Borland Construction Inc

Borland Construction Inc Employee Reviews

Seasonal with long hours
I've been working seasonally for 8 full seasons going into my 9th, it's a very fun and rewarding job, can be difficult at times depending on the Forman, supervisor bit overall a great place to work
It's a place to work
Was treated fairly, it's unionized and it was close to home. I did almost every job on the site. There is some room for advancement but not much. Most of the guys were fine to work with.
Great pay but long hours away from home.
One of manitoba's, oldest and largest contractors, borland has years of experience with design and construction of a wide range of infrastructure projects. Borland has successfully completed various projects for public and private clients, including proponents of p3, design-build and other non-conventional project delivery models.
Good positive experience
Had an awesome time working at Borland . Met lots of great coworkers and generally enjoyed my time there . Gained lots of respect for anyone who works as a safety flagger . Not as easy a job as people may think . Opportunity for advancement exists . Wish the hourly rate could have been a buck or two higher . Long hours and lots of overtime . Still a good experience .
very supportive work environment
people are very friendly, and everyone in the company is working as one team to deliver successful projects. I have gained a lot of experience in management.
construction
Highway, side road, city streets, and parking lot work mostly. They go from sewer to all the way through till they lay the concrete and even some bridge work.
Pros
lots of work
Safety First
Joined this company a few years ago coming from a competitor. Heavy construction is a dangerous but they take safety seriously at Borland. Much better than where I worked before. The pay is great, the hours are long but the season is short My supervisor helps me to learn and treats me nice. I would want my friends and family to work with me in this job.
Pros
very good pay
Cons
long hours outside
Great pay and good hours
I really like it here. My forman treats me good. it feels like the hours are too long but I like to be off in winter so work hard in summer pay is very very good, Nice people i like to work with I have friends here to
Pros
my crew has lots of experienced guys who help me learn
Cons
long hours in summer
No ethics
This company has no moral or ethical standards by which they operate. People are not valued and are expendable and management does not value or protect their workforce and are resistant to change. Stay away from this company at any cost. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt again or there is another fatality. Sadly this company does not learn from tragic mistakes.
Pros
Cons
No ethical or moral standards
good work environment
be there for 7 am everyday.
I learned about the world of asphalt.

managements is awesome.

work place culture is great!.

the most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of the Borland family .
Great pay with terriblepeople
Borland Construction is great company to work for. They have competitive wages, benefits and workers union. Like other big companies it is easy to get over looked and sometimes bad communication.
Roadwork and sewer/water infrastructure company
Safety leaders in the heavy construction industry.
Large local company

Four divisions:

-Road construction- both concrete and asphalt

-Utilities construction - installation and repair of sewer and water infrastructure

-Materials- operates both stationary and mobile asphalt plants as well as quarries.

-Equipment- both rental of heavy equipment and maintenance of own fleet.

Most postitions are seasonal in nature. Expect long days as construction work week is 50 hours and seasonal work brings much overtime most seasons.
Jobs change day to day, hour to hour sometimes.
Summer work starts at 6am at the yard and you go till the White hat tells you to pack up and head home. Knowing Portuguese helps understanding what's going on.
I enjoy working outdoors. But I was hoping to found work year round.
I enjoy working outdoors, but the hours are quite long. I would like to found a job that is year round. I am the foreman of a crew of 10 workers. I organize the day to day aspect of the job for the day.
Its a nice environment with good co-workers
Working in Borland construction has been one of the best opportunity i have in Canada with nice colleague and Boss.I hope to learn better in any construction company i still find myself.
Pros
tim hortons coffe
always thinking and productive job
great division to work in, operating the mill came easy to me.
Awesome trainer that i got to work with was told i was the fastest person in the last five years to get the hang of it less than a month.

the foreman and lead hand were not the greatest, seemed like my trainer and i always had to run the show on our own due to the fact they were always on their phone trying to multi task.

Loved my job but i would rather work full time instead of seasonal.
Pros
long hours.
Cons
treatment by foreman and lead hand
Good job experience
It was a new experience for me.The hours are long, however the salary reflects the work you do which is more than fair. The hardest part of the job is earning the respect of the veterans. Its a lot harder when you are a female going into a male dominated work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the training in the outdoor environment and learning the different tasks that need to be done daily.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
working in the heat
Team oriented environment that recognizes the importance of family
A strong safety oriented workplace that is commited to strengthening its workforce.
Pros
Flexible hours and work schedules
benefits
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Borland Construction Inc. Our community is ready to answer.
Borland Construction Inc Reviews by Location