Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Boss (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE11 February 2019
It is a great place to work if you are looking for a first job or you are looking for something easy. It's can be busy at times and slow at times. It is a safe and friendly environment.
Over worked and under appreciated
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC26 January 2019
This is a terrible place to work. They expect you to go on your hands and knees with a knife and clean the tile grout. I watched them completely bully a loyal employee who was only following direction. You are expected to life 100lbs for minimum wage. The District Manager is inapproachable she has rolled her eyes at me. There was hardly ever a manager so staff would constantly have to do jobs they weren't being paid for then head office would complain. The only benefit was that the fellow staff were pleasant and easy to get along. Also worth mentioning this is my 2nd review staying the truth of New West Bulk Barn as my first one was deleted.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
Overworked underpaid
Calm yet fun place to work
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 January 2019
Very easy to learn and pleasant to work at.
The only hard part is the constant rotation of employees and it is quite difficult to get any days off. Otherwise, it is a great place to start your first job.
My experience was not a good example
Stocker (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 January 2019
I only worked at bulk barn for a short time, and was not treated as one would expect. I was hired to be trained for a supervisor/manager position but instead became a stock boy with little chance for advancement. The manager then hired a new employee and told her the same thing, that they would be trained for the manager position. I was let go when I expressed my feelings on the way I was treated and how I felt like I was hired under false pretenses.
Too much work for too little pay
Corporate Store Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 January 2019
I started out as a cashier, got bored because sitting at till all day was too easy for me. 5 months later I worked really hard for my promotion to Key Holder. I count tills, returns, customer service, answer phones, stock, make signs, order products, expiries, waste logs, temp/sweep logs, planograms, and manage my associates and make sure they're doing something productive. Unfortuneatly my other key holders make more than me for some reason and I have lots of retail experience. No equal pay for the same position, I don't understand that. I'm only less than a couple weeks in and I'm expected to close the store by myself. I feel like the store manager is a glorified stocker and doesn't do anything else but stock. Keyholder is really easy, but I need to get comfortable with what I'm doing to run a store. The great thing about working here is that I'm guaranteed hours because we always never have staff and no one gets fired because of that.
Pros
Employee discount 20% total purchase
Cons
Poor management, too much work for too little pay
Terrible and hostile
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS17 January 2019
the bulkbarn was one of my worst jobs I've had in life. The manager was very rude and inconsiderate. When I first started it was franchised and half way through they went corporate. They changed almost the whole staff by pushing them out the door. They would expect you to get on you hands and knees cleaning the floors and get up and serve customers.
Environnement avec beaucoup de stress
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 January 2019
il faut connaitre les codes de produits par cœur et parfois les clients ne savent même pas ce qu'ils prennent. LE tout devient stressant à gérer
Superviseur = Remplir des bacs
Superviseur temps partiel (Former Employee) –  Québec Province14 January 2019
Il y a très peu de travail administratif comme superviseur, nous remplissons des bacs toute la journée. J’ai eu mal à l'avant-bras très rapidement et ça m'a pris un mois après mon départ pour que la douleur cesse complètement. De plus, comme le magasin est ouvert tard tous les jours, pas le choix de faire plusieurs soirs par semaine. Les salaires sont dérisoires, mais la culture d'entreprise est appréciable et malgré un roulement important du personnel, l'équipe est généralement plaisante.
Pros
Équipe
Cons
horaires et salaires
Relaxed work environment with poor unorganized management
Bulk Barn Cashier/Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC9 January 2019
Hours are not consistent, raises in salary are very little or non existent, no benefits at all, if someone isn’t performing the way they should be while working, there’s little to no communication at all between managers and workers.
Pros
The job is easy
Cons
No benefits, low pay, poor management
Worst retail experience
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2019
There is little room for advancement. You rarely see your support staff. The amount of work expected of staff is extremely high given the lack.of labour hours provided. There is no security for hours unless you are a salaried manager. They do no provide medical/dental benefits. They micromanage everything but from a distance. Head office doesn't appear to have a clue what it's like to be on the ground level anymore. They have no incentive for staff to go above and beyond, making it impossible to grow a successful team of people who care about your business.
Pros
25% discount on regular priced merchandise
Cons
No medical benefits, no support, no room for growth unless you want to move
Just don't do it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia28 December 2018
I highly recommend never working here if you are a person who has any form of self respect or opinions. If you are a 'yes ma'am' 'yes sir' kind of person who doesn't care about being bossed around all day then this job is great for you. However if you are a person who speaks up when things are not right, or questions things then don't bother you'll get pushed down or fired. Things may seem fun at first but I can promise you that after your first few months you'll hate it. You'll be taken advantage of, over-worked and underpaid.
Pros
flexible
Cons
Awful management
Pertinent
Caissière/commis stock (Former Employee) –  Charlesbourg, QC26 December 2018
Travail facile, cependant les possiblités d'avancement ne sont pas possibles.
Pros
25% de rabais
Cons
Ambiance difficiie
It's a job, unless your a franchisee, for students and/or retired persons
ASST. MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2018
The job is simple, restock shelves and barrels with up to date seasonal products, keep customers happy, and employees happy. Organize the store and keep in clean and presentable.
Pros
Owners are very receptive to suggestions.
Cons
There is at times no correction or discipline of subordinates.
Enjoyable enough
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON5 December 2018
I worked there long enough to make some good friends along the way, however it does come with it's downsides. I did enjoy the opportunity I had to work there, but hours were too easily cut and really brought it down.
Wonderful place to work
CASHIER / KEYHOLDER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2018
While the jobs here can be physically demanding the bosses are excellent. Customer service is a must for all employees. Easy work atmosphere where smiles and laughter are encouraged.
BB Team
Supervisory role (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2018
The people that I worked with were the best bunch of youngsters I had the privledge to work with :) My customers were not always the best but for the most part. They were a great bunch of people to see everyday :)
Pros
Great pace
Cons
Monies was an issue.
Bulk Barn Review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 November 2018
Working at Bulk Barn involved a lot of cashier work, memorization of food codes to speed up the process of cashing customers out, and cleaning the store frequently.
Fun and interesting place to work but management can be frustrating at times.
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 November 2018
Most days at Bulk Barn are enjoyable. The job is entertaining and most coworkers are easy to get along with. However, the management and corporate level of this company are not on the same page. Corporate is often making decisions that would be better off if left to the store managers who understand the situations better. Putting that aside, the salary is definitely lower than it should be. I understand retail positions are not exactly "high skilled" but I believe that the work merits an extra dollar per hour on top of minimum wage at least. Working at Bulk Barn is not a robotic process like scanning bar codes at a grocery store. There are important things we do as employees that are surely above our pay grade, but corporate is only concerned with profit margins and not employee relations. Overall this is a place for a part time job during the school year and maybe full time in the summer, not a career.
Pros
Interesting, Cool Candy/Foods, Discount
Cons
Many responsibilities, Min Wage, Management Decision Making
Good first job or Part time
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2018
When I first started at this location the manager was amazing and super helpful. He got promoted and a different manager was appointed. She has a way of telling people what to do in a mean way.
Pros
Old manager
Cons
New manager
Good first time job experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 October 2018
Good job to learn customer service and cash handling skills. However having to do extensive cleaning and also watch cash at the same time was unrealistic.