Bulk Barn Pay & Benefits reviews

Absolutely Terrible Company!
Cashier/servant.lackey (Former Employee) –  yeah right, On11 June 2019
Worked here for 6 years - NEVER got a raise even though they kept demanding more duties from me in the same time span. Head Office could NOT care less about the employees - all they care about is money. No matter how good of a worker you are (and the guy who owned the franchise I worked at said I was one of his best employee in a long time) they assume you don't know anything, are worthless, speak in a demeaning tone to you, and over-all treat you like you don't know anything. They keep adding more and more products THAT ALL LOOK THE SAME and then penalize cashiers when they can't tell 20 different white powders apart!
No matter how diligently the employees clean - and the cleaning is back-breaking because you have to hunch over and sweep under the bins for all five aisles, meaning you are walking and reaching while you are bent over which is incredibly painful - the place is always dirty and usually have mice problems.
Employees are expected to routinely lift over 50LBS BY THEMSELVES!
The re-usable container program made our lives SO MUCH more difficult because the customers fight with you about the cleanliness of their containers - "Why can't my container have rust/dust/actual dirt in them?!?!" - and then you get yelled at, so you just give up and allow people to use dirty containers to get their food because min. wage is not enough compensation to get yelled at over dirty containers ALL DAY LONG.
Head Office introduces new products and then immediately discontinues them, which means if your store is a franchise, your boss is FORCED to buy this new product and then FORCED
  more... to discount it at a ridiculous rate because you can't sell product for more than a month after it is discontinued. This contributes to people never getting raises cuz the store is such a money pit.
If you have serious allergies or auto-immune issues, don't even set foot in there. Cross-contamination happens all day long, even though the employees actually do their best to keep things clean and tidy and safe.
The environment is so toxic that employees are encouraged to turn against each other, spy on each other, and report back to the boss with any wrong doings (including "using the bathroom too much").
Also there is not enough room in the stock room so food is often kept in the bathrooms!
If you are going to shop there, please be nice to the employees - they are overworked, make min. wage, degraded at every turn, and cashiers are not technically allowed to have something to drink with them while they work!
Like, Tim Hortons is also a cesspool but even they have a better corporate management team!
Pros
25% off for employees
Cons
literally everything else
Good Community
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2019
There are no employee benefits, which makes this job very attractive to high school and university students. That said, there is very high job security. I have been working there for almost two years and there have been two firings. Some of my coworkers have worked there for over four years. The community is great because it is a small environment so you really get to know your coworkers.
Pros
Great Job Security
Cons
No Benefits
If there was zero stars that would be it
Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ON6 May 2019
This was the best job I ever had until it turned corporate. They have zero idea what they are doing. This company has not changed in 30 years. They expect the world from you with zero thanks or appreciation. Very little pay for the amount of work this job entails. District manager harasses and bullies everyone she doesn’t like until they are gone. Company knows this and does absolutely nothing. No benefits at store level, even for management. Pathetic. You could work like a dog all day and night, have to cover the HUGE amount of sick calls yourself working crazy hours. No one cares, you never get the time back. YOU GET NOTHING. They will drill that into your head. Then your a scolded when you don’t have enough staff in the store, yet your not allowed to hire more. I had to watch them bully out every employee who actually cared about their job. Don’t even bother trying to discipline anyone, takes forever to get approval. Oh but when you do something they don’t like your disciplined within hours. This is the most unorganized unappreciative company I have ever worked for. Definitely taught me what not to look for in a company.
Pros
Can’t think of any
GOOD JOB for PT students
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 April 2019
Once you have a good team on your hands, you know you can accomplish anything at Bulk Barn. Lots of cleaning to do to avoid cross contamination as well as avoiding bug contamination. One of my favorite jobs when I was younger.
Pros
15 minute breaks, 30 minute breaks, good work enviornment, good management
Great job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 April 2019
This was a great first job, nothing to complain about other than the amount of hours I was getting. It was hard work but it taught me a lot about working hard and completing tasks .
Pros
people, boss, work, environment
Cons
short hours
Great place to work while in school.
Supervisor & key holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2019
This is a very flexible job which makes it great for students to work at. The company is very flexible with availability but not very understanding when it comes to being sick or when circumstances permit an individual to work.
Pros
flexibility with hours.
Cons
No coverage when sick.
Relaxed work environment with poor unorganized management
Bulk Barn Cashier/Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC9 January 2019
Hours are not consistent, raises in salary are very little or non existent, no benefits at all, if someone isn’t performing the way they should be while working, there’s little to no communication at all between managers and workers.
Pros
The job is easy
Cons
No benefits, low pay, poor management
Worst retail experience
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2019
There is little room for advancement. You rarely see your support staff. The amount of work expected of staff is extremely high given the lack.of labour hours provided. There is no security for hours unless you are a salaried manager. They do no provide medical/dental benefits. They micromanage everything but from a distance. Head office doesn't appear to have a clue what it's like to be on the ground level anymore. They have no incentive for staff to go above and beyond, making it impossible to grow a successful team of people who care about your business.
Pros
25% discount on regular priced merchandise
Cons
No medical benefits, no support, no room for growth unless you want to move
Enjoyable enough
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON5 December 2018
I worked there long enough to make some good friends along the way, however it does come with it's downsides. I did enjoy the opportunity I had to work there, but hours were too easily cut and really brought it down.
Happy workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2018
Bulk Barn was a great first job. A very happy environment, with lots of support. I loved going into work and seeing all the friendly smiles. I learned how to manage my time between work and school.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
always short staffed
Fun and interesting place to work but management can be frustrating at times.
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 November 2018
Most days at Bulk Barn are enjoyable. The job is entertaining and most coworkers are easy to get along with. However, the management and corporate level of this company are not on the same page. Corporate is often making decisions that would be better off if left to the store managers who understand the situations better. Putting that aside, the salary is definitely lower than it should be. I understand retail positions are not exactly "high skilled" but I believe that the work merits an extra dollar per hour on top of minimum wage at least. Working at Bulk Barn is not a robotic process like scanning bar codes at a grocery store. There are important things we do as employees that are surely above our pay grade, but corporate is only concerned with profit margins and not employee relations. Overall this is a place for a part time job during the school year and maybe full time in the summer, not a career.
Pros
Interesting, Cool Candy/Foods, Discount
Cons
Many responsibilities, Min Wage, Management Decision Making
OK place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 October 2018
Bulk barn was a great place to work when I was in high school as they attained to my hours and needs. However as I got older I began to realize the many management issues they had, as well 0 - no benefits. We got absolutely nothing there, and as a supervisor I did way more than regular staff, and was only payed 50 cents more an hour. Our store had nothing more than a supervisor, there was no active manager and lead to many disputes. Good for the first little bit, but very unorganized
Pros
good hours, hours you wanted/needed were given to you
Cons
long shifts, bad management
Things have changed...
Cashier & Stockworker (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON21 October 2018
Used to have wonderful employees but the new crew is disappointing... the workplace drama is horrendous and just gets worse as it goes along. Things used to be great but it’s definitely gone downhill.
Cons
Employee Drama, No Benefits/Discounts
Poor place to work
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC23 August 2018
No job security, little chance of advancement, dysfunctional management, no raises, no accountability, variable amount of working hours, no first aide attendant,
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Dismal place to work
Unprofessional and immature place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 August 2018
Employees are typically high school students who are easy to exploit. Management is terrible, no support from head office. No room for growth or benefits
Ok for high school students
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 August 2018
This job is only good for part-time work especially if you don't have a life. You can not book time off, you do not get benefits, the pay is minimum, the 25 cent pay raise is not worth the amount of work you are expected. The crew members are nice, and some of the managers are nice. Overall, it is an ok entry level job to make some money. There is no incentive to try hard or prove your worth
Great job
Head Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 July 2018
Fun environment, and easy work days. We were given a nice discount on products which i appreciated and a fair salary. I would work there again. nice people
Productive simple workplace with good employees
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 July 2018
Productive simple workplace once you get used to it. Friendly sociable environment. Where I worked good employees. Good place for work experience and good place to learn new skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Wage cut off for lunch or breaks.
Low pay no benefits
Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 June 2018
Boring work place people were nice but the place sucks.. little hours little pay no benefits I would not reccomend to someone who isn't a student this is a great place for someone who wants to get in and out quick not a long term employment field
Cons
Productive and organized, but also fun and energetic.
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON26 May 2018
Bulk Barn has been my job for three years now, and it is a very good place to work. The management is great, job security is good too. I can only work weekends during school because of my extracurricular activities, but they are flexible and would let me do that. The work environment is friendly and fun, but they are also hard workers and prioritize their jobs. However, our store does not have enough workers to do a complete clean sometimes, so there isn't time for our extra cleaning that should be done weekly.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
not enough workers on one shift