Blue Mountain logo

Blue Mountain Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.5Job security & advancement

I loved my job.

I really loved my time at Blue Mountain. Having worked at other Ski Resorts I’ve learnt just how great Blue really was! They’d keep staff informed of resort changes, you would always be up to date & know what was needed of you. Regular meetings with management to discuss performance / opportunities. They also truly value staff feedback, which was so refreshing. Personal and professional development was offered. There were opportunities to grow. The perks were fantastic & my salary was suited for the seasonal role! My manager was also fantastic, as was senior management when I needed to interact.

Pros

Ski pass, rentals, retail & fb discount, lessons

Stressful & No Teamwork

Managers are very critical of how the employees work and the senior co-workers are always looking for ways to get the new workers fired. Job isn't secure.

Pros

Free coffee and hot meals available during the seasons

Cons

Management, Co-Workers & job security

Fun atmosphere, beautiful views. Management needs improvement.

They have a benefits system set up that only allows CORE employees to receive benefits but they make it nearly impossible to get CORE designation. Employee reviews are frequently skipped or postponed and forgotten about. Raises are yearly and based on job performance but are around 60 cents extra per hour. The management team seems more interested in distracting disappointed employees with temporary prizes or incentives. The company likes to reward exceptional employees with small prizes like an ice cream cone, $5 gift cards, $10 gift cards, or at the most, a trip to the spa. Quarterly they do a free lunch. Once or twice a year they do a discounted hockey game/Canada's Wonderland trip. Management is over-worked and have very little time for employee concerns. HR protects the company from employee concerns rather than assists the employee in addressing those concerns with the company. Promotions are not frequent, they do a lot of external hiring, and the internal promotions are largely based on popularity rather than merit or seniority. The atmosphere is a great help, and the environment is beautiful. Fellow employees are friendly and fun.

Pros

Beautiful and fun atmosphere, free ski pass for employee and immediate family, cheap Canada's Wonderland trip

Cons

Poor wages, over-worked management, concerns go ignored, no real room for advancement.

Work in the great outdoors.

Great culture. Being a ski instructor at Blue is a rewarding career. Skiing everyday and being immersed in nature is a wonderful feeling. I loved working at Blue

Pros

Good exercise, great culture

Cons

Very cold some nights, lots of bending

My experience

My experience working at Blue Mountain was great! I worked in house keeping / room attendant for a year. Great supervisors, friendly staff and good a atmosphere. Would highly recommend working for blue mountain.

Working in the Kitchen.

In my time at in the blue mountain kitchen i loved the management and the management system, it was very organized. Keeping employees was an entirely different issue. A poor wage mixed with a stressful job accompanied by 70-80 hour work weeks leaves the busy season with a bad taste in your mouth. Flipped over to the slow season where management forces you out to save money, you will find you are always pushed about. benefits and security are why you choose Blue Mountain. otherwise it will be a hard fought career.

Your just a number at Blue Mountain they don't care about staff

Promised full time contracts and as soon as the winter season was over the terminated almost everyone's contract early did not hold up their promise for full time. I was also promised a supervisor role and sponsorship, instead they kicked me out of my staff accommodation and gave me no hours so basically force you out before the end of whatever contract they give you. Backstabbers.

OVER worked under paid

understaffed , Huge turnover rate , they should stop crafting there "careers " as an Experience ' and more as an actual Career with room for advancement & year round employees

Great work place for some departments.

I personally worked as a lift operator/mechanic. My experience with that department was enjoyable. I was always learning and you can never ask to many questions. They are happy to keep you informed about anything you need to know. Best of luck to anyone who chooses this company for employment in the future! :)

Blue mt

Blue mt is not a good work place as seasonal employees are treated like awful from full time staff that have been there for many years this is why people do not return

Jobs at Blue Mountain

See more jobs

Like being with family

I have made a 17 year career at blue, every season every venture we go on we go on a team - family even. I truly don’t believe I would live in collingwood if Blue Mountain wasn’t as successful as we are.

Great perks but bad management

Great place to work for a season or 2 but once you are in you get to understand how clingy management is, especially human resources. If you are not part of the ""gang" you most likely not going to get a promotion. Some people are nice.

Pros

Perks

Cons

Clingy management, no plan for professional grow

Awesome

Interacted with customers and taught skiing.Was super fun and learnt a lot. Started the day at about 9am and ended at 3 30. Was great the whole time and teaching the kids really helped me improve my own skiing abilities.

Fun atmosphere

Worked with this company seasonally for many years. Management team is great to work and make a fun environment. The jobs comes with many perks (season pass, discounts, benefits)

Pros

Many benefits included with job

Cons

Seasonal

Loved working here.

Blue mountain Resort is a well oiled machine, with everyone knowing there role. the training was intense but well carried, the environment in general was amazing. The only reason I left was cause I was not properly medicated and I blew up at work and got laid off.

Pros

Cons

long shifts

Great Experience

I decided to go here to start travelling. It was a good experience where I gained lots of life skills. Was forced to return home as I was unable to afford Canadian medical costs, as Blue Mountain seasonal work is shorter than the 6 month minimum contract period the Ontario Provincial Government require to offer assistance in regards to medical costs.

Pros

It's a ski resort.

Cons

Isolation.

Great Management

Working here has taught me a lot about how great management can make your work experience a lot better. This helps because it holds the team together and they make the work environment somewhere you want to be.

Pros

A lot of staff activities

Lovely place to work!

Good benefits, good management, good work life, a lot to learn, your personal business always matters. Overall I would definitely recommend you to work here!

Pros

Lunches, benefits, work life

Cons

Great to be in the outdoors

If you are a truly inspired person by what you do or by being outside, then working here is wonderful. You get to be with a lot of like minded people and you get to do what you are passionate about. There are some really fun jobs to be offered here. Day to day you deal with a lot of tourists coming from all over the world. Your co-workers are usually pretty cultural. The hardest part of this job though can just be the upper level of management. Change can be pretty slow here because it is a large corporate company. You'll get the feeling of "if only they could be in my shoes". There is also room for advancing here, but with so many people looking to advance out of the bottom line positions, there is a lot of competition. You gotta know someone to get further.

Pros

discounts, outside, passionate positions, good people, coworkers, lower level management

Cons

upper level management, long hours, weather, pay, advancement

You learn a lot about the customer service industry

This job has definitely bettered my career in the hospitality industry. It is very fast paced job where you learn how to interact with guests, you learn great problem solving skills and you learn a lot about computers. This job has been a great experience as my coworkers, supervisors and managers are extremely understanding and welcoming!

Pros

you gain so many new skills

Cons

a lot to learn - always something new

Good once i understand

I had problem at first but you were helpful on getting to the right track it took me time as I am not good at computer. I asked for help and gave me the answer.

Pros

Cons

Had to understand at first
  • Blue Mountain