Boart Longyear Employee Reviews

Excellent work environment
Export Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 March 2018
Very respectful people, nice work environment, they help you to grow in the company and try to keep their employees. I was very happy and proud of being working for them. Unfortunately they started saving too much on employees and closed some locations in Canada, they moved my position to USA where the headquarter is.
Pros
Free lunches, help employees to grow in the company
Good company for advancement
Driller (Former Employee) –  Peru, Brazil, Greece and Zambia7 February 2018
I worked for Boart Longyear awhile back I think that the company has good wages ,bonus system and a good benefit package. I definitely think that the equipment and tool's are there for the driller's and helper's are good to go. Lot's of part's to repair all that is on the rig.
Pros
Camp's and food ( Great )
Cons
Superviser's sometime favor eastern driller's
Worked very long hours
Diamond Driller Assistant Surface & Underground (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON25 January 2018
Boart Longyear is a fair company to work for. they have ok benefits and also they will pay overtime, the issue i have is the long ours and how supervisors treat the employees.
Pros
overtime pay
Cons
miss management
Not the best company out there
Underground Diamond Drill Operator (Former Employee) –  Canada10 January 2018
I found Boart Longyear to be a challenging employer to work for. The benefits were decent but the bonus system was not. There was also quite a bit of favoritism towards employees of French decent. Not a very inclusive work place at all. Big company though with contracts all over.
good company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  McArthur Lake, SK8 December 2017
company has always treated me good. Gave me the chance to move up in the company. Has kept me working for over 10 years and gave me lots of training. Well liked.
Pros
good work
Productive and safe working enviroment
Diamond Driller Helper (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 October 2017
Overall it was a good experience, work was hard and dirty but its easy to push through to complete the task on hand. very mentally challenging and you have to be constantly thinking of things to do to improve efficiency, constantly wearing proper PPE and work safely
Pros
Free room and board, good pay, great benefits
Cons
Out of town
life at boart
Driller's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON29 September 2017
wasn t for a 38 year old man I couldn t do the job well as an assistant driller and I didn t enjoy anything about it I, I just needed to work and thought I could do it but I was not quick enough
Company that is working on improvments and restructuring
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2017
I have worked for this company for ten years, keeping me busy but mostly short term contracts and no schedule. I believe the safety culture for this company has improved over the years and is now in the top of its class. Communication throughout the company has been very good. Only complaint would be no schedule due to short term projects but again, they keep me busy.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Schedule
fun place to work
Diamond driller (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON30 August 2017
had a limited time of employment with the company
great benefit package
learned to utilize the various drills
safe environment
met some great drillers
great accommodations and food while in the field
Pros
bonus
Cons
working night shift
Large company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Global29 August 2017
Very large company which has many benefits: new machinery, good tooling, etc. However like with most large companies the management is disconnected from what the company does to earn money
Good Company To Work For
Underground Diamond Driller Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 August 2017
• Moving drill from one setup to another
• Setting up drill, decking and other related equipment
• Setting casing
• Mixing drill mud
• Handling drill rods and core tubes
Easy once you get the hang of it
Driller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 August 2017
Well you dont know what kind of a day your going to have. Some days go better than others. Hardest part of the job was trying to talk over the sound of the drill. Most enjoyable part was the sound of the drill.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long shifts, weather, isolation
Good if your a teenager
Machinist (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 April 2017
Terribly disorganized employees leaving plant at their leisure actually leaving property on company time. Male and female employees disappearing into woman's change rooms and other discreet locations to do what ??? Smokers taking breaks at anytime and all the time. More like a high school than a professional mining company.
Pros
Do what you want attitude. Cellphone useage no problem during work.
Cons
No future with these attitudes
good people to work with
EHS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hailybury Ontario19 April 2017
Got my start in the safety field at Boart. Had a lot of fun learning the safety world. Management was great and supportive. Would go back if drilling ever gets busy again.
American Priorities
BUYER/ PLANNER SMALL CELL ASSEMBLY (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON17 March 2017
a very American company with little respect for Canadian work ethic or values. work life balance is doesn't exist. but the money is alright - much better if you are union.
Friendly and safe environment
Export Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 January 2017
Busy work schedule. Has to be multitasking and problem solving oriented. Colleges are friendly and supportive. Sometimes too much time spent on reports.
Pros
Good benifits
good place to work when there is work
Exploration Diamond Driller (Former Employee) –  Bissett, MB20 January 2017
great pay when there is a contract when things get tuff boart use you as they please not a good career job they will demote you from driller to helper when there is shortage of work
Pros
great pay and
Cons
unstable work poor managemant
Productive learning experience
Equipment Operator / Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
I found Boart longyear an enjoyable place to work. It was a great learning experience for me.The employees and management i found to be helpful and enjoyable to work with. the company is large with a personel feel. I would like to work for them again
exiting
Diamond Driller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 January 2017
This WA my first real job. Right out of high school. I started at 18 and continued until I was 44. The work was not conducive to my health anymore. They were good to work for.
Pros
the bush
Awsome place to work
Driller (Former Employee) –  Snap lake N.W.T15 June 2016
Boartlongyear provided me and my family with a great way to move up in the world.
They gave me the training to work safe and return home after every shift, they also had a really good benefits, witch come in handy .
The economy has crashed and as forced boartlongyear to lay me and other co-workers off causing my to venture in a new carrier.
Pros
paid travel
Cons
long time away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boart Longyear. Our community is ready to answer.