Boart Longyear Employee Reviews

drilling company
Forklift Operator and Machinist (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON13 July 2018
worked here for 8 years and progressed through many jobs.
loud environment and many people working at once with machines that never stop. Management always keep an eye on production and set targets daily.
Pros
good wage
Cons
shift rotation
New Worker that got hurt
Labourer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2018
Definitely didn't have a good experience here. Got a Repetitive strain from doing the same thing over and over each day with drilling. Supervisors and management treated me poorly. till I quite my job. (there is no standing around with this job)
Pros
Pay is good if your a hard worker.
Cons
didn't have any work breaks
good experience
LONGHOLE DRILLER (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON15 June 2018
line up, set up and drill according to print, follow standing operating procedure, work out of town a lot and not much notice on when your going or leaving
Pros
training
Cons
schedule, out of town
fun place to work - great people
Warehouse Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON25 May 2018
Great place to work ! awesome supervisor - this warehouse was right up my alley - Reach - forklift - computer - Inventory control. Like any business we had some room for improvement and with my experience I was very eager to turn things around as we were a bit overwhelmed . Sadly only 7 months after I started, the corporation decided to close our warehouse in Bracebridge and open a larger one 2 hours north of us . They did offer us all jobs there but it was just too far a move with family and all . I understand the reasoning and will move on .
Great Company
Millwright (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 April 2018
Massive, well known company to work for. Room for growth if the attitude is there.
Not a high stress environment. Safe work zones with high attitude for safety.
Excellent work environment
Export Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 March 2018
Very respectful people, nice work environment, they help you to grow in the company and try to keep their employees. I was very happy and proud of being working for them. Unfortunately they started saving too much on employees and closed some locations in Canada, they moved my position to USA where the headquarter is.
Pros
Free lunches, help employees to grow in the company
Good company for advancement
Driller (Former Employee) –  Peru, Brazil, Greece and Zambia7 February 2018
I worked for Boart Longyear awhile back I think that the company has good wages ,bonus system and a good benefit package. I definitely think that the equipment and tool's are there for the driller's and helper's are good to go. Lot's of part's to repair all that is on the rig.
Pros
Camp's and food ( Great )
Cons
Superviser's sometime favor eastern driller's
Worked very long hours
Diamond Driller Assistant Surface & Underground (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON25 January 2018
Boart Longyear is a fair company to work for. they have ok benefits and also they will pay overtime, the issue i have is the long ours and how supervisors treat the employees.
Pros
overtime pay
Cons
miss management
Not the best company out there
Underground Diamond Drill Operator (Former Employee) –  Canada10 January 2018
I found Boart Longyear to be a challenging employer to work for. The benefits were decent but the bonus system was not. There was also quite a bit of favoritism towards employees of French decent. Not a very inclusive work place at all. Big company though with contracts all over.
good company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  McArthur Lake, SK8 December 2017
company has always treated me good. Gave me the chance to move up in the company. Has kept me working for over 10 years and gave me lots of training. Well liked.
Pros
good work

Want to know more about Boart Longyear?

Ask a question
Productive and safe working enviroment
Diamond Driller Helper (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 October 2017
Overall it was a good experience, work was hard and dirty but its easy to push through to complete the task on hand. very mentally challenging and you have to be constantly thinking of things to do to improve efficiency, constantly wearing proper PPE and work safely
Pros
Free room and board, good pay, great benefits
Cons
Out of town
life at boart
Driller's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON29 September 2017
wasn t for a 38 year old man I couldn t do the job well as an assistant driller and I didn t enjoy anything about it I, I just needed to work and thought I could do it but I was not quick enough
Company that is working on improvments and restructuring
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2017
I have worked for this company for ten years, keeping me busy but mostly short term contracts and no schedule. I believe the safety culture for this company has improved over the years and is now in the top of its class. Communication throughout the company has been very good. Only complaint would be no schedule due to short term projects but again, they keep me busy.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Schedule
fun place to work
Diamond driller (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON30 August 2017
had a limited time of employment with the company
great benefit package
learned to utilize the various drills
safe environment
met some great drillers
great accommodations and food while in the field
Pros
bonus
Cons
working night shift
Large company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Global29 August 2017
Very large company which has many benefits: new machinery, good tooling, etc. However like with most large companies the management is disconnected from what the company does to earn money
Good Company To Work For
Underground Diamond Driller Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 August 2017
• Moving drill from one setup to another
• Setting up drill, decking and other related equipment
• Setting casing
• Mixing drill mud
• Handling drill rods and core tubes
Easy once you get the hang of it
Driller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 August 2017
Well you dont know what kind of a day your going to have. Some days go better than others. Hardest part of the job was trying to talk over the sound of the drill. Most enjoyable part was the sound of the drill.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long shifts, weather, isolation
Good if your a teenager
Machinist (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 April 2017
Terribly disorganized employees leaving plant at their leisure actually leaving property on company time. Male and female employees disappearing into woman's change rooms and other discreet locations to do what ??? Smokers taking breaks at anytime and all the time. More like a high school than a professional mining company.
Pros
Do what you want attitude. Cellphone useage no problem during work.
Cons
No future with these attitudes
good people to work with
EHS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hailybury Ontario19 April 2017
Got my start in the safety field at Boart. Had a lot of fun learning the safety world. Management was great and supportive. Would go back if drilling ever gets busy again.
American Priorities
BUYER/ PLANNER SMALL CELL ASSEMBLY (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON17 March 2017
a very American company with little respect for Canadian work ethic or values. work life balance is doesn't exist. but the money is alright - much better if you are union.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boart Longyear. Our community is ready to answer.