Brown's Fine Food Services

Brown's Fine Food Services Pay & Benefits reviews

Food Service Career
Cook Manager (Former Employee) –  ON14 January 2020
Suitable as a stepping stone job if you are aspiring to managerment in the industry. The basics can be learned in a position with this company but do not expect to advance. Most do realize this and move on.
Expectations are to high for supervisor and manager positions. You must handle all kitchen and cooking skills and do mountains of paper work on top of this. Unrealistic at the best of days even for some one good with managing time. The operation of the food service must come first so everything else goes by the way side.
The environment is negative most of the time. Poor wages and unfillfilling work are the major reasons. It is a hard industry to get excited about but if you are in need of work their is a good probably that you can get hired.
Some employees are good workers and pleasant to be around.So you have to take the good with the bad and figure out what will work out best for your individuall situations.
Pros
Meals when working, short shifts
Cons
Low pay, job not very rewarding, no benefits, part-time positions mostly, high turnover so always working with and training new peoples
Short term employment opportunity.
general help (Former Employee) –  ON21 September 2019
This position started out okay but over time went downhill. I found the work tolerable but the coworkers and enviroment less then desireable.

Some repetitive tasks and issues with unreliable equipment can become aggravating. Turnover is high and is not recognized by head office. Little to no support from head office and those with the power to make change happen.

Training and development is poor. Low staffing levels so not enough time for training new recruits which become frustrated and end of quitting the job.

Pay is not great, average at best. Benefits expensive and not much for what you pay.

Head office is unwilling to solve issues and defers the problems off to site managers who are powerless.
Pros
Cons
Min wage, mostly pt hrs at inconvenient times, poor training programs
Not Top of My List
supervisor (Former Employee) –  ON25 April 2019
I have experienced nothing other than unpleasantness with this particular company. I enjoy food service but this was just not my cup of tea so to speak.Quite a disappointing enviroment and not what I was hoping for.

The management rules with an iron fist and that becomes quite evident early on. Their way or no way. They accept little to no imput from employees who are better versed and able to give more realistic information. If you want to be valued as an employee I would rethink applying here.

Pay scale is adequate but not great. Most positions are for minimum wage. Dont expect any sort of perks. There benefits are a rip off if you even qualifyed. Very very costly for what you actually get.

If you are hoping for advancement you will not find it here. Poor moral is the daily menu which is unfortunate. Some coworkers are okay but most are only there for the pay check and don't care about anything else. Very unfortunately.

The worst part of the job is the training or more to the point, lack of. Time and time again i have seen new people thrown in to sink or swim which is unfair treatment. It takes time to build good people if you want success.
Pros
easy to get a position, shifts are various in lenght
Cons
low wages, mostly parttime hours
Do not work there/bad reputation
GH (Former Employee) –  Meaford21 March 2019
Everyone that lives in the area weather they have worked there or not knows the reputation this place has, they have hard time getting & keeping staff , very poor and lazy management, make you work 7 days in a row to get a weekend off, no room for advancement, they promise benefits but when it comes time to Actually give them to you , they do anything in their power to conveniently forget to give them to you, different rules for everyone unless your one of their favorites then you can do anything you want.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Not Top of My List
supervisor (Former Employee) –  ON5 March 2019

Pay scale is adequate but not great. Most positions are for minimum wage. Dont expect any sort of perks. There benefits are a rip off if you even get them. Very costly for what you actually get.

Pros
easy to get a position, shifts are not too long
Cons
low wages, mostly parttime hours
Positions best for anybody with low Expectations
Assistant (Former Employee) –  ON8 February 2019
Somewhat disappointing the way I was treated as a employee. Had high hopes and was led to believe advancement was a real possibility. Liked the work but not the enviroment I worked in. The job was easy to get but could be because there always hiring for positions. Seems like people don’t stick around because the pay is low in comparison or a better opportunity comes along.

The worst part of the job is having to follow the ways of some long timers that seem to rule the roost. Not willing to accept anything other than the same old way of doing things - their way. Management condones this behaviour.

Might be okay company to work for if looking for part time hours. Do not expect full time or benefit plan. Good way to get experiences to build up your resume though.
Pros
Short shifts, meals can be provided for a small cost
Cons
No benefits, low wages, little advancements
Management Unfair Treatment
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto10 November 2018
Management does not listen and has no regard for anything other then their bottom line. Profti made at the expense of employees. Explains why employees do not stick around long. Poor treatment of employees equals poor retention of staff.

The worst part of starting a job here was that the training process existed of reading some papers. Thrown in to the job and expected to figure it out on your own. Basically set up to fail from the start. This company is related to Browns Catering in Kingston. All the same company.
Pros
Food is provided for meals when working.
Cons
Minimum wage only. No benefits. No training. Minimum hours.
Tulips and Maple
General Help (Former Employee) –  General Help10 November 2018
Staff are rude and not welcoming to anybody new. Would not recommend taking a job here. Poor management. Employees are treated as replacable regardless of performance and contribution to the business. Disappointing to say the least.

The management and staffing has a high turnover. Training has alot to do with this because it is minimal, setting everyone up for failure. Pay is terrible given the expectations. They really need to rethink there business practices and self evaluate. Most other staff members would agree with this and it shows in the turnover.
Pros
Easy to get hired in an entry level position. Minimal supervision.
Cons
Long shifts without breaks. Low pay. Part-time only so no benefits.
Disorganized and Poorly Run
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 November 2018
Disappointing overall experience working for this catering company. There is nobody truely in charge and as a result one person tell you to do one task and somebody else directs you to do something else. Unfortunatly this makes for alot of confusion and not really an enjoyable work enviroment.

