Boathouse/ Blackwell Stores Employee Reviews

New management couldn’t hold onto original staff because of hidden agendas
Manger/ keyholder (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC11 February 2019
Got hired by a wonderful manager who left a month into my probation. We received a new manager from another store .New manager comes in and I get fired ten minutes in , because quote ‘ I don’t think you passed your probation” when I said I was only a month in I wasn’t being trained correctly , she replied ‘ I want my old staff’. I hear from former staff she’s fired two others in a week. Job seems to be a high turnover for bigoted managers seeking power and punishing staff for being mentally unwell.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management, Hr, discrimination
Nice co workers and staff
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 January 2019
Overall is not a bad place to work but the assistant manager is nkt the most pleasant person to be around the manager however is lovely and the rest of the staff is aswell
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Assistant manager issues
Decent workplace, reasonably fun environment, good people lots of friends made here.
Customer Services and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 December 2018
I feel that my time here was very valuable, I learnt to adapt to a new environment in a new country. The management were very task and performance based and this encouraged me to further develop my work ethic. I felt a culture of hard-working people and motivated staff was created. A typical day involved encouraging my team members to reach personal and team goals as well as being very engaged in customer service as well as ensuring the store was in mint condition for the ultimate customer experience
Pros
40% discount on all merchandise
Cons
It wasn't very in line with my after university school plans
Definitely no room for advancements
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON28 October 2018
Worked as an ASM came back early from mat leave as SM was leaving applied for SM only to be told I'm not management material so felt more unappreciated than ever before really felt like i wasnt even considered for the manager role. Really seen what the SM was responsible for and very little direction as stores are not the same everywhere. No room for advancement as I feel they don't give you a chance to prove how well you could do . No visual team to provide feedback as visual is different from location to locations. The RM never advised that a manager was hired went on vacation so rumors ran wild definitely wasnt very professional in my opinion. Stayed 3 weeks as a stand in SM than put resumes out and left as I was accepted for a job gave my notice and got you need to do what's best for your family. So all staff is replaceable your job anyone can do and they don't mind a change of staff 2 managers gone in a course of a month should show something
Pros
Discount
Cons
Your replaceable
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 July 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job, was upon when i was first hired with the previous manager, one that followed workplace etiquette last year at Boathouse at the Cambridge Centre. Until management was replaced and the replacement was verbally abusive, sexist and racist towards employees, sometimes even customers. The manager completely disregarded workplace conduct and stopped scheduling some employees, i once went 3 months before receiving a shift, without verbally firing them, just removing names from the schedule with no notice, phone call, text message, anything. Every shift I had working at Boathouse was stressful and uncoordinated
Pros
40 % brand name clothing / shoes
Cons
Short and sparse shifts, bad management
Personally was a waste of time.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
Co workers do nothing but spread gossip, management picked favourites and punished the ones she didn't care for. No opportunities to move up in the company because no one wants to due to management having you do part of her job as well.
Pros
Discount
Starting Out
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON5 March 2018
Great Starting out in retail management. Could have better training, better management hours for managers.

over all a great work environment, great staff great discount.
Pros
bonus giveback break for managers
Cons
long holiday shifts
Much better places to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC27 February 2018
This company lacks in customer service! Staff and Management have no clue what they are doing. A thief easily could steal from their clueless staff. Clearly a training issue. No service exist. Company talks down to its staff.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
lack professional, customer service and training
Fun workplace with a nice selection of clothes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC9 September 2017
Boathouse is a great workplace for anyone who enjoys an outdoors/active lifestyle. The clothes we sell represent this lifestyle and we try to portray that lifestyle to our customers in order for them to be attracted to our work environment.
very meh
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
didnt really do much just a really chill job. managemnet is very poor but overall a good experience
its like the easier job you could have but egt paid minimum wage
Pros
easy
Cons
boring
fun work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON12 March 2017
Boathouse is a great place to work, I learned a lot at boathouse, I learned how to make the store look "shop able" meaning making it look presentable for customers to shop in. I had awesome leaders that taught me how to motivate the staff to reach goals.
Pros
able to move up
Cons
rude customers
Great culture, Great people!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario1 March 2017
Boathouse is a great place to work. I have worked for large American companies in the past and boathouse was the first Canadian company I worked for. Wow, what a difference! You feel like a person and not just a number. I loved the people and culture, and the brands we carried were awesome. The discount was also super generous.

Sales weren't as easy as my past jobs. Boathouse customers have a higher service expectation, so as long as we put in the effort, we always made our budgets.

Compensation was fair. Hard work was rewarded. There were lots of staff incentive contests with amazing prizes.

Contrary to previous reviews the company is growing. They opened several stores while i was there, which is always comforting when you work in retail.

Unfortunately I had to move for personal reasons, or I'd still be there. overall, I'd recommend this company!!
Pros
Great people and culture. Generous discounts. Amazing incentives.
Cons
Not as structured as other companies.
Horrible Upper Management, Compensation Low, Catty Head Office
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario Canada15 February 2017
The only thing good about working for this company is the discount. The pay is so low-balled that you almost need the discount to even afford product.

Upper management are so catty, and claim to be "open" to all opinions and ideas, but only if they align with their opinions and ideas. They take advantage of everyone, and say that they're growing and there is opportunity for advancement, but this is just not true. They're closing twice as many stores as they're opening and they're entirely too cheap to chop up regions any further to create more RM positions.

Inventory and stock are so disorganized during shipments and season changes that a lot of time is spent just trying to figure out what you've received. Any product requests to the buyers aren't even considered, and hot ticket items are bought too late last the trend (adidas superstars anyone?) to even sell anymore.

Overall, this is a fun company if you're just part-time sales and don't mind being overworked for minimum wage. Anything other than that is soul-sucking and the company just testing you to see how much work you can do for little pay. Even the bonus structure is ridiculous for management. $38 for hitting budget one month. Thanks for the motivation.

From one former vet to a prospect: don't work here. The discount is great, but it's just not worth it to be treated like a slave.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay, long hours, no visual help, heavy stock, catty upper management, Human Resources ruled by an evil dictator
Difficult in sales but positive in culture
Sales/Visual Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 September 2016
I have been in boathouse for about 6 months and went through 3 managers. the first one was chill, the second one didnt know what he was doing and the third one gave a good kick in the butt but might have kicked a little too hard for some employees.
Pros
easy and fun culture
Cons
difficult making sales because not a lot of customers come in

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boathouse/ Blackwell Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8