Boardwalk

Boardwalk Employee Reviews

My experience was not great

Depends where you work. The managers in my office were fantastic and easy to talk to. However the managers up at head office, it was a different story. They make poor choices and change things up, only to revert back to the old ways a year or so later. We felt like we were constantly having to justify our position with the company and that we could be laid off at any moment. We spoke up and made any concerns we had heard but no change was made. When I started with the company it was “work life balance”. However when I left they had changed it to “work life integration”. I’ve seen them lay off good workers who gave that company over ten years of their life. They don’t reward their employees as they claim to and I am very happy to have moved on.

Pros

My direct co-workers were amazing people

Cons

Poor pay, no work life balance

Easy Work, Horrible atmosphere

The system in place for orders is straight forward, easy job. however be prepared to be treated like an incompetent child. A problem worker with no accountability creates unnecessary friction between employees.While management is fully aware of the situation, nothing is done. If you have high value knowledge and experience, let alone a good work ethic, it doesn’t matter.The main goal is clocking in and clocking out.Possess information that could make the job more efficient? Don’t bother , like an old dog who refuses to learn new tricks. Bringing up anything with send you to the dog house.

Cons

Toxic environment, No value in employees

Don’t expect any training or support Forget about personal time

No support, no education, no life-work balance, even though you are told at first that it is a company’s priority. Horrible hours!!!! You are expected to work 10+ hours a day and plus to be on call 4 days a week. Yes, overtime is paid, but it is impossible to keep up with an amount of work, at least at the site I was working at( over 400 apartments) If your personal life is important to you- I won’t recommend you to start with Boardwalk

Pros

Big discount for live-in managers

Cons

Everything else

Great Work Atmosphere

Great leadership and a sense of family within the company. Fantastic opportunity to meet new people constantly. Lots of trust and autonomy. Many reports keep everything on track and everyone informed.

Great company to work for!

Boardwalk is really an amazing company to work for. They support a great team atmosphere. They offer a lot of free staff and family events as well as free events for residents! They support you with all the tools and training needed to be successful and compensation is fair.

Pros

team lunches, free events, fun culture, educational opportunities.

Company needs to retrain or hire new competent managers

My experience in this company was mixed. From the interviews up until the orientation day, everything went well and I was thrilled to be a part of this company that boasts about goodness and golden rule and making a difference in their industry. However as soon as I received my laptop, everything went downhill from there, it’s like I was set up to fail. My laptop didn’t work properly and suffice it to say that this did not help me get set up properly in working from home and created a bad impression to my manager and work colleagues. Further to this, some people who are in middle management position (lead/manager) need to be trained on their leadership, people and communication skills so they are able to train and onboard their new staff properly. They can make or break the positive company culture that the CEO and higher management are working hard for.

Pros

Nice co-workers

Cons

Bad management, low salary, unrealistic expectations

Accountant

Under paid but you don’t have to work hard. Benefits are ok the pay sucks. You can make more money driving Uber than at Bwalk. No one on the floor in the accounting department has any Canadian education. Everyone there has foreign degrees/diplomas

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Pay, benefits, advancement

Great place to work and learn property management

If property management is your calling, Boardwalk is the place to consider. There's multiple opportunities in Edmonton to start a career and move up on the ladder. Considering there's lots of departments (office staff, admin, special projects, landscaping, maintenance, plumbing, electrical, pest control), there's lots of options. ALso, you can transfer between departments, or properties (in order to reduce the commute to work). The team is a fun group of people, competitive and easy to work with. If you like dealing with people, working in an office is a great place to start, learn the business and then consider moving up towards a management position. The pay is fair, the benefits are much better than a lot of other companies, there's profit sharing (a nice bonus if the company does well each year).

Pros

Team building events, profit sharing, grace days, great benefit package

Cons

There's busy stretches (especially in the summer) during the peak rental season.

Fantastic Team Collaboration

I have worked for Boardwalk for the last three years now and it's a family environment where everyone is working together to achieve an end goal, you will also see everyone from Priniciple Coordinator to Management working together to produce a quality rental community to call home..

Pros

Boardwalk Family Connections

Cons

Improves your personality :)

Fun place to work and grow as a person

I have worked at boardwalk for 5 years and while it certainly has things to work on, like any company, I have found it an amazing place to work. It really does take a huge team of people to get suites ready for move in day and sites to be at their best. And the time schedule can be difficult to get used to, but in saying that, most of the people who work here- staff and management alike- are always willing to help out, answer questions and solve problems with you. Those who succeed here-not just advance but are respected in their current roles- are the ones who are willing to go the extra mile for their coworkers and who make personal connections. Because what we do in our singular job is so connected to everybody else's jobs and successes teamwork isn't just encouraged, but vital. This is the kind of environment I thrive in and have made many impactful relationships.The management team specifically is approachable and personable. In my experience if you are honest and speak up about your needs/problems they will go to great lengths to help you and see that you get what you need.The work/life relationship at boardwalk is really great. I have never recieved negative feedback for needed time off for sick kids, appointments, or holidays. Even at Halloween, I have two children, the staff really comes together to make sure people with plans can leave at 4:30(being on the last day of the month it falls on our busiest and most stressful day where overtime is occasionally needed). The rental sector is a fast paced working environment out of necessity which can be stressful, -

Pros

Great coworkers, challenging(depending on the day) management are people first and bosses second

Cons

Challenging(depending on the day), some of the work wear can get pretty hot, when there's a time crunch it can be hard to remember everyone is doing their best high

Jobs at Boardwalk

See more jobs

Company with Values

Fast paced and fulfilling work with a great company. Management encourages learning and growth while committed to keeping a work/family balance. Fun monthly contests and great benefits. Make no mistake, you will need to work hard. If you love people and helping others, this is the place for you.

Pros

Great benefits, supportive leaders

Cons

Not for the lazy type

Always feel like part of the family

Working for the last 4 years. Always felt part of the team and get appreciated for the work done . Of course, work is stressful full and there are lots to do. But at the end of the day you will feel accomplished and go home happy with the work culture here.

Pros

Career growth, acceptance and always appreciated for the work completed

Cons

Salaried jobs might end up working extra hours.

Amazing Team and Opportunities to Grow

Approaching my 15-year anniversary with Boardwalk, I am genuinely delighted each day to work alongside such amazing people. The diversity of our team creates an environment rich with ideas, energy and growth, where we respect everyone’s unique talents and share our knowledge to support each other’s success. Each of our Associates adds tremendous value to our team, and I feel incredibly blessed to be part of the Boardwalk Family.

Pros

Incredible team building events, opportunities to learn new skills, fantastic benefits

Fast pace with a fun atmosphere

I really enjoy working for Boardwalk. The staff are great, the leaders are kind and always available to help. The best part of my job is the awesome associates I work with daily.

Engaging environment, many exciting and innovative projects, great people

Great culture, leadership is supportive and the family-based values the company began with decades ago can still be seen and experienced today.Every business team is interested in improving the way they operate and look to service areas like IT to support and guide that transformation via technology and process optimization. With all the interest in projects, it can lead to a large number of requests, but nothing some prioritization and expectation management can't resolve. The organization takes a keen interest in listening to their associates via surveys etc. to garner input so changes can be made to improve employee satisfaction.

Pros

Exciting projects, hunger for innovation and optimization of existing processes and technology

Cons

None at this point

Disgusting management

Not a place to work withManagers are all in human specially the hr department Short of employees But they can afford to hire to much bossesTermination on site

Pros

Free strees

Hostile place to work

Horrible place to work! Manager yelling at workers, no communication, workers always arguing, yelling at each other. Upper management didn't seem to care about its workers. Many other departments always complaining about their jobs and management.

Pros

Cons

Lack of leadership with Management. Horrible coworkers.

Terrible!

If you can find any jobs elsewhere, go for it! Very stressful work environment and low pay. The management is terrible and they have extremely unreal expectations. They do not care about you at all! There is no communication and way too much work on one person. The balance between work and life they mention to you is absolutely a lie! Also your job is never secure, but If you know how to make your leaders happy you will do well even you don't know what you are doing. Wouldn't recommend to work for this company at all.

Unless you have zero disire to go anywhere in life

It's a constant pressure to produce and if you are good, it will never be good enough . Definitely an advantage if you know other languages, as English is not the main language spoken. Don't try to be innovative, the people above you may think your smart and then gaslight you. Overall on paper it seemed like a great job , just very hard to become part of the team, and culture

Pros

Many washrooms to use

Cons

You work and boardwalk

A place that you can enjoy working

Job is having fun all day just enjoy working each other, and sharing ideas. Boardwalk is a nice place to work that you can enjoy. This is a good choice for retirement. Thanks

Would recommend

Love working for boardwalk. It is fun and comfortable. Management is what makes me stay with this company. Wage is not too bad too. Diverse and competitive work environment

Pros

Good management

Cons

Weekends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boardwalk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement