Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 41 reviews matching the search See all 6,226 reviews
Non Profit
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC15 May 2019
Being that is a non profit organisation, there is no benefits and it's someone hard to find founding; but that's also was goes along with being non-profit. Other than that, it is a great & inspiring place to work at.
Caring Place
Sports Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 May 2019
It's nice to work with others who care about the future. A little too much control, but I understand the liabilities that accompany working with children.
good first job
High School Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 May 2019
it was an amazing first job. a typical day of high school assistant was having morning meetings, planning out the day and getting ready to pick up the kids. after picking up the kids, we would watch the kids play around the school grounds until breakfast was ready. during breakfast, most of the assistants and teachers would go help service breakfast while the rest would watch the kids at the table. after breakfast was done we would head back to the classroom and start up the lesson of the day or read quietly to ourselves. around 10:30 to 11 am students from all grades would meet at the school's playground and have a 15-20 minute recess. after recess math would be in store, the assistants would hang out books and pencils and help out the students who didn't understand the lesson. After math was lunch and during lunch, half the high school assistants and teachers would head for their break while the rest would play and watch over the kids. 12:30 would roll around and the other half would switch and take the kids outside for lunch recess. after lunch, the students would spit into their grade groups and head back to the classroom. during this time, either the children would be getting ready for a field trip, a special guess or event and the high school would watch over them, making sure they weren't doing any funny business or disrespecting the space or people around us. 2:45-50 pm roll around and it's time to clean up and get the students inside the lunch/breakfast hall and get them ready to head home. after dropping off the students to their houses with their parents we have an  more... end-of-the-day meeting before heading home at 4 pm.  less
Pros
30 minute lunch breaks
Cons
can be draining
They understand
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2019
Great opportunity for everyone looking to launch their career. Very focused on developing career and excellent training as well. Team environment and focused on being on minded.
it was a flexible work environment
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 April 2019
It was a great place to work. The schedules were flexible which allowed me to pick when I started each day and when I would finish. Also working with inner city children was a very interesting experience
Productive and fun place to work at!
Program Activity Leader (PAL) (Former Employee) –  Durham, ON16 April 2019
The most enjoyable aspect is the creativity afforded as a PAL to create an educational but fun program each day for the children. As well as, being a good role model.
Great if you want to work with kids
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC13 April 2019
Great place to work, kind and caring staff, great place to work if you enjoy the company of children, staff were always there to guide you and train you.
Pros
Great if you love kids
Cons
Constantly on your feet
Great Start
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2019
I helped to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.
Program Activity Leader
Summer Camp Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Durham, ON8 April 2019
Boys and Girls club is an amazing experience that will give you all the learning you need to be a successful program acitvity leader and when working the summer camp section I found that you get everything you need as a camp staff.
Data entry
Brampton Administrator (Former Employee) –  Peel, ON8 April 2019
My typical day was to go through the many applications of the kids and parents and record the information in the database. As well as help out with any other duties.
Perfect
Youth worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2019
They helped you find jobs, they also have amazing after school programs and they also have snacks for the kids for their after school program and they also assist you in making a resume and cover letter
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
nothing
Low class working conditions with minimal communication
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 April 2019
While working at the Boys and girls club I learnt the outcome of having minimul to no inter community communication. I was left with unclear instructions more times than anyone shoud be.
Employment for Children 12+ at Calgary Stampede
AM Barrel Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 March 2019
11 Days working on the grounds, near the midway, at the Calgary Stampede. Picking up garbage and emptying garbage cans.
Learn to work in a team environment with a supervisor for 7 hours a day.
The most difficult part of the job was the elements such as heat and rain. Most enjoyable part was the pay cheque and free admission to the Stampede.
Pros
Meeting new people and making own money
Cons
Picking up messy garbage and walking in the heat
Super Fun Work Environment
YOUTH SUMMER CAMP COUNCILLOR (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB12 March 2019
• Enhanced leadership and team work qualities
• Managed time for self and those in care
• Organized events for all ages
• Ability to quickly resolve unexpected conflict
• Improved responsibility, patience and flexibility
• Improved decision-making skills
• Kept all children safe and entertained using a variety of activities
productive and fun place to work
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 March 2019
this was during my practicum, so i learned alot of what goes on at the boys and girls club. Its a before and after school program, where students can take part in numerous activities.
i loved working on fun science and drama activity
Youth Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Boys & Girls Club of East Scarborough7 March 2019
As staff i built a bond with kids and their parents/guardian to not only make the kids feel safe but to reassure parents that the boys and girls club is a safe place for their children to learn new and exciting games and activities and get help with homework. The kids also learned responsibilities by cleaning up after an activity or helping with snakes or even taking attendance so they know all the other faces enrolled in the program. As a staff member i made it my responsibility to teach the kids i work with to look out for each other and to talk out their differences without yelling and fighting which was great because saw a difference in their kids attitude towards their siblings.
Fun Workplace
Site Supervisor and Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2019
The boys and girls club was a really good time. during my summers I went and did program aid and it was a great experience. My job was to oversee 75 kids.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Salary
Kids are great but the meathods and rules are outdated
PAL (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 March 2019
The kids are awesome but the rules and meathods the company uses, at least at the location I worked at were very outdated. It’s an after-school program but you’re forced to run it like some sort of military bootcamp or something. Also, half of the staff are too hard on the kids for things that don’t even matter, like you’re not allowed to play with a barbie like an airplane because “that’s not how we are supposed to use these toys.” Very weird.
Pros
Kids are lovely and they really cheer you up
Cons
Managment is really strangely evil in a way that you wouldn’t expect in childcare.
Great
Volunteer - Supervisor/Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2019
One of the most valuable teaching experiences I had ever had. It really helped me evolve as a person and learn many new things. Volunteering here really changed me.
loved it
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2019
i lover working with all the kids. playing games and helping them with there homework. would love to go back and help out. it was a lot of fun there..