Brick Street Bakery Employee Reviews

Terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2019
I strongly recommend that you do not support this company. I was employed at Brick Street Bakery from March, 2018 to May, 2018. Prepare for a long review.

In the very short time I worked there about 7 employees, the manager, and the Human Resources representative quit (something I now am not surprised by). The manager was never replaced and only two new employees were hired. This meant that we were severely understaffed. As a relatively new worker I was working the jobs of about three people. I worked the front of the store and register, helped cook, served food, trained the new employees, opened and closed (often on my own) and did almost all of the restocking. I did not mind taking on some extra work or extra hours. At the time there were about 5 employees working at our location.

In April I pulled my lower back at work after lifting very heavy objects during my closing duties. I informed the owner and asked for a week off, as the doctor had recommended. Only three days later they asked me to come in because they didn’t have enough workers. I agreed but told them I would need someone else to help me do all heavy lifting and that I would not be able to complete closing duties alone. They assured me I would have help, but by the next day I was already opening on my own (my coworker failed to show up) and was asked to restock the entire store (which requires a lot of lifting).

I let this slide because I do not like to cause conflict. On May 12th, however, I hit my head on a metal beam in the front of the store. The beam is very poorly located. I went to the doctor
  more... and was diagnosed with a concussion. I filed a claim with WSIB. Now, 8 months later, and I am still unable to work. I spent the first two months completely bedridden. I have daily headaches, post concussion syndrome, and also just found out I have two herniated discs in my low back (from the original injury lifting during my closing shift). I am 20 years old, so injuries like this are not exactly common for my age and I have never previously been injured like this.

I have not been back to Brick Street since this injury. They were EXTREMELY uncooperative. They never paid for my loss of earnings, even though WSIB asked them multiple times. I emailed them recently letting them know I have filed a second claim for my back as I am now having to undergo very expensive treatment for it. I never got a response (big surprise).

Brick Street Bakery treats their employees terribly. They are overworked and underpaid. I can not disclose exact information but I will say that I was paid tips once in the three months I was there. I was paid a laughable amount in tips, and as I was in charge of counting the register and know how many people tips were divided between I know that we were not given even close to the amount of tips we made. (I was given less in tip money for three whole months of work than we made daily in tips). The owner of the company is uncooperative and rude. The food quality is poor- baked goods in the display case are left out for far too long. Muffins are heated daily in the microwave and are not even close to fresh. Trays and pots in the kitchen are not very clean. Only the bread and pasties are fresh. Those are very good and that’s what my one star goes towards.

I urge you to stop supporting this company until they learn to treat their staff properly and professionally, until they hold themselves accountable for the injuries that happen in their workplace, and until they ensure better food quality. They are not worth your money or time. Don’t work here.
wouldn't do it.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2018
poorly run company that does not take care of any employees seniority or not. No loyalty to management team pay them same as other employees, while the kitchen manger and owner expect you to give your life for min wage. massive regular turnover, new people training new people.
Bakery
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Original owner instrumental in the "bread revolution" of Toronto and the slow food movement. Amazing comfort food in 4 prime and trendy locations in Toronto.
Pros
Free lunches
Productive and fun workplace
Baker-Savoury pies stock manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2018
Great employers who listen to and care about their employees.
Training is offered to people with little experience. The kitchens are modern and clean, and big.
Pros
Music on the workplace
Cons
lack of organization
Fun environment and simple
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto9 November 2016
I learned a lot of stuff to do with baking/cooking at Brick Street Bakery that I never thought I would do. I moved abroad to Canada to work for Brick Street Bakery but just didn't work out so moved back to England
Pros
Got free food and coffee
Cons
Takes a lot of concentration and effort to make sure the food was made right and clean

Want to know more about Brick Street Bakery?

Ask a question