Bruce Power

Working at Bruce Power: Employee Reviews

Canada97 reviews

Great place for a career

Bruce power is a very focused and progressive organization that presents many opportunities for growth and advancement. Pay and benefits are excellent as the commitment to their employees is unparalleled

Ok

Stressful environment with lots of project. Contractor treated as second class citizens. No efficient processes and lots of manual work.Good company if you want to experience how to cope with pressure.

Insights into Bruce Power

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Fair pay for job

Apply and develop skills with a new perspective.

Contractors are treated as second class citizens while being expected to act like full time employees. There are lots of mixed signals.It is however a great place for obtaining a new perspective- especially on IT projects. Cost isn’t the main driver as it is at many profit based organizations. Safety and meeting regulatory needs are more important.

Pros

The money is good - rate as well as per diem (must be on site to get per diem)

Cons

Corporate culture is skewed, Unwritten class structure contract vs permanent (union) employee who vs management.

A good, productive place to work. Fast-paced context, so better jump in with your experience on both legs from day one and hit the ground running. Ask questions; trust but verify is key. Ask dumb questions is good. If your supervisor or colleagues harass you, don't hesitate to contact HR directly to air your complaints. They will listen and act. The company is great on diversity, inclusion and human rights advancement. Be ready to be coached and coach likewise. Above all, get your work done safely.

Pros

Opportunities to learn

Cons

I was employed for 20 years and was never able to advance to find a more challenging position. The HR dept is filled with incompetents.

I never advanced beyond the position I was hired into two decades ago. The company frowns on any kind of career development unless one is in management and favoured by the executives.There is no career development or training for non-management personnel. There is no encouragement for growth and reaching your potential.I became stagnant just a few short years into my position and wanted to try other positions but HR blocked me at every turn.

Pros

Excellent benefits and pension, but that is as a result of excellent collective bargaining by the unions, Some work groups are really dynamic

Cons

Terrible management. A lot of them are from the auto industry and have no clue about nuclear, Most workgroups are poorly managed, No guarantee you’ll be hired for the position you want

Great Company to work for

I met some of the nicest people working at Bruce Power. Team members are knowledgeable and always ready to share knowledge with their peers. The company is working towards agility and provides a bright future.

Pros

Work-Life Balance

Cons

Lack of Processes

Lots of training and growth within company

Working a Bruce Power allows to explore all types of different jobs and positions. The company will train you for all positions and more for individuals willing and wanted to grow

Professional

Expect to work, act, and conduct all activities in the BRUCEPOWER arena with integrity, professionalism, and to the best of your ability. Be helpful, be safe, and never proceed unless you are 100 % sure of a positive outcome. This is an incredible place to work and build a positive and rewarding career.

Pros

Opportunity

Cons

Winter weather commute to job site

Project Manager

Bruce is very difficult place to work. PMs have little authority or respect but are blamed for everything and made escape goats for everyone's mistakes. It's a very stressful work environment due to lack of work ethics towards contracted staff. No work life balance, too much work and long hours without overtime. Senior management is insensitive and without any moral compas. They misuse the govt funds without any shame. Contracts for goods and services are issued to select few firms at 4, 5 times the industry norms in the name of Nuclear. Those not willing to keep their eyes and months shut are quickly shown the door. They have highest resource turnaround in any industry. There not a single week without someone leaving and someone new joining.I wouldn't recommend this place of work to my worst enemy.

Pros

Pay rate better than others in Ontario

Cons

Too many

Long hours and productive, but you’re subject to random management decisions based on who is their favourite

Generally a good place to grow as a junior engineer or apprentice. You are treated well and have job protection if you are a full time employee for the company. Not so for contracted staff, who work excessive hours But can be mistreated Or abruptly terminated for making mistakes under sever pressure.The work environment is less formal than places of similar businesses I worked for. However management is only worried about their own image and have no hesitation to fire people who won’t cover for their over-commitment. The company does good deeds for the community and does create jobs for the economy.

Pros

Relaxed environment for full timer, lots of jobs

Cons

No job security for contractors, remote, management

Awesome

Amazing place to work, Anyone that loves working as a team and loves to know that safety is put before anything else, This is the ultimate place to work. Culture is awesome, a great diversity of people brings broad opportunity and positivity to the workplace We are all nuclear professionals on and off the job.

Pros

Amazing Company

Cons

cant think of any

Make a real difference for climate change but only If you have excellent standards

Nuclear is the solution to global warming and Nuclear demands the best quality people. There is no room for error and very high standards for technical and craftsmanship. There is plenty of opportunity to perform in operations, maintenance or support organizations.

Two words: Family Team

It's like a small city, a community and we all have the same goal: Safety. Apart from the production and maintenance (ie. work), it is about the camaraderie.

Pros

rewarding in every way

Cons

can be slow going

safety first

safety first is well pronounced in everything you do, so as a worker, you have to emulate this in every task and responsibility you carry out. Effective 3 way communication is well carried out too.

Productive place to work

It is very worth experience to work in Bruce power. There were a lot of training and a good place to gain new experiences. People there were very professional ant try to help each other to make the environment very professional and productive.

Great Work Environment

Bruce was a very accepting work environment for a student coming into the field in a co-op capacity. I greatly enjoyed my time there, and would highly recommend considering Bruce Power as an Employer.

Would recommend working for Bruce Power to anyone in the skilled trades.

Duties of the job explained well and excellent safety procedures on every job situation. Preparation for each days duties and required safety procedures were gone over every morning before the days duties were preformed . All aspects of the days duties were gone over in great detail.

Learning and performing environment

Bruce Power is a great place to work. Colleagues and Management are very supportive with a collaborative environment. Great work experience and learning environment.

Good company with higher pay

I've been worked in BP for 18 months as a temp. Their pay is higher than market average, but union rules are not allow for extention form temp and contract.

Awesome Learning Experience

The staff during my co-op was always willing to teach me plant processes and ensured that I always understood and could repeat the processes on different occasions.

Actively worked to better my knowledge of the trade

Whenever there was something interesting my coworkers would actively try and have me engaged. My supervisors would put me on jobs and actively communicate with me. the management was kind and friendly which made me feel welcome.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bruce Power. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement