BMO Financial Group

Found 2,397 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,480 reviews

Amazing place to work

Featured review

BMO Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Completed 16 best years of my life working at BMO. Very understanding and appreciative management with an excellent work life balance. Would recommend BMO as a great place to work

Leaders are driving digital innovation; fast pace and growth

BMO is a good place to work. Lots of employee benefits and perks. They’re working to better their recognition and increasing diversity. The Junior employees don’t have a voice tho and money is being thrown at senior employees like it’s candy = nothing left for the little guy. Lots of disagreement on responsibility and accountability between leaders. Impossible to say no to work; high expectation that you’ll work long hours.

Pros

Good pension, good technology and tools

Cons

Long hours, fast pace, little work life balance

Good place to learn about banking industry

Overall good place to start your career in banking industry. Mix of customer service and sales.Stress on meeting call time targets and sales.It can get stressful at times and will test you on how you maintain your calm n composure while speaking to irate people

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Stressful calls

only here for the money

only here for the money - work in datacenter where it smells more like an East Indian takeout place. Job requirements meet the salary, no overtime required, place is heavily overstaffed with friends of friends patronage appointments so that's good.

Pros

no overtime or pager

Cons

culture

Hectic Work No value of employees No work life balance!

Nice training provided but all theory no practical work really for a month and then threw right away on floor to practice as like learn as you go . Feel bad for customers for amature employees who mess up due to lack of training. I you have good luck and you got good manager you can survive otherwise few of my team members already got fired or left due to insane pressure. No wonder there is so much high call volume and so little staff retention policy. What a disappointment . Work is so hectic and back to back that you don't get to sip a drink in between calls. and they expect you to meet their expectations right away .If you don't have any other option you can do this job otherwise I highly recommend looking for something else! I didn't paid attention to negative reviews and left a really good job because of brand name so please don't fall into that trap.

Pros

work from home

Cons

million

Remote Cards

The bank made 0 adjustments or anticipations for the possible threats and challenges for teaching remotely, They are using outdated software for their credit cards where the screen is extremely hard to see. Their authentication is beyond complex no other bank asks the number of questions they do or have as many irrelevant questions they have.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

Lousy trainintg

It is no longer a fun place

New processes did not take the folks who has the experience and started hiring folks and finding old staff. which is in short term may be great but it will not be good for the folks who truisted.

Pros

Lot of chances to grow

Cons

Bad management

Good

Overall good. Depends who is your manager. Pay is very less compared to the work load. From CSR to PBA it’s still ok. Role is PB is very stressful compared To the pay

Proud to work at BMO

Amazing company culture, always big on learning new things.Management is very approachable and encouraging.Lots of room and opportunities for growth.

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities

Good place

Learn new conceptsGood team management Fast paced environment Good management Stressful at times Easy to commute Good benefits Scope for improvement

Relaxed, friendly but very few opportunities for advancement

Overall it was a good experience.The team I worked with was friendly and welcoming. The managers were great, but the salary was very low compared to the industry and I was not offered any incentive to stay eventhough my performance was satisfactory.I was unofficially leading a team without the title, nor salary increase, when I requested an adjustment of salary, it took months of negotiation to get a $10/hour increase while the industry standard was 20 dollar more.

Very good to their employees.

I have been working in the Montreal office for 3 years 1 year as a contractor/temporary employee and have been permanent for 2 years. They are very good to their employees. Most people will start off being hired as temporary contractors but if you do the work well show initiative and that you care about the company you have very good chances of becoming permanent . What is nice is that they treat their temporary employees the same way they treat permanent employees they make you feel just as important to the success of the company. All of the managers there are very down to earth and easy to communicate with. Although the salary is not the most competitive to start, it does go up pretty fast if you do good work.

Pros

Down to earth culture, good social benefits, employee appreciation programs, good family and work balance.

Cons

Mostly hiring on temporary/contractor basis.

Sales

Be prepared to meet sales quotas, selling credit cards and booking investment appointments were the most important part of the job. Not convinced clients’ best interests are at heart.

It's not what you think

Working the front wickets at the bank isn't glamorous and there isn't much opportunity for advancement unless you pay for extra training yourself. Most of the time you're doing deposits of cash and cheques, paying bills, and troubleshooting online issues.

Pros

great benefits that start from day one

Cons

repeatative, part time

Career advancement from a non sales position was a challenge

Company is not horrible. I feel there were more career advancements for those interested in the retail/sales division. In terms of non sales positions - I feel it felt like a hidden market to actually get a job.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

Poor Salary, out of touch with today's cost of living expenses

Productive and fun

I worked in a great group, where our jobs was to help others be more predictable, efficient, with higher quality. It was a collaborative exercise between groups. It was a great learning experience, with opportunities for those putting in the effort to get them. No, it was not crazy competitive, but showing initiative was noticed. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Pros

Benefits are quite pleasant, cohorts worked hard, we had fun.

Cons

Some corporate rationalization contractors do not know what they are doing.

Good bank wasn’t well suited for my personality

Good bank, but wasn’t a good fit for my personality and life situation at the time. But overall wasn’t a horrible working and learning experience if banking is your a passion or area of interest definitely a great workplace.

Severely under appreciated support staff, Insulting compensation and bonus determination.

Administrative staff considered an expense because they “cost money, but didn’t make money”. But you couldn’t do our job without us and we were on call 24/7. Poor benefits unless senior staff and no opportunities for career advancement unless in Eastern province and then no financial assistance to move if you wanted to. Simply insulting compensation given the expectation to support FIVE egotistical money driven managers.Our vacation had to be planned three months in advance and then could be cancelled by any manager and a use it or lose it attitude without No opportunities for administrative advancement in Calgary, No education, no move support for support staff, We were extremely under appreciated for our efforts, below market compensation, benefits were much lower than management which we had to supplement ie. orthodontics and eye care. No health spending account unless senior level. If you wanted to attend training out of province, there was no support (only for Ontario, Quebec employees), no financial support for moving unless senior level and yet we were promised a two year career upgrade which simply wasn’t available unless you were will to move to Ontario (East). Annual bonuses were insulting given the bonuses for the managers we supported (it was their discretion). The expectation to support FIVE managers (travel, invoices, correspondence, event planning, guest relations, editing and publications) was truly just an insult. Three month notice for vacation planning and then a use-it-or-lose it attitude with no pay back.

Cons

24/7 expectation and no recognition. Insulting compensation and benefits.

Worst place to work/ You will get a mental health Issue

From work place to management it’s absolutely disgusting. I used to love BMO’s code of conduct but those are beautiful writings on papers and no one cares about them anymore!!! that is why BMO was the first financial institution in Canada but at the present it’s smaller than all other Banks. They don’t train their employees or just gives them some classes that it’s just a waste of time and most of the times leave New Hired ones to learn from daily transactions (you know what happens if you miss with customer’s money!!!) On top of that you have to learn Favouritism otherwise this is not a good place to work. Who ever you see at BMO that has reached to the top, they have to climb through the stressful situations and he/she will pass the stress to subordinates. I regret months of my time I wasted there. The manager there is really a stressful person.

Pros

Cons

All and everything

Fraud

The Fraud department is poorly managed. I would definitely not recommend this department - Unpaid overtime, hardly any recognition, unfair promotions, favourtism...

Pros

Employee shares program

Cons

Too many to list

Terrible management, pay, and treatment of staff. Extreme pressure to up-sell.

Everything about it was terrible. After being told my start date, I relocated to another province over a weekend. The start date got pushed later 3 times until it was a month late. Training was not started with the online class until 3 weeks behind. Assistant Manager wouldn’t take ownership. Thrown into the position without finishing training and treated terribly for not knowing what to do. Not given enough hours and paid barely more than minimum wage. Extreme pressure to make sales for MasterCard, Upgrade Accounts, Travel Insurance etc. I had a perfect record for customer feedback but low sales. In my 6 month employee evaluation I was reprimanded for my low sales and when I brought up my great customer service I was told by the Assistant Manager (this is a direct quote), “BMO doesn’t give a f*#% about you customer service and unless you get your sales up you won’t be around very long!” The other employee that was hired at the same time as I was quit within the first month. I stuck it out way too long, transferred to another branch believing it would be better. It was worse!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement