Bow Valley College Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Enjoyed watching my students grow into wonderful nurses
LPN CLINICAL NURSING INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2019
Working with nursing students was a wonderful experience. My students had an opportunity to work with patients on a Trauma/Surgery unit which allowed for them to demonstrate their skills that the had learned in lab.
Amazing administration
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2019
This is a great place to work. Very organized administrators. The students are also vetted and the building is modern and clean. The learning system is easy to use.
A Very personable place to workl
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2019
Every thing I every needed or wanted was given to my classroom. A Very good balance of holidays and work. Time off was given freely if you had a reasonable reason for your reprieve. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The assignments are very aligned to your specialty.
The workplace culture if one of politeness and caring. The most enjoyable part of my day was having lunch with my colleagues.
Productive and fun workplace
Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2019
Friendly team! Very comfortable workplace! Clean and nice! If you want part time or full time work - this job is for you! Manager always can help you with work shift.
Amazing work environment, I loved it here.
Media Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2019
I spent my time here on a part-time contract. My co-workers and management were incredibly supportive and actively made an effort to help me grow professionally and listened to me whenever I had any concerns about projects or the work environment.

They were very welcoming and gave me the opportunity to take on new responsibilities without it becoming overwhelming, including allowing me to say no to projects that did not meet certain criteria (such as a reasonable expected turnaround date and a locked down scope of work.)

I was also allowed a VERY flexible schedule, allowing me to switch days or hours as often as needed as long as I provided reasonable notice, and they trusted me to get the work done on my own schedule without making me feel pressured. The result of this was that even in the busiest periods, I felt confident in being able to complete the work on time (often well before the deadline) without feeling stressed out.

Regular meetings were also scheduled twice monthly to ensure that I felt I was getting everything I needed to do my job, that I wasn't overburdened or did not have enough to do, and any suggestions to what could be done better. I was even given the opportunity to make my own proposals for adding to the department or the school in general.

The hardest part of this job was honestly leaving. I was lucky enough to have my contract extended and even received a promotion during my short tenure as a media developer. They unfortunately did not have the budget at the time to renew my contract, but I'd be happy to return in the future if the opportunity
  more... arises.

I still keep in touch with my former co-workers as well. If you have the opportunity to work here, I can't recommend it enough, this was an incredibly pleasant experience and I very quickly grew my own skills outside of my normal comfort zone thanks to some amazing guidance from empathetic and genuine co-workers and management.
Pros
Excellent management and co-workers, very welcoming atmosphere
Cons
Difficult to get a permanent position and full time hours
Learn new everyday
Computer Network Technician / System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2019
Always learn new things everyday. Well managed company. People are so friendly easy to get along. Enjoying working with the faculties and students everyday.
Pros
breaks is open
Cons
hours is good
A great place to work
Instructor (Traditional Classroom) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2019
Hands down one of the best jobs I have ever had. I could not wait to go to work every day. I worked with a great team of educators who were supportive and caring. The majority of my learners were refugees from various locations around the world. The gratitude and kindness that I experienced working with these learners is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
Not what it used to be
Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2019
Things have really gone downhill after this group of senior managers came in. Many have never even stepped into a classroom and it shows. Decisions are made purely based on self-interest and have little to do with employees or students. Think of the private colleges that are all for-profit and you can begin to see how Bow Valley is heading towards the same direction.
Skilled technology team, with tons of opportunity
Senior IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2019
The IT Team at BVC is currently in a state of maturity. Leadership is aware that there is room to grow to keep up with the expanding business and are making changes to accommodate the growing need for technology to drive, not just support, the business. Culture and Work/Life balance are recognizably strong. Keep an eye out for opportunities in IT...This is an exciting place to work!
Pros
Culture and Work/Life balance, opportunity to grow and learn in your profession
Great workplace with a friendly group in Information Technology Services
IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2019
Work was manageable but very stressful due to the department being short-staffed. Co-workers are all very experienced, friendly and willing to assist/teach others. I learned many things while working here, including SCCM and application deployment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly atmosphere and team building - we really were a team, everyone supported each other which made handling the work much, much easier. The hardest part of the job was the short-staff/budget cuts, so many of us were overloaded and overworked.
Pros
Great work environment, friendly co-workers.
Cons
Short-staffed constantly.
Horrible workplace
Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2019
worst place I have ever worked. The culture there promotes bullying and if you stand up for yourself you are blacklisted. There is no room for advancement.
Pros and Cons of Bow Valley College
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2019
The instructors are just okay, except for the department head.

The student body is extremely clique-ie.

Good cafeteria.

Good educational content - relatable to the field, and practical.

Excellent resources for students.
Pros
Good food, resources, and course content.
Cons
Poor teacher execution, unwelcoming student body.
Nice and Relax job
Student Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2019
I was interested to know about all the events to be able to help in and this job gives me the opportunity to communicate easily with students and always help them find something when needed.
Pros
Flexible Time
Collaborative Environment
ELL INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB2 January 2019
Great place to work. There is an environment of collaboration and team work. Generally, employees help each other out. There is a focus on employee well being, but workload in many departments is quite a lot. Faculty members are paid far less than other colleges in the area. Overall, a professional and rewarding place to work.
Fun
Community Helper Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 December 2018
They train so good, you good relate yourself with the training and tips given there. overall a great experience being part of it. learning things other than studies makes you feel more confident
Pros
food
Cons
nothing
Fun and friendly place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  calgary, Canada11 December 2018
Been here a few months now. Got a position with a local staffing agency for a few months and was kept on. Admin job pays well. Good central location with plenty of transport. Friendly and helpful staff. Easy to progress once inside. Only issue is the on site restaurants and cafe's are quite expensive and do not give good value for money. Bring your own lunch.
Pros
relaxed work pace, friendly staff, central
Cons
expensive food and drink.
Good people, little opportunity to get full time work
ESl instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2018
There are lots of areas that you can use your initiative to get a foot in the door, towards more or more permanent work. Be prepared for that to take a long time, for example 2 or more year.
Pros
Positive and friendly colleagues
Cons
Expected to do more than you are paid for
Bvc
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2018
Great work environment, friendly staff, enjoyed helping students achieve their academic goals. Great work life balance and autonomy with adequate supports.
productive
Learner Success Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2018
staff and faculty are nice and friendly. lovely environment to work in and students get all the support they need. the location is also very convenient
Pros
free training
Cons
non
Productive and good atmosphere with sufficient facilities
MCQ I and II facilitator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2018
*As a workplace I find it very nice and friendly atmosphere, both the coaches and office staff.
*Feeling that I am delivering/ transferring the information and experiences I have gained during my career time, gives me a great energy to update my information consistently.