BMO Financial Group

Canada47 reviews

Found 47 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,682 reviews
montrealbankbankingfinancialbranchtargettorontocentre

Good

Competitive environment. Had to meet sales targets. Quite competitive. Fast paced work environment with a lot of teamwork and collaboration with colleagues.

Excellent Bank to work

I thoroughly enjoyed my 6 years of work life balance with BMO financial groups . Also I really acquired lots of memorable experiences of customer relationships.

Pros

Interactive learning, annual get together, annual sports day meet

Cons

To be honest no complains

Insights into BMO Financial Group

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Transition from Contract employee to permanent

I have worked for the company for over 2 years as a contract worker, they were going to transition me to a permanent position but offered me much less than I was making on contract and were unwilling to meet what I was currently making on contract which showed me that they are not looking to reward people for their hard work. I find it a place that is poorly managed and always looking to save money where they can but do so in the wrong way. Its unfortunate as the people working there are nice people and I like my job but their technology and management really bring the company down

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Technology can be an issue as support desk is awful and remote connections arent always reliable

Busy and also productive and enjoyable place to work

Working for Bank of Montreal is a learning experience everyday. Besides providing service customers with their banking needs, there are a lot of paper work that has to be completed .. like scanning, filing, customer request that has to be completed and follow up, answering the phones and returning those phone calls. You can do this only when it is a quiet day or after the Bank closes. I do not believe in selling stuff to customer just to get revenue. I look at the customer and their financial situation and then provide them with the information that could benefit them. It is up to them to make that decision to proceed. I Know Management gets told from the higher ups that they have to increase revenue and strive to be the number one bank but I always tell them that you can only do so much with the person in front of you. The workplace can be a very happy place when you have staff members who help each other and cooperate with each other. When I learn something new, I am happy to share it with others so that they can also be successful. In the 40years with the Bank, I have learned a lot and I am happy to share my knowledge with the old and the new staff. The hardest part of the job is trying to achieve your sales target. It is so difficult when you see the same people everyday I cannot understand why the bank has sales target. We are supposed to be the to help customers and provide the best customer service that we can. In doing so, customers refer their friends and families to the bank because we were there to help them, Also have a rude customer who thinks the -

Pros

Having Management say thank you for doing a good job ever so often, standing up for you when you have that rude customer.

Cons

All the others work that has to be done that does make it a long day.

Bmo

Customer service representative- working with clients, catering to their needs and necessities, working in a fast paced environment and efficiency is important.

Overall food

Good management work life.working culture is good with many opportunities to grow yourself further.Been with Bmo for more than 3 yrs and found it very competitive culture driven organizations

Stressful - Bad management

It's stressful to be dealing with a lot of customers, most of them some times are rude, but the micro management doesn't help at all. Always demanding more tasks and responsibilities but the same payment.

Terrible Manager.

The location I worked which was in London, Ongaeio was brutal. My branch manager was terrible, not sure how she advanced to a BM position. My Assistant Branch Manager was much better. BM was very sexist, and always complained about her outside life and makes judgement between men and women. Worked in a few other branches and their BM were alot better. Some BM's will help you for success.

great time but stressful

Lots of tragets to hit that can feel like you have zero control over. people I work with are great and they try their best with what their manager gives them

I had such a great time working for BMO. My only desappointment is about the very low pay. CSRs are very important for this business, but not well compensated.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

Low pay

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BMO Financial Group?

Bmo dowtown

Very professional and high level of time and money invested on new hires. They really know how to do their job and willing to do anything to have a good brand image.

Pros

Good manager and work culture

Not representative of the entire company but certainly specific locations

Expect to take on duties beyond your position which you won't be compensated or acknowledged for. I learned to rely on myself expecting very little in terms of true teamwork. High levels of nepotism and in-group cliques; Bordering on high school level of social dynamics. Hesitant to recognize their top performers but demanding of ever-escalating results. Some members of management, not all, will listen to your ideas, reject them and then present them as their own a few weeks or months later. The hardest part of the job was watching others who accomplished less be promoted and being prevented from moving up within my skillset and education while they protected and promoted others who were less qualified or lacking necessary qualifications for various roles. The most enjoyable part of the job was the end of the day; no longer having to interact with those who would dump their work on you and then criticize and ridicule you for not doing their work on top of your own.

Pros

Some great people

Cons

A culture of stagnancy posturing as dynamic

It met my expection somehow.

Good place to work. Benefits are good. No advancement. Very busy and fast paced. Nice location. Nice work physical set up. IT support is good. Good working hours.

Great place to work, terrible pay

The hours are great, co-workers are great and customers are pretty darn nice too . The management is okay. They work with you to a point, for the Work/Life balance, but staff is always short there (due to level of pay). BMO has different hourly pay for each area you work in, for example, Niagara is the lowest start rate being $1 above minimum wage, then you go to Hamilton you receive a higher rate, to Burlington even higher, Mississauga even more etc. We all do the same work, cost of living in Niagara isn't too far off from Hamilton so this pay scale doesn't make sense. Other financial institutions pay more in Niagara, at least $2 more an hour.

Pros

Great business hours

Cons

Terrible pay in the Niagara region, not up there with the other financial institutions

Healthy working environment with extremely supportive colleagues.

Great place to work at and there's lots of opportunities for advancement in your career, especially if you are looking to go towards the financial sector.

Pros

Management is very encouraging and supportive

Cons

Working hours are not too flexible

great for entry level positions to advance

excellent balance of work, learn lots of different banking systems and how they interact with each other management is helpful and pleasant to work with corporate environment with fun family vibe social committee events make it a fun place to work make sure not to stay in one position more than 18 months as the incentive and bonus decrease.

Pros

flexible schedule

Working for BMO has been the worst experience

Only work here if you enjoy being abused by customers and superiors alike. BMO constantly pressures its employees to apply dubious sales tactics in order to achieve aggressive sales targets.

Pros

Free Banking

Cons

Terrible hours, low pay, dubious sales tactis

Average workplace.

It is an average workplace. Nothing to learn that I have not learned from previous work experiences. Nothing exceptional or awesome or motivational for ordinary employees. The pay is within the industry's average level.

Terrible management

From constant turnovers of bad manager after bad manager, to a dismal and depressing work environment where no one communicates with anyone else, this is an awful place to work. Unless you are a favourite of the managers and francophone, you can forget about any kind of promotion.

Cons

Desperately need better management

Typical bank

Typical banking environment. We had a great team so it was fun to go to work. We had good systems to be able to get our work done properly. Overall, it was a good experience.

Loosing job after 8 years and being too old

Don't try and ask for more money, your service means nothing. Find another field, banking isnt always a great way to make a living for a woman. I worked in the mortgage department handling the legal papers from different lawyers. Verifying and inputting data, and retrieving missing information. 5 managers in 5 years too much turn overs, no consistency. Hardest part of job was working in French culture and speaking french all day, exhausting. Most enjoyable part of job, baking cakes the for birthdays.

Pros

Close to home

Cons

Early retirement with no income @ 59

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement