Brookfield Asset Management

Brookfield Asset Management Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
Overall positive experience
Brookfield is one of the biggest and most competitive leaders in the industry. If you are ambitious and are willing to work long hours under stressful environment, you are likely to do well in this company.
Fast paced and collaborative environment for a fast growing company
Handling requests for review of Legal documents from sourcing standpoint, coordinating discussion on key terms of interest. Preparing documents and coordinating meetings for RFP events. Researching suppliers in the market.
My supervisor was very unprofessional. No management skills did not know how to manage her team.
Very unsatisfied with the job, absolutely no training or knowledge transfer was done. All that supervisor said was it's my expectation from you to know the job with no training or prior knowledge about the system that was mentioned at the time of interview.
Brookfield manages investments and assets worth $270 Billion in the following areas; Property, Renewable energy Infrastructure and Private Equity. Lot of Investment on transformation to Digital.
Good place, good work incentives
Good environment, lean work, sometimes, it can get intense around month end
Good people and willing to help.

Good social outings paid by the company.
Horrible toxic environment - no work life balance!
The company is great. But my specific experience is a horror story.I worked on contract and my manager was rude and treated me as if I was her servant. I was very new, yet highlighted every mistakes, micromanaged and questioned intensely on my mistakes. I bore up with patience and professionalism till I could take it no more. She made me feel so depressed and I lost my self worth working there. Made me feel stupid and useless but I know I am not!! as I had a great work record previously. The toxic environment, lack of work life balance and mutual respect took a toll on my mental and physical health in just 3 months and hence decided to resign in order to keep my sanity.
Worst Culture
Don't work here. The culture is awful and the politics of a 100+ year old company shine through. There's no saving this culture.\

You probably won't get paid as well anywhere else, but it's not worth your sanity.
Dynamic work environment
Fast paced environment at a growing business where you get to work with sophisticated professionals on interesting matters. Great compensation and benefit packages.
potential if you belong to right clique
Management doesn't communicate well and constantly in a mindset of hurry up and wait, frustrating to be sitting in the office on a Friday night waiting for feedback that they have been sitting on for 2 weeks and now we have to hope we have enough time to actually check final revisions before we release......
Pros
has potential and pays decently
Cons
long hours, poor management and communication
Good
Good Company to work for. offices are state of the art, the company is financially solid, Brookfield provides good compensation and good benefits to their employees.
Office culture is very tough and management is quite strict. Great learning environment and there's a lot of potential for growth within the company. No work-life balance.
Very bad work culture & strict management
CONS:
- Management is very strict and prefers micro managing

- Working hours are at least 10 hours a day and they do not encourage any flexibility

- Project managers are very demanding and are rude most of the time.

- Leadership takes advantage of their power and at times they bully their staff. If you complain to HR than they do nothing about it.

- Employees have to get use to lots of work pressure to survive

PROS:

- Good Christmas parties

- Pay rate is slightly above the market
Corporate
Culture was very serious and corporate. People were nice but focused on working and not a lot of importance was placed on employee satisfaction. No mingling outside of work.
Chaotic and disorganized
Everyone is a "manager", so no such thing as overtime.

Upper management changes direction often, and there is much turn-over at the Director level out of frustration.

The culture is highly political, and you are expected to shut up and hold the bag in front of the big fan. You are a commodity, there is _NO_ work/life balance, and "performed as expected" is the highest you can expect to get on a review.

Pretty good benefits though...
Pros
Outsourced IT, good benefits
Cons
Outsourced IT, lack of leadership, apathy
Excellent place to work
Brookfield is a good place to work, the work environment is professional and management is fair and reliable. I would recommend working for Brookfield to anyone.
Pros
reliable
Cons
straight forward
Productive Workplace with fair Compensation
Long hours but worth the effort. Great environment. Hectic at Q and Y end...But compensation is fair. Great experience in the finance realm, would recommend to anyone trying to progress their financial career.
Very professional organisation and great people to work with. Leading global alternative asset manager, focused on investing in long-life, high quality assets across real estate, infrastructure, renewable power and private equity
Fast paced, contrarian thinking, respected organization.
Within the time I worked for the company, I experienced the remarkable growth of the organization on a global scale. The talented team at Brookfield are thought leaders, offering a contrarian way of thinking and are respected industry leaders. I was privileged to work with many groups during my time with the company and have the utmost respect for the organization and the people who work there.
good
- catch up on emails
- set days agenda and targets

- prepare for meetings

- attend conference calls

- work on project activities

- work along with co-workers to resolve issues
Quiet and very professional work environment
Typical day (during quarter end): on the phone with various investment teams; aggregate the performance measures from each investment team in order to prepare for the quarterly reports; review and update case study info for each fund investments, etc
Hardest part of the job: long over time hours

The most enjoyable part: if you want to get experience from a highly professional and reputable company in Canada, this is the place to work for.