Brock University Employee Reviews

Good experience
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON7 May 2018
I worked there as a TA during a couple of terms.The people from the department was helpfull hard worker and nice. Over all I had a great learning and teaching experience
Supportive
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 April 2018
I really liked my job as a teaching assistant but had great responsibilities. The faculty is very supportive and will always help. Had a great time and would love to work there again.
Serious academic envrionment with good professionalism
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 April 2018
I have learned and developed my intellectual ability on how to conduct research and data analysis. The professors have good student relationship. the only challenge is that the city is boring
Teaching Assistant in CPCF
Lead two seminars weekly (Former Employee) –  Teacher's Assistant8 April 2018
A good job, but no job security. Seniority goes above all, and there are many older employees that take most of the limited positions.
However, the job and job environment are both great in this department.
Pros
nice people, good pay
Cons
no job security, no training
Director of Corporate Relations (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 April 2018
- met new people
- time management skills
- organization
- hardest part balancing it with school
- most enjoyable part meeting new people and listening to other ideas and combining them to make one big idea
Great environment
Course Lab Coordinator/Head Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON22 March 2018
Great environment to work in, students always make the company more enjoyable. Never had any complaints about management and benefits. Job security is tough.
benefits
Cons
security
productive and fun place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 March 2018
An interesting place that provides the perfect environment for learning and sharing knowledge as well. Not only is everyone friendly and accommodating but also creates a very professional environment to learn from.
Pros
Free lunch and breakfast
Productive and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 March 2018
I have learned classroom management. I have also developed verbal and non verbal communication skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with the students.
Student at Brock Univeristy - Amazing Opportunity for Growth
Marketing Delegate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 March 2018
An amazing place to develop your skills. The faculty is open and supportive with regards to student events. The students that I work with to organize events are very thorough and organized. I became very close with a lot of different people here and never felt like "just a number".
Great School
BSA Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON22 February 2018
Positive environment where students learn in smaller classrooms which allows for more personal attention from extremely knowledgeable and caring professors.
Great workplace and coworkers are nice
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON29 January 2018
Lead multiple tutorials throughout the week teaching the basic fundamental Economic theories and concepts to first-year students. In additional, I hold office hours and midterm and exam reviews for all the students enrolled in the course where enrollment is typically 900 students. The department has a great workplace culture, it's quiet, respectful and the coworkers are easy to get along with .
Pros
Great Professors and Teaching Assistants
Cons
Hard work with little support
Residence Don (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON24 January 2018
This job never really ends. Even on the nights you are not on call, if you are in the building, you are basically on call. You help your students, help other students, are a support system for other dons. I learned how to work with students, while being a student myself. You learn how to be understanding and have open conversations. You learn multiple techniques on how to deal with very serious situations. Management was not the most helpful. Aside from one of the managers, which I was not assigned to, it was very difficult to get my complaints and issues heard. Even within the building system, when this job was affecting my school work and daily life negatively, there was no support, despite that being what the job was about, supporting students during their time in residence at school. Workplace culture was a mix. My own floor of students was amazing, we had a very fun environment that was supportive and open. Some of my coworker were great to work with and improved the job. Others, including management, were difficult to work with and caused a difficult workplace environment. The hardest part of the job was balancing it with daily life and school. This was an almost 24/7 job leaving little time to balance. The best part of the job was working with the students and helping them succeed in school and in their personal life.
Pros
Free rooming, intensive training
Cons
Long hours, little support, no time for school
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 January 2018
Required as a Masters student. A lot of prep and additional reading. Lots of marking, exam proctoring and holding office hours. Overall very rewarding and great pay for only 10 hours a week of work--although often times the prep would take you more than 10 hours with everything else included.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Can be stressful on top of school
Nice standard TA job. Great people to work with
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON9 January 2018
As mentioned above Brock have some great people to work with if you're a Teaching assistant. Professors are nice, management people are extremely pleasant to work with.
Pros
Free to do what you want when it's off season
Cons
Long hours at time
Flexible and Interactive place to work
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 January 2018
Brock is a friendly, approachable community that takes customer service and satisfaction very seriously. Brock is accepting of any culture. The most enjoyable part of working there is developing friendships.
A learning hub
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 November 2017
One of the best universities in Ontario which provides with wide range of opportunities. One of the best things about this university is the co-op program provided by them.
Typical University Enivornment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 September 2017
I was only a teaching assistant, while a graduate student. My experience, within the philosophy department was fantastic. The faculty was a huge help in developing skills for teaching students.
Good money, good experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 September 2017
I found the pay to be fair and the experience to be educational- it gave me work experience teaching the students and running my seminars- it also gave me some opportunities to network although this is not easy as people come and go all the time as TA's
Pros
fair money
Cons
not always fair allocation of hours worked
Great place to work, especially if you are a student.
Lifeguard/Aquatics Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 September 2017
The job that I took was more of a student job than a professional job, but this is considering that I was a university student at this time. Having this job has made it not only easier to pay for my tuition but also allowed me to improve my relations with other co-workers and also voice my opinions. Overall, this is a great place for students to get a job over the university years.
great stepping stone for an undergrad student
Librarian Assistant, pre-service library (IRC) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 August 2017
I had a lot of fun in this position as I was able to work for those in the pre-service program before I was able to be in the program myself. I loved to organize resources and using creative items like the di-cut machine and laminator.
Pros
hours around your class schedule
Cons
some tedious shelf reading