Bouclair Employee Reviews

A lot of physical labour
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 March 2019
Perhaps with better management, the job would have been more enjoyable.

The hours were good compared to other retailers which is the main reason I stayed for as long as I did
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Terrible management
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2019
Benefits only for upper management. Bare minimum for massage and chiro considering how much heavy lifting is required. No training. No growth. No recognition. If you want to work extrememly hard and feel undervalued: where everything you do is never good enough. Go work at Bouclair, perfection is the unattainable standard.
Pros
DIscount.
Cons
no overtime or time off in lieu. No Growth. Poor working Culture
Great place to work so far!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 January 2019
I have only been with Bouclair for a short period of time, but so far I love it! The management, staff, procedures as well as the products! Love the style!
Company change
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2019
This company has changed since I worked there. They were a fabric store. Now they are a home decor store. I started in the drapery department as a casual employee, within 2 weeks I was full time head of the department.
Seasonal employment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC3 January 2019
I was employed for Christmas seasonal.
The manager that hired me was awesome but when she was transferred a new manager took over.
My services were no longer required since the Christmas season was ended.
Pros
Not employed long enough
Cons
Not enough hours
I wasn't suited to this venue
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 December 2018
Non commissioned high pressure sales, If I'd loved the styles maybe I would have enjoyed this job. Some of my coworkers were very happy. I simply couldn't get behind this business, so I found something more suited to me.
Pros
10 % discount on merch
Cons
Please change the music!
ups and downs
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 November 2018
I worked at Bouclair for 3 years and there were many ups and downs. Typically a day would be filled with merchandising, completing tasking, building furniture, signage, stocking shelves, unloading truck, cleaning, pretty much anything but customer focus.
A typical day is usually all or nothing - youre either doing a million things being pulled in a hundred directions, or standing around bored out of your mind.
While the company expected us to hit unattainable sales goals, they also expected us to complete mass amounts of tasking with no extra man power. In my experience, stores either kept on top of tasking with the sales lacking, or fell way behind on tasking (which didn't even always improve sales because of low traffic.)
I found my team to be extremely over-worked, being expected to complete more than possible in a shift, which created a high stress environment. we were also quite understaffed - but didnt have the bodies or hour distribution to satisfy.
While i did decide to ultimately leave Bouclair as a result of this as well as a new opportunity, it was a very hard decision to make as the team was very small and very close. The people that I worked with became like family to me in the time I was there.
I also did enjoy completing tasking, merchandising projects and what not - but the mentality of the company put so much weight on these tasks that it almost made you want to avoid customers to complete other things.
I found the communication from head office to be very one sided. While the company was small enough to hear back from head office within a few hours,
  more... they would often respond slowly to issues. It seemed as though many changes (new sales, projects, etc.) came to store level half-baked, which caused company wide confusion, added stress and pressure, and an IMMENSE amount of wasted time, when a project would inevitably have to be redone.
Overall though, the atmosphere that my team created made the job enjoyable for me, and if you are looking to get into some form of decorating or merchandising, this job is useful as when you are on such a small team, you need to become a jack of all trades. I found this job to bode well on a resume when I included all the tasks that I was trained to complete.

This job was also fantastic for working part-time. The manager was flexible with hours and understanding about a work/school/life relationship.
Pros
Amazing team, challenging, beautiful stores and atmosphere
Cons
unattainable expectations, high stress environment, unorganized and unhelpful head office
Don't put yourself though the agony
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2018
Store level staff were great, DSM and National Sales Director not so much. I would not recommend this position as a SM or ASM. Pay was midlevel and the bonus system is antiquated and impossible to reach as budgets are so outrageous and unattainable. The quality of the product is variable, but you get what you pay for.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Long hours for little recognition
Environnement agréable demandant mais très peu payé
Conseillère en décoration (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC14 November 2018
J'ai adoré cet emploi, mais avec le salaire merdique pour tout le travail qu'on donne et le service envers la cliente je trouve cela dommage qu'il ne prenne pas plus soin de leur employer. On m'offre la chance d'avoir un poste de 3e clé mais avec un salaire moindre que celui que j'ai présentement en tant qu'associé à la vente. Mon salaire est de 12,40$ cela fait 2 ans et demi que je travaille pour l'entreprise.
Pros
Super équipe
Cons
Salaire et conditions de travail
Direction nocive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 November 2018
Entreprise à la gestion des années 50. Aucune reconnaissance envers les employés d'entrepôt, pdg qui méprise ses employés.
Plusieurs cas notés d'abus psychologique de la part du directeur d'entrepôt, sans jamais aucune actions prises par l'agence de placement Thompson-Tremblay en aide aux victimes.
Accusations portées contre le pdg pour évasion fiscale, culture axée que sur les profits ne tenant pas compte du facteur humain.
La paye et avantages sociaux minimums permis par la loi.
Pros
Bon groupe d'employés
Cons
Dirigeants manquent d'humanité
A great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 October 2018
A fun place to work, cool music. Fun people. Flexible hours. Extra hours always available. It's fun helping customers pick out items for their home to create a cool vibe.
Pros
Usually some snack kicking around.
Cons
Not commision sales.
Bouclair great place!!!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  calgary22 September 2018
great place, great place to work , great benifets,great people to work with............................................................................Great work enviorment. Great possibility to advance. Great salary and benifets.
Great job culture,
Pros
great
Cons
great
HIGH Turnover, Good staff & managers are Under-appreciated
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2018
In my 2 years at Bouclair, I saw good managers get fed up with being over-worked and under-paid, promised benefits and bonuses without ever receiving them. You have to fight to get every little miniscule raise. Dedicated staff who turned a failing store into a positive were treated as expendable. Very high turn-over with part-time staff, who are never given enough hours and never given benefits.

