Brown's Fine Food Services Employee Reviews

Not Top of My List
supervisor (Former Employee) –  ON5 March 2019
I have experienced nothing other than unpleasantness with this particular company. I enjoy food service but this was just not my cup of tea so to speak.Quite a disappointing enviroment and not what I was hoping for.

The management rules with an iron fist and that becomes quite evident early on. Their way or no way. They accept little to no imput from employees who are better versed and able to give more realistic information. If you want to be valued as an employee I would rethink applying here.

Pay scale is adequate but not great. Most positions are for minimum wage. Dont expect any sort of perks. There benefits are a rip off if you even get them. Very costly for what you actually get.

If you are hoping for advancement you will not find it here. Poor moral is the daily menu which is unfortunate. Some coworkers are okay but most are only there for the pay check and don't care about anything else. Very unfortunately.

The worst part of the job is the training or more to the point, lack of. Time and time again i have seen new people thrown in to sink or swim which is unfair treatment. It takes time to build good people if you want success.
Pros
easy to get a position, shifts are not too long
Cons
low wages, mostly parttime hours
Amazing and fun place to work.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON25 February 2019
This has been my favourite job, my manager was awesome and the atmosphere was great. Best kind of customer service job where workers get to enjoy the game via television while maintaining exceptional customer service.
Pros
free snacks and tips
Cons
late nights
Positions best for anybody with low Expectations
Assistant (Former Employee) –  ON8 February 2019
Somewhat disappointing the way I was treated as a employee. Had high hopes and was led to believe advancement was a real possibility. Liked the work but not the enviroment I worked in. The job was easy to get but could be because there always hiring for positions. Seems like people don’t stick around because the pay is low in comparison or a better opportunity comes along.

The worst part of the job is having to follow the ways of some long timers that seem to rule the roost. Not willing to accept anything other than the same old way of doing things - their way. Management condones this behaviour.

Might be okay company to work for if looking for part time hours. Do not expect full time or benefit plan. Good way to get experiences to build up your resume though.
Pros
Short shifts, meals can be provided for a small cost
Cons
No benefits, low wages, little advancements
Decent hours, constant criticism, quick to lay people off
Baker at Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 February 2019
Hours were good until they suddenly lay you off without warning.
I was constantly overworked and under appreciated.
Any attempt to explain to my managers that what they were asking of me was a struggle and often impossible was shot down and ignored.
Management refused to allow me to use them as a reference even after I put in hours of hard work and effort.
Cranky old women will throw you under the bus and blame you for their own mistakes.
I was often left to close the restaurant and serve coffee, while baking and cleaning ovens on busy Friday nights, and any attempt to share concerns with my manager was dismissed and ignored.

Overall I would not recommend wasting your time with Browns. They are a scummy company that will use you up and spit you out without so much as a thank you.
Pros
decent hours and work available, some of the employees were pleasant
Cons
poor management, soul-crushing work
Not the best work experience
general help/kitchen (Current Employee) –  ON5 November 2018
Disappointing company management overall. Too many rules that seem to change on a dime to suit the company, not the people that work there. Home office is in Kingston and they are impossible to contact if you have an issue so needless to say there is no open door policy.

Try to get a issue fixed with my pay but was next to impossible to get hlep from them to figure out the problem. Very frustrating. Not paying people what they should be is terrible treatment. Did learn a valuable lesson though that i should always check if my pay statements are correct. More times than not they are messed up and not just in my case but others to.

Some nice coworkers made the work bareable. Not enough staff though so workload is heavy most days. Not bad but a break would be welcomed.
Pros
meals provided, work is fairly easy
Cons
Next to no training, unreliable coworkers that call in sick often
Disappointing Overall Experience
Food Prep/Serve (Current Employee) –  ON12 October 2018
Expected a better training process and management is quick to criticize but lacks in giving positive feedback when things are going good. Company seems always to be running job ads so for what it is worth this might not be a good choice unless you are desparate for a job. Wages are mininmum wage and theres no benefits. It is easy to get hired because they are always having open positions. Might be good if you can stick it out long enough but most dont.

Some good co-workers but most will stab you in the back and are looking out for themselves so not a good team environment. Management does nothing to stop this sort of negativity and mostly just ignores it because they do have there favorites. Calling the head office will not get you anywhere either.
Pros
varying shifts
Cons
minimum wage job, no benefits, little training
What a Joke
Cafeteria Worker (line cook) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 October 2018
Where to start.. Incompetent management underpaying the employees to work a very high paced environment. No clear shift organization. Shifts get changed last minute.. No real training just giving a booklet to memorize thats outdated and changed. They will put you in a "team" environment thats nowhere close to fair.. There's disgruntled and unprofessional co-workers looking to cause problems for you even if you do fit in. Too many skeleton crew that should have moved onto something better but never did. Most act like there they run things when they're really racists who mostly cook burgers from frozen and work fryers :p. Most wouldn't recognize a good chef if they seen one. Oh and they will make it seem like your cooking decent food. But its cheap. Cheap to aquire and cheap quality mostly. Frozen or precooked and bagged and frozen.. Too bad really.. I thought this would have been a great opportunity. I worked there for just over a month and they still couldnt even order the right uniform. Very poor organization between management and an extreme waste of time. If your looking to grow as a chef or build on your skills stay clear of this shenanigans. I didnt even see my coworkers wash there hands like ever..
Pros
Meet lots of neat students and Fast paced
Cons
Poor management, poor hours, poor pay, misleading job info. Etc..
Start up Position - Good for Students Only
General Help (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 September 2018
High turnover with this company so you will meet many people if you hang around longer than a couple months. Good for a first time job to gain experience but next to no opportunities for advancement beyond entry level positions.

Minimum wage employer with high expectations. Little respect from management when meeting the high expectation though. I would only recommend for a short term job.
Pros
Meals are free when working. Meet lots of people. Don't have to pay for uniforms from wages.
Cons
No benefits. Repetitive work with little recognition. Minimum wage only so don't expect an increase.
Horrible place
All positions are treated horribly (Current Employee) –  Meaford, ON17 May 2018
Horrible place to work. Managanent makes and changes company policy to benefit their daily needs or to cover up all the lies they've told their employees. They don't follow dr's orders when to be put on light duty. Theres no training mainly because management has no idea themselves what their doing. Theres was 3 people on stress leave when I was there all due to the work conditions out there.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
bad management
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 April 2018
Management is terrible, they steal tips off employees, and don't seem to even be qualified for their position. No training whatsoever, and have to pay for meal, not allowed to bring in outside food
Pros
a job
Cons
a bad job, stolen tips
Fast paced, call in shifts mostly
Casual Cook (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON20 March 2018
Working for browns was ok. I worked in an institutional kitchen as temporary fill in work. The location was spectacular, I was treated as an employee and not a temp. Management from browns was minimal, the shedule could have come out on a more consistent basis
Called Canada Catering in Toronto
Cook 2 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
Worst work experience ever, manager was was abusive. No proper training or job description. When contacted management to discuss no phone call was ever returned
Pros
Contract with nice people
Cons
They see employees as slaves
little opportunity for growth
Administration (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 May 2017
poor management, no training, guidance or support. No standards, or margins to work with. No employee appreciation or recognition programs. Poor reputation in the industry.

"Revolving Door"
What I learned
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 May 2017
I learned mainly about recruitment policies and health and safety. we went out to job sites and did health and safety inspections and I learned a lot from this
Great place to learn and grow.
Kitchen Prep & Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 May 2017
Worked here for a little over a year. It's a greal place to work where you will learn a lot. The management there is nice and open to helping employees where they can. It can be long hours but welll worth the effort.
Pros
Lunch foods provided. Nice management. Good pay.
Cons
Seasonal work.
Browns
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 April 2017
I very much enjoy my job holding at Browns as a cashier, I have learnt many different things about team work and appreciation. Browns is an amazing company and I plan on working with them again! Everyday was enjoyable.
Pros
free lunches, amazing managment
Worst place ever
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Meaford24 February 2017
Worked there for 2.5 months everyone was very nice.Our union steward was not truthful to 4 workers. Never got trained just got thrown into the mix.Had to ask a lot of questions never got truthful answers from any of the older workers who think they run the place.One of the worst places I have ever worked at the mentally of the people spoke volumes.So anyone giving up a job to go work there think twice they will let you go with no explanation at all.And the head lady well she is a piece of work
Pros
No you dont
Cons
you train yourself
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 August 2016
This company is one of the cheapest I have every worked for.
The want you to do the work of 100 for the pay of 1. DO NOT RECOMMEND EVER WORKING FOR THEM
Pros
non
Cons
top of the chain management to bottom have no respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown's Fine Food Services. Our community is ready to answer.

1.9