Bow Valley College

Working at Bow Valley College: Employee Reviews

Canada99 reviews

valleycollegestudentprogramsupportivedepartmentfriendlyculture

Great Collaborative Environment

Great collaborative environment. Supportive management and good opportunity to build a program that is flexible and supported. Focus on customization of content to fit the context and needs.

Some days are great and others not so much.

I had only been there a few years and it’s gone downhill since. Everyone is nervous and you can feel the tension. Rumours are rampant and you can’t trust your supervisors to have your back. One instructor is gone that everyone liked and the students loved. It’s not the same as it was and very wushu washy. It’s a job.

Insights into Bow Valley College

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

It is okay

Ever since the management team got changed, the pace is picked up and people have no pay compensation due to salary freezing forever. Yes, you will get 4 weeks' vacation to start within IT, but you are not allowed to take a long vacation as too much work and everything is go go go. Staff turnaround is getting higher and feel like you always train new staff, crazy!

Pros

Stressful, low pay

Cons

Good vacation time and public sector pension

Good place but not much to grow professionally. Govt benefits and pay is good but work culture is not defined and properly managed. Overall a good comfortable place if you want to do same kind of job.

Nice environment. Amazing people.

Bow Valley College is a great place to work. Amazing people. Smart, inspired, accessible executive team. Interesting work. Thoughtful, valuable service to the city and province. Nice work environment. Perfect location.

Innovative environment

I love being able to set my daily schedule to accommodate my workload in a way that meshes with my personal commitments and household schedule; this is important as I am privileged to work fully remotely. On-campus or off-campus, the work culture is fast-paced, flexible, and highly collaborative. The hardest part of the job is the long hours and constant meetings during the busy part of the year. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with amazing students and coworkers, and being a part of evolving education.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Meetings, meetings, meetings

Great and rewarding place - little room for advancement for current employees

Love working here, very rewarding and the administration is supportive and encouraging. Internal processes could be more fair and transparent. They hire casual instructors then when courses to teach become available you sometimes do not get assigned a course due to recent education cutbacks yet they are still hiring casual instructors, that does not make sense when you do not have enough courses for your existing staff. The same thing for full time positions, they state preference is given to current employees but then will mostly hire external. It just seems like some current employees are often left with no choice but to leave if they are often overlooked or not offered opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Great pay, awesome students and rewarding work

Cons

Little room for advancement need more transparency with hiring

Great contract job

I worked here on contract. I really enjoyed the campus, it was beautiful and bright. The administration was helpful and accommodating. I would definitely work here full time given the opportunity.

Pros

Nice campus, good wages

Cons

Contract ended

I am very happy working with the college, I have very few complaints. I feel supported and encouraged, I have an excellent Manager and a supportive team My only negative is a lack of job security. We pay union dues and I feel the union is not able to provide anything for us.

Pros

Fantastic team and Management

Cons

No job security

A great place to work

I really enjoyed my time there. It's a great place to work with a caring culture, but they need to pay a similar scale to other post-secondaries in the province. That said, I would work there again in a second.

Pros

Caring culture, benefits, easy to get to as its right on the C-train line.

Cons

Low pay for similar jobs at other post-secondaries.

Terrrible org

Mgmt loves micro-managing. Do not work there. Stay away. You will regret it. Horrible for your resume. Students hate it. U will have nightmares. Work for McDonalds instead.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Lots of cons..dont work there..cancerous

Poorly managed and lack of organization.

The management team was all over the place. No one knew what was going on and a lot of the cricilum planning was left to the instructors. No organization with team and management. No communication between management and staff. Large workload and not enough time to spend with students. They need to hire new managers.

Pros

Goid work life balance

Cons

poor management

The Top Employer in Entry Level Career Placement for government contracts

I work in the Global Access program area that focuses on helping people enter and re-enter the labour market. Work is based on government contracts. BVC is the best employer in Calgary in this area of work. You work with progressive management and the top professionals in the field. This makes it difficult to get into the organization because of the competition over positions, but very worthwhile once you are successful. Academic qualifications, sector specific qualifications, foreign country experience, a second language and a recommendation from within the Global Access Department will help you to be successful in your application.

Pros

Progressive management, top professionals as collegues, excellent working conditions and culture.

Cons

Difficult to get a job with BVC if you don't have an inside referral.

I loved working for them and going to school for Bow Valley College

Amazing place to go to school, it was a delight to attend online classes and the teachers were amazin to deal with, they were very helpful. I loved it

Exciting, satisfying place to work.

Bow Valley College has proven to be the best workplace I've ever experienced. The people are just the best. The administration is competent and very understanding.

Pros

Wonderful people.

Cons

Parking is expensive.

Pretty good place for a career.

-Well staffed -Plenty of work -Generally positive atmosphere -Friendly coworkers/staff -Provided needed PPE/equipment for work -Help easily found when needed

Excellent experience

Open door policy Supportive management Professional development opportunities Inclusive work environment Flexible working hours and conditions Overall; great place

very nice.

My experience was very good. I recommend bow valley to everyone. Not only it is good for working. it is very good college for higher study. I like the structure of all diploma programs at Bow Valley

fun to work for

nice place to work for. lot of documents to upload and to change their names and put them in respective folders. fast paced, lot of things to learn. had fun

In my role at Bow Valley College I would provide relevant and timely information to perspective and current learners accurate implement implementation of regional registration process is: register students for programs, courses, and/or workshops at regional sites.

Excellent place to work

Bow valley college is an excellent employer. Lots of challenging work, and amazing people to collaborate and work with. They take care of their team to ensure that they have all the tools to succeed, and in doing so, put students in the best environment to be their best. Excellent, supportive, professional, and fun organization to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bow Valley College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement