Blue Mountain logo
Blue Mountain

Blue Mountain Management reviews

Clear

I loved my job.

I really loved my time at Blue Mountain. Having worked at other Ski Resorts I’ve learnt just how great Blue really was! They’d keep staff informed of resort changes, you would always be up to date & know what was needed of you. Regular meetings with management to discuss performance / opportunities. They also truly value staff feedback, which was so refreshing. Personal and professional development was offered. There were opportunities to grow. The perks were fantastic & my salary was suited for the seasonal role! My manager was also fantastic, as was senior management when I needed to interact.

Pros

Ski pass, rentals, retail & fb discount, lessons

Stressful & No Teamwork

Managers are very critical of how the employees work and the senior co-workers are always looking for ways to get the new workers fired. Job isn't secure.

Pros

Free coffee and hot meals available during the seasons

Cons

Management, Co-Workers & job security

Fun atmosphere, beautiful views. Management needs improvement.

They have a benefits system set up that only allows CORE employees to receive benefits but they make it nearly impossible to get CORE designation. Employee reviews are frequently skipped or postponed and forgotten about. Raises are yearly and based on job performance but are around 60 cents extra per hour. The management team seems more interested in distracting disappointed employees with temporary prizes or incentives. The company likes to reward exceptional employees with small prizes like an ice cream cone, $5 gift cards, $10 gift cards, or at the most, a trip to the spa. Quarterly they do a free lunch. Once or twice a year they do a discounted hockey game/Canada's Wonderland trip. Management is over-worked and have very little time for employee concerns. HR protects the company from employee concerns rather than assists the employee in addressing those concerns with the company. Promotions are not frequent, they do a lot of external hiring, and the internal promotions are largely based on popularity rather than merit or seniority. The atmosphere is a great help, and the environment is beautiful. Fellow employees are friendly and fun.

Pros

Beautiful and fun atmosphere, free ski pass for employee and immediate family, cheap Canada's Wonderland trip

Cons

Poor wages, over-worked management, concerns go ignored, no real room for advancement.

Staff and management were friendly and supportive.

Busiest time was at the weekend where work could be hectic. Weekdays was more relaxed. Staff and management were friendly. The resort provided accomadation and were helpful when you needed help for anything including accomadation issues or to life in Canada in general.

A Horror movie experience

Worked here for 3.5 years. The worst days of my life. Supervisor and management don't care. They have there favorites and doesn't matter how hard you work. Well supervisors and management a d there favorites have smoke breaks all day.they allow work place violence and stealing. and don't say a word because they are there favorites and you get written up. No matter how hard you work. They don't care about you.the stuff I seen in carpets from bloody mattress to Farr beyond was exnore. If your wise. RUN FROM THIS JOB.

Had a great experience working at blue

I worked in the rentals department from late November to late march and had a great experience all the supervisors and management staff was amazing. You received plenty of training prior to my first shift. At times, especially holidays and weekends it could get very busy and be a very fast paced environment, but on slower days it was very relaxed. They did their best to accommodate all scheduling requests. Another great thing was all the perks you got resort wide.

Pros

Resort wide discounts

personnel is an expendable commodity

if you like - to be regarded as an expendable day labourer - to be treated like a serf - suck up to your managers - have the attitude minimum wage = minimum effort - can't be bothered to think on the job - don't mind double faced superiors who bend or invent company policies as they please - beeing sent home if there are few customers then you will like it there and have an easy job you can advance in hirarchy move up from Operator to Teamlead with an incredible salary hike of 80 cts per hour. The so called perks aren't worth it when you look at it. - free skiing: compare that to the pre season sale of the 5x7 pass and you'll find it has little value. - 30% off merchandise: you can get that by shopping online Staff rooms with exception to the one in Central Lodge which is visible to the public are a filthy mess filled with junk furniture which shows you the attitude towards staff

Working in the Kitchen.

In my time at in the blue mountain kitchen i loved the management and the management system, it was very organized. Keeping employees was an entirely different issue. A poor wage mixed with a stressful job accompanied by 70-80 hour work weeks leaves the busy season with a bad taste in your mouth. Flipped over to the slow season where management forces you out to save money, you will find you are always pushed about. benefits and security are why you choose Blue Mountain. otherwise it will be a hard fought career.

OVER worked under paid

understaffed , Huge turnover rate , they should stop crafting there "careers " as an Experience ' and more as an actual Career with room for advancement & year round employees

Its good, but...

I am going into my third season here, and I feel that I am now qualified to tell you some things you need to know before applying at Blue Mountain. Pros: 1: It's pretty easy work. Most of the jobs you may be doing are very easy. Some management jobs may be a bit more difficult, but a "standard" position, (for example Rental Attendant, Lodge Attendant, Ski School Instructor) it is quite easy. It can also be quite fun. 2: Perks. As an employee, there are many perks. You get to ski for free (free rentals if you don't have your own equipment), and you get discounted food, drinks and things in the village. You can also get discount on hotel rooms. Cons: 1: Favoritism. I saw another person on here saying something called "The Gang", and I agree with that. If you are in this so called "Gang", you can get away with anything. I have come across some people not doing anything, and others getting heckled even when they work twice as hard as their co-workers. Some departments are better than others at this. 2: Scheduling. They ask you for your schedule preferences, then (usually if you aren't in "The Gang") they ignore them. I had to talk to several managers and supervisors just to get hours that I am comfortable working. In conclusion, Blue Mountain is a great place to work, but you have to watch out for a couple things.

Jobs at Blue Mountain

See more jobs

Fun place to work

It was a good job for the winter season, it was easy to book off shifts or get them replaced with a co worker. The management in the south lodge is pretty good, I felt like they cared about me there.

Ok work

Work is ok, but Management is not great. They tend to let people go for fabricated reasons.

Great perks but bad management

Great place to work for a season or 2 but once you are in you get to understand how clingy management is, especially human resources. If you are not part of the ""gang" you most likely not going to get a promotion. Some people are nice.

Pros

Perks

Cons

Clingy management, no plan for professional grow

Fun atmosphere

Worked with this company seasonally for many years. Management team is great to work and make a fun environment. The jobs comes with many perks (season pass, discounts, benefits)

Pros

Many benefits included with job

Cons

Seasonal

An experience but only for a short period

The staff are great to work with, very diverse and multi cultural. Work becomes tedious and repetitive after a while. Management could do with some improvements

Pros

Hours and pay

Cons

Management not up to par

review

great place to work with great people. Management is very friendly and you feel respected. The hardest part of the job is sometimes completing the unit on time for unexpected early arrivals(customers). I've learned many skills how to properly make a bed from beginning to end housekeeping standard. Also cleaning an entire unit bathroom kitchen and bedroom. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my coworkers.

great place fantastic staff

great place to work fantastic staff supervisors and management , i think they were upset with me because never came back for the winter season, my drive is too long and during a storm would have been brutal ,, sorry too all who i let down.. you all have been wonderful during the summer season... worked in the waste area of the resort.

Pros

great staff

Cons

pay

Fun Place to Work for a Season

It's a fun place to work. The pay is minimum wage and you feel like they don't care about you at all because they can hire you're replacement pretty fast from all over the world. Management in the lifts department anyway is crooked. Don't plan on staying and advancing anywhere, but it's a decent job to work for a season. Everyone I worked with were really nice people.

Pros

Free ski pass, 40 percent off at the lodge food (crazy overpriced, so its not much of a deal)

Cons

standing in the cold all day making no money kinda sucks, management was a mess, some of the "team leads" and supervisors were on a power trip half of the time.

Great place to start

Working for Rusty's I found a home, somewhere to hone my customer service skills and a very motivated and active management team that pushed me to look for more in my work.

Pros

flexible

Cons

commute

Easy to make friends Staff are friendly and approachable Management is professional Job perks are great Many employee discounts Growth opportunities Flexible schedules

Pros

Employee Lift Pass

Cons

Seasonal Work

Great place to workt

busy and fun environment. safety is key. management is interested in employee feed back. teamwork encouraged. great benefits. snowboard for free. great workplace culture

Pros

free activities

Cons

short seasonsy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Mountain. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement