Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion

Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews

Learning How to Work with a Diverse Group of People in the Social Services Field

A typical day on the job involves working one-on-one with a client who has a physical and/or intellectual disability. The duties performed for this job are unique in the sense that it is catered to what support the client is needing in order to go about their day-to-day lives. Management can be improved in terms of providing more structure, but they are accessible in terms of resources, etc. The workplace culture is open; however, the dynamic between veteran and newcoming staff can be rocky at times. Overall, the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help someone attain their independence, regardless of vulnerabilities.

Good work place and fair.

Good company. Excellent support for individuals. Fair and square. BCGEU needs support their members not managements. Baci got excellent service on base of unique people

Pros

Good supporting manager, Individuals priority and service.

Cons

Low salary, weak unions, union steward often with management.

Insights into Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Good Place to Start as a Newbie

As a residence worker, work culture depends on which house you're assigned. I've only started working for a few months now in one of their houses and the senior staffs were very helpful and informative when it comes to the responsibilities and duties on how to handle the residents in the house. I was able to somehow quickly adapt and familiarize with the house thanks to them. Overall, I can say that the work can sometimes be challenging, but it's manageable with the right perspective.

I obviously love my job. 13 yrs with the company

I love my job because I love supporting Individuals with disabilities. I know this Individuals needs staffs like us , so they can live a better , happy, safe life. While we get paid plus benefits . I learned a lot from the trainings I get , support from admin, co workers and supervisors. We worked as a team helping each other grow. We have our differences but we worked for it as a team and accepted each other differences ,opinions , beliefs towards a common goal for supporting Individuals .

BACI a place for growth and development.

BACI for me is one of the best Non profit Company . Managers , Supervisors are very supportive and understanding. They focused on the well being and development of the individuals we serve and the Staffs.All Staffs are highly skilled workers who are well trained to do their jobs. BACI has different kinds of Residential Homes focused on different supports for individuals with high medical needs, Deaf and blind, Behavioural and challenging , Child Care,Senior Care and Day programs.I love working in BACI for 13 years .

Coworkers and clients make the job worthwhile

Your day is typically spent on transit, in the community, or at the centre. Coordinators should have assistants because they do so much. Avoid upper floor management as they can power trip on certain people and just aren’t down to earth. All in all a pretty good place to work because of the support workers and lovely clients.

Productive environment very cooperating fellow employees

I love working here from day one I feel welcomed and I get constructive feedback from my employees and supervisor I am glad to be a part of this organization.

Fun place to work and grow.

A fun place to work collaboratively with honesty, respect and dedication.Teamwork and a heart to support the individuals at residential and community level.

Pros

Christmas/Staff parties

Cons

Long hours if needed.

The staff are wonderful. Management is not

Worst place ever to work. You are a number. You are not a person. The favoritism is rampant. Management is demeaning and puts you down at every turn. Horrible place to work. Even the people we support are violent. Aggressive. Rude. And they get away with it because everyone is too afraid to tell them no. That's not okay in fear if being punched in the face or worse by the clients. Some of the clients should be locked because of their behaviors.

Pros

Cons

Everything safety. Dangerous clients no support from management

Over worked

Always under staff. Some managers is unreasonable is not not open to suggestions and has favouritism. Doesn’t follow seniority when they want someone to work.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Under staff

Good place to start your career

I appreciate the support I got during the time I was working there as a temporary staff member. The center I was working at needs updates and other workshops for the stuff in order to catch up on what is new in the field.

stressful but managable

the hardest part of the job is to work with different staff. the job is very easy for me, the clients are very sweet and easy to care for. The things that I have learned from this company is how you deal with staff.

great place to work for nice team .

busy environment learned to use products effectively making a difference. learning from the management team . communication with different people . the hardest part of the job was convincing the customers to go for the products .

Pros

great team of people

Cons

not enough time to complete the task

Productive and fun environment

The people and worket here are really nice abd good. They treated us a family and friends. We worked together and we're having a team work here. That why you don't feel lime you're alone.

Fun place to work

Working at this company is really rewarding. The employers are really nice. The supervisor are really flexible in giving schedule. I love working here because everyone is really respectful of everyone's culture.

The work environment was relaxed and easy going

The work environment was relaxed and easy going. The management team was friendly and understanding. They staff was also super friendly. The admin duties were for an entry level position.

It is a awesome place to work must have a strong interest in this field

I really liked volunteering my time at Burnaby Association the Staff were really kind and friendly if you didn't know something or needed help they would kindly explain it to you.

Pros

flexible hours lunch breaks close to Skytrain station

Cons

lots of Responsibilities paperwork when the place closes.

Challenging workplac

BACI was a fun place to work at time but also proved to be trying at times with minimal staff support from management down. Very gossipy and cliquey not the healthiest place to work.

striving for independence

I am excited to participate 3 days per week in the day program.I am learning transit routes to create more independence, how to be a team player, learn computer and email skills.

Pros

Great opportunity to learn to adapt to different personalities

Cons

End of day can be quite overwhelming and distracting

Answer phone, make coffee and clean

I liked working at Burnaby Association because I like answering phones, and i was making coffee, I Learned that when a Customer gets mad over the phone with you, you pass the phone to someone else, Management was good, I didn't have a Co-worker really, The hardest part of the Job is trying not to argue with a customer on the phone and to keep your cool, most enjoyable part of the job was helping people at the front desk.

Pros

coffee

Cons

customers bad attitude on phone

Empower

Empowering people and staff to improve their qualities of life. Provide mentorship for people to develop and obtain goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement