Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 February 2018
Great place for younger individuals to work. Difficult to advance within the company. Lots to do and always something to do to stay busy. Staff works together as a team.
Positive, energetic workplace with caring staff and management
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON10 February 2018
Bulk barn was a wonderful first job to have. It was a very positive and quite frankly fun workplace but still managed tot each me many beneficial skills that will help me for the rest of my life.
Pros
forgiving boss
Cons
heavy lifting
Overall good
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 February 2018
Unfortunately, it seems the company only allows franchisees to allocate a very low percentage of sales to wages therefore a raise in pay is unlikely. Generally a good work environment, however it can be difficult to break this weird outdated notion that women are cashiers and men are for lifting stock. Even when you leave, some codes will always remain and a lifetime of practical food knowledge.
cashier
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2018
worked cash and stocked the shelves between costumers and had to deal with money, debit, and credit card transactions also had to help costumers find what they needed it.
I loved the previous managers
CASHIER/ CLEANER (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 February 2018
The job was very chill unless you were a cashier at Christmas. You were usually working by yourself cleaning bins. Thats how you started out and then they slowly introduce you to cashier.
Pros
very good break times
Cons
minimum wage with not many raises or benefits
Decent Job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 February 2018
Must have a good memory for all product codes. Very little room for advancement and no benefits. Must be able to clean and to always be handling customers. Knowledge in foods and baking is an asset
Very enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 January 2018
I worked at the Bulk Barn for two years where it was always a very encouraging and warm environment. The customers were always pleasant, and the management was always very understanding in regards to balancing my school/work schedule. Excellent experience for my first job.
Pros
Wonderful Environment
Cons
Little advancement
Good management culture with a potential increase in future
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Varennes, QC29 January 2018
Job requires a lot of heavy lifting and gets tiring at times but the team keeps a great positive attitude which makes tasks easier. A good point is knowing all the different types of food which interesting.
Very fun work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS26 January 2018
The bulk barn was a very fun and rewarding work place. Made lots of new friends by working there and seeing all the different types of food was interesting.
Poor Management
RETAIL STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON22 January 2018
great place to work if you have good employees, no incentives to stay with the company. They do not think ahead more than one day. Poor upper management, micro management
Pros
are none
Cons
poor upper management
Great workplace
Supervisor & Key holder (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON18 January 2018
One of the best things about the bulk barn in Stratford is the Owner/Operator. She knows how to be a leader. Great environment, most of the employees are good minus some high school drama type issues.
Productive work environment and steady work
Stock Person/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 January 2018
All the staff are nice and outgoing and everyone works well with each other. Reliable co-workers Willing to help out if you need a hand. Lots of heavy lifting and product code memorization.
Pros
Boss treats all staff to group dinners for select occasions
Working at TimHortons VS Bulkbarn
Cashier/cleaner (Current Employee) –  SouthCommon14 January 2018
Having worked at a TimHortons, I understand what a fast paced / stressful environment is like and also what was expected of me while I worked there, maintaining a rhythm and making sure that I worked out any mistakes that arose quickly and efficiently.
At Bulkbarn I needed to learn a lot of codes and identifying differences of certain bulk products. During the fast seasons it gets pretty busy there so it is very important to always be certain that all products go through correctly.

Accuracy is key while speed comes in time is also very important to remember.
Pros
Very pleasant people to work with, lots of opportunities to grow and learn different things
Cons
Became very busy, stress there was a little different then the stress working at a TimHortons
Fun workplace, good people, no benefits
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2018
The management is very friendly, the employees are welcoming and friendly. As a workplace its pretty low stakes. As a job, you get minimum, no benefits. Hours can be hard to come by, especially if you need the work.
Good, but not great
Stock/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 January 2018
I worked at bulk barn for a year. I was cross trained on both cash and stock. For stock, it was a rather fun experience. You got to work in the back room with a small team of people that youd easily consider your friends. Cash however is a different story. If you take too long to find a code for a product, the customer and managment will get irritated. Keep in mind there are hundreds of codes all written in tiny font on a scroll. I was yelled at by the manager infront of customers for messing up a single code. If you have a very good memory and can deal with annoying customers and managment, this is the job for you.
Pros
Great co-workers, fun enviroment
Cons
Managment
It Depends on the Manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 January 2018
I loved my time there. My colleagues were fun people, and the manager and supervisors were all nice and approachable. I learned quite a bit about baking while I was working there, and I thought the customers in the area were always agreeable folk. After I quit, I heard that management changed and things haven't been the same since. Always talk to current employees about how they feel working somewhere before you seek a job there.
lots of team work
CASHIER / SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 January 2018
lots of team work was need at Bulk Barn to close the store. Takes the effort of everyone to complete multiple tasks at once to be ready for close and then open the next day. Most enjoyable part was the night time closers did what they were told and, communication was well executed in order to complete the tasks.
Pros
Breaks are spaced nicely
Cons
Management could have more patience.
Working for food
Store Clerk (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 January 2018
Sweep & mop floors keep store clean
clean bins
weigh produce
help with customers
unload truck
stock shelves and rolling
fill bin up
keep track of produce
Pros
discount
Cons
short hours
Alright place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB1 January 2018
It was a standard retail job, not any worse than someone could expect but not the most amazing job I've ever had. 6/10 wouldn't work there again but for someone in high school it's good
For Bulk Barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON31 December 2017
My first month at Bulk Barn was good. I got along with everyone that worked there, My pay was 400$ or more. Than the Manager hired someone who has already worked at Bulk Barn before and the Manager started dropping everyone's hours and gave her more. My pay got cut back, I was being treated poorly. For my first ACTUAL job I was pretty let down over the outcome. I would have loved to have stayed there but not if i was working little time over the maximum of 200$ But with this experience i hope to find another better job that i will get respect at and better pay.
Pros
Good boss. Good costumers.
Cons
Short hours, Not enough pay, Bad manners.