Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

3.3Pay & Benefits
3.6Job Security & Advancement
Found 12 reviews matching the search See all 5,771 reviews
Too bad it’s so bad
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boys & Girls Clubs of Calgary15 December 2018
The services they have are great but too bad the management is a complete mess. Work-life balance is great, but that may be due to the fact that the people they put in charge don’t show up either. Look for better options out there and pass this mess of a place up.
Pros
Great services for Calgary
Cons
Their “leadership” team.
Exhausting but fun
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 November 2018
A fun place to work at, but for those who wish to work; be committed these children need all the support and care you can give them. You need to be patient and front load these children. Make sure you clearly state what's expected from them and the plan of the day. Management was set up in a hurry where I was stationed so it was a hectic time whenever the site manager would try to get everything set up- that's the company's fault, there was a lack of support with management of the site.
Since the pay is on the lower side for child care, it might not be a great incentive but the children there are worth all the exhaustion.
A very unprofessional work environment
Part time youth worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2018
First off all I want to say that I made three attempts with B&G Calgary over the past 3 years.

As a professional with 10 years of experience in Human Service industry I experienced the most unprofessional working enviroment.
I resigned after 2 months due to the following reasons:

1.Misrepresentation on B&G side about the position's regulated aspects/nature. I was precisely hired as a Weekend Part-Time Worker however nothing of that came, in regards to the shifts & schedule distribution or even nature of duties.

2.All workers should have had regular shifts scheduled by the Program Coordinator and be treated as a team member with equal respect. That was not the situation in my program. In fact favorising workers and social networking is their main politics.
I witnessed full time staff voicing their concerns such as not be explained why the program goes through changes, what steps should be taken to satisfied requested outcomes , or having 30h shift instead 40h due to highiring new part timers. For examle : Most of my shifts were tossed onto me by other co-workers' pick. Those were quite often last min call shifts.

Scheduling should be a routine for Coordinators. If they are not capable to complete that task imagine how "successful" they can run a program.

3. When voicing serious concerns to Program Coordinators and Managment the result was ignoring the existence of the problem and no genuine willingness to take possession of the same in order to address it effectively. Some staff resigned their positions because of this reason.

4.The disastrous
  more... level of  communication via email. I haven't received any response on my email regarding activating a Sharevision password or completed training when I had an inquiry. How CIR can be completed when not having access to a data base?

5. There is no a proper training for new staff. Simply you go by flow and improvise. If you start asking "too many questions" you will see how much they dont know.

6. Clients in Youth Shelter are not satisfied how the program operates because staff prefer to sit on their phones in the office or to chat with Coordinators instead to engage them in meaningful daily activities.

7. Youth Shelter in Calgary was my third and last attempt to work for this agency. The first attempt was 3 years ago when I was hired to work in a group home and after signing the paperwork I was never given a shift! PRICLESS ! The second attempt was when I was called in for an interview for a position that hasnt match my availability which was stated in my Resume but they have realised that when I told them!

Overall, I experienced a very unprofessional working enviroment.

Pros
No pros
Cons
Listed in my review
A very good experience
helper kids (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2018
It is such a wonderful experience. It helped me to socialize with people and it is good to learn from other people and to get new informations. In addition, I was surrounded by children which used to make my days.
Pros
the way we collaborated with my collegues who became like a family
Cons
short breaks
horrible place
Camp Counselor And Senior Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB30 December 2017
unfair treatment, favoritism, horrible management, they were never accommodating, and they never followed their rules and protocols, this was in the city of Airdrie location in Alberta Canada.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad leadership, unfair treatment
Employment services at BGC
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver British columbia24 March 2013
BGC has some great services they provide such as the clubs, counselling but the employment division is horrible and managed very poorly. Your voice will never be heard, management will never take responsibility for anything and staff are always blamed when something goes wrong. Management does not believe in loyalty and commitment and make you apply for positions that you are already doing. It's chaos.... And a toxic environment to work in unless they bring in a new management team.... BEWARE
Productive and Awesome work environment
Aboriginal Services Programmer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2013
Worked in three different group homes, youth correctional center and two different schools for a lunch program. My work was all youth based from the ages of 12-18yr olds.
I held a youth night every Wednesday from 6-8pm for all ages to come and join me for a meal and activities that would help enchance their lives.
Fun, Easy-Going, Flexible
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 June 2016
I Loved working with the kids everyday, with flexible hours working around my school and football schedule, The managers were very helpful they showed me the way to becoming certified in healthy child development
Fun workplace with kids
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2014
A typical day at work is to see happy kids who have no worries running around. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationship you establish with the kids.
Bagco
An active secretary in The Senior Youth Council (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2015
Je joue avec les enfants des sports et je les aide avec leurs devoirs.
Pros
Je me suis fait beaucoup d'amis
Cons
Il ya beaucoup de personne la ba
Bonne ambiance de travail