Build-A-Bear Workshop

Build-A-Bear Workshop Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
Productive and fun workplace
I really enjoyed working here! The team was excellent! We always supported one another, everyone is very kind/generous, and we all loved to help! Depending on the time of year, it can be slow, intermediate, or really busy. Management was excellent. My favourite part of the job was seeing a child smile after making the bear of their dreams! It is very rewarding to see and always made me want to go into work with a smile on my face! The store was always kept clean. It is easy to do well in this environment. I learned a lot about reading people and speaking/engaging with them to provide the best experience possible. It is a lot of fun working at Build-A-Bear!
Pros
Employee of the Month receives a gift, family and friends discount on merchandise
poor management terrible experience
The manager at the time was a bully and a tyrant. I cried almost every single day. This is not standard for the company, this one person was just genuinely terrible and I really hope they're not there anymore.
Pros
get your birthday off with pay
Cons
getting breaks is difficult
worst place EVER
this company is the worst place to work. they offer terrible pay, virtually no discounts, management in store and higher-up is a mess. I've been there for over a year and have not received my yearly review, I've been going on two months without my pay increase, when I should have gotten it. You work your butt off for nothing in return, if a customer wants to tip you for doing a party/or giving amazing service for a party, you will loose your job if you accept it, this company is awful, DONT WORK FOR BUILD-A-BEAR
Pros
Cons
Evrtything
Amazing place to work at
This place is honestly so good. the management and the people who work there are also very good. I loved working here because they understood you and helped you out throughout anything. honestly would say this was the best place I ever worked at.
One of the worst places I've worked at
After working alongside this company for 4 years I can honestly say it is the most toxic work environment I have ever been associated with. Due to poor communication on behalf of head office representatives and district managers I have seen some incredible men and women leave the company due to not having adequate resources to complete tasks, minimal work/life balance and unrealistic expectations for minimal pay.
Pros
Meeting some amazing people and getting to work with kids
Cons
No work life balance, toxic work environments, low pay
Best Place to Visit
Build-A-Bear workshop is the most fun place to visit. All the different bear options are really cool to see, and the staff will make your visit super enjoyable!
Messy, unhelpful, a lot of gossip
The back was a mess, looking for "skins"took time without help, coworkers were distant and gossip a lot, a month later my manager told me my coworkers said all I did was be on my cellphone in the back, so I ended up getting fired and he made me sign a resignation letter then gave me a gift card which later I learned it had a $2.00 value.
The best
It has been my dream job since a small child. I have always collected plush toys and worked with kids all my life. It is so so nice to have a lovely mix of the two.

My manager is AMAZING and though we are a small location in a mall, there is always something to do. She keeps us in line, and is motivational when we do need to improve!

My co-workers are so lovely, it truly is enjoyable going to work.

My only critique is I would love more hours (but I never took the job expecting 40 hours a week it would just be nice ya know!) and that is it! I work another job and honestly look forward to my shifts at BaB!
Pros
Atmosphere, Co-Workers, Adorable Products
Cons
That my location is a kiosk
Fun workplace
This was a interesting place to work.nothing was too serious and you could have a lot of fun working with kids as your main customers.I worked the stuffing machine and the heart ceremony
The guests happiness is what matter to me
The energy of the workplace is fine and everyone works well together. When a guest or even myself is having a bad day the most enjoyable part of the job is making the guests smile.
Dream Job
Working at build-a-bear is by far a dream job. What's not to love about stuffed animals, connecting with customers until they feel like friends, and bringing smiles to all? I had a wonderful job with wonderful opportunities. Their pay was great and rewarded raises with awesome performances. If it weren't for school I would have worked there for much longer.
Metal pole
The customers are fantastic people generally go in wanting to have a great experience. The issue with Build-A-Bear though is the district manager/ head office has unrealistic high standards that nobody follows unless someone from head office is there. As soon as someone isn't really watching them all the standards go out the window. So I would say the hardest part about this job is dealing with head office. But overall your day today is going in greeting guests getting to know them up selling them as much as you can and then on to the next. The people that work in the stores, the bear Builders the management are fantastic they're like a family and as soon as you have a preposition you are welcome with open arms.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Unrealistic goals and expectations
Not supportive
Did not provide me with the work place support needed and i felt as though i was never trained properly. very messy organization and the people who worked there did not like their jobs and it showed
Happiest place on Earth!
Wonderful place to work! Interacting with the kids that come in is always a joy, and the best part of the job is getting to see how happy you make them while they're building their bear! Company is excellent when it comes to motivating employees, and the environment is very welcoming!
Pawsome
It's a great place to work especially if you like kids. The staff was very understanding and accepting. The guests were for the most part very kind. You did have to be a quick learner and adaptable.
Fun
Seeing that child's face when they find their new friend, pick a name for them and an outfit brings much joy to anyone who works here. Seeing their imagination come to life and seeing all the fun they are having.
It was okay
Easy work, fulfilling but lack of challenge, coworkers aren't really kept up to standards so you may have to deal with less than competent people.
Cons
Hard to go up the latter
Get to work with a great enthusiastic, fun staff!
Work with an excellent group of people who are excited, motivated, and fun. There are lots of room for advancement. Started as a bear builder (sales associate) and was selected to go through 'tool-kit' which advanced to to associate management. Hardest part of the job is having to always be in a cheery bubbly mood. You need to pace yourself as you can burn out because you're 'on' all the time. Parties are fun but can be a bit challenging (depends on group of kids).Overall, amazing job, especially for someone just starting.
fun workplace
A typical day at work would've been coming into work and going onto the floor, making yourself approachable to customers who might walk in. Most of the time, you're assisting customers with personalizing the bear they picked out, stuffing it up for them, helping pick out clothes, etc. At that job I learned that making sales is easy when you have an approachable attitude towards the job and the customers. I had a wonderful head manager there who really cared about her workers. My co-workers were mostly friendly and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the chaos (especially on weekends). The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely meeting all the little kids and helping make their day.
Pros
Kids
BEARific
Even if you are in a bad mood before work, you know your day will turn around as you walk in the door. Knowing that I have the ability to put a smile on someones face helps put a smile on my face. The staff are awesome and tend to always work together, which in important.
Fun and Exciting
Always Fun, Management was always interactive and welcoming of comments on how to improve, Co-workers were amazing and I made some life-long friends