Boston Pizza Employee Reviews

Found 1,520 reviews matching the search See all 1,626 reviews
No raises as promised , no reviews as promised. No benefits because no more than 30 to 35 hours a week.
front line cook, backline cook, prep cook (Former Employee) –  Westlock, AB12 December 2018
Great Staff, Supervisors were good, Owner/Manager, they pay minimum wage, 5 to 7 hours a day, and if you complete your assigned tasks or it was slow employees are sent home early, not kept for cleaning or other tasks as needed. All training not paid for , done only on your time. no incentive for good employees.
Pros
50% off meals while working, continuus training on line.
Cons
Pay for your own uniforms before you start the job, no raise or reviews as portrayed
Loved my coworkers, not my job
Chef (Former Employee) –  BC12 August 2018
The only plus while working here were my amazing coworkers. Other than that it was always understaffed, I once had to work 2 weeks straight with no days off while sick because I was one of only 3 chefs available. Management and waitstaff had no respect for the kitchen staff and we were micromanaged all the time. Most kitchen staff had to come to work sick because there was no one to come in and no sick days. The waitstaff was very rude to the kitchen and often verbally insulted us, and blamed any mistakes they made on the kitchen. Some employees who had been there for years were paid less than new employees and managers refused to talk about it, avoiding them entirely. Overall there was a lot of frustration felt by the kitchen and I eventually left, as did many of my other chefs.
Pros
Great co workers, pretty good pay for a chain restarant
Cons
Very few days off, no benefits or sick days, rude waitstaff, micro management, understaffed
Best 5 years of my life
Server/Bartender/Manager (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK14 June 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Boston Pizza. The food is great, the staff was amazing, and there is truly something satisfying and rewarding about creating a quality dining experience for the guests - for them to leave happy and always return.

I started out as a Host and was bumped up to a new position every three months in my first year and a half of employment. The advancement opportunities are just incredible. Before I knew it, I was a Front of House Manager with full benefits.

Before Boston Pizza, I was a VERY introverted person - the staff and the environment gave me a great deal of confidence and brought me out of my shell. It's too fast-paced and fun to just stick to yourself.

Long term restaurant work isn't for everyone, but I highly recommend at least trying it. And I would say Boston Pizza is the place to try it. I'm in a new city now, but would love the opportunity to work for the company again.
Pros
Fun, Good tips, Discounts
Cons
Shift work, Lots of repetition
good
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2018
fun place to work the people are awesome and it relatively easy, I learned to master mostly all the stations in about 6 months and from there on had a great time. the only downside is that where I worked it was tough to get a raise or advance but overall would highly recommend
Pros
fun, easy, good environment
Cons
tough to move up
Amazing place to start cooking career, super fun place to work.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC11 September 2018
great people to work with, super super busy but basic cooking skills required, very easy. learned to multi task a lot.
Usually really fun to work in the kitchen.
hardest part in my opinion would have to be balancing a low salary..
employees could definitely get paid a lot more
Pros
great staff disocunt, great people & fun environment
Cons
high stress, low salary
BEST place to work!
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2018
If you're looking for a place to work that values you as a human being and an employee look no further! Awesome management, great work/life balance, great co-workers! I've been a server for over 8 years and this is by far the best place I've ever worked!
Pros
salary, management, hours, work/life balance
Fun and Then Not So Fun
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2018
I absolutely loved my job at boston pizza. I loved my co workers, I loved my managers, I even loved the job itself. I had fun at work everyday and I would look forward to my shifts. I got as many hours as I wanted and it was a dream come true. This was my first job and it taught me so much while still ensuring I felt well supported and cared about by those around me. I loved it until they fired me for pretty much no reason!! I hate that I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth because they handled a conflict very poorly and it resulted in my termination where it really should not have. And several workers before me experienced the same thing. Wrongful termination. It's a shame because I really loved this job.
Pros
awesome work place, great people, good hours, best job ever
Cons
wrongful termination
Poor management and unprofessional behaviour
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2018
Management are very unorganized, do not provide proper training, most of the managers are also the lounge servers and all other servers seem quite miserable or unsatisfied with their job.
They had girls opening and staying past the time their evening girls would be cut. Rarely received 3 hours.

They had very high server turnover which was a bit of a red flag, I know understand. They will let you go over very petty and subjective things and even over gossip.
You are required to tip bar even on days where there is no bartender - obvious management is keeping it.
Pros
Food discount is okay
Cons
Poor management, bad work environment, poor quality of training and assistance, uncomforable and uninviting work envoronment.
Its good
Kitchen Manager/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2018
It was good to be part of Boston Pizza .Work life balance and salary also moderate ,management helps each other and workplace culture is fun and staff is really helpful .
Good First Job
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB15 October 2018
I started from the bottom of the kitchen as a skull person, dish boy, and over a few years it seems like I've reach the highest I was going to get. For someone who hasn't been in the job market and is looking for their first job I highly suggest working at Boston Pizza, but for those who are looking for somewhere to grow and move up in the world, you might have better luck at another job. I moved up pretty fast but got bored fast as its the same thing day in and out. As well being the person I was I spent more time than I should have at Boston Pizza helping out the management as its not that well put together. More time and more people are needed for it to move smooth but they are not wiling to improve the work place environment to do so. As well as owners/general managers bring their life in to the work place and follow workers online outside of work making it uncomfortable to work. Other wise easy work, that can be stressful at rush times.
Pros
easy cooking work, good first job pay
Cons
unpayed breaks, stressful environment
Boston pizza
- Great hours/flexible schedule
- Good benefits
- Fun work place
- amazing food
Pros
hours
Cons
You never know when you are scheduled to finish
Good place to work, great food and fun environment
Calgary - Support staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2018
Good atmosphere and fun people to work with. I highly recommend this place. Flexible hours and shifts. Discounted meals. Free soft drinks. Learned a good deal about customer service.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, good salary, flexible hours
Cons
None come to mind
Nice place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2018
Nice place to work. anyone would be lucky to work here. great staff members and owners. Would recommend anyone try working here. Great benefits and discounts.
Busy restaurant, two floors, very prone to rushes and then standstills.
Server/Hostess/LineCook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2018
Wish I had of had a chance to acquire more seating areas without having to break back in the upper floor deck where drinks were slower to arrive and people were more likley to leave your mind when it got really really busy. Not many tables to start prior to three month probationary period to be up to stay fair on the already established and long term servers. That being said, when one catches on quick and can handle more work to not be able to recieve that to advance and gain more respect and more tip out, that can become problematic when pushed to the point of a probationary period. I became restless quick.
Pros
Busy, large orders most of the time, fun atmosphere
Cons
Sports can sometimes attract ruthless people, expect some rudeness from the rowdier but overall it wasn't that bad.
Great environment, customers and co-workers. Management needs major improvement.
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 October 2018
I worked at Boston Pizza for almost 4 years doing a variety of things, I loved the customers and seeing regulars. I loved seeing other people happy! 80% of the people became great friends and still are. Unfortunately we were at a location where managers lacked productivity and the GM was extremely unprofessional while led to me leaving.
Pros
Delicious food for a great price, great friends.
Cons
Lack emphathy and professionalism in management.
First job
Pizza maker and dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 September 2018
The typical day was was dish. I learned that you need to be fast and efficient at some jobs to get the job done in the best. The management was very easy to get alone with because they would usually schedule the hours you ask for. The workplace culture was very nice because every one got alone which was nice to work in.
Pros
Free meals and discounts.
Cons
Addition hours that sometimes was the best for you.
Do not eat at the location in emerald park
Assistant Manager/Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Emerald Park, SK19 July 2018
The food is poorly managed. The food is always under cooked or the orders are wrong. The manager is a 30 year old that sleeps with the teenage staff. The rest of the management team was fired for stealing money from the server tips and also ordering drinks after hours which they never paid for. This place is by far, the biggest joke I've ever known.
Productive and fun workplace with fun coworkers
Kitchen Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 May 2018
A typical day (or evening) at work is slow, but with some business happening (especially during hockey games and whatnot).

I learned to be more sociable with my coworkers, to laugh more, to joke more, to be better at what I do (doing dishes), et cetera.

The management/managers are good people. They listen to us employees when need be and try to make the workplace fun.

The workplace culture is okay, for the most part. It could be better.

The hardest part of the job is the work at times and how much work I have to do to try and keep up.

The most enjoyable part of the job is my coworkers as they try and interact with me to make the evening go by faster while I work.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Short hours
Great Atmosphere and Amazing Staff
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 November 2018
I learned that being able to mange your time and being an attentive and listener is important in this work place. I always was happy and positive in this workplace culture. When times gets busy and stressful during the weekends it gets quite difficult, but being able to mange your duties, responsibilities and keeping our customers satisfied is our priority. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and the great support system of staff who always have your back when you need them.
Busy Location. Always something to do
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2017
Typical day at work is a mix of talking to guests and working on back office material. I learned a lot about the P&L for a restaurant that revenues a lot of money per year. The management team here is alright with some decent compatibility. The culture in this restaurant needs some work. There is too much staff turnover. The hardest part of the job is the long hours with not enough compensation. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with people all day and teach staff how to improve their work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Pizza. Our community is ready to answer.