British Columbia Institute of Technology

British Columbia Institute of Technology: 99 Employee Reviews

Canada99 reviews

instructorstudentlearningschoollearnenvironmentexperienceplace

Work life balance

Comfortable place to work depending on our department. Great benefitsFlexible work arrangements for some departmentsPD funds A lot of red tape when working on large Institute projects.

High turnover rate and not fair to contract employees

All difficult tasks would assign to contract employees, only permanent employees can enjoy work life balance. Contract employees are not allowed to work from home, but permanent employees only.

Insights into British Columbia Institute of Technology

• Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Great place to work.

It's a good place to work with encouraging people. Students always have various needs to that adds a bit challenges to work with but very enjoyable. Great and timely responses to COVID 19.

Great place to work with good benefits

Benefits are great here. You can get a hold of the benefits package online through their website before you even start to get an idea of what is offered.

This is a clear example of white-collar and blue-collar.

No support from managementNo growthNo trustif you have an issue with your manager, you won't get support from others in the hierarchy. lot's of waste of public moneyOnly job security

Toxic union work environment

Toxic union work environment, entitled older workers refuse to work and have little ambition. Wages are beyond low. Leadership from management is non existent, often with the wrong leader in place. Do not work here.

Dedicated Staff but an Institution that is Difficult to Make Change In

I was fortunate in my role to meet many that are dedicated to teaching and learning. Not all embraced bringing forward ideas and experiences of an outside institution which made change very slow to impossible. Excluded from key meetings/discussions, making it impossible to meet expectations.Frequently expected to work late evenings, weekends and on vacations to meet multi changing deadlines.

Pros

Salary and some amazing dedicated staff

Cons

Strong stance on how it was - not how it could be

A fun place to work

I did something new every days. The work was easy and the people that I worked with were friendly and helpful. My supervisor at BCIT was very nice and suggested for me to apply at BCIT to get full-time work

Pros

Good pay, good working enviroment environment and conditions

Cons

Some heavy lifting

Fun place but challenging

BCIT is a great place to work. Lots of opportunities to grow academically and socially. Work can be challenging but in the end it is always rewarding.

Pros

Lots of upgrades

Cons

Parking

Amazing business to work for

I have nothing bad to say about working at bcit. Amazing place of business. Work politics were no drama and everyone lent a hand. Always came to work glad I was there.

Pros

Caring management

Cons

Parking

Diploma Mill

BCIT caters to students who do not want to study and have entitlement issues. I actively tell employers not to hire because students have not earned grades. It is very much a starter school for students who are unable to earn spots at UBC and SFU. BCIT is one of those university-college mills like Capilano, Kwantlen, Langara.

Pros

Cons

Entitled Students

Overall Experience

Company was undergoing major changes with some political undercurrents this was not the best working environment. Minimal assistance to deliver content , minimal assistance to orovide excellent resource based education.

School of Health Sciences

People quit their manager, not their job and nowhere is this more the case than the BCIT School of Health, Manager; Diagnostics. This manager rewards, promotes and supports those with a poor work ethic and lack teaching credentials, those who complain and are the source of creating a toxic work environment. This manager casts aside, undermines and disposes of instructors who work hard and are loyal to the organization with documented positive student feedback. I have personally witnessed colleagues crying in meetings with this manager present, verbal abuse and harassment both in-person and online. All this behaviour goes on under the watchful eye of the Dean of the School of Health and senior leadership who do absolutely nothing to address the issues. The School of Health Sciences is the most toxic work environment I have ever been a part of. On an organizational level, BCIT is incredibly resistant to change and more often, change is obstructed. Idea sharing is discouraged. The BCIT learning environment has not changed in decades. How this toxic culture continues in this time of change and awareness of workplace bullying and harassment boggles my mind.

Pros

Students

Cons

Soul crushing, toxic environment

Official response from British Columbia Institute of Technology

28 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. At BCIT, we value our people and are always striving to improve our employee experience. We welcome further feedback to identify possible solutions to address the concerns you may have. Please feel free to email us at recruitmentassistant@bcit.ca if you would like to provide additional feedback.

BCIT is a great trades school

BCIT is a great trades school, the most enjoyable part of the job is being a mentor to keen apprentices. The hardest part this job was the ongoing lesson planning as a result of curriculum revisions

Fun and active workplace

Nice place to work. Plenty of support. The campus in Burnaby has all the amenities a worker would need. Fun place to work. Lots to keep you busy. Days went by quickly. Free coffee.

Pros

Plenty of time to get things done. Multiple campuses to meet students and staff.

Cons

Contracts only.

Awesome hand-on working experience

Great program for gainning continuous improvement skills such as project management, process design and improvement, and change management to ensure the business can respond to evolving customer demands

Found a wonderful family here

Helped me better develope my skillsets as a person. Better able to utilize assessment techniques. Gave me an opportunity to become a better speaker. Mentoring and self development opportunities were great. Provided me with rewarding challenges.

Recreation Services Assistant

Slow paced environment. Flexibility and vacation perks are great. Not much work to do. No possibility for advancement. Team is great but management does not take into fact that the decisions they make are what is best for the department and how they affect the staff that deal with front line situations.

Great workplace

- answer phones - student services - great people - good managers - good co workers - fair salary - nice vibe - student culture - lots of amenities around campus

Toxic environment where new ideas are highly discouraged

BCIT School of Health Sciences was hands down the worst employer I have ever had. In the beginning I was thrilled to get a job offer from BCIT since they promote themselves as one of the top 100 employers in British Columbia. However within the first month of my employment it was clear I had been mislead on what they wanted out of my position. Instead of bringing new ideas to the table as a manager, I was expected to continue on with the usual inefficient method of doing things despite knowing faster and more cost effective methods. HR is terrible at BCIT. The job description provided by HR did not match the duties I was assigned by my supervisor. I witnessed instances of bullying, sexism, and passive aggressive behavior between my colleagues. I attempted to formally report this but was ignored for months. HR informed my supervisor of my complaints and I was then reprimanded as being "disruptive to the culture of BCIT and that I should be careful not to upset the the wrong people". There is a very high turnover rate with management and HR. The goals of one manger could be completely opposite of their replacement. Deans and Directors are easily fired or quit. So setting long term goals can be challenging. If you are a young person with fresh ideas, BCIT is not the place to work. Take your talents someplace they will be appreciated.

Official response from British Columbia Institute of Technology

28 August 2020

Part time instructors have very little connection to rest of school and staff.

I love teaching. But after years of working for this school, you get burned out over how many unpaid hours you end up working in order to get the marking and prep done. The hourly wage is great, but that is all you ever get paid. I think the students suffer then as instructors stop wanting to put the extra time in to modify or update their courses as it means more unpaid work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Columbia Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement