Boart Longyear

Boart Longyear Employee Reviews

My Forman was awesome, most of the guys working where i was are cool guys

Always giving the patience of my employees and shown the right way to do things. This company is great If you're looking to move up and feel like you really earned it, my Forman at the mine in marathon Ontario was probably the best Forman I have had in all my life. When stuff was needed it was there within an hour or the next day depending on what shift you worked. Over all I loved the company sad I had to go due to personal issues. One day I hope to return as a driller and not a lead hand.

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Housing was like living as a drug attack in the slums.

Good place to work and can be very rewarding if you put in the effort, always have the proper tools for the job, wide variety of gear, good quality equipment, good wages, benefits and pension plan, inovative company, keeping up with the industry as it grows and becomes more competitive.

Pros

Salary, benefits, pension, tools and equipment

Cons

Accumulated vacation pay when you want to take holidays (gets paid out every check)

Stressful

0 on the job training, the people that work there all fight with each other and are constantly stressed out, can’t ask questions without getting yelled at, very disorganized. All in all a very chaotic and stressful work environment. Wouldn’t answer questions when I asked how to do something and then got yelled at for doing it wrong all the time.

Pros

Pay is pretty good.

Cons

Everything else

Hard work

Co workers were great to work with. Company is extremely disorganized, was told not to bring ppe because it would be supplied, it was not until much later in the rotation. Was promised new coveralls and never got them. hr doesn’t seem to answer you until they need something from you then they call lots. No room for advancement unless your a favourite/kiss up. Extremely hard work but if you are a hard worker you can handle it. You can work as hard as you want but they don’t recognize it if your a helper.

Pros

Camp jobs, pay is decent

Cons

Very unorganized, favouritism plays a large part

Productive, safe work culture and teamwork

Working at Boart Longyear is very productive, safe and career enriching. They have a very high if not excellent safety culture and a great commitment to meeting the targets and specifications of their clients. There is constant reviews of safety protocols and standard working procedures to always measure up to changing trends as well as keep zero harm target. Their collaboration and opportunities given to persons from local communities from which they operate is worth commending.One of their high points is the systems put in place to train its own drillers over time.

Cons

Not sure

Driller Assistant

Boart Longyear was not afraid to spend money for equipment and ppe. But was very miss managed. Our site was destined to fail with to many new Boart Longyear employees. Was excited to work for BLY, but when I arrived at location there was mass confusion and never got better.

Pros

They spent money on there employees

Restructuring job losses

Company always seems to be laying off people and restructuring. Fear of job loss is on everyone’s minds. Never know what’s happening or who’s in charge.

Excellent Company

The upside: Good work culture and management, great team, good pay, interesting work, nice iron, cool Research & Development, awesome benefits, plus they pay to fly people all over the country between rotations. The downside: working in remote areas, unstable market, the company has been streamlining and has been in cost cutting mode since 2015.

Pros

Great brand, global expertise, awesome people

Cons

Long hours, instability of the market

Company has good men on the inside

The company promotion goes to the one that chews the most crayons an is the biggest yes man Or the boss's kid who is not a boss in any way ready for the position

Pros

Good crews

Cons

Exactly that the company is a con

Very high pressure. Favoritisms and reverse discrimination.

Worst place to work. No consistency or discipline. Rules always changing. Very stressful work environment. Rules only applied to white Canadians not to immigrants. Languages other than English was spoken on ship floor, made for communication barriers and disrespectful if English is your only language. HR or management did nothing about it. Management and HR favored immigrants and there was no discipline towards them

Jobs at Boart Longyear

See more jobs

Great company

Great company. Great benefits. Friendly work environment. They had to cut employees because of falling market. I would like to work for them till retirement

Pros

great benefits

Cons

massive cut due to falling market

travel across canada

Boart longyear takes care of their employees, accomadations, salary, benefits. Safety is a big priority with Boart. i was very pleased with their employment.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

Seasonal work

Bonne compagnie

Compagnie qui vas de l'avant avec de bon equippement .

A good company to work for

I enjoyed my expeirence with boart. Till I just couldn't go underground anymore. If you work your butt off you will advance and can make decent purse change.

I truly enjoyed working for boart longyear. I felt like the coworkers were family. The equimpment was also great to operate. Thanks boart for the opertunaty.

I had experience. Showed the initiative. Got the job.

Stay sober and clean. Prove to urself you can do the job. Have good mind set. Keep a good relationship with ur family. B urself. Make sure your able to work 84 hours a week. Injoy everyday cause u never know u might see a herd of muskots

Was great until the job actually started

They are a decent paying company, but when it came time to actually get the equipment and supplies needed to do the work they took forever to get the ball rolling. They also did not pay me on time several times, along with paying semi monthly which was super confusing.

Very good

Enjoyed working for them it was challenging and the management was very cool to work with and would like to have the experience in working in a bigger opportunity like vale

good drilling company. has gone down in the last few years

boart longyear is a good place for drillers to get started. the training is very good and you can move up in drilling quickly. unfortunately there isnt much oppertunity to get much higher than that. the wages are pretty good. the benefits are very good.most of the work force gets along very well and the company has a good reputation. the work is hard but worth the money. the companies biggest concern is safety which is a good thing. i have been working for boart longyear for eight years and counting and in that time have received a fair amount of training. i feel though that in order to advance my career now it will have to be at a different company. it is a shame but there isn't much more room for advancement. there is a good safety culture there and a good group of people ther. for this reason i would tell anyone to apply to the company

Amazing

Amazing company helps you to move foward and gain abilities

Great company with amazing team

A great company with an amazing team. Loved the flexibility. Everybody is nice and helpful. I hope to find a job in a company with similar environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boart Longyear. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement