BMO Financial Group

Found 2,377 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,459 reviews

Amazing place to work

Featured review

BMO Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Completed 16 best years of my life working at BMO. Very understanding and appreciative management with an excellent work life balance. Would recommend BMO as a great place to work

Severely under appreciated support staff, Insulting compensation and bonus determination.

Administrative staff considered an expense because they “cost money, but didn’t make money”. But you couldn’t do our job without us and we were on call 24/7. Poor benefits unless senior staff and no opportunities for career advancement unless in Eastern province and then no financial assistance to move if you wanted to. Simply insulting compensation given the expectation to support FIVE egotistical money driven managers.Our vacation had to be planned three months in advance and then could be cancelled by any manager and a use it or lose it attitude without No opportunities for administrative advancement in Calgary, No education, no move support for support staff, We were extremely under appreciated for our efforts, below market compensation, benefits were much lower than management which we had to supplement ie. orthodontics and eye care. No health spending account unless senior level. If you wanted to attend training out of province, there was no support (only for Ontario, Quebec employees), no financial support for moving unless senior level and yet we were promised a two year career upgrade which simply wasn’t available unless you were will to move to Ontario (East). Annual bonuses were insulting given the bonuses for the managers we supported (it was their discretion). The expectation to support FIVE managers (travel, invoices, correspondence, event planning, guest relations, editing and publications) was truly just an insult. Three month notice for vacation planning and then a use-it-or-lose it attitude with no pay back.

Cons

24/7 expectation and no recognition. Insulting compensation and benefits.

Worst place to work/ You will get a mental health Issue

From work place to management it’s absolutely disgusting. I used to love BMO’s code of conduct but those are beautiful writings on papers and no one cares about them anymore!!! that is why BMO was the first financial institution in Canada but at the present it’s smaller than all other Banks. They don’t train their employees or just gives them some classes that it’s just a waste of time and most of the times leave New Hired ones to learn from daily transactions (you know what happens if you miss with customer’s money!!!) On top of that you have to learn Favouritism otherwise this is not a good place to work. Who ever you see at BMO that has reached to the top, they have to climb through the stressful situations and he/she will pass the stress to subordinates. I regret months of my time I wasted there. The manager there is really a stressful person.

Pros

Cons

All and everything

Fraud

The Fraud department is poorly managed. I would definitely not recommend this department - Unpaid overtime, hardly any recognition, unfair promotions, favourtism...

Pros

Employee shares program

Cons

Too many to list

Terrible management, pay, and treatment of staff. Extreme pressure to up-sell.

Everything about it was terrible. After being told my start date, I relocated to another province over a weekend. The start date got pushed later 3 times until it was a month late. Training was not started with the online class until 3 weeks behind. Assistant Manager wouldn’t take ownership. Thrown into the position without finishing training and treated terribly for not knowing what to do. Not given enough hours and paid barely more than minimum wage. Extreme pressure to make sales for MasterCard, Upgrade Accounts, Travel Insurance etc. I had a perfect record for customer feedback but low sales. In my 6 month employee evaluation I was reprimanded for my low sales and when I brought up my great customer service I was told by the Assistant Manager (this is a direct quote), “BMO doesn’t give a f*#% about you customer service and unless you get your sales up you won’t be around very long!” The other employee that was hired at the same time as I was quit within the first month. I stuck it out way too long, transferred to another branch believing it would be better. It was worse!

Stressful

So when I started they make you do an online course for 2 weeks. Then they just throw you to being a Teller without knowledge on how to even work the system. You are required to CONSISTENTLY ask questions. It's not like the manager or ASM sit with you and teach you how to work the system for 2-3 days or a week. You're constantly asking and required to learn on your own. One time I forgot how to replace a Debit card and was only shown once that week. Forgot to write it down too, so I ask the ASM for help and was told "I showed you how don't you remember by now?"The job really makes you insecure. A lot of favoritism. The environment overall made me anxious and depressed.

Benefits

Cons

The team

Not as good as you'd expect from BMO

Worked at the contact centre and their training was abysmal. Mentors just read processes to you without explaining them and you can tell the learning centre and training camp have no communication between them. The manager didn't speak to us until almost two months into the training period. You have to bid for your schedule with no consideration if you have kids. Barely got any practical training and they immediately made us take calls even though we didn't fully understand how to do things - watch out if you're a BMO customer because they allow us to access your accounts without proper training. No support at all.

Pros

benefits kick in as soon as you get your insurance profile up and activated

Cons

improper training (lack of), mentors and manager aren't supportive, lots of miscommunication

Lots of favoritism

At first you will feel excited especially if being a teller is new to you. Again, as a teller you are a bottom feeder and nothing else so if you want to make more money you have to climb the ladder. You will go from being a teller to perhaps a financial manager, customer service manager, assistant manager, branch manager etc. Off course this is sped up depending on who you know, not what you know. I had a supervisor that didn't know anything about their job and was only there due to brown-nosing and sales. Essentially only a sales person and made it just for that factor, with no knowledge. Circling their finger on a screen when customers asked questions, locking their computer and running off to a superior all the time to answer a customers' question. I had to work shifts I didn't want to because I was 'trusted' to do so, as I was told. Someone else received better shifts- their spouse worked at another branch so that had a lot to do with it. Most tellers are set up for failure and then when you move on ahead you still won't have knowledge. If you want to move up anywhere you have to put in the hours on your own time, as I was told. Sit in with a financial manager, for example, see the transactions and listen to conversations and take notes (all while being on your lunch break). So it all depends on how much you want to commit your free time to this job. Being a teller aka bottom-feeder, you are pretty much disrespected. The entire job is sales focused. So don't believe in 'customer' service or experience etc. The only benefit is that you aren't working night-shift. You -

Pros

Work experience

Cons

Long hours, lack of knowledge at branch level

Retired after 40 plus Years

Bmo was my work family.. from Montreal to Toronto and final stop in Vancouver. Gained a wealth of experience and life long friends over the years.

Pros

Continuous Learning

Do not work here

HORRIBLE management, too little pay for all the work you put in. Even when going above and beyond you aren’t recognized. Thank god for my amazing coworkers that help me along the way. SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND ENERGY!

Pros

Paid lunch

Jobs at BMO Financial Group

See more jobs

Don't work here

Terrible work environment. Management never helps you. You make 40 cold calls a day minimum and if you can't get people at home (which you can't), you're forced to call them at work. That always goes over well. You have to try to sell customers 3 products every time they come in for one thing. If you don't sell them on 2 products you get yelled at. You must have at least 4 customers a day even when you're new.

Pros

Hour paid lunch

Cons

Terrible management, unpaid overtime, Lots of cold calls

Too much work for so little pay

Management does not care, if you want your pay to be raised they’ll increase your target. And it’sa target that is not even reachable. They just pile a workload for you but don’t want to pay you the extra hours but must be finished at a specific deadline. Whenever they have anonymous surveys for employees, it’s not really anonymous. HR and Head Management have access. Just don’t work here.

Cons

Little pay

Cheapest bank

They hire you under contract through other agencies, where they pay you very less (15/hr for 21/hr job-$6 to the agency). They keep as in contract as much possible, through extension… so they don’t have to give us any benefits like, insurance or employee benefits.

Pros

Cons

Hectic work, normal pay on statutory holidays, no benefits, contract renewal

Horrible management, no advancement and poor benefits

The management team has been there so long that they no longer care as their job is secured and they can get away with doing absolutely nothing.They have 0 knowledge of the work that is done and are useless when you go to them for help.When it comes to advancement, they prioritize their favorites over the best candidate and sometimes even hire someone for a role without posting the position internally.As for the salary, it is lower than competitors and the way they handle raises makes it that if you have been in a department for 3 years or more, a new hire will have a salary within a couple hundred of you since you get your year-end raise and then they raise the minimum salary for the position, effectively canceling your year-end raise instead of doing it the other way around.They also gut benefits every year and find new ways to reward employees less and less.

Pros

banking experience

Cons

awful management, no advancement

Great place to interact with people!

Management is horrible they expect full time work for part time benefits. If u need to pay bills not a good place to try do so. A lot of backhanded compliments from managers, no help from other CSRs. Usually only 2-3 CSRs if you’re lucky! Workload is heavy with little time for breaks. Don’t expect to move up, not all managers will support you in doing so! Managers also make disgusting remarks about upset customers with low bank balances, very toxic work environment! If you’re looking to get experience I guess this would be a place to start.

Pros

Interacting with co workers and customers

Cons

Poor management

was very exciting place to work

Great work culture, team and colleagues were great set of people.Amazing faciility,spacious and a design excellence of the building structure. Managemnt was very helpful and understanding

Pros

Free lunches, drycleaning, benefits

Cons

Bit far away from home

Decent pay, but bad leadership

Stressful calls, and highly sales driven.First manager was great, but she left. Second manager was not nice, but the assistant manager was very helpful.

Pros

Great co-workers and overtime

Cons

Unrealistic sales targets

Do not expect to be treated as a human. As a BMO employee you are cattle

They sell you a dream during training, and then unleash you in ''the real world'', where you're expected to always give 110% for a company who could replace you tomorrow if you left. Also lots of problems with short and long term disability as the insurance company does not think of depression as enough reason to spend time off. Love yourself and do not apply there

Pros

3 week vacation

Cons

Not enough breaks & mean staff

Work is mentally draining

BMO is a good company that offers opportunities for growth. Call centre work is not for everyone, it is mentally draining. Job overall is not a hard one, if you don’t mind taking callings all day long and going through lots of processes to be in compliant.

Pros

Free parking and opportunity to grow

Cons

Pay doesn’t match workload

Good Starting Spot!

It was a good job coming in with very little experience. The environment is fast pace with lots of work to do. Schedule was flexible for my needs as I was a part time student at the time.

Pros

The people that I worked with were nice

Cons

very little down time

Would but recommend

Would not recommend working here. Profits are before their people, however they misguide you in the beginning. The company over works high achievers and simply runs them ragged. Very sad to see good people stressed out without the resources to help them. The company’s only concern is making money money money.

Pros

Cons

Hard sales targets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement