Bulk Barn

Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

It was fine I guess

For a part time, minimum wage job, it was alright, definitely could have been worse. The people you work with are usually good people, none of you want to be there so you bond over that. The owners of the location I worked at (McGillivray, WPG, MB), were kind of weird, thought really highly of themselves but it wasn't worse than any other part time retail position. You get a lot of disgruntled customers complaining about not being able to use 50 coupons at a time, coming in and using the messiest bins 2 minutes to close, and just scooping food out of bins with their hands (I do not shop here anymore after seeing how disgusting the customers are with the food). If you need a job that you can just come in for your shift, do the work, and leave this is a good place, especially for students except it IS hard to get time off. You just kind of have to hope someone can take your shift or you're out of luck, no matter how much notice you give.

Pros

easy work, sneak candy, cool coworkers

Cons

no time off, rude customers, condescending management

Coworkers are the best

Store manager and co workers are the best part of this job. Typical retail environment. Head office doesn't care at all about the employees. They won't even take your calls or answer you most of the time. If they do, they will blame someone else for the problem. LOTS of lists to follow that are unreasonable, obviously the person at head office coming up with the lists has never worked a day in one of the retail stores. Nothing here is hard to do, if you have half a brain you can do it. There is no advancement, no benefits, no bonus and don't expect raises because there are no perks to working here. The coupons they offer customers are often the same deal that employees get. Just don't take too many coupons, as a cashier, because head office will not like it and you will get told. If you want a safe environment to work, with basic cleaning responsibilities, and can put up with a retail environment where your coworkers are truly amazing then this is the place for you.

Garbage management

Greedy management that will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat if you don’t play the political bs. And that’s being a GREAT worker showing up working hard everyday but don’t you dare tell the truth there! Rules for thee but not for me as long as you’re a certain person in the company. Know they don’t care about your health in the least as you will be forced to wear a mask while working physically when you are the most spaced out, but in the lunchroom can go touch each other be all buddy buddy that’s cool but don’t you dare take off your mask on the floor. But oh wait unless you’re someone special! Seems like a great company until you realize how disposable you are to management.

awful place to work:)

i really hated working here. the store was very unsanitary, the customers were often rude, i was paid minimum wage to do work that i wasnt paid enough for. i have not one single good thing to say about this company.

Pros

free samples

Cons

unsanitary, overworked and underpaid, awful hours, terrible management

Bad environment, very stressful with low payment

As a store manager you have to do everything in the store from making manual orders, waste, expiry, receiving the trucks, putting the freight out, dealing with the customers, running till, covering breaks, hiring, firing, dealing with infestation company, merchandising, cleaning, training, putting the schedule, coaching and maintain the store standards. You should come during your days off if your team has any problems or someone called in sick to cover. You have to spend more than 40 hours every week to just maintain your store open. Because of the very bad wages for the key holders and supervisor you will not be able to attract good candidates to help you and will continually struggle alone. Very high turn over, and no annual increase. Your regional manager will ask you to make sure your team should be diversified!!!! your store should be spotless and you should check your email 3 times a day.

Pros

Employee discount 25%

Overworked and stressful

When I started it was franchised owned and the manager was awesome. Lately the store is now run by corporate. Plus no benefits! They work you to the bone! Head office cares more about the earnings than the lives of their workers! The only good thing is the people I work with at the store.

Pros

Flexibility, good for a first job

Cons

not paid enough for what you have to do, overworked, no benefits

Good people to work with

Poor management, never there, dose not resolve issues. Favoritism, no respect . Poor pay, no rewards for good work. No pay raises, no benefits. Head office interferes too much

Decent Retail Experience starting point

Just going to explain the pros and cons first... In my experience having a flexible schedule is great for working favorable shifts or when plans change. You can easily book it off in advance, talk to the manager or switch shifts with someone with the help of a Supervisor. The downside to this is that someone has their shifts changed and it isn't always communicated to them. So if something comes up and your shift is changed (to an earlier start time or different day in the week) and you are not at work during the change, very little is done to communicate that to you. However, when the time comes to work that shift and you aren't there, you will now be called and told that you are late by the same person who knew about the change. Ex: I was scheduled to work Monday 1:30PM - 9:30PM which is my typical closing shift and I work it all the time. Someone had quit on Sunday while I wasn't working so I didn't know about it. That person was supposed to start at 11AM on Monday and work until 7PM. So they gave me that shift, changed the new week schedule on Sunday and then called me at 12:30PM on Monday to tell me I was late for work. Most Bulk Barns are different depending on the people you work with or have shop there. It can be very repetitive but also rewarding when helping customers find what they need. I think its a great place to start in customer service because if you can handle working there it will be easier everywhere else. State your availability from the beginning. Lots of people say that want Full time but can only do that for a month before school and never mention -

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Poor Communication

No benefits, big workloads, and overall stress

Bulk Barn does not have you as a person in their mind. To corporate you are just a number. Multiple occasions where phone calls happened from head office to complete a task without the store manager knowing anything, even though it was submitted by head office a day or two earlier than the deadline in. There are no benefits that you get, unless you work higher up at their head office. High demands, ridiculous amounts of repetitive cleaning, not listening to anything from the employees (example: cashier masks up at the tills to reduce pain and swelling of our feet for standing on concrete floors all day). Overall do not recommend.

Pros

Decent staff at certain locations

Cons

Repetitive cleaning, long hours, no benefits, stress

Fun place to work

I loved working at bulk barn they always accommodated me for days i needed off and were very fair with their work load was an amazing first job. I learned a lot about work life there and the management was awesome.

Pros

good hours

stressful and underpaid

Head Office is micromanagement central. Wants to control every little thing you do, so you end up being a babysitter over a manager. Pays next to nothing but expects you to be grateful for the penny's they pay while also overworking staff. Doesn't pay to stay at this company long as they don't seem to care about loyalty. If you're a keyholder or anyone on the management team don't expect to have a life because they expect you to revolve everything around them. Rules and policies only seem to apply to some people and they have different standards for everyone even if you have the same job title. Don't expect to get a raise unless minimum wage goes up because that's the only time it'll ever happen, unless you get "promoted" which means 30 to 40 more cents an hour to deal with even more stress on a daily basis. They change how they want the stores run all the time, and these stores have a high turnover rate so don't get comfortable. If you're a cashier or stock clerk don't expect to be able to save money because you'll be lucky to get 10 to 15 hours a week.

Pros

Snacks?

Cons

Poor upper managerment, underpaid, little support

Fine for starting out

Pretty much what the title says. Regular min wage job that is good for teens, people starting out, and people who need extra work. It was a good first job.

Fun, but only short term

I managed a store for a few years. Head office has to many hands in the pot. Too much mixed communication and expectations are all over the place. Some weeks you run an amazing store, some weeks you are garbage. They expect you to use your personal vehicle to take store cash to the bank everyday without paying mileage. No benefits, no annual increases, no way to advance.It was fun while I was there, but there is a lot more negative than positive about the work environment. Work life balance was the only decent thing- every other weekend off.

Pros

Every other weekend off

Cons

Micromanaging head office

Ok first job

Good place for snacking on the job. Although my franchise owner was cheap and always tries to underpay me. Decent first job but it’s a dead end job…..

Pros

snacking

Cons

minimal hours and pay

Sometimes slow, good people to work with

Honestly working at bulk barn has been good the manager there is really easy going. She’s understanding of your life and is very adaptable but she of course has expectations. The work there is good when it’s moderately busy, when it’s slow it’s quite boring. Overall a good starter job.

Pros

Kind staff

Cons

Not many hours

Very Fun Laidback Job!

Very fun atmosphere to work in, I learned lots being there for 2 years, made lots of squinted friends through customers and employees.Management was awesome when the store first opened, I learned so much from her on how to handle negative customers with a bad attitude.The different cultures I worked with were awesome, we were all like family in there it was great we were a team.The hardest part was quitting but the enjoyable part was when we all got along.

Pros

Testing the new products!

Cons

Cleaning under the barrels!

Great people to work with.

Worked at two different locations. Management was great and understanding, head office would send auto ships that didn't always make scene for each location.

Poor Value of Employees

The day is usually quite slow however it does pickup during holidays. Learned quite a bit about food sensitivities and different recipes. The hardest part and worst part about being employed at a bulk barn IS the management, they do not care about you! You are disposable to them and that is all. You must provide a fully open availability, answer to every beck and call, then you get less than livable hours. Don't expect more than 2-3 shifts a week with at most 5 hours, unless you're a supervisor or key holder. If you are a student i very much recommend looking elsewhere they are incredibly inflexible. Some locations here in Calgary are notorious for not being able to keep employees and having a high turnover rate. Corporate only care about sales and will save money at any corner they can. Customers are usually what keeps the day going for me, most are very nice and the regulars always bring a smile to my face.

Pros

discounts on product

Cons

barely any shifts, few hours, no flexibility

A neat and a hard working environment.

The typical day at work would be to check the store and see what would need to be re-stocked. What I learned at work was how to time mange and be a team player. The hardest part of the job would have to be the night time shift.

good job if you are just starting

good starting out job, learned many things but communication was not what it should have been. hardest part about the job was management holding their position over your head.

Pros

good hours

Cons

employees no show

Fun and wholesome

The managers honestly care about their staff. There’s a friendly air between all staff members. The managers don’t favour anyone. However, when Covid caused our hours to be cut, the manager made an extra effort to ensure that the employees who need to pay rent would get as many hours as they can afford them. Given that most of the employees are part time, there were no added benefits.

Pros

Friendly, kind, and moderately passed work environment

Cons

Few hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bulk Barn. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement