Building Brains logo
Building Brains

Building Brains Employee Reviews

Poor work environment

The description on the website of Building brains does not match the reality of this place. The management is poor, they never know what’s going on bc of of the poor head management in calgary. The center is regularly out of supplies, but the employees get the blame bc of using too many diapers, wet wipes etc. The management puts up to 25 children in the rooms, not necessary to mention that it’s nearly impossible to connect with children individually. The center promises Montessori, Reggio and Movement.. during my time there was no Montessori teacher in that building, also no Montessori toys, just empty shelves. Movement at that place means dancing all day and I barley saw Reggio happening.. more like free play. I have never worked at a place where employees are so unsatisfied and frustrated like there, which leads to a high quitting rate. I agree with previous reviews of its a rip-off for parents and employees. They have a lot to improve to the standards they are advertising.

Pros

Nice coworkers

Cons

Poor work environment, long hours

Amazing - don’t miss out!

Building Brains is bringing Early Childhood Education from out of the Dark Ages into the future. I’m absolutely loving my employment at BUILDING BRAINS and what we are offering the children and their families! The work environment is supportive, understanding and willing to help employees be their best for the benefit of all.

Pros

Friday Free Staff Lunch, Planning time, Fun, collaborative relationships, open communication

Poorly managed, under staffed, rip off for parents

The building is beautiful, the workers are nice. However it is marketed as an elite daycare and parents are certainly not getting anything special. They have wonderful Montessori material, however they are not doing any traditional Montessori teaching or practical life skills. It is basically an average daycare (that is very expensive) that has nice toys. There was often too many children per adult and the turn around of staff is very high. Parents never know who their child teacher is and it's because people are constantly quitting and looking for other jobs. Its a nice place, it is not well ran and the pay is not that great. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Pros

Wonderful cook providing healthy meals, infant room has engaging activities.

Cons

poor management, average pay, tiny staff room, short on supplies, not authentic Montessori, lacking engaging activities, waste of money

Over-rated, poor management

I got to experience the "behind the scenes" with building brains. The head office in Calgary is a gong show and this reflects on all their centres, including building brains. They are very disorganized, do not lead by example, owners are 100% in it for the money, and do not treat staff well (unless you are the lucky few who may get favored). After reading some other reviews, I can confirm that they use termination very often, and if you are still on your probation period, no reason needs to be given. One might be fooled by their attractive atmosphere and unique rooms (as i was), but after I seen what really goes on, I would never recommend it to others. Save your money, support a service who is genuine and go elsewhere with better quality of care. Pay for employees varies for everyone and they try and get away with paying as less as possible - a shame when their expectations of staff are very high and parents pay an elite fee.

Pros

New facility

Cons

Very poor management, lower wages, less respect for staff, high centre fees, high turn over

Lifelong Learner

It’s hard to put into words how amazing Building Brains really is. I’ve been on staff since mid November and absolutely love coming to work everyday, as it does not feel like work. The atmosphere is so fun! We have a phenomenal staff who work together well as a team. And overall, it’s an awesome place to be employed. As the Lead Movement teacher, I am fortunate enough to share my passion of health/wellness and physical education with the students on a daily basis. We have so many learning opportunities to share with these young minds and help them develop the skill sets to be successful lifelong learners. I am so happy I opened up to another opportunity as an educator.

No Job Security

For the first two month we didn't have many children so we completed tasks more akin to household chores. The programs that Building Brains wants to offer, such and the Reggio and Montessori concepts, are loosely represented but the lack of staff, resources and guidance from management makes this a far-fetched dream for the near future. The Pre-School management is laughably both overbearing and completely inadequate. If the supervisor doesn't agree with your methods then it's within her power to terminate you with little to no cause at the end of your probationary period. I worked for Building Brains from August to November. At the end of my probationary period my supervisor pulled me into a meeting at the end of my shift and told me I had be terminated for a "handful" or reasons. When prompted to explain she said: "Cellphone use, lateness and language with the children". I asked for examples and she gave none. I had been asked to refrain from cellphone use a total of 4 times over my time with Building Brains and two of those times were because I needed to use my phone's clock because they hadn't installed clicks into the facility yet but expected us to follow a schedule. The other times were to research activities and one time where I was using a snapchat filter to make funny faces with the kids for a drawing activity. Each time my supervisor dismissed my explanation. The lateness was 4-5 instances where I was 2-5 minutes late with two of those instances communicated beforehand. The last "reason" was later explained as "abruptness" with children. This was humorous because -

Excellent working place if you are hungry for using your expertise

Building Brains is a wonderful place to work if you are looking for a working environment which could inspire you to deliver your skills, ability and your best experience. What I most love in Building Brains is supporting employees to achieve their goal and providing professional development opportunities. If you are hungry for using your expertise, building self-development and get career advancement, Building Brains is right fit for you.

Pros

competitive wage, positive team atmosphere, a high quality learning classroom

Cons

would need to drive to get a cup of coffee :)

Building Brains is a great place to work!!!

Building Brains is a great place to work! The staff are all really friendly and supportive. As the campus is new everyone is growing and learning together with lots of opportunities to develop our skills and we are empowered within or classroom to transform the space and guide the children's learning.