Bonbons Squish Candies Employee Reviews

backhanded leadership
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2019
I was excited to work for this company initially but that wore off rather quickly. I delivered results in my store but had to sacrifice my mental health with little thanks.

Our location had very high sales, which our manager would take credit for when it was assistant management and key holders actually running the floor during busy times like evenings or weekends. At least head office had our back when we had questions or issues.

My store manager would spend a lot of time out of store on administrative tasks and conference calls with head office then call it a day, had little experience in their own store. Same employees always worked the busy shifts because managers wanted weekends off - I have no idea why that was allowed of retail managers - made me think they really did not understand or care about their own business. People were burned out and stressed because they were cut off from their social life or did not have time to study.

Employees would be singled out if they did not perform tasks in a specific way or have good enough sales numbers. MODs who tried to be positive and supportive were treated as threats. Management played mind games, reprimanded us for trivial things and treated the team as disposable even though they were breaking company sales records.

Schedule was very inconsistent - time off requests were denied constantly, we would be short-staffed because shifts would get cancelled without notice (even the other MODs were not notified), unfinished drafts of the schedule would go out - but somehow it was still the fault of the employees for not
  more... knowing their schedule.

Ultimately I became too frustrated to really continue working there and do my best. The staff deserve much better.
Pros
free candy, head office is responsive and supportive
Cons
store management untrustworthy
Worst Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2019
Probably one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a store. The management was horrible.Managers /Assistant managers and supervisors would target you if you did not reach a certain goal.They would make you feel so uncomfortable to a point where you just felt like you needed to quit. There was this overwhelming dread of me going into work every everyday.They would preach this positivity of helping eachother out and that we were all friends ;but it was anything but. It was just catty and gossipy all the time. They would give you dirty looks and talk behind your back.Overall it was a poisonous environment.The pay was horrible. If you are working part time they will under pay you. Or just under pay you in general. If you do not reach a specific goal they will start to give you less hours. If the manager figures out you are not making that goal she will embarrass you. She has even come up to me while I was with customers just to say that I was not standing a certain way or position after she had told me to stay at that same position or section and(not to move) .It was like she was contradicting herself on purpose just to cause drama. It was frustrating. The pay and hours were just unbareble. You either get 0- 4 hours. Let's not start with about how bad the paycheck was and how hypocritical and fake some of the employees were there. To be honest don't waste your time. This is my honest experience.
Super Inconsistent Hours!!!!
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 June 2019
there are about 15 people working in one store small store so, you'll probably get 0-4 hours weekly. Emphasis on 0 hours a week. There have been times when I went 3-4 weeks without a shift.
Productive, fun, and an absolute joy to work for!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 June 2019
Working at Squish has been an amazing experience for me! I got to work alongside awesome people and see the smiles of happy customers and their candy!
Pros
Free Candy Samples!
Awesome
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 June 2019
This is an awesome place to work for because the management team is so helpful and understanding. Its laid back and lets you express yourself. I am very happy to be working here!
Pros
Free candy!
Beaucoup de pression
Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 May 2019
Je suis à l'aise même s'il y a beaucoup de pression aux heures de luch.
Enjoyed the work culture
Gummy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2019
As a part-time job during university, I enjoyed my role as a gummy specialist at Squish. I worked at the Eaton's Hudsons Bay location and had a lot of regular customers who I developed meaningful relationships with. My group was the goal-oriented, we collaborated well together in order to reach our weekly sales targets. I also got to enjoy so many gummies on the job, I loved it.
By Far, The Worst Place to Work
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2019
The work environment was great in the beginning. The energy in the store and the co-workers were amazing. It quickly died down and everything began going wrong. The job is extremely boring. You have to stand outside most of the day to sample candies to attract customers. If you don't sell "enough" candies, they make you feel really bad for it and then they just reduce your hours in an effort to force you to quit. After speaking to my former co-workers and others from different locations, I have discovered that most of them actually hated working there and they hated the management even more. Management has no idea what they are doing. They don't know how to treat employees right, nor do they know how to increase morale. Managers don't know how to listen to the concerns of the employees and disregard anything they say. Most of the employees are even too afraid to speak up. They constantly try to make changes to improve sales and most of them are actually ineffective and make work life for the employees a lot harder. Everyone is under paid and the hours are really bad. Even if you have a higher position, they barely pay you above minimum wage and they do not give raises. They don't know how to recognize good work and there is no room to move up. There was a lot of clear favouritism in the stores and most of the higher management. Please do not even think about applying for this company.
Pros
good discount, good product
Cons
bad management, no hours, low pay, treat employees unfairly
Not a good place to work at!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 February 2019
Where can I start. First of all, the team leaders are very rude. You are required to go fast. If you are not fast enough, they will let you know & they wil tell you that you are slow, at least once a day. You have to put candles in a bag, weigh it & put it in a box. The job was stressful. I didn’t enjoy working here at all. I would try & avoid working here at all costs.
Pros
Cons
The rude team leaders!
productive in a fast-paced environment
Warehouse clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 February 2019
Daily work at Squish warehouse begins with a lot of work to pack up candies (depends on which department you're in) non-stop until break. Job requires you to stand all day and lift up and move ready packages that has been boxed, which to say for me was the hardest part of the job because my feet and back hurts for the first 2 weeks straight. I learned to do a lot in the different departments, how to pack in candies and seal them, how to label packages and taping the boxes. Overall it isn't a difficult job, from repetition but you have to have strong stamina and energy every day.
Pros
good management
Cons
back pain from standing all day
Meh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario7 October 2018
Well. I started off loving this. Really. The staff was great and the hours were great but suddenly my shifts kept getting cut. And i dont mean a few days before. I mean as little as TWO HOURS before my shift. I was in my way to work and i would get a call not to come in. Not asked if i minded. Just told they didnt need me. Training sucks because i had no chance to learn from barely 4 hours a week. Discount is good but i left for a better place where i steadily get the hours i need. I would not recommend bothering to work here. It looks all fun and games but its not.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Shift cuts.. no training.... no advancement...
Good work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 September 2018
Fun work environment. Flexible time schedules. Minimun wage for sales associates. Good discount on products. Daily choaching log and goals. CANDY + CANDY = FUN
Helped me towards my future
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2018
Overall I've learned so many critical skills that I never imagined I would be able to experience at a retail job. Along with the comforting atmosphere provided by my boss and colleagues I can safely say that my time at Squish has improved my professional attitude towards my fellow coworkers as well as towards our customers. It has helped be able to recognize certain situation and how to adapt to my customer to suit their needs as best as I can.
Pros
Work culture
Cons
Unfriendly customers
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2018
Fun environment and energy. The gummies are good and the pricing you get from working there is nice. However the company is horribly managed - there's no advancement, no room for raise, they cut hours constantly and offer no benefits. The management is rude and don't really understand how to inspire work ethic or positivity - they prefer to write up or cut hours of associates rather than work one on one.
Pros
Fun environment, good discount
Cons
Changes hurt associate, no advancement, bad management
Not enough hours and poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 July 2018
While working at a squish location in Ontario, I was always excited to start my shift but after working there for about a year , it was like they forgot I had availability. My manager was never really there , she hired a team lead who started cutting my shifts after I arrived to work which was a waste of bus fare. I used to work 20 hours per week and now I'm lucky if I were able to be able to work at least 15hrs. This team lead would cut hours as long as its not one of her friends. I remember being left on the sales floor by myself doing cash ,sampling and helping the costumers while 6 employees would sit in the back room talking about nonsense or watching TV shows (manager). Love the product but for all the work I have to do it is not worth $14 per 10 hours a week.
Pros
Lovley costumers, %50 everything in the store, up to 45 minute break (not paid)
Cons
Poor management, treated like a dog, hours are horrible, not worth the stress
Sales person
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 May 2018
leanred how to handle the customers with a happy smile, how to sale something to the perople who entered the store it was very helpful. and leanred ablot
Interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 April 2018
It's a new company, so I shouldn't be harsh, but somethings are just too ridiculous to put into words.
The rest is awesome, sampling to awesome, customers are amazing, coworkers are a dream when they're not quitting every two months and even then, the OG employees were the life of the party.
Management and upper management could use a lesson in manners and learn that everyone has feeling and that this is not high school, so don't be shady, but the rest is on the up and up.
The customers are worth the few months you do spend there, it's a great transition job, yes, but not one anyone in one specific location was willing to keep.
If I was at a different location, I would've enjoyed working here a lot more then I did.
Pros
Fun, customers, free samples, great product, great music, learned great skills
Cons
barely any hours, questionable management, questionable upper management, cost of travel vs pay
Productive and fun workplace
cashier register sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2018
Squish was always a fun environment, filled with positive workers and customers. The hardest part of the job was restocking days. Other than that it was an awesome environment to be in.
Pros
right in the eaton centre
Cons
very far from home
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2018
Once our team got a new manager and assistant store manager, everything has gotten a lot better. While there still needs to be things that could improve, it's gotten a lot better since the summer.
Pros
Discount on candy
Cons
Limited room for advancement, fluctuating hours
Horrible Work Enviornment
Candies Team Lead (Former Employee) –  New Market, ON22 January 2018
I was hired as a team lead at SQUISH candies in Upper Canada Mall. Although the company portrays a happy, fun, and exciting environment, the management team was very disorganized, and left me with a horrible experience. My manager at the time was completely disrespectful, inappropriate, and also unprofessional. Nearing towards my last day at work, my manager would make rude comments, and would target hate towards me concerning my personal life.
Pros
Candy Samples
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bonbons Squish Candies. Our community is ready to answer.