Bulk Barn
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Canada665 reviews

bulkbinbulkbarncodecleaningcashstorestock

Comfortable and casual setting to work in

My position at Bulk Barn is a Key Holder. Closing is a hassle as their are many steps (unnecessary steps) that come with it. There are many things at this location that need to be upgraded. Also more key holders need to be hired. All staff are amazing and make every shift enjoyable.

Pros

staff are fun

Cons

not enough staff

Treat you poorly, very unprofessional

Very unprofessional would not want anyone to have to go through what I went through as I worked there for 4 years and was never valued or treated with respect I only stayed for that long out of convenience of not looking for a new job

Insights into Bulk Barn

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Great boss and fun people

A fun place to work, great boss, fun people, customers were nice, it gave me the flexibility in my schedule to take care of my partner, was a nice, clean place.

Pros

nice people

Cons

no cons

Polite Management and fast pace

Management is very nice, and tries to create a positive environment for everyone. The job is for someone who likes going from 0 to 100 as it will be very quiet one moment and 5 seconds later there will be 20 people waiting in checkout, you will do well in this position if you can quickly checkout out customers well also being polite and careful.

Solid place to work

Working here felt safe, the people I worked with were awesome. I would feel welcome and appreciated coming back. It was an easy, pretty fun, job. Just the pay wasn’t great; but that kinda helped make me more important as they needed people to stay so that’s nice I guess. I know I wouldn’t lose the job

Don’t apply

The company has no respect for its workers and your expected to do more than what your pay grade is worth. Some of the employees slack off thus leaving you to do all the hard work.

Pros

Snacks

Cons

Poor management

Great company

While the Company is very good to work for upper management was very poor and did not stand behind their people. They should train staff in managers better

Old franchise company struggling to become a true retailer.

Bulk barn was a decent place to work for, they had competitive pay and a good discount for your purchases. In store staff were great. Unfortunately, it had been a successful franchisee and is trying to become its own retailer. Head office management would constantly implement policies that weren’t only poorly thought out, but were destructive to the business. Coming from a much more successful company when I pointed out to my boss that these decisions were basically the worst decision possible, he agreed and expected me to implemented anyways the foolish policy anyways. Constructive criticism was discouraged and never listened to Repetitive and excessive paperwork will take your entire work week and then you’re required to do your store Management duties after. Only work here if your comfortable having no autonomy, work 50+ hours every week and are willing to be a yes man.

Pros

Decent pay, good staff discount

Cons

Poor decision by Management, no individual authority, excessive paperwork

Fun atmosphere

I always loved the atmosphere and environment of this workplace. Great people, generally great customers and the job is educational to keep you busy! The staff is encouraging and helpful!

Toxic company. Horrible management and pay

Never work at bulk barn. Head office does not care about you. They only care about money so they cut corners at every chance possible and NEVER offer raises, even after years of employment. No benefits, no incentives, no career advancements and no employee recognition. District and regional manager in my area swept issues under the rug anytime an employee would speak up about problems. They expect way too much for how much they pay you.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Head office, management, job itself

Toxic work environment

Management is abysmal. They give you a thousand check lists and make it impossible to complete all the work, then write you up the second you inevitably miss one. They themselves usually do very little to no work if that. People come into work sick, even the Managers. They make rules and actively disobey them (above the law). Rules Like "Don't eat or take your breaks in the office". The culture is up to the staff thankfully, but management is constantly trying to strip the environment of its vibrancy. Hardest part is how physically demanding it is, and how hard they try to work you. Giving you time estimations on tasks they themselves have never personally done. It's also very frustrating to be given a task and then spoken at for 30 minutes while your trying to get the job done in a timely manner. Best part has to be the lovely people they hire.

Fun

It was alright working at bulk barn it’s definitely a job made to be a first job because you learn how to talk to all sorts of different types in of people good and bad and how to deal with really rude old people

easy and great coworkers

nice coworkerdepending on location can either be really busy or very slowjob can get dirtysome heavy lifting requiredgreat beginning retail job to work

A good first job

I worked at bulk barn as my first job. Started as a cashier working up to becoming the front end supervisor within a year of working there. On a typical day as a supervisor I would help customers and respond to complaints, opening/closing till counting, end of day financial reports and filing in KPI analysis spreadsheets. I would also have to help out the stock crew and cashiers when needed.

Pros

Good co-workers

Good first job, helped me start working

As it was my first job, I learned a lot about customer service, cleaning and stocking. The longer I worked, the more I got the hang of it. Customer-wise, it would always be either pretty empty and easy going or super busy and demanding. Other than that, it was a decent first job.

Pros

Small discounts

Cons

Demanding at times

Fun and simple

Tasks assigned were simple, a lot of lifting, casual working. Management was good, hours were okay. Standard for minimum wage, co workers are nice. Relaxed environment

Eh

A couple people I worked with were the reason why I liked going to work but it wasn't the best place to work. The manager wasn't the best and it was very repetitive.

Management ruins the job

I worked at bulk barn for over a year and we went through at least five managers, none of them did anything, and it was up to supervisors and third keys to do the work. these employees were not appreciated, and upper management who were never here constantly reprimanded us

Pros

none honestly

Cons

horrible management

Environnement de travail relaxe mais impression d'être sans bût

Équipe chaleureuse et accueillante, par contre on a souvent l'impression qu'on fait des tâches sans bût et on a peu d'opportunité dans l'entreprise.Pour tout dire, c'est un bon emplois pour débuter, mais pas pour rester.

Work morale is important

Management can really make or break how you perceive working at bulk barn. I’ve experienced both. It’s hard work but if you work with good people it’s easy going. Customers are the worst I’ve experienced for some odd reason.

Stressful, Intensive and no proper area for breaks.

Employees were very immature and gossiped a lot, manager did not do their job and instead dumped everything on the brand new supervisor who was untrained. Pay for supervisors did not reflect the amount of work expected. Did not understand how to work in a team. Be aware that you will need to sanitize and change all of the product scoops and tongs DAILY, often times by yourself which could take your whole 8hr shift or carry over depending on the size of your store.

Pros

Fast Promotion, Occasional Free Product

Cons

Employees are immature, No staff room, little vacation allowance, pay does not reflect the work load above cashier

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bulk Barn. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement