British Columbia Institute of Technology

British Columbia Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Canada84 reviews
Awesome hand-on working experience
Great program for gainning continuous improvement skills such as project management, process design and improvement, and change management to ensure the business can respond to evolving customer demands
Found a wonderful family here
Helped me better develope my skillsets as a person. Better able to utilize assessment techniques. Gave me an opportunity to become a better speaker. Mentoring and self development opportunities were great. Provided me with rewarding challenges.
Recreation Services Assistant
Slow paced environment. Flexibility and vacation perks are great. Not much work to do. No possibility for advancement. Team is great but management does not take into fact that the decisions they make are what is best for the department and how they affect the staff that deal with front line situations.
Great workplace

- good co workers

- fair salary

- nice vibe

- student culture

- lots of amenities around campus
Toxic environment where new ideas are highly discouraged
BCIT School of Health Sciences was hands down the worst employer I have ever had. In the beginning I was thrilled to get a job offer from BCIT since they promote themselves as one of the top 100 employers in British Columbia. However within the first month of my employment it was clear I had been mislead on what they wanted out of my position. Instead of bringing new ideas to the table as a manager, I was expected to continue on with the usual inefficient method of doing things despite knowing faster and more cost effective methods.

HR is terrible at BCIT. The job description provided by HR did not match the duties I was assigned by my supervisor. I witnessed instances of bullying, sexism, and passive aggressive behavior between my colleagues. I attempted to formally report this but was ignored for months. HR informed my supervisor of my complaints and I was then reprimanded as being "disruptive to the culture of BCIT and that I should be careful not to upset the the wrong people".

There is a very high turnover rate with management and HR. The goals of one manger could be completely opposite of their replacement. Deans and Directors are easily fired or quit. So setting long term goals can be challenging.

If you are a young person with fresh ideas, BCIT is not the place to work. Take your talents someplace they will be appreciated.
Part time instructors have very little connection to rest of school and staff.
I love teaching. But after years of working for this school, you get burned out over how many unpaid hours you end up working in order to get the marking and prep done. The hourly wage is great, but that is all you ever get paid. I think the students suffer then as instructors stop wanting to put the extra time in to modify or update their courses as it means more unpaid work.
Productive and fun place to work
helping people and putting weights away
I have learnt how to be punctual and more polite, with regards of management was really good, easy and fun to work, the people were always kind and they helped me all the time when I could not attent to the job because of school
Fun to work
Excellent staff, amazing security team to work with. A lot of things to learn and the hardest part is to manage all the phone calls with different inquiries.
Reputable Organization
Great organization to work for. Good for resume building.
It is a large organization so it was often difficult to get projects done within a reasonable time as their systems are beaurocratic and inefficient.
Cons
Beuraucratic
good experience
working at bcit gives you good teaching experience plus you get a chance to work with students and teach your industrial experience, i recommend if you want to gain some teaching experience
Poor/toxic work culture
High turnover at the management/leadership level, many people fired during my time here. BCIT has an aging workforce that obstructs change, they are not open at all to new ideas. If you are young and have new ideas to share, this is not the workplace for you.
Pros
Education/professional development fund
Cons
No time to use fund for professional development, not open to any type of change or idea sharing
Terrible place to work
Terrible HR leadership. No HRIS system in place and there are no universal HR business processes in place which lead to continual manual mistakes. The other departments all have a negative opinion of HR at BCIT. Horrible office culture with bullying and no cohesive group and no accountability for actions because of awful leader. The VP HR rarely shows herself in the main HR office and has had a revolving door of employees since she came on board.
Casual Instructor
I do not work there enough to form a solid opinion one way or another, but it seems like a decent place to work whenever I teach there. Management seem slightly unorganized and does not respond well to emails in my department.
Great environment for driven people
BCIT offers competitive opportunities and many benefits. I took advantage of the education included, the classes were a benefit to all employees that maintained good attendance.
Fine
It was fine working there. Students where english is not their first language is the typical demographic for being a writing tutor. So its sometimes frustrating when you can't understand them and they can't understand you.
Nice environment
PRO:

Good management in total, and working environment is Great. All instructors are friendly. Managers not telling you what to do, so you have to practice you decision making skills.

CON:

Low pay, and no benefits
Excellent business environment to work.
The co-workers are helpful and have a good career development for employees.

However, the salary is below the other companies.
Great school for finding a job after grad
I had understanding profs who valued the hard work and were always available to help. after graduation I found a job within 2days, because what one learns at BCIT is exactly what is need at the job and interview the person for.
Pros
peer tutoring
Cons
too many courses in one term
productive and fun workplace
it is a fun job with flexible shifts, I learnt to be more responsible and efficient, the place is fun and the staff is kind overall it is a good place to work
I loved working at BCIT because it was a fantastic place to work and learn.
I would go to the indigenious services after class to help other students and co workers with ceremonial tasks and projects. It has been one of the most enjoyable working experiences that I have ever had,.
Pros
Cultural inclusiveness
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to finish all the assignments.
Good Place to work but..
Overall a good place to work if your priorities are a consistent, low stress, low innovation work day.

However, if you are looking to constantly innovate and take initiative and learn, it might not be the place for you.

Overachievers might get bored too soon.
Pros
work life balance, good colleagues, collegial
Cons
lack of strategic direction, too much old blood and old ways of thinking
Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Columbia Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.
British Columbia Institute of Technology Reviews by Location