Bulk Barn

Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Decent Retail Experience starting point

Just going to explain the pros and cons first... In my experience having a flexible schedule is great for working favorable shifts or when plans change. You can easily book it off in advance, talk to the manager or switch shifts with someone with the help of a Supervisor. The downside to this is that someone has their shifts changed and it isn't always communicated to them. So if something comes up and your shift is changed (to an earlier start time or different day in the week) and you are not at work during the change, very little is done to communicate that to you. However, when the time comes to work that shift and you aren't there, you will now be called and told that you are late by the same person who knew about the change. Ex: I was scheduled to work Monday 1:30PM - 9:30PM which is my typical closing shift and I work it all the time. Someone had quit on Sunday while I wasn't working so I didn't know about it. That person was supposed to start at 11AM on Monday and work until 7PM. So they gave me that shift, changed the new week schedule on Sunday and then called me at 12:30PM on Monday to tell me I was late for work. Most Bulk Barns are different depending on the people you work with or have shop there. It can be very repetitive but also rewarding when helping customers find what they need. I think its a great place to start in customer service because if you can handle working there it will be easier everywhere else. State your availability from the beginning. Lots of people say that want Full time but can only do that for a month before school and never mention -

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Poor Communication

awful place to work:)

i really hated working here. the store was very unsanitary, the customers were often rude, i was paid minimum wage to do work that i wasnt paid enough for. i have not one single good thing to say about this company.

Pros

free samples

Cons

unsanitary, overworked and underpaid, awful hours, terrible management

Overworked and stressful

When I started it was franchised owned and the manager was awesome. Lately the store is now run by corporate. Plus no benefits! They work you to the bone! Head office cares more about the earnings than the lives of their workers! The only good thing is the people I work with at the store.

Pros

Flexibility, good for a first job

Cons

not paid enough for what you have to do, overworked, no benefits

Good people to work with

Poor management, never there, dose not resolve issues. Favoritism, no respect . Poor pay, no rewards for good work. No pay raises, no benefits. Head office interferes too much

Cons

No benefits, big workloads, and overall stress

Bulk Barn does not have you as a person in their mind. To corporate you are just a number. Multiple occasions where phone calls happened from head office to complete a task without the store manager knowing anything, even though it was submitted by head office a day or two earlier than the deadline in. There are no benefits that you get, unless you work higher up at their head office. High demands, ridiculous amounts of repetitive cleaning, not listening to anything from the employees (example: cashier masks up at the tills to reduce pain and swelling of our feet for standing on concrete floors all day). Overall do not recommend.

Pros

Decent staff at certain locations

Cons

Repetitive cleaning, long hours, no benefits, stress

Fun place to work

I loved working at bulk barn they always accommodated me for days i needed off and were very fair with their work load was an amazing first job. I learned a lot about work life there and the management was awesome.

Pros

good hours

stressful and underpaid

Head Office is micromanagement central. Wants to control every little thing you do, so you end up being a babysitter over a manager. Pays next to nothing but expects you to be grateful for the penny's they pay while also overworking staff. Doesn't pay to stay at this company long as they don't seem to care about loyalty. If you're a keyholder or anyone on the management team don't expect to have a life because they expect you to revolve everything around them. Rules and policies only seem to apply to some people and they have different standards for everyone even if you have the same job title. Don't expect to get a raise unless minimum wage goes up because that's the only time it'll ever happen, unless you get "promoted" which means 30 to 40 more cents an hour to deal with even more stress on a daily basis. They change how they want the stores run all the time, and these stores have a high turnover rate so don't get comfortable. If you're a cashier or stock clerk don't expect to be able to save money because you'll be lucky to get 10 to 15 hours a week.

Pros

Snacks?

Cons

Poor upper managerment, underpaid, little support

Fine for starting out

Pretty much what the title says. Regular min wage job that is good for teens, people starting out, and people who need extra work. It was a good first job.

Ok first job

Good place for snacking on the job. Although my franchise owner was cheap and always tries to underpay me. Decent first job but it’s a dead end job…..

Pros

snacking

Cons

minimal hours and pay

Sometimes slow, good people to work with

Honestly working at bulk barn has been good the manager there is really easy going. She’s understanding of your life and is very adaptable but she of course has expectations. The work there is good when it’s moderately busy, when it’s slow it’s quite boring. Overall a good starter job.

Pros

Kind staff

Cons

Not many hours

Jobs at Bulk Barn

See more jobs

Very Fun Laidback Job!

Very fun atmosphere to work in, I learned lots being there for 2 years, made lots of squinted friends through customers and employees.Management was awesome when the store first opened, I learned so much from her on how to handle negative customers with a bad attitude.The different cultures I worked with were awesome, we were all like family in there it was great we were a team.The hardest part was quitting but the enjoyable part was when we all got along.

Pros

Testing the new products!

Cons

Cleaning under the barrels!

Great people to work with.

Worked at two different locations. Management was great and understanding, head office would send auto ships that didn't always make scene for each location.

Poor Value of Employees

The day is usually quite slow however it does pickup during holidays. Learned quite a bit about food sensitivities and different recipes. The hardest part and worst part about being employed at a bulk barn IS the management, they do not care about you! You are disposable to them and that is all. You must provide a fully open availability, answer to every beck and call, then you get less than livable hours. Don't expect more than 2-3 shifts a week with at most 5 hours, unless you're a supervisor or key holder. If you are a student i very much recommend looking elsewhere they are incredibly inflexible. Some locations here in Calgary are notorious for not being able to keep employees and having a high turnover rate. Corporate only care about sales and will save money at any corner they can. Customers are usually what keeps the day going for me, most are very nice and the regulars always bring a smile to my face.

Pros

discounts on product

Cons

barely any shifts, few hours, no flexibility

A neat and a hard working environment.

The typical day at work would be to check the store and see what would need to be re-stocked. What I learned at work was how to time mange and be a team player. The hardest part of the job would have to be the night time shift.

good job if you are just starting

good starting out job, learned many things but communication was not what it should have been. hardest part about the job was management holding their position over your head.

Pros

good hours

Cons

employees no show

Fun and wholesome

The managers honestly care about their staff. There’s a friendly air between all staff members. The managers don’t favour anyone. However, when Covid caused our hours to be cut, the manager made an extra effort to ensure that the employees who need to pay rent would get as many hours as they can afford them. Given that most of the employees are part time, there were no added benefits.

Pros

Friendly, kind, and moderately passed work environment

Cons

Few hours

Great experience overall.

I had a great time working at Bulk Barn. At first, I was on the edge of being fired within the first two months but after I got the hang of it, I really improved on my work and enjoyed it. After a while I got promoted to key holder as well. Although, this job is physically demanding at times. My review as a sales associate, the hardest part was learning the code numbers for the products since there are so many of them/sometimes customers are a but overwhelming to deal with. As a key holder, I faced sometimes the end of the night balancing and being out at the end of the night on scheduled time. Depending on your region, your higher ups can sometimes be a pain; luckily my supervisors, manager especially were great and had an amazing staff overall! along with our district/regional manager as well!!

Pros

Flexibility, great team, great manager, great supervisors

Cons

Customers can be a hassle, physically demanding at times

Fast paced & stressful but very enriching

Often very busy, especially now during the pandemic, therefore very stressful since you're often left alone to multitask at the cash. You have to do the cash and also clean basically all day for minimum wage, while many people I know who have simple cash jobs and are payed more. My location often provided poor scheduling with constantly changing schedules, and my availabilities were often disregarded. Very limited vacation and often micromanaged even if you've been there long. Some good things though, staff is usually nice to work with and be around and teamwork is very common. It's a job with many components so it really prepares you for other jobs since you learn to do so much. Advancement and promotions are usually rare and hard to get, however. Not many privileges while working there and there's random new rules practically every day for some reason. It can also be very physically demanding, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Pros

flexible dress code

Cons

poor scheduling, low pay for job type

Good experience for entry level

I am very fortunate to have had the chance to work at Bulk barn. It is very physically demanding in terms of customer service, cleaning, and overall tasks for the close every night. But it is a good experience to have.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Salary

OK for part time

I was a full time supervisor & key holder, we only received a 50 cent raise for becoming a supervisor and it was mandatory to work one week days, one week evenings including the weekend (so no social life), they were very hesitant to give out raises aswell, and when I started applying else where, the Manager at the time tried to give me poor reviews which I later learned was to try and keep me at Bulk Barn. Also the job consists mostly of dusting and cleaning scoops, like ALL DAY. Oh and there's no lunch room, there was a microwave on a counter and a folding table for you to set up in the middle of the back storage...All in all, it would be ok for someone in high school looking for part time evenings at min wage.

Pros

Small Discount

Cons

Mandatory Evenings & Weekends, Low pay, Small chance to move up in the company

Okay as a beginner job

Bulk Barn is a great place to learn how to work in a medium/slow-paced environment, with lots of opportunities to learn about the products and help customers with your knowledge. Would also be good for anyone passionate about baking or cooking, as I learned a lot about them during my time!Low stress! The only thing I have encountered that is particularly stressful are the customers, but that's not the company's fault!Although, in my specific experience, I have worked at 4 in my city in the past 5 years and have never advanced past cashier (even though I have been trained in multiple areas, still only make cashier's wage). Even after being promised to be trained as a supervisor more times than I can remember. Also, the customer base mostly consists of senior citizens or young adults/kids who snack on the food very often, so it can get very frustrating to constantly have to tell people they must ask to sample food, and miscommunications between senior customers can lead to frustrations from the customers.

Pros

Lots of product knowledge to learn about, low stress, slow-paced, easy to use online scheduling system

Cons

Customers are often rude, customers expect you to be knowledgeable in the products, bad hours, bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bulk Barn. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement