Browns Socialhouse Employee Reviews

Hired as a "server"
Server (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 January 2019
Worked at browns for over a year. I was hired on as a server but had to go through training as a host then expo. I then worked on expo for the next 6 months without seeing a single server shift. After being brought to their attention on multiple occasions I was finally given my server training shifts. After I completed that, I would still only receive two serving shifts a week (if I was lucky).
Favourites are often given better shifts and more hours, they cut your hours so much that many people are forced to quit.
Many managers were well-intentioned but with very little idea of how to keep their staff from seeking other employment.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Little hours for "full time" employees, unorganized management
Fast Paced and Fun!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB18 January 2019
By far the best place I've worked and wish I could go back. Very organized and almost always busy. The team is very hard working an dedicated to making every customers experience the best. Always had a blast at work.
Great company culture
FRONT OF HOUSE OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON8 January 2019
Fun environment to work at with some opportunity for growth. Very brand oriented with plenty of locations opening across Canada. CEO is a peculiar person but fun to work for
Horrible
Server (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 January 2019
Management is awful, picking their favorites all the time and will push you out the door so they do not need to pay you severance. do not recommend if you cannot stand up for yourself
Pros
50 percent off
Cons
horrible management
Good For Growth
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2018
As a manager that was brought on with little experience I found the training process very detailed and not rushed. Its a great culture with fun staff who take pride in their work. It's exciting that there are more stores in development and I am hoping to be a General Manager one day. So far no complaints.
Pros
fun environment with opportunity for growth
Run as fast as you can from these employers
Senior Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
I put everything I had into this this company and in return got spat on in the face. Its a revolving door for both front of house and back of house staff who cant keep GMs of Chefs if there business literally depended on it. The Edmonton owners have a bunch of drunks and addicts running the head management team. I would start there to find out why nobody stays.
Brown's Social "Home"
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC10 November 2018
I was very fortunate to be part of the opening team of Browns Social House, Fort Saint John,BC. When opening day arrived it was exciting to put these new elevated standards of serving to the test. Management took very good care of us, ensuring that these standards were met. You could really feel the excitement throughout all departments of this fresh, trendy restaurant!!! I also would like to think that management took a great deal of time making sure that everyone's personality meshed well for optimal production during the hiring phase. Browns Social House taught me the importance of consistency, and how fun working in a face pace environment can be. Even on bad days. The most enjoyable part of the job for myself would be the strong team effort, from management right down to dish-pit.
Pros
Professional, Personable, Fun.
Cons
Inconsistent Hours at times.
fun workplace
dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 November 2018
Working at Brown's socialhouse was a fun experience. The work environment there is very positive and friendly. The shifts were enjoyable with a workload that wasn't overwhelming. The best part about working there was that the employee's there were like a family.
Pros
family environment
Cons
layoffs
Productive and friendly workplace that makes you feel like you are all family
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2018
Working at browns socialhouse is a great job and very productive and fun to work at . I was taught how to manage daily life with work and browns socialhouse had taught me so much .
Pros
Good hours
Decent Job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 October 2018
It was a summer job and provided valuable experience in the working field. I hope that people can be inspired by a call to work in the restaurant business.

Want to know more about Browns Socialhouse?

Ask a question
great place
Day Lead (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC20 September 2018
this is a fun fun fun place to work lots of cool stuff busy and fun with lots of fun to be had. busy place but fun had a good time at browns really good people
Fun and loving atmosphere
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 September 2018
The restaurant was almost always busy and had several rushes even when other restaurants were slow. However, despite the rush, the management was warm and helpful and created an environment of teamwork. One of the best places I've ever worked.
Don’t bother
Host and Server (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 September 2018
Terribly managed restaurant that clearly doesn’t follow labor standards. Managers coerced young staff into “wanting” to go home if it was quiet. Labor standards says a shift is minimum 3 hours but Brown’s seems to think this law doesn’t apply to them. The turnover at this restaurant says it all.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Doesn’t follow labor standards rules
My Second Home
Social Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC14 August 2018
I worked with Browns Socialhouse for about four years while I was finishing my undergrad. My managers over the years were always accommodating of my fluctuating schedule and more than encouraging of my studies. My coworkers became like my family as we saw each other so often, we were very fortunate to find such close friendships with one another. There were always opportunity for advancement. While I'm sad to leave such an amazing work environment, it was time for me to move on to something new.
waist of time
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2018
A typical day of work was a waist of time they never gave me opportunities to teach me for my apprenticeship. They also never gave me enough shifts so i can get the hours for my apprenticeship.the management was completely out of control and disorganized. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with the shear incompetence of the co-workers there. The enjoyable part of working their would have to be the friendly attitude they have.
Pros
50% meals
Cons
underworked
Great place to work. All staff is very welcoming
Bartender/Server/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 July 2018
I've been with Browns Socialhouse for 5 years almost and love all the staff. Everyone is very welcoming and they're like a extended family. I still talk to everyone from Winnipeg.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Short shifts for servers
Fun
Line Cook and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 July 2018
Fun and rewarding, meet new people. Hours can be long and management in the back of house is very scattered and unorganized. Im glad i worked there though.
Family like workplace
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 July 2018
Everyone treats you like family, no staff meals, and no benefits. High expectations for mediocre food. Could pay their staff more for the amount of work that needs to be done, friendly staff members, and a fun experience for new cooks
Get a better management team
Host/Expo (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 June 2018
It's a fun place to work at and you learn a lot while working there no matter what your position is. Though some people on the management team could learn to be a lot more kind as to how to talk or treat their employees. Most days I end up feeling very upset or end up crying about to how I'm talked to by the management team somedays. They can be cheap with the amount of shifts they give you. If you're not on good terms with the management staff I feel as though one will never be able to get a promotion.
Love it
Server (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC18 June 2018
My job at Browns is a fun fast paced environment. The staff members and management are all really friendly and take pride in their work. My time at browns is always fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Browns Socialhouse. Our community is ready to answer.