Brewster Travel Employee Reviews

Good direction, wrong approach
General Manager Hospitality Division (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB6 August 2018
Full of potential, well financed but very little importance given to he human being…work until you drop
Brewster Travel
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB29 May 2018
You never know what you are doing tomorrow until 5 PM the day before.
Great training.
Accomodations in Banff and Jasper suck.
Being a driver out of Banff is better than if you are based out of Airdrie.
Full time is not full time. You are lucky if you get 60 hrs every 2 weeks.
Pros
Great training
Cons
No personal life as you never know what or where you are going till 5pm the day before.
Prime location, great co-workers, horrible management
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB7 April 2018
Positives: Beautiful location, and is great for young adults looking to explore the mountains. Snowboarding, hiking, climbing, social life.

Negatives: Staff accommodations and treatment by management is poor. Basic labour laws and safety codes are broken daily by management. Inaccurate overtime hours, refusal to provide paper pay stubs, refusal to update trades books for apprentices (required outside intervention), claimed they paid vacation pay when I left company but didn't (still trying to track it down), refusal to allow hospital visits when injured at work (I broke my finger at work and was not allowed to go to the hospital until two days later until my days off).
Change is only positive when it is well executed
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB13 March 2018
Bottom line is the only thing that matters. Years of cuts are followed by more cuts. Managers talk about safety, engagement, how valuable their employees are but actions do not back this up
Old staff accommodation , main office falling apart, dirty and there is very little laughter heard anywhere. Not the happiest place on earth
"Living the dream"
Front Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB10 February 2018
If it's your first rodeo, you might want to shorten your stay. Learn how to communicate clearly and prioritize what's important to you before jumping in as everyday you will see beauty from a different degree. Make sure you bring a hard drive for entertainment as time alone won't be hard to find. Life's not about the punches, just how you deal with them.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Bad WiFi
Poor management, bad living conditions - Banff Gondola
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB31 January 2018
My time with Brewster was awful. It was the middle of the switching of management, so everything was a mess all the time. I loathed going to work everyday.

Pros:
- Cheap staff accom right downtown Banff
- Some of the staff was cool
- Free meal, and generally good food at that
- Usually pretty good if you are sick or something
- If you have to help with events, making fancy food platters can be fun and you can learn a lot if that is what you are interested in
- Lots of free stuff with Brewster (take advantage of it)

Cons:
- I was moved around a lot
- Little - no acceptance if you don't have much experience as a cook
- Management just honestly sucked so much.
- LOTS of overtime. Seriously, 12+ hour days weren't uncommon
- Very unorganized
- Often becomes understaffed and remains that way
- If you are in food prep/line cook, there is a ridiculous amount of repetitive tasks
- If you are working at the Gondola kitchen, the fridge is 2 floors below the kitchen, lots of stairs

In general, it was a steady job, but I would never work with Brewster again after my time with them.
Pros
Free Meal if you are kitchen staff
Cons
Pretty much every other aspect of the job
its great place to work
BANFF GONDOLA ATTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB30 August 2017
its beautiful place to work ,many many tourists from around the world comes there. espically with team i was working is outstanding team from around the world. and the management is awesome.
Bad management control
Grader Operator (Current Employee) –  Jasper, AB24 May 2017
The place is run like a college dorm. I live in the basement of a condo. No fridge, stove etc. Meals are prepared but poor for the most part. The people that work there, generally have very little respect for management and do what they want regardless of "threats" from above.
Pay is terrible as well for the job description and what's expected of you.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Poor pay and weak management
Travel, tourism, and adventure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB19 February 2017
Working for Brewster was the perfect working holiday! Get ready for new and exciting landscapes, friendships, and travel experience.
A great way to spend a summer.
Captain (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB31 January 2017
I have great memories of working as a Captain for the Banff Lake cruise. Everyone is there to have a good time. I would do it all again if I could afford it.

Pros:
- Really positive attitudes at the beginning of the season
- Great team chemistry
- Management care about their staff (although the burden of managing for a large company becomes apparent on occasion)
- Pay is better than the average entry level job in Banff
- Free training as a ship captain
- Giving tours is an exciting, challenging job
- If you can stick it out, you can be a senior team member after one season.

Cons:
- **Burn out** by August, about a third of the captains have quit. Replacements are not hired, and greater demand is placed on those that remain. By the end of the season, maybe half are still there.
- Late season morale is generally pretty low
- You have to maintain a very high energy level, so giving tours loses its magic after a month or two (Burnout)
- Housing was only provided by Brewster for six months. This makes returning for the next season increasingly difficult.
- Remote location. You need a car to get here. It is accessible by bike, but you had better enjoy biking uphill!
- Not much room for growth and don't expect a livable raise for loyalty. This is not a career job.

This position is definitely a top entry level job in Banff. If you're new to the area it's a great way to get a foothold. The job can be taxing at times, but you'll work with some great people.
Pros
Amazing work culture
Cons
Chronic short staffing
Brewster Travel Canada
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB5 January 2017
I very much enjoyed my time working for Brewster-- I hope that the next workplace I find myself in has just as welcoming of a work family than the one I found in Banff.
Pros
found a new family within Brewster, staff events, wages, hours, flexibility in schedule, friendly management
Cons
Mount Royal burning down-- will take over a year to build up again
People are great management not so
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB16 December 2016
Couldnt have had a more miserable time dealing with the management. I spent my time calming the staff because lf the way they were treated by management.
Great company to work for
Food and Beverage Attendant (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB14 November 2016
Brewster is a fantastic company to work for, with plenty of benefits and great management. Everyday I was keen to start work and be involved with the great fellow employees I worked with. I highly recommend Brewster to everyone! It was a pleasure to work for the company, and hope to again next Summer!
fun place to work
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB15 June 2016
my team leads were horrible , my manager was quite rude to me every day , made me feel like i wasn't wanted there, she did everything she could to make me leave. and i don't know what i did
Whirlpool JetBoats
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON8 November 2015
An amazing job and experience for all, Management was nothing less than amazing always caring for staff and going above and beyond to make sure we were happy.
Good work life balance
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Banff Alberta24 July 2013
Fun place to work with motivated and professional staff. Excellent benefits. Beautiful working environment.
One For All, not All For One
Unknown (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB25 July 2012
Average 8 to 5 hours with a lot of overtime. The departments don't seem to communicate very with each other and appear to have different goals that fall outside of the company's vision. The back room politics are unlike anything that I have ever seen which makes for a very frustrating work environment. The culture around technology seems to be stuck in the 1980's and there is a lot of resistance to change.
Pros
free use of attractions and coaches, great benefits
Cons
long hours, no paid overtime, under staffed departments, cramped working quarters