Bose Employee Reviews

Mainly Positive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2018
Enjoyed my time with Bose. Still work for them as a Freelance Television Presenter on The Shopping Channel in Canada. They have quality products. Great!
most enjoyable working experience
Senior Demonstrator Specialist (Former Employee) –  Delhi6 September 2017
My experience at Bose corp. was so full of fun and learning. i have attended the most amount of product training in my entire retail experience in BOSE, but loved every second there. management is very young and energetic . hardest part was to go back home from work.
Pros
very understanding management .
Cons
slow growth process
Fantastic company, fantastic products, terrible direction and management lacking.
Customer Service and Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Chatham4 July 2017
Excellent work life balance and a real sense of comraderie amongst staff members. Some out dated processes and overly convoluted methods creating an environment where sometimes things are done 'just because' as opposed to it being in the best interest of the customer or business.
Pros
Good hours, moderate salary, great culture
Cons
Management, no progression and staff hired to be expendable.
Innovative company with great ideals.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin8 May 2017
Bose was a great place to work as they had a strong belief in excellent customer service and innovative products. My day to day tasks varied but we had a strong emphasis on hitting our KPI's and delivering the best customer service possible.
In the six years that I worked for Bose, I learned more about building relationships with your customers and how it's important to do this to get repeat custom.
Management in Bose were very approachable at all levels and everyone regardless of role had a chance to voice their concerns in monthly town hall meetings.
The hardest part of my job was when we had to downsize our staff due to economic factors outside of our control, it's always difficult to let staff go when it is not performance related.
The most enjoyable part of my job is always people development. We had a low turnover of staff which gives me a lot of time to develop them and encourage them to develop themselves in the workplace. When I left, both the manager and assistant manager positions were filled by staff members that I had hired in lower positions in the company previously.
Pros
Great incentives for staff
Cons
Lack of room for job growth in Ireland at the time.
Fun and Amazing company
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 March 2017
I've worked for them for over a year and had to relocate to Canada. The company is one of the best I've ever worked for, always supportive and the training they provide is amazing. I've learned a lot.
it was a great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 January 2017
it was an amazing experience, working at bose gave me a chance to show my sales skills. it was a fun and great work environment. i really honed my sales skills there and excelled
Pros
great company and work
Cons
loss of sales due to no stock
great for long term admin employment, terrible retail environment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto30 August 2016
Very unprofessional work environment, this means sexism and mild racism are seen as OK in the workplace. Bose promotes long term employment and compensates their employees well, these are good reasons to stay.
Cons
long demanding hours
Great place to work, was better years ago!
Lead Technician/ Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 July 2016
Good company, great values that I would stand by everyday. The company is going through restructuring to stay competitive in todays market.
Pros
free products, good benifits
Cons
Declining morale do to company restructuring
Great Place to work
Assistance Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 July 2016
Great support from higher Managers
Great location to work busy with traffic
Highest volume store in the company
Great employee benefits
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Old System
fun place
Part time receiver and shipper of repaired units (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON2 November 2015
place where everyone is treated like a family. good atmosphere work place and place where you learned a lot of things specially technology.
Pros
relaxed atmoshere
Cons
part time only
megalan
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON29 October 2015
now i know work place safety knowledge,i got more experience in work place,but all works are temporary,now i looking for permanent jobs,
Standard place to work
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Okotoks28 February 2015
The company has changed very much since Doctor Bose passed away. It's very corperate and you have a employee number for a reason.
Pros
Freedom with schedule
Cons
Always on the road
Great Company - Fantastic Compensation & Benefits, Not so great Work-Life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2015
On the surface, Bose Limited is a good company with a great product that you can believe in. They have a strict high quality standard in store facilities, and their product. Bose is at heart a R&D company and manufacturer, and their foray into retail has been a challenging one.

The best parts of working for Bose are the company vision, products, and compensation. Dr Amarr Bose had a strong vision for his company, and created something great that is easy to buy into. Working for Bose you feel like part of this vision. The products are great, and innovative in many ways. Its fun to see whats new and they have a great way of making you excited about the new innovations. Plus you get to listen to music all day, how cool is that?

Compensation with Bose is great. They pay very competitively, and have some great benefits and perks. In fact I would say some of the best I have ever seen in retail electronics. Even the part time staff get benefits, and access to all the perks. For a company that is not unionized, that's amazing.

Bose Limited is the Canadian administrative wing of Bose Corporation in the USA. However the corporate structure is confusing as there are many layers within the company. The Canadian retail stores are integrated into the American districts in a confusing pattern that makes management difficult. Most communication is prepared towards the american stores, and most strategies are specific to the american market.

Because of their american focus, just watch out for yourself if your Canadian as some practices might run contrary to your provincial or federal
  more... rights. It's not often, but it does happen, and they generally do not do it on purpose. Your Managers boss will be american as will all those they report to. This means the orders are not made attention to Canadian differences in mind.

If your Management, expect a very invasive job that will demand much of your life, and continue to expect more. It is expected you will work your daily 8.5 hour shifts, and extra frequently and not on a limited basis. A large part of this is the store structure in place. Unlike most retail chains, Bose has a major restriction on the number of people who have keys to open and close the store. This restriction is so abnormally tight in the industry that if anything happens outside the regular schedule, expect to be called into work. The restriction is so tight that there is no room on the schedule for any absence, and the simple act of filling a request for a few days off from a closer will require special permission from head office to grant a key to another individual temporary under severe restrictions. This will be your biggest source of disruption since many company policies will prevent you from taking any appropriate measures to insulate your business against this risk.

Finally I feel the company as a whole is struggling in Retail. While they are happy with some basic success thought north america, they are slow to adopt many systems that would be considered basic in most of the industry. Due to the size of the company, and its roots as a R&D manufacturing company, the company has created an obscene amount of layers of bureaucracy which constricts innovation, despite innovation being a key value within the company. From what I can tell their stores are profitable, but frequently under-preform compared to peers in their malls.

The retail segment of the company also lacks an overall strategy as can be seen by their fragmented roll-out plan in Canada. Stores are placed in areas only based on each markets individual projected opportunity, with little in the way of a higher level strategy that considers market footprint, local knowledge in habits and patters, inter store support, marketing support, and logistics. The primary strategy is place stores in markets seen as of high opportunity, and use infrequent but expensive national campaigns to support them. In most cases the marketing is a piggy back off american campaigns, and have limited to no effect in Canada. This is frustrating as it leaves the Canadian stores poorly supported.
Pros
Benefits for All, Competitive compensation, lots of cool perks, Awesome product, listen to music all day
Cons
Invasive Scheduling (Managers), lack of focus, Canadian stores poorly supported, poor Canadian strategy