Brightpath Kids Employee Reviews

Don’t waste your time or effort at this place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2019
I was an employee in 2017 and I can’t believe how troublesome the centres are. I was never given any computer training on their “special “ program, and curriculum, frog street. I had zero support from the manager who talks a good game but can’t walk her own talk. One has no job security and the conditions of the centres are the farthest away from play based learning than I have experience at any other centre. The work pace and home life balance was non existent, I often worked a 60 hour week with no overtime pay,.The manager often called me at home after 9 pm because she was so busy through the day, and it could take three days even for that. they will offer you a whole lot of sweet things to get u to take the job and then they will work you until ur half dead, and still criticize something no matter how small. The parents and children were the only thing that kept me getting up at 5:00 am each day to get there. This company was truly one of my most terrible experiences. Don’t waste ur time or ur effort. Terrible staff moral, over worked and under paid, and zero support above or below. I have learned from this experience that when it looks too good to be true it usually is!
Pros
The families and children
Cons
Everything else!
Go Somewhere Else
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2019
I would say that the organization is not well run. Management was unorganized and dated in their beliefs. The atmosphere in the office is like being in a morgue. I regret choosing this place. There are 0 passionate people in the office because everyone is there for the 9-5 to support their families. Go to another company, its just not worth it. You can be happier and more productive
Pros
9-5, set hours
Cons
Senior Management is a mess, Unorganized and Unprofessional
I Regret choosing this place
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2019
I would say that the organization is not well run. Management was a little overwhelmed at times and quite frankly the culture here is mentally and emotionally draining. The atmosphere in the office is extremely dull. I will say that my development suffered as a result of being here. There is also no room to grow because it is an operations company you are stuck, till someone quits in which case you're stuck doing their job for the same pay.

If you are choosing between multiple opportunities try to stray far away from this place.
Pros
Occasional free Outings
Cons
Overly High Expectations, No room to grow, Very High School like
Horrible place to work
ECE Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 March 2019
I can not say it loud enough... DO NOT accept any position with Brightpath. In all my years working in childcare, I have never seen a company that treats its staff and children so poorly. It is a very miss-managed company full of guilt trips and gossip. Anytime you call in sick - even when you have earned sicktime - you are made to feel guilty and told that ‘theres no coverage for you, you have to come in even if you’re puking’. A majority of the educators are mean/negative to the children -including speaking very negatively to them. When Management is made aware of this... nothing is done.
Pros
Absolutely NOTHING!
Cons
Poor management, negativity from educators, will use any little thing against you
Makes changes fast and doesnt care about there staff
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2019
I work at a daycare where bright path just bought and they changed everything. They don't respect there employees and all they think about is making money. They told us to change the lightning because it was not bright enough. The walls have to be bare and everything has to be on cork boards. Nothing is at the children's level and we have to document more through this high mama app. They also changed how we get paid with our vacation. Instead of getting our full amount they take it from our hours and just put a percentage on our cheque. so i was short 40 hours and i had rent coming up. We also have to pay for our own cpr which is ridiculous.This is an awful company nobody should work for them its not worth it.
Pros
Cons
no respect for employees
Everyone gets pushed out.
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Ottw25 February 2019
Terrible Center Director and terrible management overall. When I first started there, there was about one or two ECEs per classroom in the four room centre. By the time I had left, I was one of two. In an illegal attempt to meet ratios, I was constantly moved from class to class everyday. More often than not, I would be in one class in the morning, and then a different class in the afternoon. Instead of hiring more qualified ECEs and paying them a little more than a couple of dollars above minimum wage and treating them with some respect, in order to retain them, management stresses everyone out, and then scold at the teachers. Management also require teachers to force every child to nap, and it is not unusual for management to threaten or belittle the children when they do not follow unreasonable orders to constantly sit down. They are toddlers and preschoolers, and we are teachers, but management treats the former like prison convicts and the latter like military grunts.

You also get chastised and scolded at it you take time off for legitimately being sick.

Stay away at all costs. Families and teachers alike.
Pros
Quiet location
Cons
Long hours, rude management, low pay
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 February 2019
I have worked for many companies in child care and have to say that my experience has been very positive with this company. Having educational coaches that help you on a regular basis, is such a great asset. Director and assistant director on site is great. they also have Area managers to help support as well.
This is a very professional company and you are treated as such.
There is so many opportunities for advancement and they want you to grow.
The great menu (homemade), The curriculum and support, and the great looking classrooms are such great features of this company.
Every month they have motivation days for us staff and they really go out of their way to make sure you feel appreciated.
Pros
Quality classrooms and support
Definition of Disorganized Stressful Annoyance
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2019
The company is a disorganized mess with 0 direction to right the ship. The leadership is absolute and total garbage and the only real way to advance within the company is by waiting for the person ahead of you to quit. Do not work here unless you want 0 fulfillment and if you want to be underpaid and overwhelmed. The other pain point is that there is a premium on the benefits plan, FOR A BASIC PLAN.

Work for Kid & Company if you're looking for a job in Child Care.
Pros
9-5, Free Coffee
Cons
Disorganized, Lack of Good Leadership
Amazing Director, Great Staff
Educator (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC16 January 2019
The Director at Brightpath Port Coquitlam North is Amazing. She truly cares for her Staff.Great Team of Staff. I enjoy working here and bringing my little one with me.
Pros
40% discount off of daycare fees for fulltime Employees
Cons
Lack of substitute Teachers
Poor management and Greedy Company
Childcare assistant (Former Employee) –  Ontario6 January 2019
Work here for couple of years and I find out that the management is lack of support with their employees. They treat workers like robots to follow the protocol but the the company itself don’t follow the procedures. They believed to the parents complain rather than the staff. Every move you make feels like someone is watching over you and beware because they will write you up if you make even just a minor mistake. Expect multitasking and over ratio. Staff always complain a lot. Make sure you finish your written reports. More time on paper works than caring the children. I suggest that it’s better to work in private own daycare than a big company like this. Additionally, they also ask you to come even your really sick. Ridiculous hey. I don’t recommend this. Politics in daycare is pretty obvious. To those who apply well enjoy!
Pros
Closed from home
Cons
Poor management and multitasking
Poor work/home life balance
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Ontario6 December 2018
9 hour days and a 3 hour mandatory staff meeting every month as well as mandatory cleaning days and other mandatory training. Expect to give up at least one Saturday and a few nights a month along with your regular shift.
Barely enough staff to meet ratio. Often stay late because ratio does not allow you to leave.
Pay is never correct and take multiple pay periods to correct. HR is impossible to get a hold of and never return emails and voicemail is always full.
Pays minimum wage with a government wage enhancement. No raises.
Policy is always changing. Sleep time ratios are not followed, medicine is not locked up, sand not changed, never enough neccesities like gloves or paper towels.
Follows Frog St curiculum which is as far from emergent as you can get.
You have to spend your own money and then are reimbursed for budget money except that reimbursement takes months.
Pros
Nice resources
Cons
Long hours, inconsitent policies
It is an ok place to work
Daycare Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 October 2018
The hardest part of my job is being told that parents have complained that I have not been paying more attention to their child. I do enjoy the children and look forward to seeing them each day
Just don’t
ECE (Former Employee) –  Brightpath23 September 2018
This place is everything terrible about working for a large corporation. They preach to customers that they offer all the best in child care, but beneath the curtain they only care about making the most amount of money possible. This translates to practically caring more about having the minimum amount of staff needed to meet ratio and nothing more ever, making it intensely difficult for directors to ensure the quality of care is meeting standards because they are being forced to align themselves with this priority. Upper management seems to be in place only to seldom appear on site, intimidate talented educators, then leave.
Brightpath is constantly piling more programs and responsibilities on staff and the demands become harder to meet, especially with the issues with minimal staffing. If you expect a competitive wage, keep looking. They will offer you pennies more than a job with much less stress and demands, and will continuously dodge any questions about cost of living increases or adjustments if minimum wage is increasing. Policies are designed to make you feel insignificant, and are becoming increasingly rigid. Prepare to be disciplined if you wear pants that are grey rather than black, or if you dare have a body type that makes it difficult to find loose fitting clothing. You could be the best educator, but heaven forbid the curve of your upper thigh or buttocks not be hiding behind pants shaped like a garbage bag.
In essence, you will rarely if ever receive positive feedback, you may feel body shamed, you will not be paid fairly, the curriculum demands are impossible
  more... to complete over the course of a day, and your hours will be long.
Just don’t.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Company cares more about money, then the children.
ECE (Former Employee) –  Ontario21 September 2018
Your better off anywhere else, because all this company cares about is the money. They don't care about the children or staff. at the rate they are going, they won't last very long.
Pros
Friendly staff and families
Cons
unethical work place
Unfair work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Creekside14 September 2018
Two weeks into a new job as an admin and was told that I had to be let go because I was not working hard enough to BrightPath standards. I was also told that I was not asking the right questions, hence why I was not able to complete any task given to me as an admin. I find it unjust that being hired as an admin, I should not be asked to cover in classrooms, certified or not. If I am covering your classrooms staff for break and planning ect, how do you expect me to complete my tasks for the day? I was expected to know company policies and standards upon hire and was not even given a chance to maybe see how I do the following month, if I still was not upto "standard" as a admin, I get it, let me go, but not after 2 weeks into a job you are not even properly training me for.

I was just used and was paid a low wage, I should have left the first week in, as soon as I started being asked to do jobs other than what I was hired for. I know how daycare companies and directors work, get what you can out of your staff at the lowest cost possible. What would the center have done if I was not level 3 certified and was not allowed to be in ratios? How would you have solved your staff and child ratio issues on a day to day basis then if I was not there to help?

Very upsetting and unfair, but hey, I will find something better. It was not meant to be, that's fine.
Pros
Some staff were nice
Cons
No formal training, low wage, a struggle to ask director questions without getting that feeling that your dumb for asking
A worse workplace with raceizam and bad leadership
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  richmond road calgaaray3 August 2018
they are very bad to give you training. their language is abusing. racism is always there. for example, more of employees are Philippines . so if any one of that make even wrong complaint against than director try to tease you by giving bad jobs and if you survive than they insults you . so you have to leave.
honestly not good place for children not employees. hire you for full time job they told you that you are on casual job or on call.
Pros
salary is ok
Cons
abusing, stressfull job, racizm
Good Place t Work & learn
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2018
Bright path is Good place to work & learn. Staff and senior staff are helpful and team player. WorkEthics are to core and makes this place good in Child care across canada.
Poor leadership
Educator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2018
True leadership trains others to be successful by supporting and enabling growth opportunities. Corporate leadership here only cares about the pocket book and protecting themselves. There’s no supportive culture for the staff or site management, nor is there any follow through and desire to create long term employees. The turn over rate for site management is ridiculous which says something about the corporate leadership I think. They lead by creating fear in their employees with no consideration of labour laws or employment standards. Don’t waste your time gaining ‘experience’ here unless you want negative experiences.
job advancement available for the price of your home life
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
I worked for this company for a long time. I saw in the beginning when it was EDLEUN and was all about the quality and the children. When that management left and hired the now current CEO, the company went down and fast. It became about the money and no longer the quality of the care. Directors were forced to cut staff hours or risk losing their bonus. They were forced to cut back on the cost of the food to a mir $1.70 per child. Again if they went over this it would affect their bonus.
Upper management that did not appreciate their staff. When your manager makes you cry on a daily basis, this is a problem.
Heaven forbid you wear the wrong color pants to work and get yelled at!!!
Pros
competitive wage for management
Cons
decline in health and happiness of home life
very kind staff
on call teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 February 2018
i enjoy this job as it is a great working environment and the staff is very kind and welcoming! i am looking for a job with more hours as this is just an on call job.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brightpath Kids. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2