Blyth Academy Employee Reviews

Absolutely terrible experience. The worst school I have ever worked at. Avoid at all costs. Made me hate teaching and the unpaid prep hours. is about
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence Park9 April 2018
This is the absolutely worst private school in Canada. It is currently defending a class action suit for breaking labour laws related to the teachers.
Pros
End of the day
Cons
Everything else
Volunteer work was quick and efficient
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 March 2018
Organized tours for the school for potential students. Also acted as a tour guide, interacting with parents and potential students by providing background on the school, showing them the school grounds as well as answering any questions they might have.
Pros
Fast, free pizza
Cons
Volunteer work so no pay
Relaxed atmosphere
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burlington, Ont13 March 2018
It was interesting experience working at Blyth Academy. It was a relaxed and casual atmosphere for cultivating learning. People are wonderful and the principal is very approachable and understanding.
Excellent teaching experience
Part-time Administrator & teacher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 November 2017
Blyth is a wonderful organization. It is a private school that is very versatile and meets many needs for various students. Many students attend part-time for course credits, summer courses or off season learning. Teachers are well trained and very helpful. The small group learning environment is ideal for personalized education.
Pros
Flexible course schedules for private courses
Cons
Limited large group events and activities
Nice school to work at and good co-workers to work with
Part- time Mandarin teacher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 June 2017
I like work in this school, most of the staffs here are very nice and helpful. I was new there and they gave me a lot of help and patience.
The salary is pretty good as well .
Pros
salary is good
Cons
I live too far from that campus, that campus is not close to subway station
Productive Workplace
Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2017
Blyth Academy, is a private based in Toronto. It has many different campuses spread throughout the world and offers a wide variety of programs. Working at Blyth is very eye opening in the world of business and education. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to go out for lunch with colleagues and your boss. The hardest part of the job were the long hours.
Low pay and uncertain employment.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2017
The pay rate is bellow average for teaching, even within the private school system. Contracts are per course, and can only be renewed at the end of a course if another one is available. The listings are emailed in bulk, so you don't have time to ask any questions. Teachers are also expected to respond to parents emails on their own time.
Blyth Life
Teacher / Student Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 December 2016
Cons
Low pay, no job security and you pay your taxes
Great, supportive staff, low pay and high turn-over
Term Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
Worked with some great teachers who supported each other. Flexibility with private and semi-private studies and small class size with 4-12 students. Do not teach more than 1 -2 subjects as the work hours is from 8.45 - 4 pm. Be prepared to photocopy everything. An unnecessary amount (and request) of paperwork, which have been known to create a lot of stress, and less personal time, if it is the first time you are teaching the subject. You will learn a lot about preparation while working here. In some cases, be prepared not to get re-hired if a parent complains about you--as this school is all about its image and little or no teacher support when parents complain! No loyalty when it comes to re-hiring some teachers, even if they are excellent teachers! A great experience for references though!
Pros
Flexible hours, and friendly work environment
Cons
Low pay, no job security and you pay your taxes
Very friendly workplace
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2015
Best place I've ever worked. I liked the team from the first working day. Even if I was 90% of the time working from home, the team was pleasant with me every single time I came to the office.
Pros
Best team
great place to work
Math Teacher (Senior Division) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2015
I developed a lot professionally while working there. Great team, and hard working colleagues. The school was also very centrally located.
Wonderful administration and great solid co-workers.
Teacher (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2014
Great entry position for teaching. Small classroom environment provides opportunity to interact with students on a more personal level. Challenges are not insurmountable but the preparation takes away much of my personal time.

Best parts: teaching beside wonderful and great teachers, and great students!
Pros
Co-workers and Flexibility
Cons
Limited downtime, job security
Physics and math teacher for grades 11 and 12 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2014
It was a part time job, but the company is very well organized and the staff friendly
Very easy job. Great staff members, though management lacked organization and communication.
ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Whitby8 January 2014
I would arrive an hour before the school opened and got prepared for the day. Reviewed my 'to-do' list that I created the day prior and prioritized my day accordingly. I answered phone calls, emails and staff/student questions throughout the day as well as keeping up with hourly tasks.
Blyth helped me learn how to create a variety of different emails, memos, notices, newsletters, and several other documents that will help me in future jobs.
This position required a lot of interaction with a variety of different people and I would have to say that that was my favorite part of this job. My least favorite was the lack of communication between the Head of School and all other staff members including myself. This really hindered the schools productivity and at busier times of the year, it would cause a lot of unnecessary stress on the teachers and myself.
Blyth gave me the opportunity to show off all the skills I had obtained in my previous jobs in the service industry, to a more structured business environment.
Pros
working side by side with amazing teachers
Cons
all staff worked overtime/through breaks often, without pay.
Great Students, Great Staff, Poor Hours, Poor Pay
Teacher (Former Employee) –  85 St. Nicholas Street20 November 2013
The workday for a teacher is from 9-4:15 (with only a 30 minute lunch break). It is a long day of three 2h15m classes.

The staff is full of dedicated teachers and an excellent support staff. The administration is very understanding and

There is an unrealistic amount of paperwork requested from teachers. No prep-periods and no sick days, no benefits and poor pay.

The student body consists of mostly hard working dedicated, friendly students. Class sizes range from 4-14, which is very nice. There is also always opportunities to teach private courses, which is less work but poorer pay.
Pros
Excellent Staff, Great Students
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Pay, Paperwork