Bosley's Pet Food Plus Employee Reviews

Good coworkers Bad management
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC10 April 2019
Management is bad at communicating and is moody. Doesn't care about employees and their mental health. Punishes instead of corrects. High expectations of new workers. Limited training.
Pros
Shop at cost
Cons
Poor Management
Low Pay, High Expectations
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 December 2018
Don’t except to “climb the ladder” here.. there is very little advancement.. management will hire new people rather than promote within.

Bullying constantly, no help from management.. or head office.

Used to be a fun place to work.. now it’s a head ache.
Low pay.. but yet expect you to bend over backwards for benefit of the company.

Great pet training on simple pets (cats, dogs betta fish)
Always out of stock of something in the store..

Pressured to sell “Pet Valu” Brands.. ie) jump, Bailey & Bella, Performatrin Excellence & Ultra, Essentials..

Repairs needing to fixed around the store take forever to be addressed..

Managers need to be watched by district managers...
District managers ask your experienced.. full time staff what they think of their managers - make it anonymous as then we can put what we actually think without getting reprimanded.
Pros
Seeing customers pets
New owner not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sooke, BC1 December 2018
Worked for this company for a year ive had a good time learning and benefitting from working at the colwood and the portion of the sooke. Until recently finding out being let go from a co worker is very unprofessional on the the new owners side of things. So managment needs improvement quite a bit at the sooke store as of recent.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Magament
Don't reccumened
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC15 May 2018
Was very excited to work here then I had a manager who had no formal training, what so ever, and treated staff poorly, super greedy company in my opinion always want you to have high sales even tho the associate gets nothing for that but a. Slap on the wrist if you don't make your goal thought that it would be different really disappointed working in this environment prices are way too expensive for basic needs.
Pros
Dog visits knowledge of animal needs and habits
Cons
To low of pay for work put into it, minimum training
Great Job, Great Location, Great Team
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 April 2018
Fun work environment with helpful and caring staff. Great training and excellent experience in the pet industry. Worked at Denman and Yaletown location and it was the staff that made the jobs so enjoyable.
It's good if you like pets
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2018
Work with people helping to provide best food and items for health of pets. Lots of tasking just like any retail. Good DM and good store Manager. New stores are really nice while older stores quite shabby. Systems could be updated, takes too long to place orders, inventories every week, etc. My store has uwash and it's annoying listening to dogs barking and whining through day people want grooming for 10 bucks. You have to lift dog food bags and constantly stock store so no gaps. Lots of learning to do but really helpful to add to your personal knowledge.
Pros
Nice staff and management. Nice dogs and chances to raise money to help animals in need.
Cons
Staffing is kept at minimum so hard to get hours. Pay is not great. Dog baths suck.
Great Job, Not so Great management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 December 2017
I loved the job so much! You gain awesome knowledge and I would be happy to go back to help with events or when they need and extra hand! You get to work a lot with rescue organizations and be apart of the community! Helping new pet owners or even not so new owners! its really fulfilling helping families with their furbabies and even watching them grow up from puppies/kittens into cats/dogs!
Pros
Friendships, Pet Knowledge, Decent Hours, Safe Environment, puppies
Cons
poor management, puppy accidents, heavy lifting, dog bites
Poor management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 November 2017
Poor management, don’t know their own policies, no hours, over staffed but no one to ever cover sick days. Low pay, high expectations from staff, no benefits aside from discounts on certain items. 10%-30% depending on brands.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything.
Terrible management, terrible pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC25 July 2017
if you enjoy being belittled and talked about behind your back then by all means take the job! No benefits and minimum wage are just a few of the great things about this job. But also if you enjoy spending hours lifting heavy bags while your manager sits on her butt in the back room over ordering stock that you get to push on your customers so you don't get into trouble for the amount of merchandise that is left when she orders the same amount week after week
Pros
Play with dogs
Cons
Terrible management, terrible upper management, terrible hours, terrible pay, terrible customers
great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC11 April 2017
awesome company to work for family like environment, great team working there, great staff with new information to learn everyday. bright and cheery customers. all around a great place to work
Pros
free luch once a week
Cons
hard to get breaks
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC8 April 2017
For all the work you do you get paid very little. Lots of lifting and standing on feet. High expectations and as said low pay . For students maybe it's good but the hours are not consistent and management's isn't good.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Low pay, heavy lifting, bad management
Fun job, terrible pay.
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2017
This is a retail job plus dogs. There's a lot of stocking, helping customers find things, and cashier duties. You get to talk to some cool people and meet some cute dogs, but there is still work to be done. Extensive product knowledge is mandatory to do well at the job, and there's a steep learning curve. People trust your advice and put their pets' health in your hands.

If you're in a store with good management, it's a pretty good work environment, but middle management for the company is fairly clueless and often unhelpful.

The pay is awful. Starts at minimum and doesn't really increase. Staff discount isn't great.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Pay
productive
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 February 2017
it was a very fun relaxed place to work, everyone was friendly, i had lost of help, manager was very helpful and kind typical day was nice and got the job done i learned how to price and date code things where all the food went how to stock fast the hardest part was lifting the bags were heavy
Pros
i got work experience
Cons
long days
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delt27 November 2016
Management is a joke and they do not care for their employees.

We'd deal with harsh chemicals on a regular basis with no protection for our hands and we are cleaning up after animal excretions constantly.

Went through 7 managers before I had enough.

Don't ever expect a raise they won't give you one. The only time I saw anybody get a raise or get offered one was when one employee bribed the manager; the other time was when the employee was quitting.
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC13 October 2016
Great business to work for I loved it. The training was great, my manager was amazing, the coworkers I had were fantastic just an overall great job.
good place
Stocking inventory, cashier, and customer service (Former Employee) –  Burquitlam, BC21 September 2016
worked there for a few months and it was good in between job, you got to learn about different pets foods, and got to see customers bring in pets
Pros
good inbetween job
Cons
very slow location
Work here if you want to work your butt off and get paid poorly
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC26 July 2016
This company does not care about their employees. They over work them and pay them minimum wage. Raises are very rare. Upper management is a joke. The DM is completely useless, and gets other managers to do her job. She hires her own friends, likes to gossip about other managers and employees and then lies about it. When new employees are hired, they get paid more than employees who have been there for years, and their wages don't get adjusted either .This company has a high turn over rate, and it's very obvious why.
Pros
Get to work with animal rescues
Cons
poor wage, useless upper management, greedy company
Fun 1st job as a young 13 year old.
Delivery person, flyers door to door (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 September 2015
Just a summer job delivering flyers door to door. Great owners, very generous people. They would pick me up and drop me off at my house and rewarded me generously for my efforts.
Pros
Owners picked up and dropped me off at home.
Cons
Short employment for the summer.
Horrible, horrible, horrible!!!!
Pet Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Delta, BC26 April 2015
This was quite possibly the worst place I have worked. When I started working for this company I was told that I would not receive any benefits, even though I worked over 30 hours a week, they took away the staff discount which used to be get product for cost and told that it is now 20% off, not to mention the fact that I worked here for nearly 2 years without a raise as there was a wage freeze, or so we were told. The District Manager was a cocky bully who got off on belittling and intimidation. Horrible place to work!
Pros
coworkers, animals
Cons
everything else
Great job with Great Customers
Sales (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 April 2015
I loved this job, Very Great staff very great Customers. Always a good day at Bosleys.

My only issue with this job was the fact i did so much work. Everyday i worked with the manager she would go do the Bank Deposit and then leave shortly after. Leaving me alone at work for 6 hours with no one to cover my shift and all of the stock and Extra work to do.
I felt i wasnt getting enough credit for all my hard efforts at this store and this is why i left. I wanted to move up in the company and felt i deserved it after all the Hard work i had put in but Nothing more came from that job but Constantly working my shifts alone not being able to take a break. I felt i was being taken advantage of and so i looked for a new job else where
Pros
Lovely co workers and customers. Pets all day everyday
Cons
Manger always leaving me alone to work my shifts alone.