BMO Financial Group

Finance Manager131 reviews
Canada131 reviews

Found 131 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,682 reviews
montrealbankbankingfinancialbranchtargettorontocentre

High expectations for little pay

After 8 years at BMO I left, no exit interview, no call, nothing! Felt even more validated when I left as a top performer and no one seemed to really care. You’re a number there, just like the customers. Management is very clicky and you’ll get ahead if you are friends with the right people, otherwise you’re stuck in a branch with very little room for improvement or pay increases. While the bank made billions they explained “we do not give cost of living raises” while being expected to talk to your investment clients about the increasing cost of living! Have seen many top colleagues I worked alongside of also leave BMO for better opportunities. A reason why they’re rarely at the top, don’t care enough about supporting their staff and paying them a fair wage.

Pros

Met a lot of really great people/friends along the way

Cons

No overtime or flex pay, but the culture is to work over your salaries hours, mandatory call nights to try and drum up business, often went unpaid.

Productive and fun working place

It really depends on the location and working environment you are in. Mostly the BMO culture drives you to be corporative, and not extremely competitive.Overall recommended.

Insights into BMO Financial Group

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Don't work here

Terrible work environment. Management never helps you. You make 40 cold calls a day minimum and if you can't get people at home (which you can't), you're forced to call them at work. That always goes over well. You have to try to sell customers 3 products every time they come in for one thing. If you don't sell them on 2 products you get yelled at. You must have at least 4 customers a day even when you're new.

Pros

Hour paid lunch

Cons

Terrible management, unpaid overtime, Lots of cold calls

Was once an amazing place to work

To be fair, I have not worked there in a few years now but the reason I left has not changed and all those that I know that are still there agree. BMO used to be all about customer experience and find a product that fit the need for a client, this was the case for the first 3 years I worked there and it was an amazing work environment that gave good bonuses for good work. All that changed and it became target central while pushing clients to do online banking, they started with the mandatory cold call nights and every day was stressful with a demand for how you were going to make your targets without regard for what the client really needed... sell sell sell and who cares what happens to the client in the meantime. Bonuses were cut or severely diminished because targets were raised and branch traffic was reduced and customer facing positions were reduced which makes clients upset. Sad really, they had a good thing going and then greed ruined it.

Good learning

BMO has a great learning plan for new hired positions. Good instructor, however some sale target are not realistic so pushing people at work to compete with each other which is not a healthy place to work.

nice people to work with

BMO has a human culture nevertheless there are some individuals who does not fit the pack. I loved working there before I was transferred to a different location.

Great training

Great learning experience .great training but turn over is high therefore you need to know your........ Great team n environment but it get stressful due to high turn over and change of policies

Under staffed and under appreciated

work life balance is not easy nor is it encouraged. The benefits are the only perk to working at BMO. Leadership does not step up often, its not a great work environment.

good company

good management. nothing to complain. would work there again if given a chance. good culture. typical banking role. sales is important as usual. overall. good place.

Best company to work for

Best management , I've been with bmo for over 4 years and with all the roles I've been in I can truly say I've had the best team leaders to always guide me to the best.

Culls their workforce on a regular basis

Pros - great benefits; I was able to function on 4 roles during my years with BMO; met some really nice people and forged friendships with them Cons - Lays off branch personnel on a regular basis; Worked with some horrible people in management; Salary is below industry standard

Great start to my career

This was a great place to start my career. Lots of training and learning available. Great work/life balance. I would recommend to anyone not wanting to work in oil and gas.

Productive and fun workplace

Excellent work/ life balance Great Work Culture Love working here great boss, great people to work for excellent benefits and also get to do a lot of things outside of work (vounteering)

Old school and unproductive.

No one knows what to do. Hire associates with low pay and low to zero experience. High turnover. But good training. Make managers are good to work with as they don’t call in sick every other day.

Pros

Employee get together

Cons

Night out with family members and colleagues

Excellent work environment

Excellent work environment and work/life balance. A typical day is from 8:30 to 4:30 but on month ends you may need to stay longer, one or 2 hours. An advantage is that you can work from home.

Pros

flexible schedule, you can work from home

Don't Have much nice things to say

bad if not worse management team that I have ever worked for all through the company. staff not being trained and abused and management get away with everything, even HR doesn't help. if you come across a management issue its time to move on. faced many unethical behaviours and when spoke up I was the one got punished and isolated. this speaks volumes of banks internal culture.

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

Nice People

Typically you have the tools required to do your job, however need better training for management - staff are nice - culture can change dramatically depending on your direct manager

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

No work life balance

working with BMO

Stressful job, high demand and low pay, highest target in sales, enjoyable of the part was helping customer , hardest part was when you are not able to help customer or meet customer expectation on timely manner. no overtime payment but you need to wait late or manage your time better to be able to hit your target and complete customer and Bank expectation.

Great management team

I have been fortunate enough to work for a management team that strongly values a work-life balance. The company pays well, and values the work done by their employees.

High stress

Lots of pressure to hit sales targets and to maintain customer loyalty. Branch staff are undervalued by the company. Frequently need to stay long past close to meet deadlines.

Pros

shorter work days/bankers hours

Cons

Stress

customer service

When you can satisfy the customer needs - it makes you feel good. Also following through with a variety of questions and finding out the answers to the customer satisfaction builds trust.

Pros

Happy customers

Cons

achieving your goals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement