Body + Soul Fitness

Body + Soul Fitness Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
I have worked in the business for many years and this club is quite different. Cliquish place to work not a team environment. No work life if you want to sustain a living. Long hours without proper compensation. Trainers not expected to sell but try to upgrade clients if they want to make money. They can be blocked from getting clients by the owner. There is never enough of a budget to properly do anything.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Compensation is like slave labor.
Since I have started working at Body+Soul Fitness in April I have been able to get a full roster of clients within 3-4 months. During the probation period I was also given a base salary to help with the start of gaining clients. The other trainers are looking to continue learning and collaborating with each other that allows for a good working culture. Once your schedule is set you are able to come and go as you please with a lot of opportunity to advance in your own training career
During my time as an employee at the BS fitness I came across some very knowledgeable individuals, but also with the worst possible owner of those three locations.

His unprofessional attitude, manners, and genuine hate for the female gender reflected also to the wages he offers.

The culture in thise location is non existent and the working conditions far from favorite.

There are so many other great places to work in fitness than this fake brand.

No respect, no equal pay, no culture.
Pros
Some knowledgeable employees work there.
Cons
Everything else.
I worked at the Eglinton & Avenue location for just about 1 year. During my time with this company I was able to participate in the CPTN Personal Training certification course. What I appreciated most was that my manager respected my lifestyle. I never had to choose between my personal and work life. The manager is a great person to work with. She lets you know what tasks are expected to be done and thats it. She doesn't make you feel less of a person and genuinely cares about seeing employees advanced whether within the company or not.

The facility is great and it never gets overcrowded. Both the staff and gym members have built good rapport with each other. Everyone knows each other by name. The staff team is more of a family unit working together with one common interest as oppose to competing with each other. The staff team at this location plans monthly outings in order to have fun outside of the facility. I'd recommend this place to anyone looking for employment whether short or long term.
Pros
overall great workplace environment
Cons
club assistant shifts are short
Amazing team that makes you look forward to coming to work everyday. Managment is laid back and are super flexible when it comes to your personal schedule.
Coming from working at a large corporate gym, Body + Soul Fitness was a breath of fresh air. There's a huge focus on actually getting clients results, ensuring the programming and training is rooted in science and theory, and is specific to the client's background and goals.

There's a lot of room for growth, and autonomy in the management position. It's the first management role I've had where I honestly feel that my voice has impact, and I have a role in the development, growth, and future of the company.

Great culture, great team, and a fun gym to train at with great equipment.
Pros
Autonomy, room for growth, continuing education, development, weekends off
Cons
wish there was yoga!
Every single shift, I am always excited to come in! Rare is a gym with a community that always has a sense of support between all the members, and that's exactly how it consistently feels at Body + Soul. Beyond the members, this support also extends to all the staff, as I always feel encouraged by management to grow in my position as much as I want to. I know I can always approach my manager for any questions and guidance.

There's never a dull moment at Body + Soul, but if you want a career with this gym, you're also always encouraged to develop and fulfill the vision you have for yourself. It couldn't be more true with this gym that you receive back how much you give yourself to your work every day. It's impossible to leave after a shift here without asking yourself every time if you're becoming the best you know you can be so you can see everyone around you also become their best!
Pros
Warm community, coworkers you can consider as coworkers for life, flexible schedule, management that doesn't exist in a typical gym, a full range of equipment
Cons
I wish there was more of a variety of classes offered!
Coming from somebody that has been in the industry for awhile, this place is by far different from the big box gyms out there. There is nothing pushy or aggressive in terms of the sales pitch. Every place a formula sand I can honestly say that I have never felt more comfortable doing a sales pitch than I am here. There's no "don't say this" or "don't say that".

Don't get me wrong, there are challenges being here but it is what you make out of it. Coming from a background of hustling in big box gyms you understand the amount of work you need to put and how much hustle you need to have. I found Body + Soul a walk in the park to be honest.

The culture is great here. From members to trainers, this place just feels like a huge hang out place.
Pros
The team is exceptional. Each individual is sharp, talented and overall the best part of this job
Cons
Long hours.
It was a pleasure working at Body and Soul. Even as a Janitor/Operations specialist, I learned so much about the human body and key ways to develop it. The environment, including every single staff member were incredible people with high motivation and a knack to help others reach their goals. Not only did they provide me with a free gym membership, but I was also given personal fitness lessons with one of the best instructors. This was and probably will be the best work environment I ever step foot in.
You aren't able to start earning until after you have sold a personal training package. You don't earn anything for making the sale- you only start earning your hourly rate once the client starts attending their sessions. You make absolutely nothing for selling gym memberships, but you're expected to aggressively sell these as well. Because of the heavier emphasis on making the sale, I'd consider this a job in sales.

I put in about 200 hours as an employee with this company and ended up earning less than $50. Granted, this is because I have no passion for being a salesman. You could be the best trainer in the country but if you don't sell and meet your sales targets, you won't make it here.

I was uncomfortable with the aggressive sales script, my manager asking me to open my email for them to read, the hours of unpaid labour, false timelines, and more.

On the positive side, most employees here are generally friendly and personable people. There are also very knowledgeable mentors that have very useful fitness oriented information to pass on.
Pros
The people aren't awful
Cons
Sales first, Trainer second
The staff are generally great and extremely talented and this provides for a great learning experience as everyone is amazing at what they do.

A lot of the responsibility for getting clientele falls on to the trainer as there is generally no marketing for the facility/trainers and it is a low-volume gym (meaning there are few members.)
I would not advise someone to take a management job with Body + Soul Fitness. Job security is very low, and managerial turnover is excessive.

The staff members are great, and fun to work with.
Pros
great facility, good staff and friendly members
Cons
the owner, time, marketing, budget