Bosley's By Pet Valu Employee Reviews

management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2019
management was terrible my manager hated me so much and tried her hardest to make me feel small and talked bad about me behind my back. do not recommend. almost impossible to move up from third key
Pros
seeing dogs
Cons
everything else
Paid a Little to Know Alot
Sales (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 September 2018
Treat their employees terrible. You are expected to work like you make 20/hour while only being paid minimum wage. Your knowledge must also be 20/hour. They will also force you to promote a food choice, even though it is worse than the competitor for a better profit margin.
Pros
Food discounts
Cons
slavery
Money running the money.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 August 2018
The overall clientele were good honest people and I enjoyed working with them. The management however was uneducated at best, negligent at worst. Shifts and overall hours were changed without notice often hours before id leave for a shift. I had to inform the management that if they did no pay me for out of work trainig I would be forced to inform head office. They claimed to have no idea that was a law. They offered me an asst management position and unbeknownst to me they had done this to every new hire and then if the owner didnt like you on a personal level it would be taken away. Making many of the staff disgruntled. It became apparent to me that he owner did not understand the financial needs of her employees and so I found other work.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Fun and exciting, but not much opportunity to move up
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC21 August 2018
As a customer service associate the day mainly consists of getting to know your customer and their pet as well as possible. Even on slower days there's always something to be doing, such as cleaning, putting out new product, or restocking the store. The best part by far is getting to play with all of the pets that come in, and getting to know the regular pet parents. Having customers who stop in just to see me specifically and update me on their pets is so heartwarming.
The management can be a bit of an issue, as I've seen in multiple stores. The head managers tend to delegate tasks to the lower staff, and leave early themselves, despite taking credit for the work their employees do. They do not lead by example, and do very little of the tasks themselves. That said, a lot of the lower down staff is very dedicated and willing to pick up the slack. Unfortunately it feels no matter how hard you work, there isn't much room for advancement at all. After being with the same store for almost a year I have received no pay raise. I've seen my assistant manager and full-time coworker passed up for higher positions, and instead they brought in employees from other stores to take their place, making it feel like there isn't much of a point in putting in effort.
Pros
Playing with animals!
Cons
Not much room for advancement, lots of heavy lifting
Fun workplace, typical corporate company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 August 2018
Individual managers are wonderful people, so I would imagine working in a franchise of this company would be far better than in a corporate store, which is what I have experienced.

The company's attitude regarding customer service ("the customer is ALWAYS right") is aggravating and often disrespectful to the employees, who sometimes have to deal with obnoxious customers who are trying to get as much out of the store as they can. In addition, there is a HUGE emphasis on making end-of-day, week, month, and yearly sales targets, which for some people could be motivating and helpful, but it made me feel pressured, and I often wondered if my coworkers recommended products to customers because they worked, or if it was just to increase their sale. I personally would be more interested in helping the huge corporation increase their sales if there was incentive, i.e. commissions or raises, but there isn't. Three times since I started I was promised a raise, but the only time my wage actually increased is when the minimum amount was raised province-wide, and several of my coworkers have informed me that if they were already getting paid more than the new minimum, their wage was not increased at all. As for employee discounts, they are the same deals often given to customers in the bi-weekly flyers. Shouldn't employees be given better deals than customers?

The upside to the job? The puppies! Most pet owners who bring their pet into the store love having people dote on their precious "baby", so it's really easy to get lost in a conversation about the behaviours of dogs, cats, and
  more... other animals. And you do go through extensive training to learn about the brands and products in the store, which makes giving recommendations a breeze. Trying out products on your own pets is encouraged, as people love to hear feedback straight from the source(s).

All-in-all, it's not a bad place to work, but the fun starts to drain the more hours you work. I had a great time while I was working part-time, but as soon as I took on more hours it became less exciting and more draining.
Pros
Cute animals
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Hard work for minimum wage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 January 2018
While working with wonderful people softened the hardship of working for minimum wage. I can honestly say that I will never work for Bosley's again. The corporation doesn't care much for its employees
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun Work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 March 2017
Days can be slow with quick spurts of busy periods, which are enjoyable as people are generally very happy coming in the front door. The management is excellent, very helpful and understanding regarding school and instances where I cannot make it in. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping people with pets find the correct products to ensure the pets will be happy and healthy throughout their life.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
minimum wage
Terrible pay, too much middle management interfering in everything.
Pet Expert (Current Employee) –  BC12 January 2017
Store managers have little real power. They can't give raises or fire staff; they need the okay from their district managers. District managers usually can't be bothered to advocate for staff, they only care about sales.

The "competitive wages" are minimum wage. Even managers don't make very good money.

Company policies are flexible enough that customers know if they yell enough they'll get what they want.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Terrible pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC20 November 2016
Great place to work, friendly co workers and great boss. Loved working with the customers and pets! Nice, clean, friendly atmosphere. My boss was wonderful and helpful. Bosley's is a great place to work!
Great place to work but hard working is a must
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC5 November 2015
Typical day is greeting customers when they walk in and answering any questions, cleaning the dog wash after each use, facing the store which is making the product on the shelves look nice.
Hardest part of the job would probably be truck day when we get our shipment- lifting heavy bags of dog food and cat littler can be tiring.
Management could use a little work
Favourite part of the job is most definitely meeting the dogs that come into the store and caring for the cats we have in store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bosley's By Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6