.

However; all this is speculative and I must grade my experience for what it was. Poor culture and weak overall management while I was there.
Pros
Very good renumeration
Cons
micro-management and horribly negative culture.
Job description
Cement Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 December 2017
Very good company to work for
very demanding as our customers want supply and demand . So we have to work early hrs and long hours good employees to work with as we are a team. Good equipment and awesome mechanics to keep them running efficient.
Pros
Coffee suppied
Cons
Scheduled works times on a call in basis. No seniority
Horrible by all means
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2016
I worked at HO for almost 3 years...the worst years of my entire career. There won't be any kind of appreciation for your hardwork, the workload is unreal and you will be treated like a number. There is not grow, your voice is not gonna be heard, old school with very dump ways to work, no open to new perspectives or or opinions. People is saturated and unhappy there.' Leaders' lack of leadership basics. Sad.
Pros
Decent compensation
Cons
Everything else
Very demanding place both mentally and physically, no appreciation for anyone
Office employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2015
I worked at the head office location in Calgary for many years and left to a much better company and I am glad I did.

This company has some long term stability, depending on which department you work with or the demand of the position. I highly encourage anyone to be very careful of the office politics and to just keep your head down and work like an office slave. I actually used to joke about that to my friends... because it's really true, only the extremely hard workers who like working crazy hard for their entire shift will survive here, if you get caught giggling, you will be glared at. Seriously such a stuffy environment and its sad because they have terrible turnover because of this. They never say thanks for going the extra mile or doing an amazing job, they see this as this is what they are paying you for. It's an old school mentality and management style that does not retain quality staff. Maybe they have improved since I was employed, but I highly doubt it. If you get a terrible feeling in your stomach on your first few weeks with this place, then listen to your gut 100% and search for new employment.

Room for advancement is very slim as the long term staff never seem to leave.
Pros
This company has great benefits
Cons
Poor management, no advancement, overwork lower level employees (admin jobs etc) have no appreciation for your hard work, you are just a number to them (toss long term management like the trash if they need to budget cut)
Toxic place to work!
Receptionist (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta12 July 2017
The company has a very toxic atmosphere due to one of the upper management staff and their need to bully employees. I was glad when my contract with them ended.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
The culture supports dysfunctional and intimidating behaviour by upper management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BURNCO Rock Products Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

BURNCO Rock Products Ltd Reviews by Location