Bosley's Pet Food Plus

Bosley's Pet Food Plus Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
Loved working with the animals & customers. Management made it a terrible experience. Constantly judging staff, owners would only listen to the Gen Manager who would throw other employees under the bus constantly to prevent them from doing well. Constantly made promises that were never kept. Say they will offer benefits but never will. Owners displayed petty behaviour towards staff on a regular basis and played favourites often. Owners also made several staff members cry on a fairly frequent basis.
I worked at Bosleys only for a little while I was seasonal but I unfortunately had to quit early cause of other reasons the management was super chill so friendly you get to see so many cute dogs and they have a great customer rewards program they are very understanding and they make sure your schedule suits you and works around whatever you have going on they provide a lot of team work and they also make you feel like family
Pros
Great staff, good discounts, cute dogs
Cons
If you have really bad allergies this may not be the best job for you
I will NEVER need a job bad enough to work here. Management at all levels are complete morons. I will never shop here and will make it known THAT this is company the needs only to go bankrupt!!!!!!!
It was good but I felt like I was never really instructed on what I was supposed to do on a day to day basis but the information learned was very valuable and the pet care course was very informative, if quite boring.
I enjoyed the job, great people. You will learn a lot about animal nutrition, on a variety of animals in all categories. As well as taking care of animals and fish.
It was great when I first started, but now since I'm in school management is not flexible at all with shifts I get doubled scheduled when I'm supposed to be in school. I was hired for part-time but I work about 32 hours a week, management hires pretty much just friends and people they know, it causes a lot of drama, co-workers are lazy and half the time rely on you to do both your jobs. do not get the recognition you deserve, pushed to seel Bosley brands, if you don't meet targets then you are watched by management and pushed to do so, you do not make enough money for the job you have to do, staffing is kept super low so if anyone calls in sick you probably will be alone working, management talks bad about other workers and overscheduled you. I complained about my hours and was told that it's fine and that I wasn't working that much over any holidays unless you are management you will be working them, you have to close and then open the next day because technically there are 10 hours between the shifts but that doesn't include travel time or anything. But the discount is nice and you do get to see dogs all day.
Previous manager wasn't capable of doing his job and unfortunately even caused commotions in the work place such as insulting and disrespecting me. The new manager just commited wrongful dismissal because the workplace did not want me there anymore. So instead of telling me they started giving me 3 shifts this month. Going to report to BC WorkSafe soon.
When I worked there I was told I was being hired for an asst. Manager position and left my old job for it. I worked hard but the politics and gossip of management was appalling and they ended up deciding there wasn't going to be an asst. Manager anymore. They constantly changed my shifts without permission and treated me like a whipping boy slave. Said several sexist comments like "We dont hire men" and several more about the ladies who I worked with. This is typical of management who comes from money and has never had to really struggle a day in their lives. So my recommendation is dont work here unless you dont need to.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Management is bad at communicating and is moody. Doesn't care about employees and their mental health. Punishes instead of corrects. High expectations of new workers. Limited training.
Pros
Shop at cost
Cons
Poor Management
At a store level it was an awesome job, Higher management was not good, hard to deal with, they love butt kissing and brown noising if you are willing to do that then you can go far in the company. They are unhanded and shady, your job is not always safe. And if you are under the age of 18 GOOOD LUCK getting hired, we were not allowed to hire anyone in hight school. Great job if you love animals and are not management.
Pros
Free pet food
Cons
Wage
Don’t except to “climb the ladder” here.. there is very little advancement.. management will hire new people rather than promote within.

Bullying constantly, no help from management.. or head office.

Used to be a fun place to work.. now it’s a head ache.

Low pay.. but yet expect you to bend over backwards for benefit of the company.

Great pet training on simple pets (cats, dogs betta fish)

Always out of stock of something in the store..

Pressured to sell “Pet Valu” Brands.. ie) jump, Bailey & Bella, Performatrin Excellence & Ultra, Essentials..

Repairs needing to fixed around the store take forever to be addressed..

Managers need to be watched by district managers...

District managers ask your experienced.. full time staff what they think of their managers - make it anonymous as then we can put what we actually think without getting reprimanded.
Pros
Seeing customers pets
Cons
Worked for this company for a year ive had a good time learning and benefitting from working at the colwood and the portion of the sooke. Until recently finding out being let go from a co worker is very unprofessional on the the new owners side of things. So managment needs improvement quite a bit at the sooke store as of recent.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Magament
Was very excited to work here then I had a manager who had no formal training, what so ever, and treated staff poorly, super greedy company in my opinion always want you to have high sales even tho the associate gets nothing for that but a. Slap on the wrist if you don't make your goal thought that it would be different really disappointed working in this environment prices are way too expensive for basic needs.
Pros
Dog visits knowledge of animal needs and habits
Cons
To low of pay for work put into it, minimum training
Fun work environment with helpful and caring staff. Great training and excellent experience in the pet industry. Worked at Denman and Yaletown location and it was the staff that made the jobs so enjoyable.
Work with people helping to provide best food and items for health of pets. Lots of tasking just like any retail. Good DM and good store Manager. New stores are really nice while older stores quite shabby. Systems could be updated, takes too long to place orders, inventories every week, etc. My store has uwash and it's annoying listening to dogs barking and whining through day people want grooming for 10 bucks. You have to lift dog food bags and constantly stock store so no gaps. Lots of learning to do but really helpful to add to your personal knowledge.
Pros
Nice staff and management. Nice dogs and chances to raise money to help animals in need.
Cons
Staffing is kept at minimum so hard to get hours. Pay is not great. Dog baths suck.
I loved the job so much! You gain awesome knowledge and I would be happy to go back to help with events or when they need and extra hand! You get to work a lot with rescue organizations and be apart of the community! Helping new pet owners or even not so new owners! its really fulfilling helping families with their furbabies and even watching them grow up from puppies/kittens into cats/dogs!
Pros
Friendships, Pet Knowledge, Decent Hours, Safe Environment, puppies
Cons
poor management, puppy accidents, heavy lifting, dog bites
Poor management, don’t know their own policies, no hours, over staffed but no one to ever cover sick days. Low pay, high expectations from staff, no benefits aside from discounts on certain items. 10%-30% depending on brands.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything.
awesome company to work for family like environment, great team working there, great staff with new information to learn everyday. bright and cheery customers. all around a great place to work
Pros
free luch once a week
Cons
hard to get breaks
For all the work you do you get paid very little. Lots of lifting and standing on feet. High expectations and as said low pay . For students maybe it's good but the hours are not consistent and management's isn't good.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Low pay, heavy lifting, bad management
This is a retail job plus dogs. There's a lot of stocking, helping customers find things, and cashier duties. You get to talk to some cool people and meet some cute dogs, but there is still work to be done. Extensive product knowledge is mandatory to do well at the job, and there's a steep learning curve. People trust your advice and put their pets' health in your hands.

If you're in a store with good management, it's a pretty good work environment, but middle management for the company is fairly clueless and often unhelpful.

The pay is awful. Starts at minimum and doesn't really increase. Staff discount isn't great.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Pay
it was a very fun relaxed place to work, everyone was friendly, i had lost of help, manager was very helpful and kind typical day was nice and got the job done i learned how to price and date code things where all the food went how to stock fast the hardest part was lifting the bags were heavy
Pros
i got work experience
Cons
long days