BLUSH LANE ORGANIC MARKET Employee Reviews

Terrible workplace environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2019
They hire people on a 90 day probation period and then let people go for inappropriate reasons. They don't have to give a reason by law on a probationary period but they certainly never did with me after I asked several times. Terrible management.
casual
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2019
nice workplace, gave good experience and allowed quick and an easy learning environment. I liked the people who worked there it was an overall good experience.
Wonderful Atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2019
Blush Lane is a wonderful company, filled with like-minded individuals who genuinely care for people. Without a shadow of a doubt, beautiful company. I strongly feel that those who work there care for each other which strongly dictates the work environment. It is a family that you grow to love and some of the best work experiences I've had have been at Blush Lane.
Great Employees
Dairy Purchaser/Clerk/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2019
I enjoyed all of the great people I worked with over the years at this company. The discount on produce and food was excellent. Some of the customers were extremely difficult to deal with.
Pros
discount
Cons
rude customers
Do not apply at Blush Lane
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  8135 102 St NW Edmonton AB T6E 4A4 Canada8 February 2019
I was hired in late November 2018 for a p/t position in their Produce Department. Everything was going just fine. I was showing up on time for my shifts and trying to do my job as best I could with the lack of training I was receiving. I noticed little things with the other employees like how too many people were now working there, how there was drama among the regular workers, favouritism, lack of safety for the workers, etc. The position they hired me for was entirely because they were rolling out a new grab and go section of sliced fruits and veggies so basically they needed a person early in the mornings to prep. I could tell very early on that the program would need continued improvements in order to not only be profitable but make getting the job done in a safe, timely manner. The kitchen was much too small to accommodate these needs. After my 2nd week on the job they fired me. Here’s how they did it (very sneaky btw): my produce manager called me a few days before I was to come in and told me that HE only needed me to start at 8:30am and not the original, usual 5am start. I asked why and HE said because they didn’t need me the whole day. So ok sure. I noticed that in Kronus (app you can download to see your schedule) had not been edited to reflect 8:30am start rather then 5am start. However I was told to come in at 8.30am. I figure HE was too busy to change this and everything was fine. So I walked into work with 10 minutes to spare. I hadn’t had a chance to take off my jacket when the store manager called me into the office with the Produce Manager present. Both guys  more... handed me a termination letter. I asked why they were letting me go and they said, “it just didn’t work out”. At this I remembered they are not legally obligated to give a reason to termination in the first 3 months of pprobation yet I did nothing to prompt this termination. Later on I found out they hired too many people and they were losing money on their not so well thought out prep program. So in the end I am happy somewhere else but they wasted people’s time and effort and fired me right before Xmas. I was lied by these guys and probably set up to make it look like I was hours late to work and yet that was not the case. I wouldn’t apply here cause these people seem very shady. Also far leftist in my own opinion.  less
Pros
Free gluten free muffins
Cons
Shady management
Dead end
Grocery (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2018
They want to play with the big boys but they are the minors. I had high hopes that they would be worth the low pay but alas. There are way better places to work so keep looking.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay bare minimum, better off working at the mall
Great Employer
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2018
Blush lane was a really fun place to work, the team was great.
The atmosphere was light hearted and genuine and they really care about their staff. a great employer.
Management takes no responsibility
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2018
I had a terrible time working here. No training. No guidance. Everyones over worked and expected to perform without proper training. The management lacks basic communication skills and seems to be Judgemental. Would not recommend to anyone. I feel as though they are not about the people which is sad. They are like a nasty corporation.
Benefits
Cons
Over worked
Very good place of employment
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2018
The management is very good and easy to work with. Everyone is super friendly and ready to help. There is a lot of room to grow and you will get recognized if you work hard.
Pros
Amazing oportunities
Cons
Great co workers not so great management
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2018
The head chef would always put up ads for jobs that weren’t available at one point we would have 15-17 people in a kitchen that can only have about 6-7 people in it and we would all be working on garbage carts and carts to transport food the only days it wasn’t that crowded was the weekends and even then it was still hard. There was one time me and another co work thought we had black mold (we didn’t) in the hood vents we brought it to the head chef and sous chefs attention and it wasn’t dealt with till I personally brought up with the corporate chef and then it was dealt with and we discovered that they get there hood vents cleaned ONCE A YEAR which is disgusting and I couldn’t believe we were preparing food around that along with we never deep cleaned unless me and one other staff member would push people to do deep cleans
I remember the first time me and my other co worker did deep cleans it was a slow Saturday and we had nothing to do it took us 5 hours just to clean half the back wall and half the hood vents
They were disgusting
No one ever deep sweeper or properly cleaned the fridge
It’s a great place to work if you wanna work for people who don’t a heck about there employees in the kitchen
You won’t be properly trained and will be excepted to learn on your own cause we don’t train people :)
Pros
Could do whatever you wanted when management was gone
Cons
Almost everything and super boring almost no stimulation if you like working in kitchens
Wonderful experience
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2017
A really relaxed and professional workplace with friendly and knowledgeable staff and management. A wonderful company with a great empathises on local and organic foods.
Upper Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2017
This company has a tendency of posting for positions when they are already occupied. Not cool. So what happens is someone will see their position posted on indeed wonder what's going on and then get fired in a couple weeks when they find a replacement. Not a good way to run an ethical business
Fun enviroment
cashier (Former Employee) –  edmonton9 January 2017
The management team is very supportive of their workers. They are understand when it comes to requested time off and sick days. They will allow you to pick up extra shifts in other departments if you need more hours.
Fun, Healthy, Lots to learn
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2016
Excellent part-time job. As of now, it has been my favourite job I've had. Learned a lot about vegetables and fruit and mushrooms, you name it. The outdoor markets are especially fun. The owners are great people.
Friendly environment, Productive days but not enough hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 December 2015
A typical day at work would be I open my till in the cash office then I would head downstairs put my cash drawer in the till and then I would start bagging apples and begin helping costumers and serving them throughout my shift.I learned that management was very nice and helpful, I learned about a variety of vegetables and some ways I could prepare them I also learned the history of Blush Lane Organic's. Management was helpful and nice but they didn't give me the hours that the manger and I had agreed on. I was looking for full time but would also take part-time with a minimum of 35 hours.My co-workers were very nice and helpful they guided me on how many kilos my apple bags should be and also showed me where everything is in the store if i need to grab more of something.The hardest part of my job was finding fruit and vegetables in the different categories on the flip chart.The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with new people and helping others and learning new things everyday.
Pros
Great staff and management nice working enviroment
Cons
Not enough hours