Brown and Caldwell Employee Reviews

Great Company
Remediation Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Radnor, PA5 June 2019
I've worked at BC for 2.5 years now and have enjoyed it very much. In my experience managers are very willing to listen to ideas and empower their employees. I was also accommodated when I wanted to move to a different department to relocate to another city.
Excellent Company with a Great Culture
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN17 May 2019
-Workplace culture is excellent
-Not as much job advancement as hoped
-The hardest part of the job is tracking time
-Upper management is great with communication
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA21 February 2019
I really liked BC. Good company culture, management was really connected to people and offices were really connected to each other. There's a lot of experience and expertise at the company, and for people in engineering roles there are a lot of good mentors around.
Dull and unproductive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC15 January 2019
no project work available for at least 18 months, became a glorified stock worker, maintaining basic office machines, supplies and office cleaning. management had to manufacture problems to release my position.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
position's management was passed around yearly, so no-one was truly aware of the positions abilities
HIGH turnover. No integrity. No ethics. No leadership.
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CA6 January 2019
If you want to work at a place with ZERO direction, ZERO management with leadership ability, then this is the place for you. BC follows the old style project management which is to buy projects and take the cheapest way to finish. Brush it under the rug with no engineering. Then throw you under the bus because the PM didn't budget correctly. This place also has the worst standards in the industry.

This place is known for using engineer stamps without their knowledge, not completing projects, and discrimination. High turnover.
Pros
They'll pay you out so you don't sue them.
Cons
Low staff retention. Low salaries.
Fun place to learn
Senior Water Resources Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CA20 December 2018
My daily experience as a modeling engineer is challenging and at the same time rewarding. Great experience with highly qualified engineers. The hardest part of the job is to comply the 40 hours.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
no cons
Capricious, Arbitrary, and Opaque
gofor (Former Employee) –  Colorado6 December 2018
Folks are kept out of the loop on purpose, so it is hard to figure out the what is going on, who is deciding what, expectations, direction, etc. very little feedback.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
smothering bureaucracy
Challenging Work with Life Balance
Sr. Professional, Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hagåtña, GU1 December 2018
Leadership is demanding and fair. Projects are varied from investigations and reports to small design efforts.Some Federal work possible. Future work load has great potential to grow. Co-workers are great to be and work around.
Managing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CA25 November 2018
Office culture was great and smart co-workers. Great technical people and resources. Company also has a great name in the wastewater field. Good information sharing and a great virtual office company.
Pros
Collaborative staff
Cons
Not profitable. Too much dead weight in middle management
Good people
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA20 November 2018
Overall I enjoyed my time working at Brown and Caldwell. For the most part I felt supported as an employee but there might be a disconnect between management's perspective/understanding and some of the day-to-day realities and challenges. Most of my colleagues were easy to work with and seemed to have the client's best interest at heart. My schedule was reasonably flexible so work/life balance was pretty good as long as the work got done somehow.
BEWARE - Water Modeler / Smart Utility Engineer
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA19 November 2018
Trust me. You don't want to work for the people in this group in Atlanta.

The guy you'll work for is a liar and manipulative person. Lot's of staff leaving and I'm hitting the road soon. Office lead and SE area manager is calling all hands meetings to address staff turnover. Hello? it's you dummy.

PMs/CSMs are very controlling and use technical staff as they need them, then discard at the drop of the hat. You are definitely a pawn at this company.

Firm lacks strong leadership and follow through. The Consulting Group lead is a real piece of work really lacks authenticity. Alot of talk by senior leadership but nothing ever gets implemented at middle management level. Meanwhile your career stagnates.

They also fired someone recently that was really unfair. See other one star posts in this about Atlanta office and smart utility group being a real mess.

Get me out of here!
Pros
If you're a lemming you'll fit in nicely
Cons
But before you know it you'll be pushed off a cliff
Nice people to work with
Digital Support Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ24 September 2018
Over the years I was there the company went through several management changes that change to focus, expectations and requirements for my job. I was not given enough time to make all of the sudden changes they were expecting. And with the department being understaff severely, I do not think that it will get better for the department any time soon.
Pros
Travel was nice, benefits were good. Pay was good, people were great
Cons
Understaffed, no desire to backfill, expectations of workload greater than can be reasonably be expected
No leadership
Regional Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CO14 September 2018
It’s more about the clients and less about the employees.
Management is more concerned with the bottom line and doesn’t care about developing their employees. Most of corporate has moved to Denver with the new CEO coming up with scripted messages that sounds robotic and fake. Management thinks they’re better than the bigger competitors but in reality they’re just stroking their egos.
They are behind in technology from all aspects of the business and will be crushed by their competitors if changes in management do not change.
Wake up and hire people who knows how to market the company.
Budgets are getting cut and resources are slim. The website looks like something from the 1990’s where their competitors are light years ahead of them.
They say they are “the company of choice” but in reality it’s their choice to be out of touch and clueless.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Management is clueless
Excellent flexibility
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CO16 August 2018
BC has a great virtual working model and allowing employees flexibility. Strategy was clear from the CEO and easy to resonate with. I enjoy the work I to do and the leaders I work with.
Not really tough
Sr. Helpdesk Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN15 July 2018
No organization and had to tell how to prepare a peanut butter n jelly sandwich to a customer that didn't know how to fix one. Also it wasn't very intense. It was average. Not bad.
The people rock!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH19 June 2018
Bad insurance but the HSA is nice. They provide a certain amount to each employee every year. There is no room for growth really if you aren't an engineer.
Geologist I
Geologist/Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJ19 April 2018
Mostly field work from my experience. Do not expect a 40 hour work week they push to get you to work longer. Office is nice with amenities, coffee, fridge, etc.
Poor Management
NA (Current Employee) –  NA18 April 2018
At Brown and Caldwell you can not advance very easily. You are expected to work as a higher level than you are by teaching yourself rather than by being taught and then advancing and gaining more responsibility as you get stronger. Also, the management likes to work from home rather than lead by example in the office. But, on the lower, non-management end, people cannot work from home unless they have good reason to do so.
no comment
IS Specialist (Former Employee) –  United States4 April 2018
Used to be a good company before all the culture change, company is now no longer the company of choice it once was. Work life balance is a challenge with this organization.
Poor Management and Lack of ANY Direction
SDE (Former Employee) –  USA8 March 2018
Very poor management who did not back employees in any way. Unrealistic expectations on scope and deadlines for work. Standards are nonexistent and everyone just does there own thing. BC tried to be a “Virtual “ Company but does not have any established standard. Management stabs you in the back when unrealistic expectations are clearly documented. Manager even admitted that he should have “shown you this months ago” but then lied while on a call with his boss. Very unprofessional. Many of the people in my office were very nice but all supervisors reside in a different area of th US. My experience was horrible and I would not recommend Brown and Caldwell.
Pros
People in my office were nice but I didn’t work directly with them
Cons
Horrible Supervisor Practices. Very Unprofessional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown and Caldwell. Our community is ready to answer.