BROADSTREET PROPERTIES LTD. Employee Reviews

Best job i have had
not disclosed (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 December 2018
This company is hands down the best place i have worked at. The friendliness of everyone and the culture is a breath of fresh air compared to working in an uptight office where everyone is depressed about their job and depressed about their life. Everyone here is paid well, but i do believe the pay is not adjusted accordingly to the provinces cost of living/minimum wage, hence why some reviews out of Alberta and BC mention low wages (its not low in the central region!)

The work and life balance varies position to position. If you are a manager, expect to get some after hours phone calls....its not like your property shuts down at 5:00. thats now how property management is. Same thing applies to Maintenance Techs, if you are on call (which is roughly once a month or less for only 7 days) then you are expected to attend the property for various situations. The company offers month to month rentals, so month end can be hectic, but you are compensated for the additional hours you work by getting lieu time. Organisation can be confusing at times due to employee rotation, so occasionally you are figuring out someone elses paperwork and mistakes...but again......if there are questions there is always someone available to ask.

The company provides company cell phones, company vehicles (depending on position), extra pay for on call shifts, paid mileage, paid company expenses (you bought materials out of your own money? expense it!), 100% employee paid benefits, and ample lieu time if you work additional hours.
There is an employee of the month program that launched last year
  more... where all the employee of the month winners get to attend our head office location for meet and greets, excursions, and additional learning opportunities.

The opportunity for advancement is great, and many of the non entry level positions are filled by current employees moving up.

The only time job security is only an issue if you take it upon yourself to do the bare minimum. Keep your managers up to date, take on additional tasks, bring ideas to the table, volunteer, assist other properties, etc.

This company is young. positions and departments are changing and being added and deleted depending on need. things do change, but luckily there is always someone to ask questions to. if you cant ask your manager, reach out to your position counterpart in a different province. there is always some to answer a question. Management is all young to middle aged people, and i find communicating is more open and easy going compared to talking to a senior on the verge of retirement with a stone-age mindset.

This has been the only job i have worked where people are happy to see each other and actually laugh and talk with one another.
Awful
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 August 2018
Did work for them, I quit due to them being unorganized. Not up to date, behind and never right. Awful to work for the maintenance manager. Doesn't know anything about the field work. Sites at a desk. I was never given tools, had to buy everything, and using my own. Never a full day work. Wage is decent, but not for dealing with this company.
Worst company
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC16 August 2018
Worst company i ever worked for. the job posted and was hired for ending up being different than originally advertised.Was supposed to be mid-level accounting but the 'controller' wanted a senior level accountant.
Hard to please, ZERO tolerance if you missed something or made an error. Was made to fix mistakes that were made before i even worked there but was made to feel like i had made the errors. No time given to do work, tasks meant to be competed immediately. You are judged for the small errors that are made and treated as if you are incompetent.
Controllers are unapproachable and if you ask for help you are treated like you are annoying them.
Dont get your hopes up that the job will be permanent, job is NOT guaranteed

There are better jobs out there with better people to work with, don’t waste your time.
Pros
they give you lunch and breakfast
Cons
management are unapproachable
Anything to get ahead
Property Administrator (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC15 August 2018
The office environment was great, friendly and warm and everyone seemed to be nice, .....but as soon as one person advanced they fire who ever is at the bottom, no warning or explanation. They don't create positions with advancement in mind.... there is a lot of backstabbing .....that goes on between upper management and staff.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunches
Cons
No job security, low pay
Worst company I ever worked
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 August 2018
Chaos and terrible management.
You need to be fake to prosper in this company, they talk behind your back and criticize you for small irrelevant mistakes. They send emails for everyone for small things that you missed and you will be pictured like an incompetent who can’t do your job properly.
You give your best, achieve the main goals, but they will still judge you for small things that you couldn’t handle in a busy day full of chaos and rage.
Absolutely zero tolerance if you missed something, so do extra hours and document everything because they will blame you, even if it wasn’t your fault.
Tenants are always complaining, you will be doing office tasks as well as cleaning buildings and picking up trash.
Don’t waste your time horrible company
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2018
They will work you like a dog. Don’t appreciate what you do and fire you with no reason. Worst Company I have ever worked for. No other company has ever fired me. Don’t get your hopes up your job is NOT guaranteed. YOU are way better and worth it working somewhere else.
Cons
Fun and happy place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 June 2018
Broadsteet is a fun place to work because in everyday of your work you will learn different things and good company. Management are nice, people are nice and everything are nice.
Bsp
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2018
A typical day at work is organised chaos.
From the time you clock in to the time you leave, you are running from A to B, climbing mountains, extending yourself in every direction and all with a smile!
You can be doing anything from taking payments, meeting with tenants, inspecting units, dealing with contractors, coordinating events, ordering supplies, shovelling sidewalks, picking up garbage, counselling tenants, managing staff, entertaining children, assessing new applicant's dog behaviour, credit checks, employment checks, dealing with complaints, having difficult conversations, managing budgets, and smiling through it all.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Not enough staff to support the operations
Fast paced, exciting and rewarding company to grow with.
Operations (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2018
I started with Broadstreet Properties 5 years ago and had no idea how exciting and rewarding property management would be. Yes there can be long hours, especially at month end but they make it up in other ways. Training can be improved upon, but there are a lot of experienced staff that are there to help and answer questions. Staff really care about each other and the tenants here. Always recommend friends/colleagues to apply!
Pros
Growing company, lots of opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Long days, often stressful and lots of pressure.
Scum company
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
While I worked there, saw nothing but stupidity from management and ownership. Buildings are poorly built (not to code). Found issues with mould, their answer was to paint over it. Found issue with boilers, their answer was ignore it (which later caused a pump to explode). Do not wotk here unless you like ripping people of and enjoy putting your life and the life of your tenants at risk.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Everything else
No job security
Skilled worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan17 November 2017
Even being one of the most qualified people in the company you are no match for utter company greed. After serving six months with the company without any static I was fired and treated like an animal and intimidated. If you can find a better position elsewhere please do so but prepare yourself. You are just a number and once they don't need you they walk you out in Shame.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Poor management.
Great improvements
Leasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2017
I can see that the company has made the necessary improvements to make sure new employees are prepared when going into their new roles. From having an HR background. I believe that training is key to insuring a successful company. To fill in this role, you really do need to have drive and be able to work under pressure. I don't recommend this job to anyone who thinks, its your basic admin role, where you just sit and book appointments. It's definitely not for the lazy.
Pros
Flexibility in days off. Able to transfer to other locations in the nation. Opportunity to move up.
Cons
You may have to deal with people yelling at you from time to time. Large work load, depending on site.
Progressive and Fast Paced Work Environment with Advancement Opportunities
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC7 November 2017
Broadstreet is innovative and progressive. I appreciate the energetic work environment and constant opportunities and challenges. The job is incredibly enjoyable, but the hourly wages aren't quite what I believe they could be.
Pros
Free lunches, excellent managers, positive learning opportunities
Cons
Low pay
Terrible company to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 October 2017
I was hired by Broadstreet along with 3 other people. Was treated terribly by co workers. I made several complaints of bullying and harassment to management. Once management knew these people were treating me this way. They "temporarily" laid us off.....basically fired all of us. I took great pride in working for this company to bad they couldn't see that. They just fire anyone and everyone. Especially in this day and age of zero tolerance for that kind of behavior, very disappointed in broadstreet.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible management
Power Tripping
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 September 2017
People from head office doesn't even care about what is going on in the regional offices. 40 people fired out in the span of 2 years. If you are nice to your people and tenants they will fire you out and if you ask for reason they cant explain to you and will say to call HR for the reason. When you talk to hr people they dont even know why.
Ridiculous people. Horrible management governed by a fired out employee of other company.
Pros
Cleaners and site staff is a gem
Cons
higher management doesnt give a care
Productive and fun workplace
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2017
The team is wonderful. The only con is that where there if 5 staff members required, BSP will only employ 2 making overtime an absolute which would be great if the company paid overtime or even for additional ours worked. Vacation time is there to use but is impossible to take.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Long hours with no compensation
This company is awful
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2017
The training is terrible, if you get injured they probably don't know what to do and you'll have to call head office in another province. The site I was at went through 4 managers in a year. And 4 leasing agents. They expected so much for so little pay. I was told I would get a raise and did not at the time. I asked 3 times before I heard back about why. I worked there for over a year. They also will fire you without a reason given and then will tell you they don't have to give a reason because they're paying severance. Terrible company with mismanagement on upper levels who don't care about their staff at all. Don't work here. I saw 5 people get fired without a given reason in a years time.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
They're awful.
Awful Company to work for.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 April 2017
They are absolutely the worst company to work for. Don't expect any actual training or support from management. They seem to fire people on a whim.

They constantly seem to have major organizational reshuffling so you have no idea who is in charge of what.

No job security and no coaching from management or explanation of expectations.
Pros
Cons
Zero Job security, Zero training.
Worst ever.
Site manager (Former Employee) –  South Winnipeg, MB9 February 2017
They dont care about employees. Providing hot lunch in Campbell River doesn't mean anything in Winnipeg.
You have to be part of certain group of their manitoba office otherwise you will get treated like slave.

Started working as a site manager and suddenly got fired for no reason.

Ask to contact HR. HR always work for management here and they only want to hear in favor of management.

I started working here for mine and my kids better future but suddenly everything screwed up.

As i said you have to know people of certain group for your job security otherwise you are out in few weeks.
They literally damaged my kids future for no reason.
Cons
Great company, great coworkers, great benefits
Employee (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC1 February 2017
I love working for Broadstreet, they've been great to me over the two years that I've worked for them. Fun office environment, lots of community involvement, and great benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BROADSTREET PROPERTIES LTD.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9