Bosley's By Pet Valu

Bosley's By Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
I'll start with the pros: My co-workers were amazing, supportive, and always made me feel safe and welcome. They answered all questions and really care about animals. Also, the dogs that come in are adorable and you get to feed them treats!

Cons: The manager made the job very stressful. The cameras in the store are supposedly there to prevent crime, but they're mostly used to make sure employees are busy at all times. A co-worker of mine found out she was fired when she noticed her name was not on the upcoming schedule. Everyone assumed it was just a mistake because she was a good employee and it made us feel like it could happen to anybody at anytime. I realize how dramatic this sounds, but I just want to emphasize the uncertainty of where you stand as an employee.
Pros
1 hour lunch, meeting cute dogs, great co-workers, nice customers
Cons
stressful management, uncertainty, six month probationary period, weekend work
straight forward pet food retail store
nice open concept

usually well stocked with a reasonable variety for mostly dog and cat

very pet friendly

community supporter
I learned a lot and had a ton of fun at Bosley's, and I wouldn't trade my experience here for the world. On the other hand, I would never take a job with this company again.
Overall, the day to day of the job is amazing. You have the opportunity to join Pet Parents families, and watch as the squirmy puppy you sized for it's first harness grows into a well trained dog.

Bosley's likes to boast that they promote from within the company, and support opportunities to further yourself with the company. This may be the case with some districts, but not all district managers believe in this. The fact that you aren't appreciated as a valued staff member is made blatantly clear by the lack of fair wage and the ever increasing pile of work that is expected of you. It's sad that such a "family oriented" company can't pay a living wage to it's employees.
It helps to have a bit of knowledge about animals and pet food/care. Biggest plus of working here was getting to meet all types of animals everyday that customers brought in.
My experience with this organization is that they genuinely care about all pets and want to see people look after their pets to the best of their ability.
Where do I begin. First the company will paint a beautiful picture of how amazing they are, how well they pay, how there's perfect work/life balance everything they can to reel you in hook,line and sinker. Then within 5mins the honeymoon is over. Upper management is horrible and needs to be updated and actually knowledgeable in their roles and responsibilities to support store managers. Human Resources is even more of a joke and is friends with district managers so the likelihood of you ever getting support to help you troubleshoot under performing and insubordinate staff will never ever happen. In fact when hr and the DM are informed about employee theft going on daily they will just turn a blind eye to it and turn around and blame the store managers for not doing their jobs properly or correctly. Minimum wage staff know they will never be fired or written up for being insubordinate or disrespecting customers and are so clueless when it comes to experience or customer service of any kind that you should think twice before even stepping foot in the door or applying. You will never be supported in your role, you will not have constructive communication with anyone else at store level management especially since all the store managers at 20somethings going on 10yrs old. You will never advance in your career or move up in the company either. You will be promised incentives or "bonuses" but since pet valu only employees under achieving minimum wage children you will never see any kind of incentive. You basically will do the job of 6 people with no help at all. My advice don't work - more...
Pros
Free trip to Ottawa if you're manager in a corporate store
Cons
To long to list. Look above.
management was terrible my manager hated me so much and tried her hardest to make me feel small and talked bad about me behind my back. do not recommend. almost impossible to move up from third key
Pros
seeing dogs
Cons
everything else
fun to play with dogs but the company culture from up top is pretty bad and doesn't pay much respect to those working below. minimum wage with little to no chance of getting raises or promotions even if you are fully committed to the company. not enough hours provided to stores, so get used to closing alone or working alone most of the time.
Pros
get to play with dogs; good helpdesk support
Cons
bad corporate/management politics, dog wash is too much work for the money paid, low wages
Treat their employees terrible. You are expected to work like you make 20/hour while only being paid minimum wage. Your knowledge must also be 20/hour. They will also force you to promote a food choice, even though it is worse than the competitor for a better profit margin.
Pros
Food discounts
Cons
slavery
The overall clientele were good honest people and I enjoyed working with them. The management however was uneducated at best, negligent at worst. Shifts and overall hours were changed without notice often hours before id leave for a shift. I had to inform the management that if they did no pay me for out of work trainig I would be forced to inform head office. They claimed to have no idea that was a law. They offered me an asst management position and unbeknownst to me they had done this to every new hire and then if the owner didnt like you on a personal level it would be taken away. Making many of the staff disgruntled. It became apparent to me that he owner did not understand the financial needs of her employees and so I found other work.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
As a customer service associate the day mainly consists of getting to know your customer and their pet as well as possible. Even on slower days there's always something to be doing, such as cleaning, putting out new product, or restocking the store. The best part by far is getting to play with all of the pets that come in, and getting to know the regular pet parents. Having customers who stop in just to see me specifically and update me on their pets is so heartwarming.
The management can be a bit of an issue, as I've seen in multiple stores. The head managers tend to delegate tasks to the lower staff, and leave early themselves, despite taking credit for the work their employees do. They do not lead by example, and do very little of the tasks themselves. That said, a lot of the lower down staff is very dedicated and willing to pick up the slack. Unfortunately it feels no matter how hard you work, there isn't much room for advancement at all. After being with the same store for almost a year I have received no pay raise. I've seen my assistant manager and full-time coworker passed up for higher positions, and instead they brought in employees from other stores to take their place, making it feel like there isn't much of a point in putting in effort.
Pros
Playing with animals!
Cons
Not much room for advancement, lots of heavy lifting
Individual managers are wonderful people, so I would imagine working in a franchise of this company would be far better than in a corporate store, which is what I have experienced.

The company's attitude regarding customer service ("the customer is ALWAYS right") is aggravating and often disrespectful to the employees, who sometimes have to deal with obnoxious customers who are trying to get as much out of the store as they can. In addition, there is a HUGE emphasis on making end-of-day, week, month, and yearly sales targets, which for some people could be motivating and helpful, but it made me feel pressured, and I often wondered if my coworkers recommended products to customers because they worked, or if it was just to increase their sale. I personally would be more interested in helping the huge corporation increase their sales if there was incentive, i.e. commissions or raises, but there isn't. Three times since I started I was promised a raise, but the only time my wage actually increased is when the minimum amount was raised province-wide, and several of my coworkers have informed me that if they were already getting paid more than the new minimum, their wage was not increased at all. As for employee discounts, they are the same deals often given to customers in the bi-weekly flyers. Shouldn't employees be given better deals than customers?

The upside to the job? The puppies! Most pet owners who bring their pet into the store love having people dote on their precious "baby", so it's really easy to get lost in a conversation about the behaviours of dogs, cats, and
 - more...
Pros
Cute animals
Cons
Unpaid breaks
While working with wonderful people softened the hardship of working for minimum wage. I can honestly say that I will never work for Bosley's again. The corporation doesn't care much for its employees
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Minimum wage
Days can be slow with quick spurts of busy periods, which are enjoyable as people are generally very happy coming in the front door. The management is excellent, very helpful and understanding regarding school and instances where I cannot make it in. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping people with pets find the correct products to ensure the pets will be happy and healthy throughout their life.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
minimum wage
Store managers have little real power. They can't give raises or fire staff; they need the okay from their district managers. District managers usually can't be bothered to advocate for staff, they only care about sales.

The "competitive wages" are minimum wage. Even managers don't make very good money.

Company policies are flexible enough that customers know if they yell enough they'll get what they want.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Terrible pay
Great place to work, friendly co workers and great boss. Loved working with the customers and pets! Nice, clean, friendly atmosphere. My boss was wonderful and helpful. Bosley's is a great place to work!
Typical day is greeting customers when they walk in and answering any questions, cleaning the dog wash after each use, facing the store which is making the product on the shelves look nice.
Hardest part of the job would probably be truck day when we get our shipment- lifting heavy bags of dog food and cat littler can be tiring.

Management could use a little work

Favourite part of the job is most definitely meeting the dogs that come into the store and caring for the cats we have in store