Burnaby School District

Burnaby School District Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
I worked in the Burnaby School District as a Student Teacher and found it to be more casual and a good environment with collaborative colleagues. I would recommend it.
I found Burnaby to be a good school district but I found it difficult to advance. Some administrators I liked more than others. I found that the system for advancement did not seem to be fair and that if you were not with the in crowd you did not advance.
very relaxed , understanding people not rushed, just an over all great place for anyone to work and make a very fair wage, would recommend it to anyone looking for work
I love working the kids, it’s a nice family job if you are planning to have kids. The staff is very supportive, the school culture is amazing, I look forward to going to work.
Burnaby SD has been a positive experience for me. I work with dedicated people in all jobs done with in the school. Relaxed atmosphere great principal and staff.
I believe for what I do I get paid well. This is only part-time hours 3 hours10 min/day. I am off when students are off so can’t complain about the time off.
Paraprofessionals are not valued here. Safety a huge issue. Lack of staff, especially when EA absent becomes a BIG safety issue. INCLUSION no longer a priority.
GOOD LUCK Choose another district better hours equals more pay
it was fun working there I was there for a short time yet I enjoyed my time there. My hours were great and balanced with my regular life. the staff that trained me were very helpful.
The admin and staff I worked with are all committed to the occupation. Hardworking and ambitious; working for the Burnaby School District has always been the highlight of my career.
Pros
Amazing students, passionate co-workers, job security
Cons
Some silly parents that might give you a hard time
I taught in Burnaby for 13 years, full and part-time, mainly in intermediate classrooms. Teaching is a very challenging job, as you probably know if you are reading this, and there is such a huge range of skills needed that it is almost impossible to boil it all down in a review. I have worked with wonderful people over the years, but have also worked with people (administrators) who were abrasive and unprofessional. While working with children is challenging, exhausting, and rewarding - working with adults can make or break a school. My advice is to find out who the administrator is and what reputation they have so that you know what you are walking into.
Pros
Can be very rewarding
Cons
Can be exhausting
As an Educational Assistant, our role is to support students with special needs. Many students have challenging behavior that may affect the entire classroom, which can be stressful and exhausting at times. Every day is different and you must be flexible as the needs of the school can change day to day (short staff). I've always been treated well by all staff members and find the culture/workplace environment welcoming and positive. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with physical and mentally challenging students with little or no support. My current school is fantastic and I receive supports from the entire team. I've been at other schools where you're on your own and this can be overwhelming, difficult and lonely. In recent years, I've noticed a change in our society where many children/students are coming to school entitled, privileged, lacking discipline and/or manners, creating more "needs" in our classrooms. EA's can burnout fast, so it's important to balance your life and avoid taking this job home (mentally and physically). EA's are asked to support more than they can handle at times, but I think that's a provincial issue (lack of funds from the ministry), not a Burnaby School District problem. The most enjoyable part of my job: making a difference in children lives, educating the minds of the future. Hours of work per day is 5.5 hrs, max. 27.5 per week (no paid lunch). This is a part time job, as were paid for 9 months of the year. Most EA's have 2-3 jobs to support themselves financially. Great benefits for permanent EA's.
Pros
Benefits, day time hours, culture
Cons
stressful, part time work, low annual pay
SD 41 is an amazing place to work. The school district is very interested in Social Emotional Learning, and in promoting the best education for all students.
Pros
great pay
It's a great summer job the only downside is come September your done working. But from June to September you'll work just about every day(except Sat/Sun)
It is a challenging job, however the Principal that I work with is very supportive and the environment is good. I have enjoyed working for this district for the past 6 years.
Pros
paid pro d days, courses offered through out the year, good benefit plans, two months off during the summer
Cons
only work 5.5 hours a day, so have to have a second or third job in order to make ends meet, at times you work with more than one student at a time, and that can be very challenging.
Excellent School District! Very friendly.
I have been working for 20+ years for this district and it is a great place to work.

I am very happy to teach for this school district!
Its a great place to work for. I have worked for many years now and I highly recommend this place as it has a great working environment.