This is a Canadian company, which is great... I wish I had better things to say about them. A lot of the furniture was embarrassing to try to sell because it was low-quality, falling apart, wobbly, missing parts, broken, etc.

I think the only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I know I was really good at my job, despite all the cons. I finally got sick of being treated as expendable, so I abruptly quit, like so many managers before me.
Pros
Some nice decorative stuff for your home, esp when on clearance
Cons
Low-quality furniture sold by under-appreciated staff
environnement de travail productif et agréable
Vendeuse/Conseillère (Current Employee) –  Mascouche, QC3 September 2018
Bouclair est un environnement de travail très sein et agréable. Le personnel de l'établissement sont des personnes avec qui nous aimons travailler.
Stressful environment, poor management choices
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 August 2018
Loved parts of the company and the products, was undervalued and over worked and taken advantage of by poor management. Schedule was constantly changed without notice, staff was always stressed, and minimal training was given even when asked for. Need to make better management decisions, maybe involve in some team bonding to make teams stronger and make for a better stronger customer service focussed environment.
Pros
Company is working on being better, great products, canadian
Cons
Bad management, stressful environment
Ups and Downs
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 August 2018
Bouclair was not a bad place to work for a while. The manager and district manager were overall good, and meant well. The staff at my store were great - as well as most of the customers. As a sales coordinator, you are basically assistant manager without the benefits of having that title. Unfortunately the assistant manager position at my store was removed in 2017, so myself and other the key holders helped make up the work done by that person. There are no benefits unless you are "full time" on paper - even though you may have worked an average of 35-40 hours per week over the last year, it doesn't count for some reason. Generally the tasks aren't terrible and there are some fun times to be had. If you enjoy selling, and merchandising, you might be a good fit for Bouclair. There has been a greater emphasis on making individual sales this year and hitting email acquisition targets. If you are not comfortable a) up selling merchandise and explaining promotions or b) asking every customer for their email address at the cash, and being judged by your results -- work elsewhere. Additionally, labour hours have been reduced so there is often not enough time to actually get the store looking as good as it's supposed to. There are more and more product quality issues appearing, which we need to address at store level. Another annoying thing is the lack of inventory control - the warehouse just sends us whatever they please, even if we have too much already. On the bright side, there have been some improvements made during my time there including an app which connects the  more... employees of Bouclair and an employee recognition program as a way to say think you to each other.

I would recommend Bouclair as a temporary job but don't try to make a career out of it.
Pros
Nice people, cute stuff, decent working hours, interesting music
Cons
Impossible sales targets, inadequate staffing, no room for advancement, too much useless inventory, annoying policies, antiquated point of sale
Horrible Managment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON8 August 2018
The store manager ended up leaving & left behind the assistant manager who didn’t know what she was doing at all, i would not be surprised if the store closes due to her being so incompetent. she would also sit in the back room ALL day, she would talk ill about all the other employees. I think shes almost 35 & she tries to dress like a 18 year old with a brutal fake tan. You’re the ASM dress like one. If they changed up the managment, the newmarket location would not be dropping girls like flies. Heavy lifting on your back. It does not matter how long you worked there for, could be 4 years, they will still treat you like garbage!
Pros
ONLY co-workers
Cons
VERY heavy lifting & the ASSISTANT manager
Garbage.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2018
Terrible upper management, treat staff like dogs, unattainable goals, extremely outdated systems, disorganized documents, Taking bereavement is frowned upon. Terrible staff discount. Customers usually get better deals.. they hide broken product and still push it out the door without telling customers.. stock is always off and have a very stupid process for Ecom orders takes forever and customers expect you to place order in store... missing. Barcodes can take up to two days to find a sky for a customer... providing horrific customer service... helping no parties envolved.
Pros
None.. leave before you get the job
Cons
Everything..
Créatif mais sous payé et trop de compétition inutile
Assistante-gérante (Former Employee) –  Jonquière, QC4 July 2018
Beaucoup de mise en marché. Les articles sont de gout et surtout j'adorais conseiller en décoration car cela s'alliait parfaitement avec ma créativité et la spychologie du client.
J'ai appris que j'étais très visionnaire et j'ai appris l'ensemble de la décoration.
Trop compétitif pour un salaire moindre. Pas assez payé.
Compétition et bitchage malsain
La créativité et le contact avec client et belles collections.
Fun workplace
Associée à la vente (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC14 June 2018
The staff was super nice and so were the bosses. Sometimes, there was not much to do so it was kind of boring. When there was a lot of things to do (or a lot of customers to serve), time was flying by and it was super fun!

Overall, super great experience with Bouclair. Would recommend it to anyone!
Pros
Very thoughtful bosses, amazing staff