Work wellbeing score is 75 out of 100

Canada120 reviews

Clear

instructorstudentlearningschoollearnenvironmentexperienceplace

Great place to grow

BCIT provides various learning and career opportunities to employees, faculty and management. In order to be familiar with the work, I advise new employees to experience a full academic calendar to get a full picture of the role and responsibilities.

No room for advancement

No room for advancement. Glass ceiling. Complaints and concerns about conduct are not taken seriously by management. Pension is good but health benefits are lacking.

Cons

Health benefits aren't up to industry standard. Pay is low.

pros and cons on both sides

a very mundane place to work where you are comfortable with pretty decent pay for the work you do, but you also with lifers who complain too much and are not good employees who won't retire and wont get fired

Some good, some bad

The current state of our division is rough. Employee turnover is at an all-time high, and management does not seem to care about regular employees. The hybrid schedules are not flexible like the company advertises them to be. In fact, they are pretty rigid. Engagement and moral are poor, hopefully things get better.

Rigid and broken unionized school

It is hard to make changes in a unionized environment. Some people who have been there are not doing anything. Learning to be incapable and lazy, so your manager will not assign extra work to you. It is not fair for some new employees, but that is the rule there. There is also a high turnover rate. People come and leave, so it is hard to get " useful " information from people. You need to make your own judgment and do lots of research.

Pros

good benefits package

Cons

management is not accountable

Insights into British Columbia Institute of Technology

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Depends on your department

Due to cut cost, some department doesn’t have enough money to hire full-time employee when the senior folks retired. It creates lots of workload for the existing employee and some of the coworkers takes advantage of sick leave, it really shift the workload to others. The manager don’t really fix the problem but let it continues to happen.

This is a clear example of white-collar and blue-collar.

No support from managementNo growthNo trustif you have an issue with your manager, you won't get support from others in the hierarchy. lot's of waste of public moneyOnly job security

Toxic union work environment

Toxic union work environment, entitled older workers refuse to work and have little ambition. Wages are beyond low. Leadership from management is non existent, often with the wrong leader in place. Do not work here.

Productive and friendly

You need to do your work perfectly and work hard, but the culture is friendly with top management very helpful. Co-workers are friendly and available to help.

Overall Experience

Company was undergoing major changes with some political undercurrents this was not the best working environment. Minimal assistance to deliver content , minimal assistance to orovide excellent resource based education.

School of Health Sciences

People quit their manager, not their job and nowhere is this more the case than the BCIT School of Health, Manager; Diagnostics. This manager rewards, promotes and supports those with a poor work ethic and lack teaching credentials, those who complain and are the source of creating a toxic work environment. This manager casts aside, undermines and disposes of instructors who work hard and are loyal to the organization with documented positive student feedback. I have personally witnessed colleagues crying in meetings with this manager present, verbal abuse and harassment both in-person and online. All this behaviour goes on under the watchful eye of the Dean of the School of Health and senior leadership who do absolutely nothing to address the issues. The School of Health Sciences is the most toxic work environment I have ever been a part of. On an organizational level, BCIT is incredibly resistant to change and more often, change is obstructed. Idea sharing is discouraged. The BCIT learning environment has not changed in decades. How this toxic culture continues in this time of change and awareness of workplace bullying and harassment boggles my mind.

Pros

Students

Cons

Soul crushing, toxic environment

28 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. At BCIT, we value our people and are always striving to improve our employee experience. We welcome further feedback to identify possible solutions to address the concerns you may have. Please feel free to email us at recruitmentassistant@bcit.ca if you would like to provide additional feedback.

Awesome hand-on working experience

Great program for gainning continuous improvement skills such as project management, process design and improvement, and change management to ensure the business can respond to evolving customer demands

Recreation Services Assistant

Slow paced environment. Flexibility and vacation perks are great. Not much work to do. No possibility for advancement. Team is great but management does not take into fact that the decisions they make are what is best for the department and how they affect the staff that deal with front line situations.

Toxic environment where new ideas are highly discouraged

BCIT School of Health Sciences was hands down the worst employer I have ever had. In the beginning I was thrilled to get a job offer from BCIT since they promote themselves as one of the top 100 employers in British Columbia. However within the first month of my employment it was clear I had been mislead on what they wanted out of my position. Instead of bringing new ideas to the table as a manager, I was expected to continue on with the usual inefficient method of doing things despite knowing faster and more cost effective methods. HR is terrible at BCIT. The job description provided by HR did not match the duties I was assigned by my supervisor. I witnessed instances of bullying, sexism, and passive aggressive behavior between my colleagues. I attempted to formally report this but was ignored for months. HR informed my supervisor of my complaints and I was then reprimanded as being "disruptive to the culture of BCIT and that I should be careful not to upset the the wrong people". There is a very high turnover rate with management and HR. The goals of one manger could be completely opposite of their replacement. Deans and Directors are easily fired or quit. So setting long term goals can be challenging. If you are a young person with fresh ideas, BCIT is not the place to work. Take your talents someplace they will be appreciated.

28 August 2020

Productive and fun place to work

helping people and putting weights away I have learnt how to be punctual and more polite, with regards of management was really good, easy and fun to work, the people were always kind and they helped me all the time when I could not attent to the job because of school

Poor/toxic work culture

High turnover at the management/leadership level, many people fired during my time here. BCIT has an aging workforce that obstructs change, they are not open at all to new ideas. If you are young and have new ideas to share, this is not the workplace for you.

Pros

Education/professional development fund

Cons

No time to use fund for professional development, not open to any type of change or idea sharing

Terrible place to work

Terrible HR leadership. No HRIS system in place and there are no universal HR business processes in place which lead to continual manual mistakes. The other departments all have a negative opinion of HR at BCIT. Horrible office culture with bullying and no cohesive group and no accountability for actions because of awful leader. The VP HR rarely shows herself in the main HR office and has had a revolving door of employees since she came on board.

Casual Instructor

I do not work there enough to form a solid opinion one way or another, but it seems like a decent place to work whenever I teach there. Management seem slightly unorganized and does not respond well to emails in my department.

Nice environment

PRO: Good management in total, and working environment is Great. All instructors are friendly. Managers not telling you what to do, so you have to practice you decision making skills. CON: Low pay, and no benefits

Generally a pleasant place to work although red tape can be testing at times

Really like working here, nice people, challenging and interesting work. Red tape and business processes could be improved. Two main unions here are BCGEU and FSA, generally good. Not sure about how management treated but mostly seem happy working here.

Pros

Challenging and Interesting Work

Cons

Too much red tape, inefficient business processes

Terrible senior management

Student Services Management are terrible. It used to be a good place to work, but over the last few years has gone downhill. No appreciation or respect. The office is not managed properly and has become toxic. Management wonders why the Employee Engagement Survey produced such low numbers in all aspects. Sometimes money just isn't enough.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Management and toxic work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Columbia Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement