BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,689 reviews matching the search See all 1,938 reviews
A decent place with good job security and benefits
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 October 2018
BMO is a good size company that offers job security and good benefits for those who are willing and committed. The culture is ever shifting and environment is adaptive however the company is process driven. Management plays a key role in the cultural shift as new technologies and methodologies are introduced. Government regulations play a key role also in shaping the technological decisions.
Pros
good work life balance with good benefits
Cons
too many silos but not a con when working together for same goal.
Good bank and good team
Mobile Mortgage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 November 2018
The Bank of Montreal is a solid institution with a good work environment and good people. A typical day of work for me included networking, submitting mortgage applications, meeting clients, and administrative/paperwork. I learned a lot about the mortgage and housing industry during my time at BMO. There was a significant amount of turnover in Management which lent to a difficult position for employees to rely on their superiors for support and guidance. The workplace culture was quite business oriented, which is the typical nature of a large financial institution. The hardest part of the job was overcoming frequent changes within the housing and mortgage industry that affected my role. The most enjoyable part was working through those challenges and successfully booking more business.
Pros
Freedom to work remotely and travel
Cons
Long hours and unstable income
They do not care about their employees at all
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS9 February 2019
Worked there for 3.5 years, had to come in on my vacation multiple times because they didn't have anyone else trained to do my job. I was responsible for training and coaching and mentoring all new hires and was making the same amount per hour as they were. In the 3.5 years I worked there I got a .30 raise. Management is only interested in money and has zero regard for the employees who provide their services. I'd never recommend BMO as an employer.
Also almost impossible to get a promotion.
Pros
Free bank account and discounts
Cons
Being an Employee period.
a great way to start your career in the banking industry - great extensive training program Need to offer more options for work life balance
Personal Banking Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 January 2019
Need to offer more options for work life balance
Great exposure to banking industry
great benefits and good peers
Pros
great company name
Cons
culture is negative
Lackluster environment.
Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2019
Love complaining to management regarding inappropriate and sexual comments being made my co workers only to be told that you need to tread lightly when you are a contract employee.

Or needing a few days off after a family members death and having your manager remind you that you are a contract employee.

Or asking two weeks in advance that you need to take a half day because of an upcoming doctors appointment and having your manager remind you that you are a contract employee.

Horrible culture.
Pros
The cleaning staff were always great to talk with.
Cons
Controlling demeaning managers
Respectful and friendly environment
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 November 2018
- Long day in office staring on computer all day along.

- Each client experience teaches you some something new everyday, help any walking client and resolve the issue with help from management which teaches you something new.

-BMO workplace culture is good, as long as you do your job management leaves you alone.

-Procedure from approving a mortgage to finalize is too long because it goes through few different channels.

-I manage my day.
Pros
Manage my own day
Cons
Our partners are not at one stop, we have to go through few different approvals.
Overall enjoyable role because of team members.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2019
I work in a branch, its one of the busiest branches in our district. I am lucky and have very supportive managers and great team members, not the case for all branches.

For part-time pay and benefits are not great. BMO should really consider the amount of work customer service reps do and pay more and offer more benefits for part-time and full-time.
Pros
Great learning environment, build good relationships.
Cons
Long hours and a lot of work for little pay
Analyst
ANALYST, SCORECARD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2018
Good work-life balance and the co-workers are friendly. The salary is quite comparable to other companies in the same industry. However, change management can be slow and managers are comfortable to the same business process which can be quite repetitive and not efficient.
BMO - overall
Change Integration Manager, TPS (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2018
Good company to work for. Very relaxed and independent work.
A typical day includes receiving many emails and spending time responding to all of the inquiries. I love the culture at BMO and their work/life balance promotion.
Body Snatchers effect
Senior Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
Working at BMO for almost 3 years was like watching the movie from the 50's Body Snatchers.

Every week I would notice another BMO employee disappearing from his/her desk and an offshore person appearing at the same desk. This process continued to the very end until about 95% of the people on my floor and the floor above me were replaced.

BMO hires f/t employees with bad intentions as they are essentially temporary employees who are let go after just less 3 years to avoid paying them retirement benefits.
Pros
Managers are dumb
Cons
No job security
Competitive
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2018
Depending on team, work-life balance can be pretty bad. Bonuses are also dependent on whether you are a cost centre or revenue generating. Job security is similar to other banks, meaning that you are only as secure as long as you are needed.
Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance
Dubious culture - impasse for talents
IT manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2018
This review is a result of careful observations and resulting conclusion without any personal sentiments involved.

Technology groups work in silos resisting the cooperation between teams. Questionable politics and practices flourish. Promotion and high bonuses are available only to those who excel in bootlicking their incapable superiors and subjugate their subordinates as soon as they are promoted. Initiative is punished, so people avoid being too active. BMO employee survey is just a pro forma activity, as the feedback provided by surveyed individuals is never taken into account. Employees laugh at CIOs ineptitude. The most talented and promising employees leave this organization, which remains complete mostly with contractors, mediocrities, older folks and simply lazy individuals.
On the one hand BMO formally promotes a workplace free from harassment and discrimination while at the same time they cover up the workplace abuse by superiors, nepotism, and favoritism that takes place across departments.
To conclude, the BMO culture appears rather hypocritical and overall unhealthy.
BMO however can be used as a startup place for young professionals to obtain some experience and move on. It used to be a desirable place to work years back.
You're nobody unless you're generating numbers.
Retail Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2018
Simply put, you are nothing to this business unless you're giving them numbers. Past performance doesn't matter, nothing matters if you're not doing exactly what they want, when they want it.
Pros
Easy advancement
Cons
Long hours, impossible targets, toxic work culture
Good work culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2019
Good work culture, awesome offices in downtown. The pay is average/fair, chances for career growth vary largely - depending on the workgroup you are in - there are groups that are expanding/growing and hence lots of room for career growth, while others can be static.
Typical banking environment
Team Lead - CLS & FX China Operations (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 January 2019
Typical banking environment. Good benefits & job stability. Opportunity to learn. poor management. I've been exposed to multiple departments and unfortunately there is major gap in management.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Typical banking environment
A good place to work with supportive management
Associate Credit Cards (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 January 2019
BMO is a good employer for a sincere individual and I am proud to be associated with such a big bank. The best part about working in BMO is work life balance and supportive managers. We just need to approach them with the issues and they have a fix for all.
Pros
good managers
Cons
low salary
Associate Investment Advisor Review
Associate Investment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2018
The job is rewarding, but the IA on my team has a very poor work/life balance. Management is largely dependent on what team you work for. It is demanding, but can offer you a wonderful life once you are established.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor Work/Life balance
Would try another bank
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2018
It's alright, at least in my position. Gets way busier in Financial Manager position. Benefits are great, pay is less than in other banks. Management isn't consistent among branches. Standards are not consistent. Training is non-existent. Sales targets are pressuring. Hours are fine.
Amazing work culture and nice people to work with
Manager, WBPO Payments Utility Group (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2018
BMO's work culture is very open and refreshing. The office spaces are being modernized making it a pleasure to come to work each day. Management believes in transparency and ensures that all information is cascaded down
Review of BMO
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2018
Overall good place to work. Good culture and opportunities for advancement. Fair salary and treatment. Management was good and constructive. Great focus on clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.