Burnaby School District Employee Reviews

Personality very important
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Various23 August 2018
I taught in Burnaby for 13 years, full and part-time, mainly in intermediate classrooms. Teaching is a very challenging job, as you probably know if you are reading this, and there is such a huge range of skills needed that it is almost impossible to boil it all down in a review. I have worked with wonderful people over the years, but have also worked with people (administrators) who were abrasive and unprofessional. While working with children is challenging, exhausting, and rewarding - working with adults can make or break a school. My advice is to find out who the administrator is and what reputation they have so that you know what you are walking into.
Pros
Can be very rewarding
Cons
Can be exhausting
Challenging, fast paced environment and a great part-time job
Educational Assistant (Full time) (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 April 2018
As an Educational Assistant, our role is to support students with special needs. Many students have challenging behavior that may affect the entire classroom, which can be stressful and exhausting at times. Every day is different and you must be flexible as the needs of the school can change day to day (short staff). I've always been treated well by all staff members and find the culture/workplace environment welcoming and positive. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with physical and mentally challenging students with little or no support. My current school is fantastic and I receive supports from the entire team. I've been at other schools where you're on your own and this can be overwhelming, difficult and lonely. In recent years, I've noticed a change in our society where many children/students are coming to school entitled, privileged, lacking discipline and/or manners, creating more "needs" in our classrooms. EA's can burnout fast, so it's important to balance your life and avoid taking this job home (mentally and physically). EA's are asked to support more than they can handle at times, but I think that's a provincial issue (lack of funds from the ministry), not a Burnaby School District problem. The most enjoyable part of my job: making a difference in children lives, educating the minds of the future. Hours of work per day is 5.5 hrs, max. 27.5 per week (no paid lunch). This is a part time job, as were paid for 9 months of the year. Most EA's have 2-3 jobs to support themselves financially. Great benefits for permanent EA's.
Pros
Benefits, day time hours, culture
Cons
stressful, part time work, low annual pay
excellent place to work
Coordinator-Student Safety (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 April 2018
SD 41 is an amazing place to work. The school district is very interested in Social Emotional Learning, and in promoting the best education for all students.
Pros
great pay
Good Summer job
Painter (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 April 2018
It's a great summer job the only downside is come September your done working. But from June to September you'll work just about every day(except Sat/Sun)
Hard work, good benefit package, and opportunity to take courses to help with your job. A good working environment
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby School district10 March 2018
It is a challenging job, however the Principal that I work with is very supportive and the environment is good. I have enjoyed working for this district for the past 6 years.
Pros
paid pro d days, courses offered through out the year, good benefit plans, two months off during the summer
Cons
only work 5.5 hours a day, so have to have a second or third job in order to make ends meet, at times you work with more than one student at a time, and that can be very challenging.
Teacher, Grades 2 to 12 (Current Employee) –  Metrotown, BC8 January 2018
Excellent School District! Very friendly.
I have been working for 20+ years for this district and it is a great place to work.
I am very happy to teach for this school district!
n/a
Program Assistant II, Parks & Recreation (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2016
Its a great place to work for. I have worked for many years now and I highly recommend this place as it has a great working environment.