British Columbia Rapid Transit Company

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks

I wish I read these reviews before I joined up.

Had to use old rotten creosote railway ties for stands under vehicle. Supervisor have keys to our locks. Would remove locks and tagged out equipment without consultation. Would happily pay a contractor to double re-diagnosis faults you found.Zero recognition after finding out I was right. Overtime goes to the favorites in the shop. They do not follow collective agreement.Collective Bargaining Suggestion. Supervisor lacked any real work experience in any shop environment. Shop turn around of Mechanics high. Repair information is non-existent. Literally zero, but, the expectation is that you know exactly how it works. Supervisor asked me to modify factory equipment and assume all liability without engineering approval. Had only 1 quarter inch driver ratchet to be shared by 5 mechanics. Repeated requests for more ratchets met with accusations of theft. Requests to bring in your own tools denied. Doing bandaid repairs with the promise it will be repaired properly in the days to come... Those repairs are now permanent. And, if those repairs fail, the blame falls straight back onto you. I was thrown under the bus right to my face in front of Management. Although the Supervisor was there beside me when I suggested trying this repair. Although Supervisor promised to repair it properly after the 1 shift. Fault was all on me. Management does not and did not care to read the work order stating my side. Given repair work to do in the last half hour of shift, and, expected to completely a 1 hour job in that time. Was met with an angry Supervisor for not completing -

Pros

The people on the floor were fantastic. Some of the best in the world.

Cons

Supervisor micromanaged and actively sought conflict.

Not bad if you like to be anxious

I can't complain. Just like any other job, there's ups and downs. Best part is benefits and wages. If you're lucky you get to work with some amazing people.

Pros

Benefits and wages

Cons

Schedule/shift/hours of work

Challenging environment, but growth industry and fun

BCRTC is part of a growing industry. SkyTrain started in 1985 and has grown ever since with more than 1100 staff today. Work is challenging but also interesting because of the many large projects that are going on. Some may find all the changes difficult, but the leadership team is trying to do things differently. They offer good benefits and have proven to be a reliable employer when COVID-19 hit Vancouver.

Pros

reliable employer, good benefits, dynamic growth industry

Cons

hard work

BCRTC (Skytrain) is a great employer

I have worked for BCRTC for 2 years now and can honestly say that this is a great company to work for. Yes it's not perfect but what company is. The company is actively improving it's safety culture and the work is interesting & challenging.

Pros

People, benefits and compensation

Cons

none really

Toxic place

Really unqualified people in supervisory roles. Brtch has a very poor hr department. Lots of bullying and office politics towards subordinates. Worst place I have ever worked.

Pros

Pay was ok, hours were not more than 40 per week.

Cons

Bullying, harrassment, untalented supervisors, heavy secrets riddled organization.

Great people

BCRTC has done a good job selecting good people, however, the culture at BCRTC does need a bit of an improvement. Working here will expose you to the process of Translinks budgeting/funding process and test your ingenuity

Toxic work environment

There is no work/life balance, the shift options are 10hrs + for everyone. The management is mad with power, and HR lets them run the show. No job security. They find good people and tear them down for their own amusement. The work was good but the management was horrible. Don't work here if you can help it.

Pros

free transit pass while employed

Cons

everything else

Best Job Ever

By far the best job anybody could ever wish for. Been with the company for two years and have never experienced a more supportive team like environment. Nobody is going to fire you like a dealership job for having cancer or getting hurt on the job. Never looked back.

Pros

People.

Satisfying Challenge

Its a place that is in the process of changing it's culture. There's a lot of ground breaking work to do and has the support of Management. It's a good place for someone who wants to make a difference.

Pros

salary, benefits, opportunity

Amazingly dedicated workforce!

People who work at BCRTC love BCRTC and what they do! Moving thousands of people a day and connecting communities - BCRTC is a place where people are proud of the work they do.

horrible place

I worked Night shift in guideway and it has been the worst experience ever. Most of the senior workers feel entitled and show superiority to the new employees. The bullying is constant and if you stand up for yourself they will run to the supervision and cry. I have never worked in a company where so called men behave like little gossiping girls. There are a couple of good people in the company but do yourself a favor and do not work for Guideway.

Pros

Pension is decent

Cons

Coworkers

Poor safety culture and poor employee support

Company's safety department is not concerned with employee safety and staff are not supported by the HR department. The morale is low and workers (not unionized) feel stressed and insecure everyday due to the parent company's mandate of being clueless and uncaring. They've taken a company that used to work well and populated it with incompetent management. The pay is below industry standard now, with the poor management and poor morale there is no incentive to work for there.

Cons

If you enjoy talking with strangers - this is the job for you.

I am proud of Being a representative of a transit service that moves thousands of people everyday. Helping in the preservation of the beautiful skylines & being smog free because so many people make the choice to not drive. Taking transit is time efficient & affordable. Less stress in allowing someone else to drive you to work & catch up on your e-mails, listening to music, or just read a good book. Travel without the hassle of being stuck in rush hour traffic or the need to find a parking spot & save money to do other things.

Pros

Good benefit & medical plan

Cons

Dealing with the mental health & negative people

Very poorly managed not worker focused

This is by far the worst company to work for within the Crown Corporations bundle. They do not care about their employees and bullying is encouraged and supported. The Human Resources department does not follow up or conduct an investigation, instead they side with the Manager and dismiss the employee.

Benefits

Cons

Managment and Human Resources

Bullying is acceptable

Company that only listens to upper management and has a complete disregard for general workers. The Human Resources department are content to take upper management's opinion of others without question. They support upper management blindly while treating workers and junior management with no respect for their opinions or experience. They do not conduct exit interviews if the review may be damning, only if it's positive. The company in general does not practice a respectful workplace, anti bullying or work life balance. I do not recommend working for this company.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Unethical

Fun environment to work in with all of the different interpersonal dynamics!

Great company to work for! Great benefits and fun passengers! If you love working with people and have great compassion, this would be a great position for you.

A Day in the Life

As a supervisor at BCRTC (Skytrain) the daily responsibilities were varied and unique. We were required to deal with departmental concerns from budgeting to staffing and all points between. as well, the Track Mtce. supervisor was responsible for planning and organizing all work activities (both the Skytrain mtce. departments and any contractors) on the guideway, during the maintenance window to ensure that all activities could be carried out in a safe productive manner.

Pros

Excellent staff to work with.

Cons

Long shift hours

Not worth the wasted years

This company started out great, excellent management and excellent employee attitude. Now, there are no smiles, management is the worst it's ever been and HR are clueless, they side only with management and seem to condone bullying. They are not worth the time, there are companies with better salary and benefits who actually care about their employees wellbeing.

Typical Government Job

Typical Government Job. Most people have been here 20+ years and have no desire to improve or change. Pay is good and great job security if you can handle all the red tape.

Job culture fun and committed

Excellent management team to work for. I currently live on Vancouver Island and would like to have permanent work on the Island. Preferrably, the new Parksville location opening soon. I am an excellent, hard working employee!

Pros

Exciting, workplace

Cons

Live on Vancouver Island now and want to work here

Good place to work with great benefits.

Hands on learning with autonomy. Very hard working and dedicated unionized personnel get the job done!

Pros

long term

Cons

little responsibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Columbia Rapid Transit Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8