Bow Valley College Employee Reviews

Bvc
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2018
Great work environment, friendly staff, enjoyed helping students achieve their academic goals. Great work life balance and autonomy with adequate supports.
Productive and good atmosphere with sufficient facilities
MCQ I and II facilitator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2018
*As a workplace I find it very nice and friendly atmosphere, both the coaches and office staff.
*Feeling that I am delivering/ transferring the information and experiences I have gained during my career time, gives me a great energy to update my information consistently.
Great work/life balance but management is uneasy and there is high turnover
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2018
Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Bow Valley College. My colleagues were talented and driven. There is a lot of office politics and bureaucracy which take away from the office culture. There is a lot of turnover in certain departments which leads to uneasiness.
Pros
Job stability, good benefits, great work/life balance
Cons
Office politics, high turnover
Nice and Relax job
Student Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2019
I was interested to know about all the events to be able to help in and this job gives me the opportunity to communicate easily with students and always help them find something when needed.
Pros
Flexible Time
Collaborative Environment
ELL INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB2 January 2019
Great place to work. There is an environment of collaboration and team work. Generally, employees help each other out. There is a focus on employee well being, but workload in many departments is quite a lot. Faculty members are paid far less than other colleges in the area. Overall, a professional and rewarding place to work.
Fun
Community Helper Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 December 2018
They train so good, you good relate yourself with the training and tips given there. overall a great experience being part of it. learning things other than studies makes you feel more confident
Pros
food
Cons
nothing
Good people, little opportunity to get full time work
ESl instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2018
There are lots of areas that you can use your initiative to get a foot in the door, towards more or more permanent work. Be prepared for that to take a long time, for example 2 or more year.
Pros
Positive and friendly colleagues
Cons
Expected to do more than you are paid for
productive
Learner Success Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2018
staff and faculty are nice and friendly. lovely environment to work in and students get all the support they need. the location is also very convenient
Pros
free training
Cons
non
Wonderful Experience
Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2018
Although only with Bow Valley College for a short period, the office culture was welcoming and willing to assist when able. I gain valuable work experience during my time.
Love the People
Automed, Cadet, Repeater Pump (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2018
Love the people that I studied together with. Great experience as a student, teachers are really great, knowledgeable and help you to succeed in your career.
Growing Fast
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2018
This place is growing fast and does experience more bureaucratic red tape than seems necessary but in general it is a very positive, diverse, friendly environment that promotes from within and rewards quality work and dedication.
Loyalty NOT rewaded
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
I was let go as an instructor at BVC after more than five years for no reason and no cause with only two days notice. Unprofessional management was the norm during my time in my department, as they didn't promote people to supervisory positions according to management skills.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits if you get full-time work
Cons
Limited chances for advancement, poor middle management, staff so big that you are a number.
Good culture, weak upper IT management
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2014
So was contracted at this organization for approximately 7 months under a contract to hire position under x salary range.

While the work was interesting and constructive, what was offered in the compensation package is not what was initially told to me.

I was disappointed by the promises that were made to me, but was never delivered.

I would recommend it only as a stepping in your career, great people, but bad management. Most people there were friendly and fun to work with. Management integrity was another story,
Pros
People, Culture
Cons
Upper IT management
Good
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2014
Good experience learning some great skills while teaching.
Pros
money, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
high turn over in staff and management
amazing staff and amazing students
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current) (Current Employee) –  Canmore, AB26 April 2018
This is my current job, and I love love love my job so much, the manager I work for is the best I ever had, my co workers are the best I ever worked with. I wouldn't have asked for a better job. This is the best job I ever had and I couldn't have been so blessed and lucky to work for Bow Valley College.
Pros
Beautiful view of the mountains
Cons
No cons
Productive Work environment
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2018
Aiding students in student in subjects they are struggling with such as Accounting and Business Communication.
Allowing students to understand the subjects they are weak in.
Great setting to teach and team work.
CPR instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2018
I come in about one saturday a month to teach a class of up to 24 with a partner teacher. We teach and test the class with great results, and then sanitize the equiptment. Pay is electronic and the team that I work with is amazing friendly and passionate.
Pros
I set the pace of my classroom
Cons
I don't get paid for set up and tear down time
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 December 2017
For the most part, nice people, always willing to help. Students come first all the time, which is great.
Working on-line with students can be a challenge at time however, very rewarding and you always feel you have support from management to try new things.
Management issues in certain departments that don't seem to be improving. Lack of accountability, pressure to perform without adequate support.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2017
Workplace culture is lacking. People in management and non-management roles use fear to get results. No accountability. People are working in silos in some departments. Not a good environment.
Pros
Ability to see efforts of helping students
Cons
everything else
Bvc
Admission Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2017
Excellent place to work on a smaller college. Job competition is tough but once you settle into a position you'll like it for sure. BVC is coming to a time where some do question job security but still its a great place to work.
Pros
location location downtown
Cons
still growing