British Columbia Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Autonomy
Creator & Instructor, Music Business Program (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 August 2018
Teaching in the part-time studies program provides complete autonomy for the course materials and direction of learning that I am able to bring to my course.
Terrible senior management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 August 2018
Student Services Management are terrible. It used to be a good place to work, but over the last few years has gone downhill. No appreciation or respect. The office is not managed properly and has become toxic.
Management wonders why the Employee Engagement Survey produced such low numbers in all aspects. Sometimes money just isn't enough.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Management and toxic work environment
Productive and fun place to work
Recreation Aide / Student staff (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 May 2018
I worked as a student staff in the recreational department, but the full time staff there were amazing. They kept the atmosphere positive and were always willing to help.
Excellent Work Enviroment
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 May 2018
This a very good place to work. all instructors and staff are very polite and helpful.
Learning commons team is very concise and very organized team.
It's a very challenging environment to learn and tutor.
I love to work there.
Pros
synergy, work environment
Cons
salary
Terrible work culture and coworkers
Staff tech (Former Employee) –  BC29 April 2018
If you enjoy coworkers smiling in front of you and then behind your back talking smack about you, join BCIT. I worked in an area that is supposed to be dictated by your own work pace but that was quickly thrown out the window. Be careful of the your coworkers here, salary is okay and work is easy enough. Would have made a wonderful permanent job if it wasn’t for the work culture here represented by the awful culture and disrespect.
Pros
Easy work, salary is ok
Cons
Work culture, coworkers disrespecting you
Open the lab. do your homework, then clean and lock up when your done. Easy money.
Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 April 2018
Such an easy job. You open the lab for the students, do your home work in the lab, then clean close the lab. You are just there to make sure no one steals anything and to clean up once your done. Cleaning is just coiling a few wires, and making sure everything is in its place. Since the students a trained to put everything away when they are done there often isn't any mess the clean. you don't even need to talk with your boss outside of the first day.

You're going to be at school after hours anyways, might as well make some free money.
Pros
Easy, Get paid to do your homework, No boss.
Cons
Lots of competition for the job. No guarantee of getting it next year.
learned so much
Welder Foundation Program (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 March 2018
learned so many valuable skills for the next step in my employment journey
advanced equiment and instruction. the best training in all of canada in my opinion.
OK work environment
Part-time Guest Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 February 2018
OK work environment. Had to run around to get what I need; had to make my own photocopies; needed extra time to request for other visual aids; could not get hold of person in charge of operations when needed.
Good Benefits , Boring Life
IT Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee) –  burnaby , BC7 February 2018
If you want your stereotypical stale office job with good benefits and job security , BCIT is the place for you . BCIT is government funded which means slow work pace , if you're someone who likes being busy and always having something to do , avoid this place
Pros
relaxed, paid breaks
Cons
boring, stale culture
BCIT is the best to get a job as sonn as possible
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 August 2017
Getting a chance to work or study in BCIT is pretty useful for your career. After graduation, you could apply for a job since you already have two year experience in your industry. Definitely worth it.
Pros
easy to get a job
Cons
hard to graduate
Leisure job
Civil Design Technologist (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 July 2017
Great atmosphere to work, with an open office concept. Management are courteous and friendly, the organization values family and team bonding. You are in charge of your own success.
Pros
Free time
Cons
Not much action
good environment
STUDENT LIFE AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 July 2017
great people to work with
very good direction from supervisor
funny place to work
flexibility in shifts
provide a balance between personal, professional and academic life
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
low wage
Bureaucratic
PROG COORD - BCIT OP Mgt Part Time Studies (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 July 2017
Great job on paper and for the first few years, it was. Like running a small business but impossible to share in the upside. Creating and marketing product for industry market. Unfortunately, the bureaucratic pain one must experience to make change was unbearable. Great instructors to manage. Dedicated and loved what they do.
Pros
Lots of vacation
Cons
Bureaucratic
BCIT Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 June 2017
Two-hour shift with maximum of six hours per week
Meeting a lot of students
Good learning environment and very kind supervisor
The hardest part is to memorize and explaining stuff that you have learn to other students effectively
Pros
Nice supervisor, friendly colledges
Cons
Limited working hours per week
Intense
Instructor Automation & Instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 May 2017
Great place, never dull, but will suck you dry! Was great for the first fifteen years. After that, it was not so much fun. Imagine having your skill-set become obsolete every 5 to 8 years. Oh, try and keep up with Microsoft: started out with Version 1.0. What a waste of effort.
A good place to work and with interesting people.
Director of Project Services (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 May 2017
Working at BCIT is both demanding and engaging. I would say that the type of work and the variety of work makes it an attractive place to work. You get to work with a lot of people who are expert matter professionals in their field or with research people, who have interesting projects.
Professional coworkers
Internship at International Student Entry Program (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 April 2017
Working at BCIT was a good experience for me because I could learn from highly professional coworkers. They are very helpful and cooperative in many ways.
School
Student Project (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC22 March 2017
I am working on a year-long project that involves baseline inventories of fish, mammals and vegetation. It is a very rewarding job where there are long days in cold and rain but I know in the end it brings about valuable information. Being a big group, it is sometimes hard to coordinate times to go out and collect data.
Set Rep
Set Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 March 2017
My position was as Set Representative, basically a class president in my cohort. Was able to closely work with the faculty members when it came to enacting new programs and initiatives.

Work is fairly minimal as you are only required to attend one meeting per month, max 5 hours. (Wasn't paid as it is a volunteer position) but highly recommend.
Working as part of a team
Instructor (Current Employee) –  DTC8 March 2017
Some of the best teaching experiences I've had over the past years have been as part of teams that I have worked with; together, we have been able to consider and work toward the welfare of our students. This is particularly rich when we work with the same students over a longer time period because then we know how students will adapt to each new challenge of higher levels. It is, after all, our goal to produce excellent students.