BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Disappointment at every level
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2018
The only hope someone could have working at BMO bank is to be hired as a customer service rep and move up the ranks.
If you come from the outside and are dropped into a position such as Financial Planner you will find the environment overly bureaucratic. If you grow up there you wont notice.
The money also fell short of what they said it would be.
There is something broken about the culture of the place. Trust amongst colleagues and management is minimal.
I attended a meeting where a VP of one group proceeded to trash his own people... none of whom were in attendance. It was a positively shocking display from someone with a VP title.

That someone who rose to that level with those qualities speaks volumes about what is wrong with Bank of Montreal.

Oh, and the benefit package was the worst i had ever seen.
Pros
Leave work early and no one says anything
Cons
Everything else
Uptown cage
Employee (Current Employee) –  Uptown cage27 April 2018
Micromanage by supevisor and operational manager. Everything is beeing watch like a hawk.... training is not really good. Ones you are trained you are on youw own.
Pros
Good benefit and vacation pay
Cons
No overtime pay
It's who you know, not what you know
Specialist, Personal Lending (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 April 2018
Promotions are based on networking skills, not an ability to perform the task. This leads to people being promoted into fields they are not qualified for (especially in management) and people lacking basic skills to complete their jobs. Teams are often supported by a few people who carry the load for the others.
Pros
Free cookie on employee appreciation day
Cons
Lack of training for employees
challenging and rewarding place to work, amazing people.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON26 April 2018
- HR/ audit and compliance were the biggest part of my day
- the most enjoyable component is playing a part in the development and advancement of my employees
- I really enjoyed the client interactions and being able to make a difference in their lives.
- the most difficult component was HR.
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2018
Good place to work. Bit behind in the technology side. Good management and job security. Good work life balance. Chances of advancement are limited. Overall good place to work.
productive an fun working place
Snr.Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 April 2018
The location I worked at was at Eaton center, so its the heart of downtown. My team occasionally scheduled a team lunch which helped to build a good working relationship.

I had one to one meeting with my manager every week to ensure we were on the same page.
Pros
coffee machine with lots of varieties and a well equipped kitchen
Cons
You have to come early inorder to get a work space
Excellent work environment
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2018
BMO ensure their contract staff have the appropriate tools in order to get the job done. Contractors are treated with respect and treated as well as te full time employees
Made Life long friends
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2018
I always dreamed about working at the bank so when the position came up and I got it, I was ecstatic. I was so excited because I had tried for so long to get into that industry and I finally did. Loved the training, it was great. Loved my co-workers and to this day we have still stayed in contact since I left the place. The only downside was the pay was so low that I was actually getting more and more into debt. My pay as a teller wasn't covering my bills and I didn't have much(rent, car payment and tv) I ended up canceling tv and I was barely making it. I shopped once a month and tried to get that going till I run out. In the end I had to look for something so I could catch up with my bills and still worked at the bank part time. Came tax time I would have to pay back money despite the extra $50 I would take off from full time job.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
long hours, low pay
Senior Service Reprsentative
Senior Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2018
 Hold full accountability in conducting daily collateral trades, as well as processing fund switches, redemption and releases of certificate, nominee and assigned mutual fund units
 Keenly determine problems on operations through ethical procedures and professional judgment
 Efficiently handle close loan task, new collateral set-up and service request processing, as well as audit and reconciliation activities in adherence to set-forth priorities and deadlines
 Perform thorough investigation and provide prompt resolutions and recommendations to senior team members regarding complex issues on internal business partner and external customer inquiries, business process efficiency and quality control in existing procedures
It can be a frustrating job
Customer Relations Specialist (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 April 2018
Not the worst place to work, you can move up if you are good with your managers, even if they are not so good to you. Other co-workers make it fun. Good benefits
excellent learning experience
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  1111 olympic way16 April 2018
In my time working for jw research I was able to hone my sales and marketing skills along with getting management experience. The management team was very helpful with making sure I had all the help I needed.
Administrative and Operational
Commercial Support Officer Bank (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2018
worked with BMO at the start of my career, this company is a great place to begin Financial services career. BMO is a more technology focused bank from the big 5. It has a great deal of agility and technical depth and knowledge to roles.
Good learning environment
Everyday Banking Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2018
Good learning environment, positive work culture and supportive management. Decent scope of growing within the organisation. The management doesn't put employees under pressure.
Personal Banking and Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  hamilton14 April 2018
productive and fun, BMO takes it's commitments to employees seriously. The only issue ive had is lack of working hours available. Otherwise a great place to work.
fun and accomodating
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 April 2018
excellent management team. People seem to genuinely care about their peers and the customers. Helps to build and grow within the team and has constant support.
high stress work environment but can be fun if the team is good
Financial Services Manager, Tier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 April 2018
A typical day at work includes at least 8 to 10 client appointments.
The branch work is highly focused on sales as well as providing excellent service to clients.
work culture is casual, most people are friendly and 2 or 3 people would have lunch around the same time.
Hardest part of the job is to make sure one meets the banks sales targets without hurting the clients.
It can also be hard to provide excellent service when you get a difficult client and you are unable to bend the rules.
Most enjoyable part of my job was forming long time relationships with clients, whereby they eventually became like friends.
Pros
develop great customer skills and relationships
Cons
Meeting sales targets
Good Way to Open the Door for a Job in the Financial Sector
Customer Service Representative (Teller) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 April 2018
I found management to be very competent. I did not have any problems with other staff and the training you receive for the job does not leave you feeling like you have just been left on your own.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Underpaid
professional environment
Registrations Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2018
- people are nice
- in our department, we get half a day off before the long weekend
- good benefits
- no limit on sick days; when you are sick, you're sick
wonderful company to work for
SENIOR LEARNING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2018
There are so many opportunities for advancement within the bank. The people are intelligent, eager and extremely helpful. The Institute for Learning is world-class and a learning professional's dream work environment.
Fun Place to be
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2018
Preparing daily and monthly Reports
Reviewing works of support staff
Not much interaction with Senior Management
Nice and comfortable.
Learning new systems and technical stuff
Financial reviews and analysis
Pros
Good place to work at
Cons
Glass Ceilings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.