There are not many hours to go around so if you are hoping to work alot this would not be the best choice for working. The regulars are the only one getting the shifts and everyone else gets the leftovers. If you just want to work a once in a while shift then applying here will be suitable. Wage is low and there are no benefits offered.

Might be a better place if there actually was a team enviroment instead of alot of disfunction.
Pros
Some events are interesting to work at. Uniform provided.
Cons
Minimal Hours, No Benefits, Low Wage, Unfair Tip Practice
Company Not As Presented
Serving (Former Employee) –  Ottawa17 October 2018
This company wants to fit in with the elite, high end catering companys but does not measure up. Poor management with no idea how to treat people or run a business.

Do not expect to work alot of shifts if hired. There are to many employees for events so shifts are few and far between, especially given the number of weekly events which are not many. Unless you are able to get hired in a full time position it is not worth you while because you will need to work multiple other jobs to put together one full time job. Hard to manage so many scheduls and most companies frown on working around jobs.

Pay is not great and tips are not handled fairly in my opinion. Pretty sure I didn't get my fair share which is disappointing given a minimum wage main position.
Pros
Good if you are looking for only a little spending money but not to make a living.
Cons
Few hours. Don't work in the same place every shift, Travel to different job locations. Management is lazy.
Disappointing Overall Experience
Food Prep/Serve (Current Employee) –  ON12 October 2018
Expected a better training process and management is quick to criticize but lacks in giving positive feedback when things are going good. Company seems always to be running job ads so for what it is worth this might not be a good choice unless you are desparate for a job. Wages are mininmum wage and theres no benefits. It is easy to get hired because they are always having open positions. Might be good if you can stick it out long enough but most dont.

Some good co-workers but most will stab you in the back and are looking out for themselves so not a good team environment. Management does nothing to stop this sort of negativity and mostly just ignores it because they do have there favorites. Calling the head office will not get you anywhere either.
Pros
varying shifts
Cons
minimum wage job, no benefits, little training
Tulips and Maple Ottawa
Serving (Former Employee) –  Tulips and Maple Ottawa24 September 2018
Not the best team environment to work in on a day to day basis. Tendancy to play favorites among staff members and if your not one of the chosen it will be very evident by how you are treated. Ok job if you are looking to work less than 10 hours per pay as shifts are very sporadic at best. Was not the job it was presented to be so that was disappointing.

Poor practice when it comes to tips given at events. Certain that I was not given my fair share but no way to prove it, unfortunately. I did enjoy a few co-wokers but most presented themselves as superior so not my kind of place to work.
Pros
some fun events and different venues to work at
Cons
minimal hours, low paying, no benefits
Part-time opportunities only
General Help (Former Employee) –  Ontario22 September 2018
Not what I was expecting in terms of hours and shifts. You would need to work at least three jobs in order to make enough money to get buy on if you were employed here. Events are few and far between and who can live on one shift a week, if that. Was expecting a much higher level of employment when I applied and was hired. Management makes it seem like a wonderful place to work with unlimited opportunities but when it came down to it they were just doing a sales job to get people to work.

Only those favorite employees get the good shifts. If you have low expectations you will not be disappointed. Not the high end catering company that they claim to be. Maybe they are just new at this and are attempting to grow into a high end food service but they have not got that part figured out yet.

Some nice coworkers but management is not approachable when an issue arises.
Pros
The work is easy. Work in different locations for events.
Cons
Very little training. No benefits. Few shifts for most. Travel involved for some events.
Start up Position - Good for Students Only
General Help (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 September 2018
High turnover with this company so you will meet many people if you hang around longer than a couple months. Good for a first time job to gain experience but next to no opportunities for advancement beyond entry level positions.

Minimum wage employer with high expectations. Little respect from management when meeting the high expectation though. I would only recommend for a short term job.
Pros
Meals are free when working. Meet lots of people. Don't have to pay for uniforms from wages.
Cons
No benefits. Repetitive work with little recognition. Minimum wage only so don't expect an increase.
Housekeeping Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Meaford, ON31 May 2018
Great work experiences dealing with the public and supporting our military members.
Enjoy the fast pace and challenges each day brings, and the many memories made after 12 years with them.
Benefits
Cons
Wage
bad management
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 April 2018
Management is terrible, they steal tips off employees, and don't seem to even be qualified for their position. No training whatsoever, and have to pay for meal, not allowed to bring in outside food
Pros
a job
Cons
a bad job, stolen tips
Great place to learn and grow.
Kitchen Prep & Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 May 2017
Worked here for a little over a year. It's a greal place to work where you will learn a lot. The management there is nice and open to helping employees where they can. It can be long hours but welll worth the effort.
Pros
Lunch foods provided. Nice management. Good pay.
Cons
Seasonal work.
this was my favorite job ever Management was great
Bull cook , 2nd cook (Former Employee) –  tarrece Bay ON1 June 2012
I work for this company in two different areas. One camp in Glace Bay NS and in Terrace Bay On . I felt like I was Part of a big family.
I cleaned the dinning rooms set up stations like salad bar juice bar, coffee station . help cooks, salad cooks and Bakers. Did prep work as well . This company was the stepping stone for most of my jobs I loved working for them .I lived in camp for both of this jobs although it was in the middle of no ware ,I did not feel alone.
Pros
health benifits, days were really busy
Cons
the fact that my job ended to fast