Blue sky Family Care Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 March 2019
Almost two years in and have never had any issues with management or staff. Do workers sometimes end up working extended shifts? Yes. This however, is part of the career choice these workers have made. We live in a province where there are a shortage of many types of workers. (Nurses, Doctors, Care workers). The wage is absolutely a livable wage. You won’t get rich, that’s true. I feel it’s like any company and any job. Some people will love it due to it being their passion, others will not. It is absolutely not for everyone.
Pros
Training and support
Cons
It’s not home
Not a enjoyable place to work
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL5 March 2019
You are basically thrown into these houses with very little training and support. For the amount of work and responsibility you have the amount of pay is not worth it at all. Would not reccomend this company to anyone your better off going to key assets or way points !!!
Pros
Non
Cons
No support, little training
I am a 12 yr Blue Sky Veteran
Cycw (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 February 2019
I have worked here for 12 hrs in many positions from frontline to management back to frontline. I enjoy frontline the most . There have been days I’ve cried with kids and laughed with kids . There are days I get home and what to quit because it’s been a challenge . Then there are days I get home and cry because I’ve seen a child’s heart break.

There posts on here about staffing shortages and I can tell you I’ve only experienced one in my 12 years.

If you read the negative reviews you will see mostly complaints former employees have towards the employer. What you aren’t getting to see is how rewarding it can be to work in this field .

You get to work as part of a team - I have met some of my best friends since starting here .

You get a rotational schedule - I know I’m off on August 23,2019! How many jobs can provide you with that ! You work 14 days out of the month . This week I’m off Monday , Tuesday , Friday, Saturday AND Sunday !!! Lots of time for self care and napping

You also switch between nights and days . So you can finish that book that’s been on your bedside table all winter .

There are so many opportunities for training .

Most importantly you get to be apart of some pretty great kids lives. You get to teach them they are loved and cared for. Some days may be challenging while others may be filled with tea parties, movies or board games. I hope you know the words to baby shark or how to play Fortnite !

I’ll never work at another youth care agency.
Pros
Rotational Schedules. Paid week off every 12 weeks. Kids being loved.
Cons
Long hours, no benefits. Current shortage but that’s where you as a new hire can help!
Horrible Environment
CYCW (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 February 2019
Horrible place to work! Between CSSD and Blue sky these kids don't have a chance. Yes, a lot have been through a great deal of trauma but nothing is being done to help them get through it and develop strategies so that they can become productive members of society when they grow up. Instead they are growing with adults in authority who bend to their every whims, outbursts and demands. IT'S NOT HELPING THEM!
Pros
Cons
No benefits, Too many to list
Stay away
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 January 2019
They are ALWAYS in a staffing shortage which causes constant 24 hour shifts being forced onto you. No vacation time is approved so you are forced to call in sick if you need a day off. Management does not appreciate the work you do but don't hesitate to sit you down in the office and write you up over the smallest things. Kids are in total control with no discipline so be prepared to get punched in the face or kicked in the knees on the regular. Please stay away from this company!!! They also pay the lowest out of all companies in St. John's for a CYCW.
Pros
Cons
Management, Constantly forced overtime
Mentally Draining
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 January 2019
If you value your sanity stay away from this company.I worked for them for 2 years and dealt with every kind of situation.They use you and abuse you.The worst job i ever had.
Horrible Company
Former Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL9 January 2019
I have no idea how this company is still allowed to operate! Management is deplorable and operate on a favouritism basis; majority of workers are plucked off the street with NO background in the field; organization is inadequate at best; workers turn on each other constantly and then expect the clients to be respectful; clients are permitted to do basically anything they wish including abusing workers. CSSD really turned a blind eye to this organization.
Pros
A free toque if you ask for one
Cons
Horrible shifts, no management support, two-faced co-workers, dangerous working conditions
Pros and Cons
Child and Youth Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 January 2019
I learned a lot, as a recent graduate fresh out of school. A lot of great experiences and many poor ones. Management being the number one issue, and lack of support for staff. Hiring criteria needs to be revamped as it seems untrained staff is the biggest issue and would prevent a lot of the issues they are having. High burn out rate due to this which has a very large impact on the youth.
Steer clear of blue sky
Child and yiurh car worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 December 2018
This place is AWFUL. As a child and youth care worker it absolutely broke my heart to work for the blue sky. You want to help the kids the best way you can but honestly this company does not care about the kids, they do not have any supports for the children or the staff. They do not care about you because you are replaceable to them. My mother passed away when working for them and I took the week off and they threatened to fire me if I didn’t go back to work ASAP. They are absolutely horrible, I would write up daily reports and incidents and if they like that the reports didn’t show them as successful they would get the managers to re write them before sending them to the social workers. Please please do not work here, apply to key assets, way points, choices for youths, shalom, any where but here if you truly want to work with youth in a positive environment. They do not care about the overall care of the kids, if they can cut corners and save money they will, if they can give the bare minimum and get away with it they will. THEY DO NOT CARE.
I’d give BlueSky 0 stars if I could
CYCW (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 December 2018
Worst experience. This company does not care or respect their workers. This position could be so rewarding, if only the company cared enough. You are expected to fend for yourself as a worker. Stay clear.
Cons
Absolutely everything
Awful company with no support for their staff
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 November 2018
What an awful experience... they do not respect their employees or appreciate the work they do. Too much expected for bad pay/no benefits. Prepare to potentially be injured because there are no real consequences for these kids due to their own traumas. They are not disciplined, and do not receive any repercussions for their ill behaviour. The kids control everything and workers just have to deal with it and pretend it’s okay.
Bad bad company
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 June 2018
This company has horrible management, their employees are undertrained (they will literally hire anyone who has an education). They do not have benefits and the pay is really not good for the amount of work you have to do. This company does not care about their staff or their clients and I will never again work there.
Not an enjoyable place
Child and Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador16 March 2018
I worked with Blue sky for about a year and a half. I did learn a lot as I had just graduated but as soon as I got another job offer I was quickly out of there. They do not give the homes enough money to provide food, let alone activities for the kids. The social workers even think blue sky is a joke and you can’t blame them. It’s a place I’m not proud to say I worked. It’s one of those places that you get a job to get a bit of experience and then you go somewhere better (Key Assets or way points) .
Pros
Cons
No support, no benifits, poor pay, negative attitude
Worst place I've ever worked.
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 February 2018
They'll hire anyone, experienced or inexperienced. The workers are thrown into a home with no prior training before starting the job. You usually have to wait a couple of months before you even get any training. The training isn't even close to preparing you for half of the situations you'll face while on the job. If you apply for this job make sure you have your own health insurance/benefits because this company doesn't have benefits. Poor management, poor training, and poor work environment overall. Worst job I've ever had. This company is for profit, and it clearly shows. Don't get your hopes up if you think being a worker at this company changes lives, because really you're just paid to be a babysitter and the youth run the show!
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Worst place I’ve ever worked
Child and Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 January 2018
Hands down the worst company I’ve ever worked for. The company is for-profit and no matter how badly you want to help the kids the company will never allow you to do so if it costs them a single penny or more. There are other companies around that do the same work with better pay, benefits, and flexibility.
Pros
Can’t think of one
Cons
Bad pay, no benefits, do not listen to concerns, continue to hire untrained individuals
Significant experience within the field.
CHILD AND YOUTH CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 November 2017
As a child and youth care worker you must be prepared to face many personalities and some difficult situations. I believe my time with Blue Sky shaped me to work and navigate with set personalities and situations. Blue Sky provided sufficient training and I value the knowledge I gained through working with this company.
Bad place to work
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador27 August 2017
Terrible management! No support for the workers ! When someone calls in sick , after just working 12 hours you HAVE to stay if no one will come in!!! No benefits
Terrible Manegment
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 July 2017
These poor kids have been placed into a for profit organization that doesnt care about them. The management is terrible. they do not care about you or anyone else as long as they are making money. A.H (the interviewer) is terrible. don't ever work for this company.
Pros
not a thing
Cons
everything
fun work place
Child and Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 July 2017
excellent work ethic. The company is much more organized as compared to other care companies in the region. The salary is also comparably better than other companies.
Great staff fun with co-workers
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 March 2017
I enjoyed the work I had to do and the people I worked with. It involved dealing with personal and sometimes disturbing information that had to be kept confidential. Consideration was given if a situation was mentally challenging. There were courses given to deal with certain situations. There was also upgrading available if needed.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not enough time