Blyth Academy

Blyth Academy Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
I taught at one of their schools for a semester in the summer. Expectations from management were low, and easy to meet. My class had seven students and only one was problematic. I didn't think I was being paid enough to "work away my summer". I take pride in my work and this helped classes go smoothly, but I got the sense that other teachers there were phoning it in as a paycheque ... this made me slightly resentful.
Pros
Expectations from Management are low
Cons
Anyone who takes pride in their work will not see it appreciated
It's just a place for rich and spoiled kids. They just pay to get high marks. Management is completely incompetent. Principal is rude with teachers. What is important for Blyth is just money (like most of private schools in Canada).
Pros
Cons
It's a very long list!
It's important to emphasize that this is a very unstable teaching role as salaries and/or your status within the company can change at any given time.
Pros
Collaborative environment, friendly staff
Cons
Lack of policy and procedure, it's a credit mill, low wages for teachers
Working as a student representative, I only had to attend a few meetings that rarely exceeded 2 hours. I would be there to answer questions since i had previous first-hand knowledge of the programs.
I absolutely regret leaving that job place but for personal reasons, which I could not share, I had to leave the place. It was a real pleasure working with staff and students at that school and especially the principal was very understanding and accommodating. My circumstances were as such that I had to leave immediately, but not because I did not like the school. Indeed that was one of the best environment I ever worked.
Very supportive team. The principle was very organized and supportive.
Every thing was well arranged.

It was lot of work but I learnt a lot in the Blyth Academy.
This should not be an educational institution. They do not care about the quality of the teaching or the students. This is a place where rich people come to pay for good grades. The company also doesn't care about their teachers. Teachers are often doing unpaid work and when they are paid it is a low wage.
Such a fun atmosphere to be a part of. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. They made me feel very comfortable and were easy to approach. So fun
Blyth is a private high school, and I was contracted to come and teach a single class, part-time. The experience was overall enjoyable, although there was little in the way of leadership
The department I work in is very well managed. I would say that sometimes it takes a while for my supervisor to respond to me but overall I have had a good experience working here over the past two years.
High Stress low pay environment. Management only cares about the bottom dollar. Lots of pressure to compromise your teaching integrity to give high grades.

Place for rich kids to come get good marks to get into university.

Tends to give the better positions to white teachers.
Blyth is a great place for furthering education. The school life can be as full as a regular school or as minimal as a tutoring establishment depending on each student. A wonderful business and institution which caters to a wide range of students.
-great place to work
-interesting way to get started in teaching

-great principal

-bureaucratic structure within company

-run like a company sometimes

-tough job security

-great group of diverse students
This is the absolutely worst private school in Canada. It is currently defending a class action suit for breaking labour laws related to the teachers.
Pros
End of the day
Cons
Everything else
Organized tours for the school for potential students. Also acted as a tour guide, interacting with parents and potential students by providing background on the school, showing them the school grounds as well as answering any questions they might have.
Pros
Fast, free pizza
Cons
Volunteer work so no pay
It was interesting experience working at Blyth Academy. It was a relaxed and casual atmosphere for cultivating learning. People are wonderful and the principal is very approachable and understanding.
Blyth is a wonderful organization. It is a private school that is very versatile and meets many needs for various students. Many students attend part-time for course credits, summer courses or off season learning. Teachers are well trained and very helpful. The small group learning environment is ideal for personalized education.
Pros
Flexible course schedules for private courses
Cons
Limited large group events and activities
I like work in this school, most of the staffs here are very nice and helpful. I was new there and they gave me a lot of help and patience.
The salary is pretty good as well .
Pros
salary is good
Cons
I live too far from that campus, that campus is not close to subway station
Blyth Academy, is a private based in Toronto. It has many different campuses spread throughout the world and offers a wide variety of programs. Working at Blyth is very eye opening in the world of business and education. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to go out for lunch with colleagues and your boss. The hardest part of the job were the long hours.
The pay rate is bellow average for teaching, even within the private school system. Contracts are per course, and can only be renewed at the end of a course if another one is available. The listings are emailed in bulk, so you don't have time to ask any questions. Teachers are also expected to respond to parents emails on their own time.
Be prepared to photocopy everything. An unnecessary amount (and request) of paperwork, which have been known to create a lot of stress, and less personal time, if it is the first time you are teaching the subject. You will learn a lot about preparation while working here. In some cases, be prepared not to get re-hired if a parent complains about you--as this school is all about its image and little or no teacher support when parents complain! No loyalty when it comes to re-hiring some teachers, even if they are excellent teachers! A great experience for references though!
Cons
Low pay, no job security and you pay your taxes