Boathouse/ Blackwell Stores

Boathouse/ Blackwell Stores Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
I was hired as a seasonal key holder and was never trained past back room stock. I was there for about 3 months before I gave up during the holidays for extra help. At the time I had already had previous retail And key holder experience and had a pretty clear idea of what a store needs to function, this store does not what so ever. The turnover in this store is insane, at the time I worked there no one, including the store manager, had been there for more than 6 months.
I was left to do stock in the back by myself every single shift and usually only worked mornings. One random night they threw me on the sales floor and got upset when I didn't know how to do anything, which was beyond frustrating to me as someone who had been asking for more training.

My fellow sales associates were very kind and did their best to help me but I always felt like a massive bother to management. The whole endeavour was very unorganized and frustrating to deal with.

The only real pro to this job was the dress code and discounts. The dress code is very lax, preferably brands sold in the store, as long as nothing was derogatory or offensive it was fine. Discount was nice too, 50% on boathouse brand items, and 40% off of branded items, but they make it a pain to use it.
Pros
Discount, lax dress code
Cons
Unorganized, untrained, management
Lack of support from RM. He is rude and very passive aggressive. HUGE turn over rate in BC due to training/pay. There is no structure in training. Make you read a mixed up binder and answer questions. The amount of work they expect you to do in 1 to 2 days is not attainable. The RM is passive aggressive in emails and doesn't help when you need it. he doesn't treat staff well either.
Pros
No pros
This was my first job and the experience has been amazing. Management is supportive and encouraging. Coworkers are fun and the job is always interesting. You are able to express creativity with displays and assisting customers with clothes. Great perks with the job and it’s a very trendy place. Love working here!
Forget the discounts. It’s just such an amazing culture ti work for. Canadian consonant with strong hometown roots. Couldn’t ask for a better place to grow with
typical day at work was laid back.
I learned to dress mannequins.

Management was nice but gossiped about staff behind their backs.

Inclusive culture.

Hardest part of the job was unreasonable customers.

Had a good discount.
There are only a few times of the year where its busy; back to school, Christmas and summer. Other than that, it was fairly slow, a great place to network since you have a lot of one on one time with all employees. Its a great job to have if you're in school since full time employment is only for management. During the slow season hours range from 4.5/ week to 12/week roughly for sales associates and 12/week to 25/week for Key holders. I learnt a lot of responsibility as well as how tot all to different types of costumers and the hardest part is definitely selling during slow times. I love all the people I work with which made this job even better.
The work environment is great but it’s very competitive. I learnt how to use the cash register. The management is a great but can be a bit harsh. The store is very fast paced. This job is great because you make great connections with customers and coworkers.
As soon as I started I felt welcomed. My experience so far as been positive. I absolutely love the team I work with!! My boss is great and I can learn so much from her, definitely glad to be under her wings!!!
The manager has NO management qualities AT ALL. Her staff is poorly trained and the store is always in a mess.
The manager doesn't care about the store. She leaves randomly during the day. Leaving the product coordinator (who isn't supposed to work on the floor) alone to manage the store and staff. I've seen her clock in for a 12h shift and only work 3 out of thoses 4 hours
great discounts and co workers, but terrible management. the management was very immature, toxic, manipulative, petty and there was always lots of gossiping. it almost seemed as if you would be punished for time requested off. there was also a lot of empty promises that were never followed through (eg. rewards for sales, gift cards for employee of the month, promised dinners out for hard work etc.) the management was a grown adult who acted like a highschool student with the amount of immaturity. i loved the job and the work so much and i wish i could have kept the opportunity, but the management was too much. the cons outweighed the pros.
Pros
discounts, co workers
Cons
management
I was an ASM I was barley trained, my manager was barely trained and off we went to open a new store. The manager refused to communicate with her management staff resulting in a lot of confusion. She fired most of her staff within the first 6 months myself included. No attempt at communication, never tried finding out why there were problems. They used their team as an excuse for her lack of training and understanding. The P.O.S is the most complex system I have worked on and theyre simply inefficient. Theres no cleaning checklist, nothing for staff to refer to.
Pros
great visual merchandiser
Cons
brown noser manager, no training, poor communication, job security
management was horrible and the way i was treated by the co worker i worked with.i was harrassed and had to quit from the stress.be careful working for this company.
Pros
Cons
terrible management
Firstly, You will not get a good pay for the amount of work and time you spend at Boathouse. They pay minimum wage but expect you to spend all your time there with no time off. Managment is NOT helpful. Your voice will not be heard. You will not be properly trained, managers are always leaving/terminated. There is a lack of leadership from the company. They do not show that they appreciate their employees. Do not work here.
Pros
Discount
Cons
My manager was amazing and so were my coworkers. They were so sweet and accommodating. They really pushed me to do better and help to do better the whole time I worked there. Unfortunately I just found retail was not the kind of job for me
Pros
Discounts on clothes, good hours
Got hired by a lovely manager who shortly left after hire, however the new manager was rude and expected too much for little pay.
Discounts were good but apparently calling in sick was not allowed and manager had a poor sense of how to manage the staff
Pros
discounts
Cons
Hr, managment
Its a good place to work if you have a good manager, which I did.
Manager was super flexible with work hours, time off requests and scheduling around your other commitments.

As a key holder you do a lot just to be paid only 15 cents more than sales associates. There is also no room for advancement passed key holder.
Pros
Discount (40% brand names/50% store brand), flexibility
Cons
Pay
Got hired by a wonderful manager who left a month into my probation. We received a new manager from another store .New manager comes in and I get fired ten minutes in , because quote ‘ I don’t think you passed your probation” when I said I was only a month in I wasn’t being trained correctly , she replied ‘ I want my old staff’. I hear from former staff she’s fired two others in a week. Job seems to be a high turnover for bigoted managers seeking power and punishing staff for being mentally unwell.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management, Hr, discrimination
Overall is not a bad place to work but the assistant manager is nkt the most pleasant person to be around the manager however is lovely and the rest of the staff is aswell
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Assistant manager issues
I feel that my time here was very valuable, I learnt to adapt to a new environment in a new country. The management were very task and performance based and this encouraged me to further develop my work ethic. I felt a culture of hard-working people and motivated staff was created. A typical day involved encouraging my team members to reach personal and team goals as well as being very engaged in customer service as well as ensuring the store was in mint condition for the ultimate customer experience
Pros
40% discount on all merchandise
Cons
It wasn't very in line with my after university school plans
Worked as an ASM came back early from mat leave as SM was leaving applied for SM only to be told I'm not management material so felt more unappreciated than ever before really felt like i wasnt even considered for the manager role. Really seen what the SM was responsible for and very little direction as stores are not the same everywhere. No room for advancement as I feel they don't give you a chance to prove how well you could do . No visual team to provide feedback as visual is different from location to locations. The RM never advised that a manager was hired went on vacation so rumors ran wild definitely wasnt very professional in my opinion. Stayed 3 weeks as a stand in SM than put resumes out and left as I was accepted for a job gave my notice and got you need to do what's best for your family. So all staff is replaceable your job anyone can do and they don't mind a change of staff 2 managers gone in a course of a month should show something
Pros
Discount
Cons
Your replaceable
The most enjoyable part of the job, was upon when i was first hired with the previous manager, one that followed workplace etiquette last year at Boathouse at the Cambridge Centre. Until management was replaced and the replacement was verbally abusive, sexist and racist towards employees, sometimes even customers. The manager completely disregarded workplace conduct and stopped scheduling some employees, i once went 3 months before receiving a shift, without verbally firing them, just removing names from the schedule with no notice, phone call, text message, anything. Every shift I had working at Boathouse was stressful and uncoordinated
Pros
40 % brand name clothing / shoes
Cons
Short and sparse shifts, bad management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boathouse/ Blackwell Stores. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7