Boyle Street Community Services

Boyle Street Community Services Employee Reviews

No communication and poor managers

Bad communication, managers and staff don't know what's going on. Seem to hire managers that don't know what they're doing and how to supervise. Most rewarding was working with community but lack or support and communication didn't make it fun.

Where staff go to burn out

Not a fan of management. The whole Shaw conference center was a gong show and they had zero clue on what to do. Even sent out text messages about critical safety information because they had zero protocols in place. Love the patients. Front line staff are cool but they burn out really quick.

Pros

community members

Cons

management, not safe working there

Fun workplace

I am currently working with Boyle as a casual, I love it there, my team is amazing we support and help each other I’m everything we need, we have to deal with stressful community members every day all day, but even though is hard and dangerous sometimes, I feel safe and I feel like I belong, the other day I got physically assaulted and the security and staff protected me and support me on everything, the only thing I don’t like about my current job is that I am a casual so I have no benefits :(, still good pay. My team lead is extremely encouraging helpful and fun to work with, my team is full of young people. Which is even better if, I have learned so much in Boyle-street. And I am happy to work here.

Pros

Free lunches, fun workplace.

Cons

no benefits if you are casual.

Very fun place to work. Great team

Great team and coworkers. Excellent pay. Flexible schedule. Great experience working with vulnerable populations. Fun and rewarding job. Learn new things all the time

Pros

Pay

Cons

No benefits, job security

Very unprofessional staff

Staff competition for hours, being jealous of eachother hours.Management is in poor taste of skills. Lack of any empathy. It's a bunch of nursing students running around acting like doctors. Treating people less than human.Really a turn off.

Management is a joke

Unacceptable working conditions and management that has no idea what there doing no communication between any of the department's it is a compete mess don't waste your time.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, horrible management, childish environment

Love Boyle street community services

It has been a great working experience so far. Boyle street is a major player in the new homeless shelter in Edmonton. The ECC 24 7 shelter is located at the former shaw convention center. It is now the Edmonton convention center. Or ECC. I like the center alot. However its not ideal for a shelter in some ways..it maybe renewed after the 1st 5 months is used up. Nobody knows yet.

Pros

Positive people

Cons

No microwave. ..

The worst management I have ever known

Our manager is a narcissist who plays staff against one another, cannot handle the basics of being a manager, and consistently needs his ego stroked. If you disagree with him he writes staff up and hauls them into HR, who is a giggly joke of a woman. He is rude, disrespectful and cannot do the basic job that it takes to be a manager. There is no support here as all the management is the same. Labour laws are consistently broken and staff is afraid for they’re jobs as you never know what he will make up about you, if you have disagreed with him. This man has no business managing anything and yet he fits right in. Run, don’t walk away from Boyle Street, your self worth and mental health isn’t worth the paycheque.

Pros

Some staff are wonderful and the benefits are good

Cons

Manager

If you want to be a youth worker here, run now.

I can’t speak for the company as a whole but the small group home section for youth is an incredibly toxic environment with huge turnover because everyone either quits or gets unethically let go. Absolutely horrible management that gossip about you behind your back to your fellow co-workers. You will be forced to make decisions based on keeping the youth safe, yet your choices will always be incorrect and you will always be pulled into the office and in trouble for decisions you were forced to make due to lack of support from management and staff. They do not follow their policies and procedures and do not write you up, instead, they lure you into a false sense of security, give you feedback that you’re doing great, and then fire you out of the blue. I had actually quit my job and they attempted to write it up as a termination until I threatened legal action. There is so much drama with management that you can’t hope to make any difference in the lives of the youth, as you’re too busy “watching your back.” Don’t trust HR or any of the team leads/management team, they are all friends with each other. Also, management is always messing up the work schedule and then force you to go home when they’ve double booked staff, or penalize you when they put your name down for a shift you were never supposed to work, so you obviously don’t show up for it.

Pros

None.

Cons

The worst culture/management you will ever see. Not worth your mental health. Run.

Overpaid,Absentee directors,overworked mgrs, frontline left to figure it out

run mostly by a bunch of white middle class who pretend to support a multicultural workplace.- so sad;( blacks, hispanics, asians not welcome here. cater only to indigenous addicts because they know it's easy way to get gov $ . rampant nepotism., bullying, our poor deserve better.

Jobs at Boyle Street Community Services

See more jobs

Collaborative management style and Autonomy

Here, there is a collaborative management style and you'll have autonomy in your work day. Management meets with you monthly to ask how they can support you in your work and yearly, the company sends out a satisfaction survey to their employees. Throughout the year employees get updates on how the concerns brought up in the survey are being addressed. You'll have a lot of autonomy in your work day here for e.g. deciding when to take your break and what tasks you want to focus on for that day. There is also emphasis on employee health here. The benefits are great and employees are encouraged to use sick days for appointments or even for "mental health days."

Lateral violence, toxic leadership team, funding shell game

One of the most rewarding client based services. However due to negative staffing culture and managements avoidant then punitive style breads burnout

Pros

The clients and other service users

Cons

Leadership, misuse of funding resources, high burnout/turnover

It was a good experience

Interesting work it was right up my alley for my education and I enjoyed it most days. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was easy to get to and from. They care about the people and the issues at hand. It was an eye opener to the issues we have here in Edmonton’s inner city

Unfriendly work environment.

Toxic management and worst racism among the staff. Management does favouritism to some staff they like and other staff will be the victims of gossips. They will make you run throughout the houses to work.

Pros

Free lunches.

Cons

Loved the work, hated the environment

My job primarily involved working with high-risk/high-needs youth in their residential program. PROS: - Felt fairly compensated for my work -- great benefits package for full-time staff - Working with the youth was a lot of fun (although there were difficult times -- youth are often physically/verbally aggressive and this can get stressful) - Generally got along very well with frontline coworkers -- you're working as a team so you develop pretty close bonds. CONS: - Management culture is TOXIC here. Like, Chernobyl toxic. Gossip, favouritism, etc. runs rampant. Not uncommon to hear management berating colleagues/name-calling behind people's backs. Horribly unprofessional. No real recourse in terms of bringing concerns forward as the lack of care seems to run right to the top. - The lack of support for employees here is appalling. Employees regularly deal with stressful/traumatic situations on the day-to-day and these concerns are typically dismissed. There's a lot of talk about self-care amongst the organization but employees who actually took steps to engage in self-care would be ridiculed or sometimes punished (e.g. not given shifts if part-time) - This is HARD work. You can leave feeling physically exhausted. Not uncommon to be hit/bitten/otherwise hurt by youth as there were several highly aggressive youth in the program when I worked here. - Little follow-up/follow-through on training, leading to a lot of poorly/improperly trained employees. Very frustrating to be on shift with someone who was supposed to be trained in crisis interventions but -

stepping stone

Good place to begin your field or carrier, or to gain experience. Plenty of job opportunities DEPENDING on what youre willing to do. Management is a joke though.

Pros

dress code is lax, don't have to stay in one spot. most of the staff are cool

Cons

managment doesnt care or take concerns seriously.

Challenging and ever changing

It can be challenging but very rewarding, the client base bring a lot of different situations for staff to deal with. It can be sometimes a scary place when violence breaks out but there is usually enough staff support to ensure safety.

Loved working at Boyle Street

I was able to learn and also give back to the community working at Boyle Street. I found the hardest part of the job was not able to help everyone or seeing community members struggle. When I worked at Boyle street everyone was amazing and understanding that i was not able to do much due to being pregnant. I love love to work at Boyle Street again.

Pros

Help give back to the community

Cons

Stress of the job

Patronizing & Unsupportive

Terrible management, lack of support from higher ups. My voice was not heard. My spirit was crushed. Supervisions follow their agenda, not yours. They frown upon conflicting opinion.

Pros

Potlucks every other month.

Cons

Terrible management.

fun place to work

the hardest part of the job was having to listen to the youth story's and you would like to take them in to help them. i learned that everyone as a story and you have to find out on how you could help. management was also great to work with. the whole team that i worked with were all understanding, you have to have a big heart to work at Boyle street community services.

Pros

helping to change a youths life

Cons

sometimes hard to hear the story's

Horrible workplace - does not care about staff

Poor management. Doesn't truly care about their staff, say they want a work life balance and self care but only if it fits their idea. Poor personal boundaries from managers. Will say they will support you if there is a crisis with a client but won't listen to your voice in how they can best support you. Very toxic work place.

Pros

Pay is good for a non profit

Cons

Don't care about staff at all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boyle Street Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8